• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VG Leaks: BC for NextBox to be an add on, can play offline

Like I said, disingenuous, it's like somebody arguing the PS4 is crap and they won't buy it because it has Sony on the box.

Perhaps you're just missing my point

The console itself looks like an inconvenience, and because I don't play any Xbox exclusive other than Halo, I have no reason to get it. I really don't care if that bothers anyone here or not.

In other words you just don't care for microsoft?

I don't care for a new system as unappealing as this one when I'll end up playing only a couple games on it.

Bsigg12

Still don't get this. How is BC a cost savings? You want BC but don't own a 360?

It isn't in the Durango hardware so it won't affect the BoM and manufacturing costs for the Durango. If you want BC, you can buy the Mini, but it doesn't affect the overall cost of the Durango to anyone who doesn't want BC.

Minions

So now it's more powerful than the PS4? Someone on here did a parts breakdown of the PS4 and it was around $450. What else would cause the Durango to be $150 more than the PS4?

How is it we have a parts break down for a console where we only have basic specs. I thought the build out was closer to $500, also I don't believe the "parts" included a PSEye among other things.

Mahonay

Banned
Yeah, it is pretty silly, if they include the 360 in the machine the whole thing will cost more anyway.
Same thing in Sony's case, although it was even more difficult for them to try and go BC with the old PS3 Cell architecture.

It's gotten to the point that backwards compatibility simply costs too much to implement. This is one of the ways you avoid the $600 price point at launch.

The console itself looks like an inconvenience, and because I don't play any Xbox exclusive other than Halo, I have no reason to get it. I really don't care if that bothers anyone here or not.

I don't care for a new system as unappealing as this one when I'll end up playing only a couple games on it.

How do you know you will only play a couple of games. We don't even know what they have yet.

Dunlop

Still don't get this. How is BC a cost savings? You want BC but don't own a 360?

BC is not a cost savings, especially as the architecture is completely different so you would need to slap an another board to handle BC. This effectively allows you to sell a single SKU and make the BC addon optional.

If you can play your 360 library only when attached directly to Durango I would have no interest, but if it is over your home LAN then I would definitely be interested. I traded in my 360 last week to get my kids a WiiU but still have a shitton of games as it was not work the pennies EBGames would offer. Media Extender plus allowing me to play my library = nice

(NO clue if they are going for a single SKU)

Bsigg12

I've been trying to parse this sentence and have come to the conclusion who ever wrote this article is either confused or being rather disingenuous on what is meant by "always online" . Either way at this point it's best to just wait and see.

My PC and 3DS are always online. They can run at a hibernated state while maintaining connection to my internet to download and update even while the system isn't technically on.

Internet is not required as a whole for these things to work however.

Jarnet87

Changes nothing for me. I bought a 360 for the sole purpose of playing multiplayer games with friends (which I ended up not even doing much of), now I only play multiplayer PC games. Xbox exclusives do not appeal to me even the slightest. It's going to take some real cool features at the May and E3 presentations and some over the top exclusives for me to grab this along with the PS4.

Maybe they'll have something you'll like when they reveal their new IPs.

How do you know you will only play a couple of games. We don't even know what they have yet.

If there ends up being a game that interests me, then we will go from there.

Until then, there are only 2 games I would play next gen, and one of them is multi-platform. Because of the games I play and the inconvenience of the console, I have no reason to get it.

I still don't see why this is a problem to anybody.

Banned
Having to buy a 3rd console for BC.

I have a 360 and want BC in the Durango. So my options are nothing or buy a 3rd console?

They could do no BC or increase the cost of the 720 and include it in the new system. This is a better solution. You were going to pay for the hardware if it was standalone or built in.

Minions

My PC and 3DS are always online. They can run at a hibernated state while maintaining connection to my internet to download and update even while the system isn't technically on.

The phrase should be always-on, in those situations. Your 3DS is not always connected to a wifi hotspot. I don't like this always-online phrasing. If its always-online it is always connected to the internet. If its always connected to the internet then it should be a requirement. Otherwise I wouldn't call it always-online if it can function without that requirement.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
So just to be clear, when they say plays offline and used games, they're referring to more than just old 360 games right?

In any case this is a very reasonable way to do online. I wish PS4 did this, but they're probably too invested in Gaikai to do it.

statham

I've been trying to parse this sentence and have come to the conclusion who ever wrote this article is either confused or being rather disingenuous on what is meant by "always online" . Either way at this point it's best to just wait and see.
like your dvr/cable box, its never really off but if cable does go out you can still watch the stuff you recorded. (never tested this, but I imagine you can watch your dvr recorded shows.)

