• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VG Leaks: BC for NextBox to be an add on, can play offline

jayu26

When the Durango (game machine) launches, it will not support backwards compatibility for 360 games out of the box. Instead, this functionality will come from the other unit that will be networked with the Durango to provide this (not unlike the DVD add-on for the original Xbox).

Durango itself will also always be onlinelike any other device (correct with rumors), but it will not be a requirement to play local content and it will not prevent playing used games. Putting in an Xbox 360 disc into Durango will prompt the user to attach the supporting device that is sold separately. By separating the two devices and their functions it will ensure price competitiveness for both pieces of hardware.Microsoft’s delay in announcing these products from April goes more inline with not having a physical set of devices to show (among specification updates), which should be ready by May or June when this information is officially released.

I just realized this: People are not likely to buy 360 Disc compatible ad on at the Durango's launch, because they can just keep their 360s. But when that 360 fails in two or three years (because that's what they do...), everyone will pay 100-150 dollars for said ad on...

Microsoft
36243-slow-clap-citizen-kane-orson-w-jpBA.gif

Satchel

Banned
I just realized this: People are not likely to buy 360 Disc compatible ad on at the Durango's launch, because they can just keep their 360s. But when that 360 fails in two or three years (because that's what they do...), everyone will pay 100-150 dollars for said ad on...

Microsoft
36243-slow-clap-citizen-kane-orson-w-jpBA.gif

If they can design the two consoles well enough when attached to each other. Why have 2 bulky consoles on the shelf when you can have one?

You'd also be using less ports and cables.

Squire

Banned
If they can design the two consoles well enough when attached to each other. Why have 2 bulky consoles on the shelf when you can have one?

You'd also be using less ports and cables.

And at $100-150 you can trade-in a working 360 and make the add-on even more affordable. Convenience is the main draw.

Sounddeli

Banned
Update:

The “Xbox Mini” is not a 360 add-on, it is a stand alone product that contains Xbox 360 functions for gaming, and alone it is meant to compete with Apple TV. Since it is likely it will not have a disc drive, it is being designed with “always online” in mind, and with internet being required for Live functions. Xbox 360 Games can be played on it by purchasing Games on Demand on Xbox Live (for new purchases) or if already purchased, simply download it. This also applies to music and movies. To further clarify, the Durango will also have these (TV) functions, just with next-genration gaming hardware instead of Xbox 360 at a higher price.

When used with Durango, it offers connectivity with it for backwards compatibility with both disc based and On Demand games, and it’s no more different than what Sony will be doing with Gaikai for playing PS3 games on PS4, only with Xbox it will be done locally and not through the cloud. You can control the Xbox Mini under a single interface and not have to worry about switching between devices in a single display input.

These connectivity functions cannot work with existing Xbox 360 units due to the difference in external interface. The Xbox Mini was designed for this along side Durango.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
stackable?

32x.jpg

I haven't even begun to read this thread, but this post from page one really got me. Almost choked on some water from the laughter I was trying to stifle at 2am over here. Bravo Cerrius.

I like this idea better than Sony's Gaikai, think it's brilliant. Give me a tiny box with PS3's chips inside that hooks up to PS4 and uses its drive to play PS3 discs. No need to depend on some cloud gaming service that's way off in the future and might possibly never materialise.

The sad thing is, there won't be any BC enhancements, but it's the same case for both consoles anyway.

Looks like an impressive solution to me. BC is available without destroying Durango's price point (whatever it may be). BC is relatively cheap. BC is done locally (completely removes the possible latency/connection issues with cloud/streaming solutions). As a standalone device it is functional as well - meaning it is not a must own Durango device, nor do you require to purchase a Durango to use it's media-serving capabilities.

Realistically, I'll never buy one because I own a 360. And whenever that 360 happens to die off - I'll likely have plenty to play from next-gen titles. However it's a nice option all the same.

That said, Sony has yet to show their entire deck regarding Gaikai. As it stands, as a PS3 BC solution (has paywall been confirmed?) - it's a good solution but has some weaknesses. What they have planned for it, in the long run is probably far more important.

Poona

I like this idea better than Sony's Gaikai, think it's brilliant. Give me a tiny box with PS3's chips inside that hooks up to PS4 and uses its drive to play PS3 discs. No need to depend on some cloud gaming service that's way off in the future and might possibly never materialise.

Of course. It is much better than the 'maybe Gaikai', which all depends on how well Sony can implement it, and even if they can it is totally dependent on a great internet connection, and you can't even use the purchases you've already made.

