• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VG Leaks: BC for NextBox to be an add on, can play offline

blackseedboy

Neo Member
If they can design the two consoles well enough when attached to each other. Why have 2 bulky consoles on the shelf when you can have one?

had the same thought...

xboxnext.jpg

Gattsu25

Banned
In the same way my 360 was always online(i.e it automatically connected to XBL when turned on), but being offline didn't stop it working (which was the big fear arising from the earlier rumours).
Yep, "Always Online" was always a shitty term for what people were bitching about (rightfully so) which was actually "Online Only".

If this new "leak" is true then the console is not Online Only like everyone thought.

I have no idea what will be happening and to be honest...I don't think I care. Microsoft's apparent disregard of smaller devs is more than enough to convince me that they don't have my interests aligned with theirs.

Roki6

Banned
But what about all those people who said they wouldn't forgive MS for not confirming the always online rumours, regardless of whether they're true or not? Are they still bitter? I must know!

This thread is missing almost all most active posters from previous xbox threads.
I wonder why? What happend to them :)

Can someone post comparison of top posters in this and #dealwithit threads?

now i ask
is impossible to get for that price (vgleaks talk around 149$) a 1.2tf mini xbox scenario
seeing that there isnt dvd and other stuff could be possible?

i mean and if all the leaks get confused by this two skus?

I did some digging but a A10-5800k($120) isn't that expensive so i guess a apu with 360 cpu and a 7700 level gpu with 32mb esram should make it possible to provide backward compatible addon for 360 games at 1080p atleast given that 4 * Fullhd * 32bit/pixel needed for most deferred renderes need about 32mb of esram for ($150).

But this seems like a dream but 1080p 360 games addon or stand alone console would be a pretty dam good incentive to buy the add-on im even willing to pay $180 for that Halo 3 1080p maybe at 60fps hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnggg

Edit:Nvm just checked the performance of the gpu in the A10-5800k not something to write home about. But if they wanted to sell at a lose it is still possible.

szaromir

Banned
"Always online" means the console will still be running in low power mode and be connected to Xbox Live after the user shuts the console down. Same as PS4. Edge interpreted it as a requirement and obviously many people were all too keen to go with Edge's interpretation.

Shaneus

I did some digging but a A10-5800k($120) isn't that expensive so i guess a apu with 360 cpu and a 7700 level gpu with 32mb esram should make it possible to provide backward compatible addon for 360 games at 1080p atleast given that 4 * Fullhd * 32bit/pixel needed for most deferred renderes need about 32mb of esram for ($150).

But this seems like a dream but 1080p 360 games addon or stand alone console would be a pretty dam good incentive to buy the add-on im even willing to pay $180 for that Halo 3 1080p maybe at 60fps hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnggg
Methinks you'll have to change your avatar ;)

Izick

Neither of the consoles are going to be bulky though. The Durango isn't likely even going to look bulky compared to the 360, maybe compared to the 360 slim, and the Stingray Xbox 360 model is going to be super slim like an Apple TV box.

Um a sort of good news rumor for Durango feels funny. Good funny, but funny.

This doesn't affect me (piggybacking) as I still have my 360 and I'm not buying an addon for BC, but I suppose this works for some.

"Always online" means the console will still be running in low power mode and be connected to Xbox Live after the user shuts the console down. Same as PS4. Edge interpreted it as a requirement and obviously many people were all too keen to go with Edge's interpretation.

Well, can't blame them too much. EGDE were right on the money with their PS4 leaks.

Reiko

Banned
Well, can't blame them too much. EGDE were right on the money with their PS4 leaks.

It's ridiculous for some to believe Edge can do no wrong. Even after the GI tweet on them apparently using scans without GI's permission.

The same goes as well for VGleaks.

Every website is subject to failure.

So the mini connects to Durango via the Kinect cord?
NO

The new set of FCC rules (from 2010), set to be made mandatory by June 2, 2014, also clarifies what capabilities are expected of the HD streams:

recordable high-definition video => DVR ability in both "always on" consoles without a TV tuner needed using RVU.
closed captioning data
service discovery
video transport
remote control command pass-through

DLNA Premium Video Profile, an HD-compliant version of the secure-streaming standard set to be ratified in 2013, was suggested as one possible option for cable companies.
Everything will be supporting RVU via LAN . Xbox 360/ARM sends h.264 video (1080P and S3D) through the Lan port to Durango. Game control via remote control command pass-through and Durango disk access of the Xbox 360 disk through a custom app using another network standard but encrypted by the Trustzone processors between Durango/ARM and Xbox360/ARM.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
NO

Everything will be supporting RVU via LAN . Xbox 360/ARM sends h.264 video (1080P and S3D) through the Lan port to Durango. Game control via remote control command pass-through and disk access through a custom app using another network standard but encrypted by the Trustzone processors between Durango/ARM and Xbox360/ARM.