Minions

So just to be clear, when they say plays offline and used games, they're referring to more than just old 360 games right?

In any case this is a very reasonable way to do online. I wish PS4 did this, but they're probably too invested in Gaikai to do it.

Would be pretty funny if it comes out they were referring to used (360) and offline (360) games wouldn't it? Only time will tell. Since all the previous rumors are "horribly wrong", I don't think this is any more accurate since, as we all know, this is still based off dev kits?

Yagharek

I think an add-on is fine if a given system cannot play the old system's games.

I would have bought a Saturn or Megadrive add-on for Dreamcast.
I would have bought an N64/SNES/NES adaptor for GC.
I would have bought a GC adaptor for Wii U (although paying more for a Wii U model playing GC games would be better).

Personally I think aiming for (minimum) one-gen BC should be the standard these days. Very successful systems such as PS2, GBA, DS and Wii have all done this.

In the case of XBox 3 though, whilst a BC option is nice, it wouldn't be enough for me to ignore any of the plethora of reasons I am not a current or future customer of theirs.

Mahonay

Banned
Would be pretty funny if it comes out they were referring to used (360) and offline (360) games wouldn't it? Only time will tell. Since all the previous rumors are "horribly wrong", I don't think this is any more accurate since, as we all know, this is still based off dev kits?
This leak was pretty specific and when you look at it, it seems like a realistic outcome. To me personally, this looks like one the more accurate pieces of Durango info we've gotten.

Spawnling

Updated to better represent (thanks GavinGT); still need official confirmation from MS from the reveal, but more or less the picture we're looking at.

UM2wKq7.png

The article doesn't exactly clear up everything (local content seems like an especially vague term), but if the used game/BC/Internet not required for gaming is true, then this is great news.

I still don't like that kinect is being unequivocally bundled and that it is required (hopefully it just means plugged in and that it doesn't have to be functional for everything to work, in case it breaks) since it adds to the cost, but they're its their complete right to sell or take the comsole in whatever direction they want. It's just that anything that is more consumer friendly and optional is always better than mandated.

Controlled leak damage control. Good if it doesn't require an internet connection for offline content - I don't want that to be the future for consoles.

EDIT: Ignore. My eyes are clearly awful.

Mahonay

Banned
Updated to better represent (thanks GavinGT); still need official confirmation from MS from the reveal, but more or less the picture we're looking at.

hl9UpgM.png
I don't see where it said that used Durango games will only be playable with the extra add on. Could you point that out for me?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

hl9UpgM.png
There is no Durango add-on. There is only a disc-drive-less Xbox 360. And Kinect isn't "built-in" to anything. Also "Durango + Xbox Mini" only requires online for BC.

All in all this is a pretty confusing and misleading graphic.

Fox Mulder

I think an add-on is fine if a given system cannot play the old system's games.

I would have bought a Saturn or Megadrive add-on for Dreamcast.
I would have bought an N64/SNES/NES adaptor for GC.
I would have bought a GC adaptor for Wii U (although paying more for a Wii U model playing GC games would be better).

Personally I think aiming for (minimum) one-gen BC should be the standard these days. Very successful systems such as PS2, GBA, DS and Wii have all done this.

In the case of XBox 3 though, whilst a BC option is nice, it wouldn't be enough for me to ignore any of the plethora of reasons I am not a current or future customer of theirs.

A WiiU that plays two previous gens of Nintendo games would have been amazing. GameCube support can't be that expensive, it's probably just not worth dedicating room for four controller ports and memory card slots on the console.

Yagharek

A WiiU that plays two previous gens of Nintendo games would have been amazing. GameCube support can't be that expensive, it's probably just not worth dedicating room for four controller ports and memory card slots on the console.

The Wii U hardware is apparently capable of it (the chips are apparently just a successor to the GC/Wii line AFAIK). The limitation is the disc drive not being able to read mini discs.

A GC mini disc player add on (via usb) and GC port add on (also usb) could conceivably do the job I would guess. Maybe not, just an idea. I'd buy one.

like your dvr/cable box, its never really off but if cable does go out you can still watch the stuff you recorded. (never tested this, but I imagine you can watch your dvr recorded shows.)

