• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[VG Tech] Mortal Kombat 11 PS5 and Xbox Series X|S Frame Rate Test

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Barely scratching the surface implies massive gains later. R&C looks great. I could see improvements for sure but I doubt massive ones will come.

They've achieved so much so far, with impressive RT on Spiderman MM. There is still a great room for improvement, it'll actually be pretty massive with data/polygon streaming system on PS Studios engines and UE5 that should save performance for what it matters.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Weird that the series X is better.
I guess the devs are not really skilled enough unlocking the true raw potential of MK11 on ps5
also the fact dual sense is basically not supported proves to me they do not give a fuck.

so no buy for me

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
These weren't meant to be true next gen versions of MK11 just slightly upgraded versions for the new consoles, there are some small improvements and higher native res but I'm guessing they just worked up from the Pro and One X versions.
Aaww, damn. And I thought it was next gen versions. Might need to edit my first post now. 😔

They finding the tools for better PS5 BC enhancements? 😳

They've achieved so much so far, with impressive RT on Spiderman MM. There is still a great room for improvement, it'll actually be pretty massive with data/polygon streaming system on PS Studios engines and UE5 that should save performance for what it matters.
Well we were told this last gen and honestly it never really came to fruition.

FranXico

Weird that the series X is better.
I guess the devs are not really skilled enough unlocking the true raw potential of MK11 on ps5
also the fact dual sense is basically not supported proves to me they do not give a fuck.

so no buy for me
It's a free upgrade, so you don't have to buy it. :p

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Well we were told this last gen and honestly it never really came to fruition.

Are you serious? How about TLOU2 or Death Stranding? This time around it's crystal clear what I'm talking about, unless you weren't following what's happening with the UE5 demo and what's different and how that unrivaled gameplay is as GPU intense as fortnite on PS4, which is a massive efficiency boost.

Are you serious? How about TLOU2 or Death Stranding? This time around it's crystal clear what I'm talking about, unless you weren't following what's happening with the UE5 demo and what's different and how that unrivaled gameplay is as GPU intense as fortnite on PS4, which is a massive efficiency boost.
Neither games are a massive leap above the order or infamous...
Than why did that demo run at 1440p 30 on ps5? With literally nothing going on?

Thats weird considering destiny 2 had the same resolution, same quality and ps5 had the slight edge on fps and both had more delta going on the screen at once and yet ps5 cant achieve the same resolution on this? O well u win some and lose some

The nature of the game itself sort of negates the IO advantages the PS5 has. Having a lightning fast SSD and a fast IO system really doesn’t do much in a game where everything is already loaded in before the stage even starts. Games like Destiny 2 where there is constant asset streaming is pretty much where the PS5 is more in it’s element.

Last edited:

Marvel

could never
I'm just annoyed they didn't make intros, outros, crushing blows and fatal blows 60fps on PS5.

Play this game a lot.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
The nature of the game itself sort of negates the IO advantages the PS5 has. Having a lightning fast SSD and a fast IO system really doesn’t do much in a game where everything is already loaded in before the stage even starts. Games like Destiny 2 where there is constant asset streaming is pretty much where the PS5 is more in it’s element.
This game can be run at 4k 60fps of a hdd

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Well yeah, it really wouldn’t make a difference what you loaded it off of other than making the initial load a bit longer.
Exactly so what you going on about here.

Exactly so what you going on about here.
He asked why Destiny 2 got different results than in this game. Essentially the difference we get in this is directly proportional to the power difference between the two consoles, once you get a game that involves streaming, the systems performance evens back out and they’re basically neck and neck.

Essentially in a game with no loading other than the start and little cpu usage all you’re doing is comparing gpu power.

Last edited:

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
He asked why Destiny 2 got different results than in this game. Essentially the difference we get in this is directly proportional to the power difference between the two consoles, once you get a game that involves streaming, the systems performance evens back out and they’re basically neck and neck.
Yes i know what you're saying but saying Destiny is about the I/O difference when the game can be run of a hdd on a PC

Yes i know what you're saying but saying Destiny is about the I/O difference when the game can be run of a hdd on a PC

Being able to run it off an HDD doesn’t mean it can’t gain performance from a faster I/O system, and an I/O system is about more than just transferring data from the drive.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Being able to run it off an HDD doesn’t mean it can’t gain performance from a faster I/O system, and an I/O system is about more than just transferring data from the drive.
Yes i know but i don't think thats the reason X drops frames in this game.

Yes i know but i don't think thats the reason X drops frames in this game.
??? The median framerate between the two was 52.38 on PS5 vs XSX at 52.4 because PS5 dropped a single frame. The lower times from 60 otherwise are from the 30fps transitions.

The main difference is the 16% bottom end resolution (which is exactly the GPU power difference on paper).

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
At Amd CES today, Panos x Lisa on fire :messenger_bicep:

11:17AM EST - Driving RDNA2 into the console and into the PC

11:16AM EST - Highest performance console on the planet

11:16AM EST - What it means to deliver an incredible gaming experience

11:16AM EST - Xbox series S and Series X

11:16AM EST - AMD's momentum is incredible, working with Lisa a long time

11:16AM EST - Co-engineering between Microsoft and AMD

11:15AM EST - Partnership with AMD is broad

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT

If anybody knows the people who made them would😎

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
??? The median framerate between the two was 52.38 on PS5 vs XSX at 52.4 because PS5 dropped a single frame. The lower times from 60 otherwise are from the 30fps transitions.

The main difference is the 16% bottom end resolution (which is exactly the GPU power difference on paper).
I should have put Destiny 2 i know. But that was the game we were talking about regarding I/O.
Even tho we are in this thread.

