• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Venom' (With Tom Hardy) takes place in the spider-man homecoming universe (MCU)

They just announced an extension to their deal with Spider-Man. Could it be that Venom was now factored into how he would fit into the universe as a result? So it used to be separate but now they worked him in.

Jocund

People unironically think Venom is a good character?

I mean, it's cool to like him, I do sometimes, but a good character? Sheesh

shira

People unironically think Venom is a good character?

I mean, it's cool to like him, I do sometimes, but a good character? Sheesh

He's a bad guy. . . for you
dac15_surprise.gif

So venom is extended canon mcu like Agents of Shield and Defenders series. The film will pay lip service to the mainline stuff, but the mainlines will completely ignore it.

Afrodium

Banned
Whether or not this movie is technically in the MCU doesn't matter. Marvel probably won't introduce their own Venom since that would be really confusing, meaning that this Venom is effectively the MCU Venom.

The Kree

Banned
So venom is extended canon mcu like Agents of Shield and Defenders series. The film will pay lip service to the mainline stuff, but the mainlines will completely ignore it.

You can bet an Avenger will appear in his movie. The whole point of the deal for Sony is to leverage The Avengers' popularity. And people will be calling Venom Incredible Hulk Part 3.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
I bet MCU plays this safe. Like everyone is saying, it'll be Netflix Marvel style, then if Tom hardy and the Venom movie are awesome, they'll work a deal to integrate him into full MCU.

SArcher

Banned
Sony being dicks and basically taking away characters that could be introduced in future MCU Spider-Man movies. I mean, I think we all know Feige will never acknowledge any of these Sony flops.

What makes Venom such a terrible character?
I grew up with the 90s cartoon so I think he LOOKS cool, but I personally was never attached to the character. Peter with the symbiote was always more interesting.
Didn't seem offensively bad though.

What makes Venom such a terrible character?
I grew up with the 90s cartoon so I think he LOOKS cool, but I personally was never attached to the character. Peter with the symbiote was always more interesting.
Didn't seem offensively bad though.

I think he kind of fits into that "Edgy" category where there's a lot of a fanbase for a character that doesn't do much other than look cool (Sephiroth, Redhood come to mind), so that makes contrarians (as comic fans often are...) hate him.

There's certainly been good comics with him in it though, and even his own series (granted it was a different take on Venom) was very well received.

SArcher

Banned
Why they're not doing a Flash Thompson Agent Venom movie I'll never know. He's a much better character than Eddie Brock.

Interesting. Only reason I'm even interested in the Venom movie is because of Tom Hardy. Maybe it will be a Netflix situation where Spidey acknowledges Venom but no one from the MCU does.

Yeah, this'll be ignored by the main MCU. I was kind of hoping we'd see a symbiote at the Collector's place in GotG, but now that Sony is going to go off and do this by themselves, I hope Venom is kept far from the main movies.

ZeroFate

Aww I was hoping for Spidey coming across the symbiote like he did in the comics. It would've been one heck of a stinger after one of the Infinity movies. You know he'll be in Space so it would've been perfect. :/

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Yeah, this'll be ignored by the main MCU. I was kind of hoping we'd see a symbiote at the Collector's place in GotG, but now that Sony is going to go off and do this by themselves, I hope Venom is kept far from the main movies.

if this even ever gets made, i'll be ignoring it as well

C-Drive

Y'all don't get it yet?

Avengers 4 / infinity war 2 is going to create the Marvel Cinematic multiverse. Spidey is going to get split off into the "Sony Marvel Universe", and thats where the Venom movie will take place.

If they use Spidey in the future in the 'prime' MCU, they'll have to do some cross-dimensional hijinks (read: new deals with Sony)

Y'all don't get it yet?

Avengers 4 / infinity war 2 is going to create the Marvel Cinematic multiverse. Spidey is going to get split off into the "Sony Marvel Universe", and thats where the Venom movie will take place.

If they use Spidey in the future in the 'prime' MCU, they'll have to do some cross-dimensional hijinks (read: new deals with Sony)

But they've already confirmed two homecoming sequels.

RyanW

Y'all don't get it yet?

When does New Mutants come in?

Yjynx

If this Sony's Venom movie got the same Director, writer, plot, actor essentially everything the same but with made in Marvel studio slap on it. All these same people would worship it.....

I don't get the obsession of fanboy with returning Spiderman to Marvel Studio....

Matty77

Why they're not doing a Flash Thompson Agent Venom movie I'll never know. He's a much better character than Eddie Brock.
The Crimemaster/Jack o Lantern stuff has tons of great themes and moments that could make for amazing moments.

Mixed with his PTSD and the Alcohol stuff both as an alcoholic but also how his addictive nature effects his relationship with the Symbiote.

Remenders run was excellent and as I said in a previous post the only time Venom was worth anything as a character over being a boogeyman device for Peter.

Sojgat

There are no bad characters, only bad Sony Spider-Man movies.

I still think this whole thing is some passive aggressive bargaining crap. None of these Spider-verse spin-off movies are ever going to happen.

If this Sony's Venom movie got the same Director, writer, plot, actor essentially everything the same but with made in Marvel studio slap on it. All these same people would worship it.....

I don't get the obsession of fanboy with returning Spiderman to Marvel Studio....

It really wouldn't. Plenty of MCU films get a bad rap on gaf.

Which would take place in the SMU.

From here:

Why the specific that it's not 'Homecoming 2 & 3'? Well of course it wouldn't be.

I didn't see that, thats interesting.

Top Bottom