• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vertical stand for Nintendo Switch and Shmups

cireza

It has been pretty much confirmed that the console has a great screen. We also know that there is a built in stand to play with the Pro Controller or whatever other controller you want.

Obviously, it would not be so difficult to make a separate vertical stand for the console, allowing for some shoot'em up greatness.

You can put the console on a table and play pretty much where you want. I will probably be playing this way at home.

Thoughts ? Do you think this would work for shmups, or totally suck ?
Which shmups would you like to play on the Switch ?

JB2448

Degica, please unleash shmup Hell on the Switch's eShop. A world where Cave is an active presence on a console storefront makes me happy to even think about.

Oh, and Treasure's a no-brainer, of course.

It's something of a niche idea with a small audience. I really doubt it'd happen.

On the other hand, it's a fucking rad idea and I'd be completely all for it. It'd work really nicely with twin joycon multiplayer, too, if you don't mind using analog controls for a SHUMP.

Hero

I was actually thinking that having it vertically might even work for DS and 3DS backwards compatibility.

Crayolan

I think we found Yoko Taro's GAF account.

Yoko Taro said:
INTERESTING ASPECTS OF SWITCH

I don’t know, as I no longer have any memories. But it’s wonderful that you can separate the controllers from the screen. They didn’t announce anything like this at the presentation, but I hope the Switch is capable of a vertical mode. For vertical shooters or pinball, of course. Please take that into consideration.

Fredrik

It would be the coolest thing ever to have some old shmups played that way!
But maybe the screen would be too small?

tr00per

Not bad idea at all. Would it affect any of the ports? They're all on the top and bottom, right?

Hd rumble and pinball could be cool

//ARCANUM

Pretty sure you could just do it with this, right?
hori-compact-playstand-for-nintendo-switch.jpg

Is the kickstand close enough to the edge of the system to allow you to do that without any accessories?

And get me Ikaruga on this thing. Please.

ThEoRy...

That's a good idea for vertical shmups. It would be a very niche product however. I don't know if anyone would be willing to make the investment to build a vertical stand solely for this purpose.

Having used the kickstand yesterday, it wouldn't work. It's too flimsy and wouldn't support the weight in this way.
Ah, that's too bad. Without it being an option out of the box, I don't see many publishers taking advantage of this. But would love to be proven wrong.

Tain

You'd need a decent angle. I guess it would be better than nothing, but I'd much rather just dock it for STG play. I wouldn't want to play without an arcade stick anyway, and that harms the portability factor right off the bat.

EmiPrime

I can't think of a real life situation where I would want to carry around the Switch, a vertical stand and a separate controller just to play a bit of Dodonpachi in public. I'd rather wait until I am at home with a bigger screen and an arcade stick and instead play games that are better suited to handheld play.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Well...now this has to happen - didnt even think of it.
Hope some of those shooters find their way to the eShop.

maks

I would love portrait mode and have had some thoughts on this. Making a vertical stand shouldnt be much of a cost concern. We can 3d print one or a dev can include one in a limited edition of one of their releases.

As far as digital pad goes i can see nintendo releasing a dpad joycon. That is probably more likely than an official vert stand due to the VC library.

Cuburt

Why would you need a new stand when the current stand looks like it could work both ways?

This might also be a way that Nintendo can get around the tabletop charging problem, a way to put smartphone games on the Switch, and a way to actually get DS/3DS/Wii U games on the Switch like one method DS VC games are displayed on the Wii U.

tearsofash

it would also help if i could play vertically using 1 joycon attached to the console, which could be patched in and make a vertical stand less necessary. i've been trying to play it in bed wedged on my lap on my chromebook and it falls when sometimes things get too hectic, it is not ideal.

Narroo

The more important thing though is that we need arcade sticks. Hori currently has a Real Arcade Pro V Switch edition out, but without any major fighting games or shmups to support it, it's a hard purchase to justify. (I already have a HRAPIV:KAI, why buy a second HRAP?)

What I'd like to see is a 'Universal' version of their portable stick, while it may not be as nice as a regular stick, it'll get the job down, be portable-ish like the Switch, and reasonably cheap. I'd love this for Gunbird right about now.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
thing is how would it look on a tv screen? massive black borders either side of game play? then said game on a switch not vertical have same black borders?

Shifty

thing is how would it look on a tv screen? massive black borders either side of game play? then said game on a switch not vertical have same black borders?
The same way console shmups have handled things for years: options menu. Pick whichever scaling mode and rotation you like.

OH-MyCar

The more important thing though is that we need arcade sticks. Hori currently has a Real Arcade Pro V Switch edition out, but without any major fighting games or shmups to support it, it's a hard purchase to justify. (I already have a HRAPIV:KAI, why buy a second HRAP?)

What I'd like to see is a 'Universal' version of their portable stick, while it may not be as nice as a regular stick, it'll get the job down, be portable-ish like the Switch, and reasonably cheap. I'd love this for Gunbird right about now.

FocusAttack has these which people say are largely without any lag. If the Switch gets more shmups that aren't Psikyo ones, I was thinking of giving it a shot with my frankensteined PS3 stick with an LS-32.

I guess it's a start?

Narroo

FocusAttack has these which people say are largely without any lag. If the Switch gets more shmups that aren't Psikyo ones, I was thinking of giving it a shot with my frankensteined PS3 stick with an LS-32.

I guess it's a start?
Some did a test on those. That said, aside from being expensive and of limited use, Brooks apprently has spotty QA. Ultimately, I'm going with the Mayflash Magic NS adapter. Mayflash has a spotty track record, yes, but a lot more people have bought from them and they're nearly half the price.

cireza

lol, I remember when I created this thread. Already a year ago !

I have been playing Strikers on the console with a stand. Great fun.

But I am still lacking a decent d-pad. Pro Controller d-pad is simply bad. I need to be able to plug a Saturn controller, be it the original one or a USB one. I haven't found a solution yet...

Last edited:
Top Bottom