The phrase should be always-on, in those situations. Your 3DS is not always connected to a wifi hotspot. I don't like this always-online phrasing. If its always-online it is always connected to the internet. If its always connected to the internet then it should be a requirement. Otherwise I wouldn't call it always-online if it can function without that requirement.

my statement is more in the lines of what Minions is saying than me not actually understanding what the writer means, I understand what the writer is saying, it just isn't my definition of "always online" nor the one I think is "in line with past rumors" as the writer claims.

Moostache

I am glad to hear the "no used games" being shot down...but why make a 360-like add-on instead of just making the existing 360s work for that purpose? I would be much, much more likely to go in for a Durango at launch if I knew that my existing XBox 360's would all be able to function on some level with it.

Seems like M$ missed a chance to gain a big edge on PS4 with that decision...

Of course, there's also a reason I play games and post about them on GAF instead of cash checks with lots more zeroes and Microsoft at the top of them....

Satchel

Banned
Doesn't an add-on defeat the purpose of BC?

I want to have one box on my entertainment center...not multiple. Otherwise, if you've still got your 360, why would you shell out extra money for yet another one? You're still going to need two devices on your shelf...

The ideal solution would be a slot loaded BC module.

If they design these two boxes to connect to each other as one, and you can use discs from 360 in the Durango disc drive, why not sell your old 360 and pick up the mini with a Durango?

Still only needs one HDMI port (according to rumours)

UM2wKq7.png

Isn't the add-on the replacement for your Cable box? So you can't plug in your cable line to Durango by default but run it through the add on.

Nutter

Then why are you in this thread? To let everyone know you wont buy it?

Good news on the Internet-not-required bit if true. Maybe one day, some insider will reveal that online-only really was in the plans, but the Internet backlash was actually successful in forcing Microsoft to change course on that. Or maybe it was an idea that Microsoft was considering, but they purposely sent out rumors of it as a trial balloon to see how it would be received before proceeding forward.

As for the 360 dongle, it's laughable to call it a BC solution. You're basically buying a separate console for playing 360 games, but it lacks a disc drive and can't function on its own. At a cheaper price, it would be an inelegant but acceptable solution, but for $150 you can just buy an actual 360 and not need to have it networked to Durango in order to function. That is of course, unless Microsoft takes the 360 off the market, forcing people buy both the Durango and dongle to play 360 games.

But I have a feeling this mini box is not actually targeted toward gamers, rather 360 compatibility is just an added feature to make it more appealing to some consumers. But the real target audience are those who would use it as an Apple TV.

They could do no BC or increase the cost of the 720 and include it in the new system. This is a better solution. You were going to pay for the hardware if it was standalone or built in.
Or they could've gone the other route and had a Durango without BC and a Durango with built-in BC for an additional $150, and made all gamers happy. People who don't care for BC don't have to pay for it, and people who do can pay for it and not have to hook up an additional unit.

Whew....I can skip the pirate path for now!

I am glad to hear the "no used games" being shot down...but why make a 360-like add-on instead of just making the existing 360s work for that purpose? I would be much, much more likely to go in for a Durango at launch if I knew that my existing XBox 360's would all be able to function on some level with it.

Seems like M$ missed a chance to gain a big edge on PS4 with that decision...

Of course, there's also a reason I play games and post about them on GAF instead of cash checks with lots more zeroes and Microsoft at the top of them....
Lol. Are you admitting that you WOULD HAVE pirated Microsoft console games if the online-only rumors were true? You know this is also just a rumor right? Durango may very well still be online-only. Ahoy, matey!

Blader

It's a digital distribution focused device, for arcade games and Games On Demand.

It's not for people like you that already own a 360, it's to be a tier lower than the Durango and the subsidized Durango. I'm not sure why you want to replace your 360, but in whatever case you're in a minority that doesn't make much sense to cater for in terms of SKUs. And if you do want to replace it, the 360 Slim is there.

Because mine is dead, and if this add-on was capable of playing 360 games on its I might lean towards buying that instead of getting my old one repaired.

Poona

UM2wKq7.png

Why is the Xbox 360 being included? I don't think it can attach to the next Xbox, just the add-on can.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Made some edits:

E7CDSbO.png
How can Xbox Mini play used games when it has no disc drive...?

And we know 360 Mini requires online, that's in the article:

The rumors of “always online required” comes from the smaller Xbox unit which may not have a disc drive and like Apple TV it would require a network connection and internet to provide any real functionality.

I still think the chart format is stupid because the "Always Online" column is not clear cut and deducible to a yes/no, because only some of the functions require always online.

Top Bottom