• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VG Leaks: BC for NextBox to be an add on, can play offline

Vormund

Doesn't an add-on defeat the purpose of BC?

I want to have one box on my entertainment center...not multiple. Otherwise, if you've still got your 360, why would you shell out extra money for yet another one? You're still going to need two devices on your shelf...

The ideal solution would be a slot loaded BC module.

Well it does depend how it's implemented. If its something like the gameboy player for the GameCube that would be good.

You could have a flat top Xbox mini that can connect and be powered from the Durango.

Talk about disingenuous, you've clearly never had any intention if those are your reasons. Especially the last one, you don't have a crystal ball.

I don't play any other game on the Xbox except Halo (and a few arcade titles). The other games I do play are 1st party Nintendo games.

Bought my original Xbox for Halo 2. Bought my 360 for Halo 3. Most likely wont be buying this one just for Halo 5 because I'll have Destiny, which is on the 360.

Well it does depend how it's implemented. If its something like the gameboy player for the GameCube that would be good.

You could have a flat top Xbox mini that can connect and be powered from the Durango.

Yeah, something that attaches or slots in would be ideal (like they did with the removable hard drives with the old 360 and the 360 S).

Mahonay

Banned
Very glad to hear this, the leak seems incredibly plausible. Microsoft should have done something sooner to stop everyone from panicking these past months.

GavinGT

Banned
Just seems odd. Every single rumor, and past leaked documentation wrong? 180 degree turn? Even leaks from developers in the past month.

Just seems odd. Can't say I've seen this amount of leakage over such a long period of time have "no basis" on the actual console.

Honestly, it feels like Microsoft is backpedaling a bit. Perhaps eventually we will get some leaks (after launch) regarding the development cycle for the Nextbox.

It's possible that developers were sent dev kits but were given little to no context as to what the retail box would be like. So they all jumped to conclusions based on the dev kits. This would also explain why indie devs seem so unhappy with Microsoft lately, since they're even less likely than major developers to be filled in on Microsoft's plans for retail.

I don't play any other game on the Xbox except Halo (and a few arcade titles). The other games I do play are 1st party Nintendo games.

Bought my original Xbox for Halo 2. Bought my 360 for Halo 3. Most likely wont be buying this one just for Halo 5 because Destiny will be out on 360.

Maybe they'll have something you'll like when they reveal their new IPs.

Miles X

Bought my original Xbox for Halo 2. Bought my 360 for Halo 3. Most likely wont be buying this one just for Halo 5 because Destiny will be out on 360.

I'm sorry you're so close minded when it comes to gaming then, if you like Nintendo's franchises then there is probably at least half a dozen games on XBLA you would like if you gave it a chance.

Eh, it can basically just play 360 games and do streaming.

Durango can do everything that it can do...except play 360 games.

What else would it do?

I don't know, we don't have full details. Like I just said.

There are plenty of examples in the thread tho.

I've always thought the "always online" was to increase MS ad revenue; ie. 100% of the userbase seeing an advert on the dash, over the current 50% leading to more leverage over advert rates and possibly dropping Live subscription. Oh well.

I hope the 2 new systems are well designed to look good together.

I'm sorry you're so close minded when it comes to gaming then, if you like Nintendo's franchises then there is probably at least half a dozen games on XBLA you would like if you gave it a chance.

I've played most of the other shooters out there and I don't like them enough to own them. The ones I do like are multi-platform.

There's nothing wrong with having preferred gaming genres. I don't understand why you guys are dogging on me.

Maybe they'll have something you'll like when they reveal their new IPs.

I doubt it.

GavinGT

Banned
So, basically?

ObZwqg6.png

According to the rumor:

- Durango allows used games
- Durango has a form of BC through an add-on
- the 360 Mini doesn't necessarily require online (unclear from rumor text, but why would it be different from any other Xbox 360?)

You would need another row to accurately represent the situation (Durango with add-on, Durango without add-on, add-on without Durango, Xbox 360). Also there's no column for "reminds grandma of her youth".

Poona

Hurrah... Good news! Definitely getting the next Xbox now. I didnt mind if I had to get an add-on for bc, just as long as it was possible.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
But how can it play 360 games on its own--independently of Durango--without a disc drive?

What I'm wondering is if I can replace my 360 with only this machine and not a Durango.
It's a digital distribution focused device, for arcade games and Games On Demand.

It's not for people like you that already own a 360, it's to be a tier lower than the Durango and the subsidized Durango. I'm not sure why you want to replace your 360, but in whatever case you're in a minority that doesn't make much sense to cater for in terms of SKUs. And if you do want to replace it, the 360 Slim is there.

Bsigg12

So, basically?

ObZwqg6.png

Durango will play used games and will be no where near $600.

If they are looking to compete with Apple TV expect the Mini to be around $100.

Built in is a terrible phrase for the Kinect but as it stands with this rumor, we still don't know. It's beginning to lean towards that the dev units required it to work but the system will probably still ship with Kinect in every box. That does not mean it's required to be setup to allow the system to work.

Miles X

I've played most of the other shooters out there and I don't like them enough to own them. The ones I do like are multi-platform.

