• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Venom' (With Tom Hardy) takes place in the spider-man homecoming universe (MCU)

She tries to explain that this is two adjacent universes. So this is not "Sony Spider universe is part of the MCU." It's more of a Venom (and the universe) is build out of Homecoming making it possible for Tom Holland's Spider-Man to turn up in their movies. See it kind of like alternate timelines or universes in comics. MCU Spider-Man movies will never have to reference their movies either.

It's very easy. Just because Sony says this takes place in the Tom Holland universe, doesn't mean the actual creators of the MCU have to recognize that. It's simply non canon to the actual MCU.

Audiences will be confused as fucked lol. Still if can work , i dont mind seeing a Marvel multiverse, hell cross over to FOX if possible .

Anyway. This is not going to happen. He will have told her to stop spreading bullshit after that interview.
Never say no. MCU is where all your dreams* come true!

*Inclusive of Nightmares

Marvel is fucked with this arrangement. With the Marvel TV, they know not to step onto the Movie territory and not do anything that affect the movies or go against them . I dont think its easy for Sony to do that unless Disney give Sony a lot of access of what they plan to do with the whole of MCU lol.

IDK, at least its fun to see how things goes. Maybe it will be great . maybe it will burn , its fun either way.
It's very easy. Just because Sony says this takes place in the Tom Holland universe, doesn't mean the actual creators of the MCU have to recognize that. It's simply non canon to the actual MCU.

https://twitter.com/comicfade/status/876443828370255874

Ugh, keep that far away from the MCU. Venom is a bad character, and Sony haven't done a good spider-man film since 2004.

Venom is not a bad character. What are you talking about? Sure the movie versions suck but, the original concept from way back was fantastic. Mcfarlane's depiction of the character was great. Imagine an enemy that knows everything about you, has the same powers as you(even stronger), and is immune to his spider-sense.

Also note that this happened much later in Spider-Man's life. So there is also that context which I'm sure won't be in these movies.

Boke1879

Fiege and Marvel can always come out and correct it if it's a mistake.

But it's clear these movies won't have jack shit to do with MCU.

But the movie rights belong to Sony and they pay Holland. So they can use him for whatever they decide to do with the IP.

mreddie

Anyway. This is not going to happen. He will have told her to stop spreading bullshit after that interview.

Feige: "Amy, what are you doing? Venom isn't part of the MCU, Spidey is."
Pascal: "It would be bad if something would happen with Spider Man in the middle of this?"

Nesotenso

I don't think you are giving Feige and Marvel much credit if you don't think they fully understood the parameters of the deal they signed. This deal was never about giving Spiderman back to MCU in any real capacity. Homecoming is a sony movie. Tom Holland's salary is paid by Sony.

yeah I know. They just wanted some access to their most valuable property in lieu of bringing Sony's movies back on track.

What even was the universe building attempt in ASM 2? Sony is hoping they strike gold with a spinoff like Fox did with Deadpool. That way they aren't pressure to crank out only Spidey movies to keep the rights.

They fulfill their contractual obligations with the spinoffs and that resets the clock.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Venom is not a bad character. What are you talking about? The original concept from way back was fantastic. Mcfarlane's depiction of the character was great. Imagine an enemy that knows everything about has the same powers as you and is immune to his spider-sense.

Also note that this happened much later in Spider-Man's life. So there is also that context which I'm sure won't be in these movies.
Venom stopped beeing a good character straight after his introduction.

Thats why: http://www.spideykicksbutt.com/DarkSideoftheSpider/DarkSideoftheSpider.html

Audiences will be confused as fucked lol. Still if can work , i dont mind seeing a Marvel multiverse, hell cross over to FOX if possible .

You aren't giving audiences enough credit. I doubt they will care. Xmen movies prove this. The fact that Wonder Woman is doing so well after BVS and SS proves this. Put out good movies with familiar characters and people will go watch them.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don't think it's that confusing. SMU movies will do their own thing. MCU movies will do their own thing. Spider-Man may show up in either. You're not giving audiences enough credit. They either don't care or understand perfectly well the concept of parallel continuities. It's just us nerds on the internet who get hung up on questions like "why don't the Avengers ever show up in Agents of SHIELD when world-threatening catastrophe looms."

what the fact that Sony and Fox have to keep making movies otherwise they lose the rights?
You don't think the behemoth that is Marvel/Disney wants the movie rights to all of their characters back?

Yeah, this "Sony/Fox should sell the rights back to Marvel" stuff has been around for over a decade and it's always presented a pretty biased view. Even if there was no time limit, Sony and Fox would keep making Spider-Man and X-Men films anyway. They're consistent money-earners. This isn't some cynical attempt to keep the rights away from Marvel.

Feige and Pascal spent years negotiating a mutually-beneficial arrangement for Marvel and Spider-Man. They're both on board with this, hence the joint press releases and interviews.

