• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Venom' (With Tom Hardy) takes place in the spider-man homecoming universe (MCU)

OK??

Like how the fuck is this going to work exactly? The symbiote will like see Spider-Man on television and emulate him?

If the movie is good most audiences won't give a fuck. The Xmen movie universe is proof of this. The continuity and canon is a cluster fuck but people will tune in for the good movies (DoFP, Logan) and tune out if the movies suck. It's not brain surgery.

Christian

So, any chance Avengers 4 is Secret Wars, without Thanos reviving all the deceased villains to fight the heroes? What is the Venom release date? Could Peter come into contact with the symbiote in Infinity War..?

That means this isn't gonna rated R then. Unless this is on Netflix the MCU isn't gonna reference an R rated movie nor is disney gonna advertise an R rated MCU movie.

This is confusing as fuck.

How are they going to make a grown man the rival to a high schooler?

How is Venom going to get the symbiote?

How is Peter going to get the symbiote?

giphy.gif

So basically, what a lot of horror movies do:

MCU: [Spider-Man Homecoming] -> [Marvel led SMH Sequels] -> [further MCU appearances]

SMHU: [Spider-Man Homecoming] -> [Marvel led SMH Sequels] -> [Sony led SMH Sequels] -> [Sony led SMH spinoffs]

It is like, say Texas Chainsaw Massacre, where every sequel is its own standalone canon, but all of them (with the exception of the reboot) use the first TCM as their canon start-point.

TCM -> Texas Chainsaw massacre II
TCM -> Leatherface: Texas Chainsaw Massacre III
TCM -> Texas Chainsaw: Next Generation
TCM -> Texas Chainsaw 3D

Sleepaway Camp does that too, where the first movie is the "cornerstone" and one canon has 2 and 3 as the follow-up story, while another canon has "Return to Sleepaway Camp" as its only sequel. Confusing... yeah, kinda!

Sleepaway Camp -> SC2: Unhappy Campers -> SC3: Teenage Wasteland
Sleepaway Camp -> Return to Sleepaway Camp

Or hell, Halloween:

Halloween -> Halloween 2 -> Halloween 4 -> Halloween 5 -> Halloween 6
Halloween -> Halloween 2 -> H20 -> Resurrection

And hell, talking about Halloween, from what I've read about the new one, it might use the original Halloween's events as a base as well, so it might be a "reboot that is kinda, also, a sequel too"
EDIT: Added examples of branching horror canons.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
So basically, what a lot of horror movies do:

MCU: [Spider-Man Homecoming] -> [Marvel led SMH Sequels] -> [further MCU appearances]

SMHU: [Spider-Man Homecoming] -> [Marvel led SMH Sequels] -> [Sony led SMH Sequels] -> [Sony led SMH spinoffs]

It is like, say Texas Chainsaw Massacre, where every sequel is its own standalone canon, but all of them (with the exception of the reboot) use the first TCM as their canon start-point. Sleepaway Camp does that too, where the first movie is the "cornerstone" and one canon has 2 and 3 as the follow-up story, while another canon has "Return to Sleepaway Camp" as its only sequel. Confusing... yeah, kinda!

damn... you're right, halloween and elm street do the same thing. i never noticed despite loving the genre

It'll be like Agents of Shield or the Defenders. In universe but never ever referenced or acknowledged in other films.

That's my take too and if that's the case, Sony need to get in touch with the Marvel TV division, Feige won't budge with crossovers that they have no control over but there's real value in connecting the Spiderverse and street level MCU together.

Anung

Un Rama
It'll be interesting to see Sony destroy another cinematic universe. They are more of a threat than Thanos.

Not surprising they are trying to piggyback their own Spideyverse after getting competent people in to fix Spider-man. Not having Spidey find the symbiote during infinity war is a really easy missed opportunity though. Hopefully Marvel will do it just to muddy the waters.

https://twitter.com/comicfade/status/876443828370255874

Amy Pascal has just confirmed 'VENOM' takes place in the 'SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING' universe!
But Homecoming is part of the MCU?

Feige said this
For now, there is no plan for Venom in the MCU. It's a Sony Project."

They're saying that Venom will not crossover into any of the other MCU larger universe. Venom technically takes place in the MCU by connection to Spider-Man but you won't see him fighting the Avengers in Infinity War, for example. He's never going to meet Cap and youll never see Venom Space Knight. Sony may be sharing Spidey with Marvel, but Venom is solely Sony.

mzk9Epf.jpg

This is fine. Best we could hope for considering the current situation, really. I hope this means his origins can remain fairly intact.

Man, Feige looks so uncomfortable when Pascal was making that announcement.

He sure did.
He has zero control over something that is technically related to his universe. Must be uncomfortable, especially considering Sony's track record.

Hopefully with Marvel laying the foundation of Spidey's universe it will be harder for Sony to fuck up.