With MS's option I'll still be able to use my already purchased 360 discs when the unit is plugged into the new xbox, and I'll be able to download my xbla titles and dlc again (and I wonder if it'll be possibly to transfer games saves from the 360 to it)

PBY

Banned
Of course. It is much better than the 'maybe Gaikai', which all depends on how well Sony can implement it, and even if they can it is totally dependent on a great internet connection, and you can't even use the purchases you've already made.

With MS's option I'll still be able to use my already purchased 360 discs when the unit is plugged into the new xbox, and I'll be able to download my xbla titles and dlc again (and I wonder if it'll be possibly to transfer games saves from the 360 to it)
I agree. Very smart, still curious how the disc based games will try and work thru Gaikai

fallingdove

This leak doesn't make sense next to the twitter hubbub with Adam Orth. Either Microsoft changed their plans post twittergate or this leak is 'designed' to take the heat off of Microsoft until they can release controlled spin at the launch announcement.

c0de

This leak doesn't make sense next to the twitter hubbub with Adam Orth. Either Microsoft changed their plans post twittergate or this leak is 'designed' to take the heat off of Microsoft until they can release controlled spin at the launch announcement.

perhaps it makes more sense to you when you image he was talking about stingray and not durango?

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2

Or this has been the plan all along but the former employee forced them to leak details because he led people in another direction in ways that MS didn't want.

This sounds reasonable enough. Interested to hear just how integrated of a solution it is. If it shares storage space and if it'll work with a Durango controller.

Alx

When used with Durango, it offers connectivity with it for backwards compatibility with both disc based and On Demand games, and it’s no more different than what Sony will be doing with Gaikai for playing PS3 games on PS4, only with Xbox it will be done locally and not through the cloud. You can control the Xbox Mini under a single interface and not have to worry about switching between devices in a single display input.

That's interesting, though a strange situation where the mini will do all the hard work, and the Durango is only there to validate the disk ID (I suppose the game itself will be installed on the mini HDD) and receive the video stream to display it.

I wonder if several connections are possible for the video transfer : use the mini native output, plug the mini in the Durango HDMI in, or use the LAN connection to stream it (that would add the most latency and compression artifacts, I suppose).
Will it work if the mini and the Durango are in separate rooms ?
What about the pads ? Are they "connected" to the mini or the Durango when blaying in BC mode ?

p3tran

Banned
it seems like a good solution. external design of both boxes will make it a success or a failure.

now, it is time to squash the durango low-tech hardware rumors and we can go on..
also more clarification on the kinect shit not being REQUIRED would be welcome.

Hana-Bi

That's interesting, though a strange situation where the mini will do all the hard work, and the Durango is only there to validate the disk ID (I suppose the game itself will be installed on the mini HDD) and receive the video stream to display it.

I wonder if several connections are possible for the video transfer : use the mini native output, plug the mini in the Durango HDMI out, or use the LAN connection to stream it (that would add the most latency and compression artifacts, I suppose).
Will it work if the mini and the Durango are in separate rooms ?
What about the pads ? Are they "connected" to the mini or the Durango when blaying in BC mode ?

And another question: could you stream 720 games to your Xbox Mini?

Satchel

Banned

Orth only talked about always online.

Not requiring internet to function.

Alx

And the mini when used on its own will probably be always online anyway, since it's a "game-on-demand-box"

I don't view this as positive news, frankly. I guess a BC add on is good for people that want BC, but it's also going to inflate the initial price of the console. Also, if this thing is on par with the PS4 in terms of price I'd have no idea why anyone would not choose the PS4. It would bury the Durango worldwide from the get go.

Striek

Wow, first positive rumours on the Xbox 3 and they're rippers from VGLeaks no less. Now if those spec updates get it up to the level of the PS4 we're cooking with fire.

Just to be clear, they're saying its "always online" in essentially the same way a PS3/360 already are (optional)?

amardilo

I'd be OK with a very small add-on allowing me to have backwards compatibility.

If the main unit had the disc drive and connection for the HDD leaving the add-on to be just bare-bones console hardware I might pick it up (if it's not too expensive and the unit fits in easily enough and doesn't take up too much room)

pswii60

I don't view this as positive news, frankly. I guess a BC add on is good for people that want BC, but it's also going to inflate the initial price of the console. Also, if this thing is on par with the PS4 in terms of price I'd have no idea why anyone would not choose the PS4. It would bury the Durango worldwide from the get go.

How is it going to inflate the initial price of the console? It's an option. An option we didn't think we'd even get before this rumour.

I'm over the moon, as it means I'll continue to be able to jump in and out of Peggle without having to turn on a separate console every time.

And, given we still don't know much about Durango's full feature set or anything about its games line-up - how do you know PS4 is going to 'bury' Durango?

madmackem

How is it going to inflate the initial price of the console? It's an option. An option we didn't think we'd even get before this rumour.