There's nothing wrong with having preferred gaming genres. I don't understand why you guys are dogging on me.

Are you being willfully ignorant? I wasn't even talking about shooters I was talking about platformers, and the many that are exclusive to XBLA (look up Battlebloc Theater on Youtube, it just released)

If there is one genre on XBLA under-represented it's shooters lol

Doesn't an add-on defeat the purpose of BC?

I want to have one box on my entertainment center...not multiple. Otherwise, if you've still got your 360, why would you shell out extra money for yet another one? You're still going to need two devices on your shelf...

The ideal solution would be a slot loaded BC module.
Thats my sense too.

Where did the 3 minute grace period until the system suspends your game/app if you lose your internet connection come from? Devs messing around with backwards compatibility with the Durange + mini? Seems fishy.

Minions

Built in is a terrible phrase for the Kinect but as it stands with this rumor, we still don't know. It's beginning to lean towards that the dev units required it to work but the system will probably still ship with Kinect in every box. That does not mean it's required to be setup to allow the system to work.

$600 before xbox live bundles/subsidies... if not more. The original PS3 cost $800 to manufacture. I don't see this thing being cheaper than $600 in parts.

I´ll be very happy if this rumor is true, always online was lame, no used games was worse. I would buy an addon for BC if is at good price and if runs the game like the 360s.

Thats my sense too.

Where did the 3 minute grace period until the system suspends your game/app if you lose your internet connection come from? Devs messing around with backwards compatibility with the Durange + mini? Seems fishy.

Given that naughty devs have sold devkits to naughty people, maybe the current devkits are online-only so that Microsoft can track where they are.

Mahonay

Banned

I see that as the likely outcome. Kinect 2.0 in every box, but I can't see them actually going through with the part about needing to have it connected to even play.

Looks like always-on Durango was incorrect, I expect "always Kinect" to be just as wrong too.

Are you being willfully ignorant? I wasn't even talking about shooters I was talking about platformers, and the many that are exclusive to XBLA (look up Battlebloc Theater on Youtube, it just released)

If there is one genre on XBLA under-represented it's shooters lol

The platformers I play are Nintendo IPs. I don't like Battle Block Theater.

Why is it a problem? Gamers don't have to have a bunch of games. My only Wii game is Brawl.

Bsigg12

$600 before xbox live bundles/subsidies... if not more. The original PS3 cost $800 to manufacture. I don't see this thing being cheaper than $600 in parts.

So now it's more powerful than the PS4? Someone on here did a parts breakdown of the PS4 and it was around $450. What else would cause the Durango to be $150 more than the PS4?

Miles X

The platformers I play are Nintendo IPs. I don't like Battle Block Theater.

Why is it a problem? Gamers don't have to have a bunch of games. My only Wii game is Brawl.

Like I said, disingenuous, it's like somebody arguing the PS4 is crap and they won't buy it because it has Sony on the box.

This is pretty much an ideal scenario for me (apart from just having true BC). Very smart if this is true. My 360 is giving me indications that it might be dying soon so this little box could have perfect timing.

CLEEK

Do you wish to force everyone that doesn't want to have BC pay a premium because buying it separately is above you for some reason?

How is including BC any different from HDMI pass through for cable TV integration? Functionality that will only benefit a small subset of non-US Xbox owners.

Or Kinect being included. Unless using it is mandatory, I highly doubt its a feature I will ever use. Why should I have to pay for it?

The answer to all of these features (BC, Cable TV, Kinect) is combined, they make an attractive console to have all of this functionality in one box. Shame that BC has been separated out, so I understand the complaints.

MS's thought process for implementing this type of BC was probably that this set top box 360 was coming anyway, as it had long been on their roadmap. It's been rumoured for years; Xbox Loop etc. As they were producing a cut down, set top box console anyway, just make the Durango cheaper and less complex to make and ustilise the Mini 360.

Mahonay

Banned
This is pretty much an ideal scenario for me (apart from just having true BC). Very smart if this is true. My 360 is giving me indications that it might be dying soon so this little box could have perfect timing.
I agree on that front. This is a pretty slick move on Microsoft's part.

"Hey, so, that old 360 of yours sounds like a jet engine, doesn't it? Probably going to break any day now... Take this peripheral that's not a complete hunk of junk and you can keep playing your old Xbox 360 catalogue."

Durango itself will also always be online like any other device (correct with rumors), but it will not be a requirement to play local content and it will not prevent playing used games.

I've been trying to parse this sentence and have come to the conclusion who ever wrote this article is either confused or being rather disingenuous on what is meant by "always online" . Either way at this point it's best to just wait and see.

Great news if it's true (I literally could not use a Durango for more than 30 minutes at a time in my house if it would only work with a constant internet connection), though while I haven't checked I'm assuming some sites that were trying to positively spin the 'online-only' leaks are also suddenly happy about this?

I've been trying to parse this sentence and have come to the conclusion who ever wrote this article is either confused or being rather disingenuous on what is meant by "always online" . Either way at this point it's best to just wait and see.
I just read it as them meaning the system will always attempt to go online (like all three current-gen systems already do), but if it can't you aren't suddenly locked out of any local content.

Top Bottom