• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

vg247-PS4: new kits shipping now, AMD A10 used as base, final version next summer

patsu

Random query: Will the PS4 have DSP?

Also can someone outline what a DSP in a console be used for besides processing audio separately from CPU in layman terms?

It depends on the technical details.

Because of their similarity, some people compared the SPUs in Cell to DSPs early this gen:

Major Nelson: "The Cell's seven DSPs (what Sony calls SPEs) have no cache, no direct access to memory, no branch predictor, and a different instruction set from the PS3's main CPU. They are not designed for or efficient at general purpose computing. DSPs are not appropriate for game programming." ^_^

When used properly, the SPUs could match the console GPUs of its era. So they are used for different stages of rendering in addition to security, physics, compression/decompression, video and audio decoding/encoding/processing, motion input, etc.

Traditional DSPs can still perform a lot of these things in piecemeal fashion, minus the rendering part (Modern GPUs should be more appropriate for end-to-end graphics work now).

EDIT: I just realized Wario was banned. What happened ?

The chinese source is terribly wrong. Specialguy has already given out updated info.

He's not any more credible than the alleged AMD guy. People are just cherry picking which rumors they want to believe at this point.

And that "updated info" is most likely posts read on b3d.

Reiko

Banned
He's not any more credible than the alleged AMD guy. People are just cherry picking which rumors they want to believe at this point.

And that "updated info" is most likely posts read on b3d.

Like I said, spot on posts gets removed. Just ask sweetvar26.

He's on gag order.

He's on gag order.

I wasn't specifically talking about sweetvar26. But there is definitely a lot of people who are pretending to have insider info, when in reality they're just heavy b3d users who follow rumors really closely.

sweetvar26 as far as I know is the only one who had his posts removed from google cache.

Truespeed

Major Nelson: "The Cell's seven DSPs (what Sony calls SPEs) have no cache, no direct access to memory, no branch predictor, and a different instruction set from the PS3's main CPU. They are not designed for or efficient at general purpose computing. DSPs are not appropriate for game programming." ^_^

Gotta love it when grampa Herb explains technology.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
Usually each new generation means a new IP with Naughty Dog.

let me add that ND was and still is the lead engineers of the internal first party ICE team. more than likely they will have a lot of say on tools for PS4 and give out tons of support to first party teams.

Going from rumors only...I think this is a fair analysis of power comparisons for next-gen...

WiiU=Dreamcast (actually, a little weaker)

PS4/Orbis=PS2

720/Durango=Xbox

??

I think I'm quite ok with that...OS/Ecosystem/controller/3rd 1st party titles between the largest buying factors...

Going from rumors only...I think this is a fair analysis of power comparisons for next-gen...

WiiU=Dreamcast (actually, a little weaker)

PS4/Orbis=PS2

720/Durango=Xbox

??

I think I'm quite ok with that...OS/Ecosystem/controller/3rd 1st party titles between the largest buying factors...

WiiU= Wii (actually a little weaker)

Ps4 = Xbox 360

720 = Xbox 360

Because of their similarity, some people compared the SPUs in Cell to DSPs early this gen:

When used properly, the SPUs could match the console GPUs of its era. So they are used for different stages of rendering in addition to security, physics, compression/decompression, video and audio decoding/encoding/processing, motion input, etc.

Traditional DSPs can still perform a lot of these things in piecemeal fashion, minus the rendering part (Modern GPUs should be more appropriate for end-to-end graphics work now).

EDIT: I just realized Wario was banned. What happened ?

Glad Major Nelson, a PR man, is making comments on technology.

It might not have a typical cache, but it has a local store 256kb... not much but the access speeds for that data was instant.

It bothers me how much people downplay the Cell when it played a huge role in the RSX sucking major ass this gen.

WiiU= Wii (actually a little weaker)

Ps4 = Xbox 360

720 = Xbox 360
lol...hmmm, well I haven't checked out WiiU enough to make that analysis, but I thought it was a bit more powerful than current gen stuff, really haven't been following it, but I guess that analysis is closer as WiiU games have mostly resembled current gen.

With Sony trying to get there stock back though, I figured they might be forced to release a consoles that's profitable early on, and even though MS lost a lot of $$ on RROD, it's still MS...

lol...hmmm, well I haven't checked out WiiU enough to make that analysis, but I thought it was a bit more powerful than current gen stuff, really haven't been following it, but I guess that analysis is closer as WiiU games have mostly resembled current gen.

With Sony trying to get there stock back though, I figured they might be forced to release a consoles that's profitable early on, and even though MS lost a lot of $$ on RROD, it's still MS...

Your first post said based off rumours but this post basically says you just made it up off random thoughts

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Both systems are going to be very similar with some differences - much like the current PS3 and 360. The plus side for Sony is this time they got a lot of input from third parties on the design so hopefully the development issues they had/have with PS3 are eliminated in the next system.

thuway

Both systems are going to be very similar with some differences - much like the current PS3 and 360. The plus side for Sony is this time they got a lot of input from third parties on the design so hopefully the development issues they had/have with PS3 are eliminated in the next system.

Agreed. These two machiens have fundamentally different approaches to rendering. It's quite a beautiful thing.

Well according to Aegies, the third parties still have no clue as to what the PS4 is and there isn't much talk.
Hopefully you are correct and third parties are being given a voice this time instead of just having them take what Sony gives them.

Massa

Well according to Aegies, the third parties still have no clue as to what the PS4 is and there isn't much talk.
Hopefully you are correct and third parties are being given a voice this time instead of just having them take what Sony gives them.

Kutaragi Sony used to design their systems in Japan without much input from third party or first party developers. I don't know about third party but I do know that SCE Worldwide Studios are much more involved with the design of the PS4.

maybe not ELIMINATED, but at least minimized. we kept hearing devs scream for more and more ram, so if sony's giving them a little less than they wanted, but increasing it's speed and bandwidth, then it makes up for it. or at least gives them a viable solution for how to build their engines.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

Maybe he just didn't hear from the right people.

rdrr gnr

Aegies, is, well, Aegies.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Japan does, but I'm not sure who exactly yet.
I have a strong feeling KojiPro will likely have some input because of the Fox Engine. I think that for the early part of next gen MS and Sony will be battling for an exclusive next gen port of some multiplatform current gen games and I think Sony will make a play for MGSV.

aegies

Maybe he just didn't hear from the right people.

Almost assuredly.

Edit: I haven't spoken to many people working for the Japanese publishers, because they tend to keep their western staff in the dark as much as possible. More than you'd think possible. That said, I think it's a safe bet that Luminous was built with the PS4/Orbis in mind.

He's on gag order.

sweetvar26 had a friend who worked for AMD, who could get fired for divulging such information. It should be obvious why sweetvar had his posts deleted.

While I do think it's coming in 2013, PS4 seems earlier anyway. A lot of Durango info came in because beta kits with final hardware came out. I dont think final-ish PS4 kits are coming till summer, by all rumors. So we're dealing with earlier stage PS4 specs imo.

I wish we'd get some big grand spec dump in some corner of the internet one of these days...it's about time...

B.O.O.M

Kutaragi Sony used to design their systems in Japan without much input from third party or first party developers. I don't know about third party but I do know that SCE Worldwide Studios are much more involved with the design of the PS4.

Maybe they primarily talked to eastern third parties

Top Bottom