I should have put Destiny 2 i know. But that was the game we were talking about regarding I/O.
Even tho we are in this thread.
Oh my mistake. Yeah, the frame drops vs drops in resolution in Destiny 2 I’m thinking seems to be down to the SX really being stubborn in DRS and seems to decide to drop frames instead of drop resolution, where the PS5 seems to be a little more aggressive and drops resolution over frames. They are really neck and neck otherwise.

The main takeaway here is the expected 16% gap here is much wider than everything else we’ve seen but at the same point it’s the only game where it’s a straight GPU to GPU battle. And while it might seem like I’m shit talking the PS5 here: The PS5 being able to claw back that performance gap in other games and even surpass it just through sheer efficiency rather than power is about as impressive as it gets and they should be applauded.

Gudji

Gold Member

Cerny gonna be at CES? What a suprise.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Neither games are a massive leap above the order or infamous...
Than why did that demo run at 1440p 30 on ps5? With literally nothing going on?

Because it was by a very small team within Epic Games using raw 8K, Hollywood-level assets with zero compression directly from Quixel Megascans, not the gaming assets, and Z-Brush. They said that it'll be doing solid, locked 60fps, but it's a 7 month demo only.

So far, nothing even comes close to that level of detail, and by the end of the generation actual PS5 exclusive would easily exceed that as well using Oodle Texture, Geometry Engines, and further matured game engines that are fully coded to take full advantage of all of the PS5 perks.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
dj khaled keys GIF by Music Choice

What's wrong with cache scrubbers, Oodle Textures, Kraken and the Geometry Engine?

If that's BS then I guess RDNA2 isn't real with VRS, SFS and Mesh Shaders.

Everything helps but the degree that it helps is up to debate.
Can you tell me what if any performance advantage is to be gained by cache scrubbers?
A term that is thrown around by certain people as some kind of amazing tech, yet non here can tell you anything about what is gained by it.
The fact that AMD didn't want to adopt them might tell you something.

Can you tell me what if any performance advantage is to be gained by cache scrubbers?
A term that is thrown around by certain people as some kind of amazing tech, yet non here can tell you anything about what is gained by it.
The fact that AMD didn't want to adopt them might tell you something.

Well you tell me why Sony is using it if it has a negative impact on performance.

🤷‍♂️

Well you tell me why Sony is using it if it has a negative impact on performance.

🤷‍♂️
Did I say it's a negative impact?
The onus is on people who are proclaiming it as some amazing tech to show why it's amazing.
People on here throw it around like it's some ground breaking innovation when in reality non of you know shit about what impact it has in real world performance.

Did I say it's a negative impact?
The onus is on people who are proclaiming it as some amazing tech to show why it's amazing.
People on here throw it around like it's some ground breaking innovation when in reality non of you know shit about what impact it has in real world performance.

Well you did say it was a placebo.

Well you did say it was a placebo.
Where did I say it was a placebo?
I said none of the people here throwing it around have any idea what uplift to performance it has, which is a fact.
I also said AMD didn't bother with it in their Rdna 2 cards, even after Cerny telling how AMD can adopt their innovations as well.

Last edited:
Where did I say it was a placebo?
I said none of the people here throwing it around have any idea what uplift to performance it has, which is a fact.
I also said AMD didn't bother with it in their Rdna 2 cards, even after Cerny telling how AMD can adopt their innovations as well.

Well now your saying that it doesn't do anything which is the same as calling it a placebo.

Well now your saying that it doesn't do anything which is the same as calling it a placebo.
Again, I am not saying its doing nothing.
I am saying YOU don't know what it adds to the GPU performance wise.
If you are saying its good then you need to say what it does and what it adds to performance. Its not up to me to prove either way.

Lysandros

That's the max theoretical vector ALU throughput difference not 'GPU power' as a whole.

Again, I am not saying its doing nothing.
I am saying YOU don't know what it adds to the GPU performance wise.
If you are saying its good then you need to say what it does and what it adds to performance. Its not up to me to prove either way.

But now your saying it does help the GPU out that's the point. Which is what I was saying earlier. I understand what it does what I don't know is how much it helps.

You can choose to believe it does nothing if you wish.

Flushing all of the GPU caches whenever the SSD is read is an unattractive option it could really hurt the GPU performance.

Last edited:
Because it was by a very small team within Epic Games using raw 8K, Hollywood-level assets with zero compression directly from Quixel Megascans, not the gaming assets, and Z-Brush. They said that it'll be doing solid, locked 60fps, but it's a 7 month demo only.

So far, nothing even comes close to that level of detail, and by the end of the generation actual PS5 exclusive would easily exceed that as well using Oodle Texture, Geometry Engines, and further matured game engines that are fully coded to take full advantage of all of the PS5 perks.
I think you might be setting yourself up for disappointment. Or at the very least these super high fidelity games will be available across the board and not exclusive to ps.

But now your saying it does help the GPU out that's the point. Which is what I was saying earlier. I understand what it does what I don't know is how much it helps.

You can choose to believe it does nothing if you wish.
So please tell me how much it gives the GPU in the PS5 for extra performance compared to the stock AMD GPU without it.
I can tell you that VRS Tier 2 gives a 14% performance boost to the GPU.
MS have quantified the savings through VRS. Its legit tech that has been adopted by MS, AMD and Nvidia.

People on here throw out "Cache Scrubbers" like its some amazing thing that boosts the PS5 GPU over a stock AMD GPU. Ok then, tell me how much extra performance it gives the PS5 GPU over a stock AMD one.
Fact is you, nor anyone else here, can do it, because none of US know what, if much, it does for the GPU.

Top Bottom