Now, all we need is for Sony to make a deal with Fox on the side so that the FF can cameo in Venom and we'll have a glorious multiverse clusterfuck on our hands.

mreddie

You aren't giving audiences enough credit. I doubt they will care. Xmen movies prove this. The fact that Wonder Woman is doing so well after BVS and SS proves this. Put out good movies with familiar characters and people will go watch them.

Some are still confused like the X Men will show up in Infinity War.

As a massive Venom fan, I don't know how I feel about this.

I want Venom in the MCU
and to not be killed after 1 movie
, but I definitely do not trust Sony to handle this.

I really have no problem with Sony making their own Spidey MCU movies. it's actually preferable because this way, we can hopefully get at least 1 Spidey MCU movie a year. something that can never happen if Marvel is still making it like Homecoming because Marvel has many other characters to think about.

I just hope Sony consult and really take Marvel's advice on how to make their Spidey movies. it's be nice if Marvel is still handling the script and Sony can just produce it.

Venom is not a bad character. What are you talking about? Sure the movie versions suck but, the original concept from way back was fantastic. Mcfarlane's depiction of the character was great. Imagine an enemy that knows everything about you, has the same powers as you(even stronger), and is immune to his spider-sense.

McFarlane's version is the worst. It's so ugly.

- I'm not saying there's a bad idea in Venom's concept, just that its always executed very poorly, and McFarlane's portryal has ruined it for me.

Pachimari

I really have no problem with Sony making their own Spidey MCU movies. it's actually preferable because this way, we can hopefully get at least 1 Spidey MCU movie a year. something that can never happen if Marvel is still making it like Homecoming because Marvel has many other characters to think about.

I just hope Sony consult and really take Marvel's advice on how to make their Spidey movies. it's be nice if Marvel is still handling the script and Sony can just produce it.
Only the Homecoming movies are part of the MCU. Kevin Feige already told you that the Sony Spiderverse isn't part of the MCU.

Nesotenso

Yeah, this "Sony/Fox should sell the rights back to Marvel" stuff has been around for over a decade and it's always presented a pretty biased view. Even if there was no time limit, Sony and Fox would keep making Spider-Man and X-Men films anyway. They're consistent money-earners. This isn't some cynical attempt to keep the rights away from Marvel.

Feige and Pascal spent years negotiating a mutually-beneficial arrangement for Marvel and Spider-Man. They're both on board with this, hence the joint press releases and interviews.

The reboots with Garfield were made because they were under pressure with the clock ticking.
we will see......
I doubt Feige is thrilled with this Silver and Black nonsense.

- I'm not saying there's a bad idea in Venom's concept, just that its always executed very poorly, and McFarlane's portryal has ruined it for me.

Well that is an opinion. Outside of the original design concepts, his designs are quintessential imo. Had to be there I guess. Maybe you're experiences came from later creative teams that poorly implemented his take on the character.

How do u make a venom movie without spidey

isn't venom the bad guy? Do you just put another hero in the movie?

You absolutely can't do it and that is problem. At least let Peter get the suit in infinity war.... something to tie it together and make sense. He can't just pop up looking like Spider-Man. Doesn't make sense.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Peter Parker being, like, a 5'4 scrawny fifteen year old and Eddie Brock being....well, fucking Tom Hardy is kind of hilarious to me.

But yeah, this seems really ill-thought.

LionPride

Banned
Peter Parker being, like, a 5'4 scrawny fifteen year old and Eddie Brock being....well, fucking Tom Hardy is kind of hilarious to me.

But yeah, this seems really ill-thought.
You mean like it's supposed to be with Peter being a skinny fuck and Brock being a big sumbitch?

GAMEPROFF

Banned

Are you talking about the thing with the long tongues and the teeths? That was not McFarlane, his design was redone after two, three appearences of Venom.

Dynomutt

Tom Hardy is not in the MCU.

As far as I'm concerned neither are Agents of Shield or the Netflix heroes. They are not really in the MCU by any meaningful connection yeah words and hint's and stuff. Tony Stark is in Spider-Man and even brings out the Iron Man suit.

By extension Hardy is just as involved as Daisy has been on the big screen. Yo we had a Android powered by the Darkhold and fucking Ghost Rider no MCU crossover. This season should have gotten some MCU love major.

SpaceWolf

Banned
You mean like it's supposed to be with Peter being a skinny fuck and Brock being a big sumbitch?

Brock has always been physically imposing, but from the outside Peter and Eddie were always sort of meant to be others contemporaries. Outside of the startling age difference, as actors Holland and Hardy couldn't be more different from each other.

700x373

13482495881.jpg

I know there's a good chance their characters might not interact, but it would be a strange match-up for me.

are you watching Daredevil shows and AoS S4? the MCU already does dark & gritty really well
Oh, yes. I love Daredevil Season 1. Season 2 and AoS S4? Not so much.

For me, the amount of darkness and grittiness that DD S1 should be a baseline for the entirety of the MCU, not the height of it. That's the tone I want out of every Marvel movie! So I hope that Venom scratches that itch and sets a precedent for more MCU films like it!

Top Bottom