• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Velocity (PS3/PSP/Vita) - This game is awesome, I'll tell you why

Just want to say this is one of those things Sony needs to fix if they want Vita to be taken seriously. I want to buy the shit out of this game but I can't because someone borrowed my PS3. I don't care if they're targeting PS3 users when it comes to selling Vitas, but they need to make it convenient to purchase the content they want to sell. Being required to access the big brother just to purchase a game that's perfectly playable on Vita is annoying as shit.

Carl

Just want to say this is one of those things Sony needs to fix if they want Vita to be taken seriously. I want to buy the shit out of this game but I can't because someone borrowed my PS3. I don't care if they're targeting PS3 users when it comes to selling Vitas, but they need to make it convenient to purchase the content they want to sell. Being required to access the big brother just to purchase a game that's perfectly playable on Vita is annoying as shit.

Yup, SCEA is taking far too long and need to get their arse in gear. If SCEE can manage it, SCEA can too.

KalBalboa

Banned
This thread makes me think we need to either resurrect the original Minis thread or start a new Mini Appreciate thread that's focused on Vita compatible ones.

I keep trying new ones based on recommendations and I'm finding lots of keepers. Next on my list is I Must Run! and A Space Shooter For $2.

I am definitely one of those who typically don't bother with minis and thus passed this over. Fortunately this thread and the videos convinced me pick it up and I am not disappointed in the least. All of the mechanics are very well implemented and the gameplay is very fast (if you want it to be). A very fluid and entertaining experience, well worth the $5.

If this can get an HD revision with touch controls for the Vita, I will probably double dip.

This thread makes me think we need to either resurrect the original Minis thread or start a new Mini Appreciate thread that's focused on Vita compatible ones.

I keep trying new ones based on recommendations and I'm finding lots of keepers. Next on my list is I Must Run! and A Space Shooter For $2.

A new thread would be a great help (dedicated to the Vita at the least) or if someone knows a competent sight that reviews minis that would be great as well. I just got burned out by shitty apps on the apple store and shut myself off from a lot of these smaller experiences (unless it is through steam). It really doesn't help that there is nothing on the Playstation Store to help inform your purchases.

Takao

Banned
A new thread would be a great help (dedicated to the Vita at the least) or if someone knows a competent sight that reviews minis that would be great as well. I just got burned out by shitty apps on the apple store and shut myself off from a lot of these smaller experiences (unless it is through steam). It really doesn't help that there is nothing on the Playstation Store to help inform your purchases.

PSPMinis.com reviews every single one in existence.

Himself

Ok ok ok! I'll try it! Sheesh!

Looks right up my alley. What are generally considered the best Minis? I've never bothered with any because I assumed they were just shitty iOS equivalent games.

Damn I'm waiting on this 8GB card I bought from a fellow gaffer before I buy this (Backing up is a bitch) and it didn't come today I'll have to wait till Monday :(

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
So via USB hook it up and it will automatically transfer all the minis I have from the ps3 to vita?

If you connect them, and you choose the Vita connection app on the Vita, the Vita will explain all the necessary steps :)

Pretty easy and painless actually.

Agent X

Even so, it's worth reiterating. Edge only give high scores to those that really deserve them, so it's a real mark of how great the game is.

Good point.

Also, I've noticed with some of the larger multiplatform video game review outlets, they generally ignore most Minis unless a really impressive one pops up on the radar. In that case, the fact that they even bothered to take the time to write up a review is a sign that it's a game worthy of consideration. (Where is My Heart is another example of a Mini that got good media attention.)

IGN is a good example of this. When Minis first started, IGN tried to review most of them, but after a few months their coverage of Minis dwindled. Now they only post a review for a Mini if it's high profile and/or of outstanding quality.

recurv

Neo Member
Hi all!

Thanks so much for this thread, and all the positive feedback!

What a bonkers community you've got here, everything moves so fast!

I'll be happy to answer any questions you might have or to chat about Velocity, but it's getting late here in the UK and I've got family visiting.

If you have any questions drop them in and I'll get back on here in the next couple of days.

Thanks so much again, especially to corporate_cheerleader for the OP! :D

Cheers,

James @FuturLab

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Great game.

The music is so awesome - like a flashback to Sonic and Megaman style. Appealing to my OCD "must perfect every level" streak!

Funny how the games that have really grabbed my attention this year have all been ones for under a tenner - Pullblox, Journey, Motorstorm RC, And Velocity.

edit: I've just had to force myself to put this down. I'm going for perfects on every level I've cleared so far before moving on. "One more turn..." turns into dozens. It's so late. Eugh. This game is amazing. I NEED THIS SOUNDTRACK.