I'm over the moon, as it means I'll continue to be able to jump in and out of Peggle without having to turn on a separate console every time.

And, given we still don't know much about Durango's full feature set or anything about its games line-up - how do you know PS4 is going to 'bury' Durango?

Yeah if its cheap £99 under then id buy one.

Klocker

This sounds reasonable enough. Interested to hear just how integrated of a solution it is. If it shares storage space and if it'll work with a Durango controller.
mini works only with a Durango controller apparently, not 360.
also to others...
and always online is not the same as no offline allowed

Valnen

Sony has a patent similar to the BC option here, I hope both consoles use it. Everyone deserves BC. I skipped a lot of 360 games and don't have my 360 anymore so a BC attachment would actually get me to buy a Durango in a couple years. Won't be buying one if the attachment ends up not existing, though.

szaromir

Banned
Wow, first positive rumours on the Xbox 3 and they're rippers from VGLeaks no less. Now if those spec updates get it up to the level of the PS4 we're cooking with fire.

Just to be clear, they're saying its "always online" in essentially the same way a PS3/360 already are (optional)?
no, the way ps4 is going to be always online

wow, well thought out strategy. so the 360 mini is really the one who needs always online. or maybe durango does too?

Mini confirmed. The Durango (hopefully not) but not confirmed.

Durango with Mini for backwards compatibility confirmed. Worries about always online requirement for backwards compatibility can be concluded. As one of them will stop functioning without internet and must be fixed. Lag input a concern.

Win/Win... Nobody knows. Worries exist. E3 will tell. Turn this around Microsoft.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
this is the dumbest thing ever. If the new xbox only needs to be online to play online stuff, it means all the 'always on' stuff is nonsense. So why did MS leave that to stew and create bad word of mouth for so long? It would have been a trivial thing to correct via leaks/anonymous comments.

the BC thing I'm meh about. Sounds like they're just shrinking the 360 chipset even more so it can be in an appleTV box so you can have a netflix streaming Xbox under your TV (hopefully without needing a gold live account), and that can play 360 games somehow via remoteplay to the Durango.

That seems complicated - firstly if it doesn't have a disc drive, the durango would have to act as a networked optical drive (complicated), the controller sends inputs to durango which is then sent to the min 360, the game runs on the mini 360 and it has extra hardware to compress and send the video back to durango?

My only guess with the mini 360 is that MS can add BC this way relatively cheaply, but the main aim of the box is a cheap streaming TV box, perhaps with access to Xbox games on demand

Spierek

I actually kind of like the idea of connecting an X360 to the Durango for BC. Now, imagine if Microsoft decided to not only use the Durango for passing off the image to the display, but also did some kind of post-processing to the X360 game visuals? I'm talking about antyaliasing injectors and things like that. Imagine playing those jagged 720p titles with better AA.

Choice is great, and I'll be very glad indeed if Microsoft do pursue local hardware BC. But such an ambitious scheme will be yoked to a potentially confusing marketing push. They're aiming to have three different home consoles on store shelves simultaneously: a mini360 that can't play used games or disk games, a regular 360 that can, and a Durango that, alone, can only play next-gen games. There's already a ton of questions and misperceptions about the setup in this thread, and that's with enthusiasts! I seriously don't envy wage-monkey GameStop employees trying to describe all this accurately to buyers. (Or the customers trying to wrap their heads around whatever mixture of truth and guesses they'll be hearing.)

Triple U

Banned
BC has and never will be a deal breaker or deal maker for me, but it seems important to alot on here so its great for them. Real news is the always online not being required. If true that is.

Still have kotaku/edge rumors.

LegoArmo

This all sounds good to me, if I'm reading it right, the devices main purpose will be a cheap, media streaming device that can also play downloadable games from Xbox Live, but when connected to your Durango will allow you to play your disc based 360 games?

Good alternative to no BC at all. I probably wouldn't buy it, as I have my PC connected to my TV for streaming, but cool for those who don't.

GavinGT

Banned
This all sounds good to me, if I'm reading it right, the devices main purpose will be a cheap, media streaming device that can also play downloadable games from Xbox Live, but when connected to your Durango will allow you to play your disc based 360 games?

Good alternative to no BC at all. I probably wouldn't buy it, as I have my PC connected to my TV for streaming, but cool for those who don't.

Yes, that's what the rumor says.

If this is true, I will start to slowly and carefully back off from my anti-Durango stance. But I'm ready to get mad again at the drop of a hat!

More seriously, who the hell is going to buy the Xbox Mini? Does Apple TV even sell well?

Top Bottom