The vgleaks article says that there is an "External Interface" for the 360 Mini / Durango link.

If it was just LAN they would have said it was via Ethernet / WiFi, not specify an "External Interface", the Microsoft Russia image above confirms this, it will be via the Kinect 2 connection.

Alx

Buzz words and gimmicks do hype and sell things :p

Maybe you can magnet-connect Surfaces and Durango and mini-360 together, and build a Voltron of entertainment. :p
(no seriously, connecting a Surface to a console and use it as a screen would be cool, I guess).

ascii42

Maybe you can magnet-connect Surfaces and Durango and mini-360 together, and build a Voltron of entertainment. :p
(no seriously, connecting a Surface to a console and use it as a screen would be cool, I guess).

It's enough to make me want to start breakdancing on a table.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
This BC is patentable idiotic (if true).

GavinGT

Banned
Did I miss something? Have these rumors been substantiated by other sources?

This BC is patentable idiotic (if true).

No it's not. BC wasn't feasible through software this time around and incorporating the hardware into every system would mean charging tons of people for something they don't need. This is a great solution, imo. It certainly trumps Sony's solution, which seems far from ideal in many ways. And it's much better than no BC, which is what we all had pretty much expected.

oldergamer

In the wake of this very positive news and that the rumors so many were freaking about are said to be untrue, how come this thread is so quiet all of a sudden?

this new is really positive, I would have expected so many more posts/pages in this thread by now.

Reiko

Banned
In the wake of this very positive news and that the rumors so many were freaking about are said to be untrue, how come this thread is so quiet all of a sudden?

this new is really positive, I would have expected so many more posts/pages in this thread by now.
Positive Microsoft threads are half as fun as negative MS threads:/

EvB

Everybody is too busy sharpening their pitchforks to notice!

It could be a product of confusion. We've heard a connection is required at all time, and that it will block used games. Now we've heard that it doesn't require a connection and won't block used games.

At this point, I have no idea what to believe. I'm impatiently waiting for some real info now.

JaggedSac

NO

Everything will be supporting RVU via LAN . Xbox 360/ARM sends h.264 video (1080P and S3D) through the Lan port to Durango. Game control via remote control command pass-through and Durango disk access of the Xbox 360 disk through a custom app using another network standard but encrypted by the Trustzone processors between Durango/ARM and Xbox360/ARM.

LAN seems like a rather poor way to retrieve disk data.

Zen

Banned
I don't think it changes a lot for people. A lot of posters were already leaning PS4 before the 'only play games online' rumor was abound. The other rumors, still being weaker, still requiring Kinnect 2.0, 500 dollars 300 subscription with presumably worse first party? Eh.

Dead Man

That sounds pretty awesome actually, a neat solution. I like it better than streaming games I already own.

This thread is missing almost all most active posters from previous xbox threads.
I wonder why? What happend to them :)

Can someone post comparison of top posters in this and #dealwithit threads?

:/ Who broke your hands?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
No it's not. BC wasn't feasible through software this time around and incorporating it into every system would mean charging tons of people for something they don't need. This is a great solution, imo. It certainly trumps Sony's solution, which seems far from ideal in many ways.
This 'solution' solves nothing. It is equal to the customer going out and getting the latest 360 stand-alone slim revision. The only benefit of the proposed 'solution' is that it will save a handful of people the need for a hdmi switch as they run out of free ports on their tvs. MS could have just as well announced an even cheaper 360 which does not need a Durango to function.

GavinGT

Banned
I'm confused. Is Rigby corroborating these rumors, guessing, or basing what he's saying on leaked documentation?

This 'solution' solves nothing. It is equal to the customer going out and getting the latest 360 stand-alone slim revision. The only benefit of the proposed 'solution' is that it will save a handful of people the need for a hdmi switch as they run out of free ports on their tvs. MS could have just as well announced an even cheaper 360 which does not need a Durango to function.

The 360 Mini doesn't require a Durango to function. And what do you mean it solves nothing? It grants users the option to play 360 games from their Durango, and it does so without driving up the price of the console for everyone else. It satiates the vocal niche who want everything unified under one roof. It'll be a tiny little box and it might not even need to be in the same room as the Durango.

If everything in the OP ends up being true, I think this is a fantastic turn of events for Durango. It greatly improves my personal feelings about it. Not required to be online, AND backwards compatibility with every 360 game?

I always knew Microsoft was evil enough to try the always online route, but I was never completely sure they were stupid enough to do it.

Top Bottom