Carl

edit: I've just had to force myself to put this down. I'm going for perfects on every level I've cleared so far before moving on. "One more turn..." turns into dozens.

Yeah, exactly. Every time i play this game for "5 minutes" it ends up being far more than that. As i said earlier, it's the very definition of a "just one more go" game, to me,

I will have to start looking at more of the recommended Minis. I've only tried a few of the ones given away for free with PS+ and most of them were quite bad.

Velocity is brilliant though. I'm hoping for a "regular PSN-game" sequel.

Carl

Wishful thinking, but maybe Sony could financially help out Futurlab even a teensy little bit for a Vita game.

Suppose they could go with the Pub Fund or something, but i'm sure there are many things to think about before going into something like that. Some of which FuturLab possibly doesn't want? Who knows

Suppose they could go with the Pub Fund or something, but i'm sure there are many things to think about before going into something like that. Some of which FuturLab possibly doesn't want? Who knows

Maybe the fine prints in the contract aren't that fine at all? :/

@James: Would it cost you money to release Velocity avatars/wallpapers/themes on the PlayStation Store? It wouldn't be a bad idea to explore other revenues now that the iron is hot.

Carl

More people need to get this. It looks and plays awesomely on the Vita with that dpad.

Damn right. Hopefully this thread is doing good things for the game.

@James: Would it cost you money to release Velocity avatars/wallpapers/themes on the PlayStation Store? It wouldn't be a bad idea to explore other revenues now that the iron is hot.

That's a good idea. I'd definitely be down to buy a PSN avatar or two.

recurv

Neo Member
Hiya!

Got a bit of time to share a few thoughts :)

@corporate_cheerleader:
We created some stuff in PS Home for Coconut Dodge: http://www.futurlab.co.uk/coconut-dodge-items-in-ps-home-next-week.html

It was a lot of time and effort and not much in the way of reward (though it was fun running around with a crab head for a few minutes...).

We need to be really certain that what we put our time and energy into is going to progress us in the direction we want to go. I'd like to focus on building Velocity up as much as possible, and the way I think we need to do that is to make a full PSN/Vita version.

Hopefully we'll find a way of doing that. The easiest way would be for the word to spread and for people to buy the minis version, but we're not delusional about Velocity's appeal - it's for the people who want a proper addictive challenge, but can also see beyond the 8bit graphics and recognise good ideas. That's a relatively limited number of people - most of which seem to be on here :)

But there's a ton of other gamers that won't try Velocity because of the way it looks, and because it's on minis - we're cool with that. Velocity on minis is an economical delivery for great ideas and great gameplay. The graphics were the least important in getting the game out there, and minis was our only viable choice - but we do need to address the graphics, and the fact it's on minis going forward if we're going to attract more people.

Hopefully Sony will be able to see that we've made a quality product that punches above its weight, and they'll give us a leg up.

This thread is certainly helping to beef up the argument for us, so thanks again for your support! :)

Chat soon,

James

SHarris78

Anywhere you can download the soundtrack to this, its amazing!! Reminds me of the old days playing the likes of turrican on the C64!

V_Ben

Banned
I'm super excited for the remix album. If I were to hazard a guess at one of the artists, I'd say he's pretty chilled... And maybe also a wipeout veteran....

Thanks for answering the questions James! Here's how I look at it, though:

I don't think Home items would be a good idea, Velocity is pretty niche as it is and it takes much more time to model 3D objects rather than static images like an avatar. We as consumers are left in the dark regarding all these submission processes for stuff like avatars and themes, but does it cost a lot of money to submit something as simple as a 100 kb image? Must the PS Store descriptions for the avatars be translated in a lot of different languages? We'd love to help out with stuff, but there's only so much that we know about submission costs and rights and all that legal mumbo jumbo. I understand if the information is classified and you're not allowed to talk about it, but I hope you understand where we're coming from.

VV My name fits for once, haha.

Corto

Just to thank to Corporate Cheerleader for raising attention to this game. It's just a blast to play this on my Vita! Will check coconut dodge for sure, and every future games from FuturLab will jump to my radar automatically from now on.

recurv

Neo Member
@corporate_cheerleader
I see, avatars are a lot simpler, yeah. I think Robin (Jubber), Velocity's programmer is taking a look at doing avatars and a theme.

It does take time and energy though, and because it's basically just the three of us at the moment, there's a ton of other things we are doing to try and get Velocity seen, and the next project underway to pay the bills.

If it's something that you folks consider important for raising awareness, and it's something you'd really like to see, then we'll see if we can prioritise it :)

J

Top Bottom