They're saying that Venom will not crossover into any of the other MCU larger universe. Venom technically takes place in the MCU by connection to Spider-Man but you won't see him fighting the Avengers in Infinity War, for example. He's never going to meet Cap.

mzk9Epf.jpg

Venom might as well be in his own pocket dimension.

jon bones

They're saying that Venom will not crossover into any of the other MCU larger universe. Venom technically takes place in the MCU by connection to Spider-Man but you won't see him fighting the Avengers in Infinity War, for example. He's never going to meet Cap.

mzk9Epf.jpg

This is fine. Best we could hope for considering the current situation, really. I hope this means his origins can remain fairly intact.

yeah that seems likely. should be very easy to carve out sony movies when constructing a definitive MCU list

jon bones

DOWN

Banned
Sony trying to be slick and shoehorn their property into Marvel's hit without Marvel saying it will be

Nesotenso

I don't think Feige and Marvel are on board with this crap.

This Venom, Silver Sable nonsense are just cynical attempts by Sony to keep fulfilling their contract requirements so that they can keep the movie rights for a longer amount of time. They have to make a Spidey movie every 3 years. So this helps with frequency. Same reason you have Fox pumping mutant movies at the rate they are.

Fantastic Four has a longer grace period. So Fox didn't bother with the report until the recent Trank disaster.

Quick round up of what we know:

- This film is the first in Sony's Marvel Universe (real name, do not steal). Black Cat and Silver Sable films are also in production.
- It's a Sony-produced film with no connection to Disney.
- It's aiming for an R-rating.
- Films in the SMU will springboard from Spider-Man: Homecoming, but are otherwise disconnected from the MCU. Think of the SMU and MCU as a Venn Diagram with just Spider-Man in the middle.

'Spider-Man' Spinoff 'Venom' Revived at Sony
'Spider-Man' Spinoff: 'Thor' Writer Tackling Silver Sable, Black Cat Movie
Sony Developing ‘Venom' as R-Rated Start to Their Own Marvel Universe
Kevin Feige Says R-Rated Marvel Movies Not Out of the Question; Talks Venom in the MCU

This Venom, Silver Sable nonsense are just cynical attempts by Sony to keep fulfilling their contract requirements so that they can keep the movie rights for a longer amount of time. They have to make a Spidey movie every 3 years. So this helps with frequency. Same reason you have Fox pumping mutant movies at the rate they are.

Fantastic Four has a longer grace period. So Fox didn't bother with the report until the recent Trank disaster.

Almost none of this is true.

DOWN

Banned

- This film is the first in Sony's Marvel Universe (real name, do not steal). Black Cat and Silver Stable films are also in production.
- Films in the SMU will springboard from Spider-Man: Homecoming, but are otherwise disconnected from the MCU. Think of the SMU and MCU as a Venn Diagram with just Spider-Man in the middle.

Sony Developing ‘Venom’ as R-Rated Start to Their Own Marvel Universe
Kevin Feige Says R-Rated Marvel Movies Not Out of the Question; Talks Venom in the MCU

But like how will Sony connect it to MCU Spider-Man? Can they show Spider-Man? It feels so far like it's a weird bunch of me too films made up of side characters

- This film is the first in Sony's Marvel Universe (real name, do not steal). Black Cat and Silver Stable films are also in production.

Sony Developing ‘Venom’ as R-Rated Start to Their Own Marvel Universe

Marvel is fucked with this arrangement. With the Marvel TV, they know not to step onto the Movie territory and not do anything that affect the movies or go against them . I dont think its easy for Sony to do that unless Disney give Sony a lot of access of what they plan to do with the whole of MCU lol.

IDK, at least its fun to see how things goes. Maybe it will be great . maybe it will burn , its fun either way.

jon bones

But the main MCU movies don't acknowledge them.

yeah but Disney isn't going to make 'dark and gritty' MCU movies

But like how will Sony connect it to MCU Spider-Man? Can they show Spider-Man? It feels so far like it's a weird bunch of me too films made up of side characters

i hope Sony can't use Spider-Man in their movies... that should make the division easy

I don't think you are giving Feige and Marvel much credit if you don't think they fully understood the parameters of the deal they signed. This deal was never about giving Spiderman back to MCU in any real capacity. Homecoming is a sony movie. Tom Holland's salary is paid by Sony.

Boke1879

If the movie is good most audiences won't give a fuck. The Xmen movie universe is proof of this. The continuity and canon is a cluster fuck but people will tune in for the good movies (DoFP, Logan) and tune out if the movies suck. It's not brain surgery.

Yup. People tend to over analyze this shit here. I really have no fucking clue what timeline the X-men movies are in or what's canon. But if them movies are good. I'll watch them.

If a Venom movie is good. Most audiences aren't going to really care how it ties into anything.

mreddie

Feige going back to Iger, "Pay them enough and get our boy back home."

Rothman is laughing his off as Sony Pictures is the TNA of Hollywood

Pachimari

She tries to explain that this is two adjacent universes. So this is not "Sony Spider universe is part of the MCU." It's more of a Venom (and the universe) is build out of Homecoming. See it kind of like alternate timelines or universes in comics. MCU Spider-Man movies will never have to reference their movies either.

Sony are gangstas. They know what their doing. They hold all the Spider-Man cards and are holding it against Marvel's will. if you can't create a universe then borrow one.

I like Tom Hardy, but I think Topher Grace was just amazing has Venom, so its tough not to be disappointed.

Topher Grace needs to be in more things in general. If they reboot Indiana Jones he would be perfect for the role.

Top Bottom