• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

vg247-PS4: new kits shipping now, AMD A10 used as base, final version next summer

jaosobno

Best part from that CVG article about controller:

The new console - codenamed Orbis - will be revealed in a matter of weeks, not months

a_really_bad_day.jpg

Verendus

Banned
Sony just spent hundreds of millions of dollars releasing a handheld in a post iphone reality. They released move. They continue to put out first party titles that don't sell particularly well. They hitched their wagon to blu-ray and it cost them dearly.
Sony first/second party exclusives have sold 75+ million on the PS3. They're far from not selling "particularly well". They're doing very well. They just have several bombas too, like All Stars, Resistance 3, MAG etc. I'd fault Sony on many things, but their first party exclusives are not one of them. They were smart to release many exclusives, even if some of them seemed like throwing crap at a wall to see if it'll stick.

Plus, for some games, like All Stars, an improved sequel could prove to be successful with the right additions.

Yup and likely why it's been dismissed or not thought of but AA is a hog and the above uses several algorithms that AA uses and it's hardware based. If it can detect an edge and noise it can be tuned to do AA. The worth less feature you turn off caused me to wonder at all the AA issues others were commenting about as I didn't have them on my 2008 Samsung DLP and it was the very top end with TI video processing. When I connected my PS3 to a cheaper TV I seriously noticed the AA issues in older games.

If you can force developers to support 1080P you can probably get very good performance out of the built in HD Media accelerator to eliminate aliasing.

So after the GPU rendered the picture and "sends" it to the TV there is another process step to apply AA - that might work for movies or Quantic Dream games but in nothing else otherwise it is Welcome to Lag Town: Population every game! People already complain about input latency and gamers buy TVs according to their response time - you can't just add another effect like AA just like that.

AlStrong

So you can do 80MB now for the same cost as 10MB then. Except you're only using 32MB now. The die area/slash cost should be less than half while still giving you more EDRAM per pixel.

Mind you, it's one thing to produce an off-die eDRAM chip, and it's quite another to fully integrate it.

Plus, for some games, like All Stars, an improved sequel could prove to be successful with the right additions.

all stars isn't going anywhere until they actually give players what they want, which they might not be able to do because most of what people want is 3rd party characters, which are synonym with ps.

This is probably a dumb question but humor me. If developers were happy with that amount of slow RAM then why would Microsoft add more expense and complexity to their product by including ESRAM? Does it not signal that it's in reaction to a perceived flaw in the design of the hardware?

ESRAM wasn't an afterthought most likely.

thuway

all stars isn't going anywhere until they actually give players what they want, which they might not be able to do because most of what people want is 3rd party characters, which are synonym with ps.

Agreed. Until Cloud, Sora, Crash, Wanderer, etc. show up. This game has no where to go. The fact that Sony ignores its JRPG roots is the saddest part.

It would not be revealed at Destination Playstation.

If it's at Destination Playstation it'll be because it was revealed at a Playstation Meeting or some such earlier in Feb.

Would make sense to show retailers a few days afterwards what they can expect not vice versa.

I still think Sony will go for a stacked DDR4 over GDDR5. Same bandwidth results, same high initial costs, but the costs for DDR4 would drive down more quickly than GDDR5 ever will at this point.

thuway

I still think Sony will go for a stacked DDR4 over GDDR5. Same bandwidth results, same high initial costs, but the costs for DDR4 would drive down more quickly than GDDR5 ever will at this point.

Whatever it takes for Sony to meet their target specs of 192 GB/S and 1.84 TF, they will do it.

Whatever it takes for Sony to meet their target specs of 192 GB/S and 1.84 TF, they will do it.

I also believe the heat footprint would be less than 4gigs of GDDR5... which is a power hog and fire hazard (lol). This is wishful thinking, but going with stacked DDR4 would allow for additional resources going into more ram. I highly doubt it would happen though. I'm just hoping it would.

Racer30

What makes you think 192 GB/S is the target?

What about this? http://news.softpedia.com/news/Rambus-Shows-World-s-Best-RAM-Technology-292885.shtml

From what was shown at IDF, the new Rambus technology can offer single-channel bandwidths of up to 192 GB/s while a quad channel implementation would bring us almost 0.8 TB/s.

It would align nicely with this: Terabyte Bandwidth Initiative

:D

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I think this as well. It makes a lot of sense in the long term and would keep heat, energy, and latency down.

Ooh. Interesting. How on earth did you dig that up?

Not sure how practical it is to get manufacturing plant to get that new system in, if Sony does get it, then that would be cream worthy. Seems way too soon for that tech though.

800 Gbps... Jayzus

I think this as well. It makes a lot of sense in the long term and would keep heat, energy, and latency down.

Yeah, GDDR5 might be what they are using in the dev kits.

Ashes

Banned
Not sure how practical it is to get manufacturing plant to get that new system in, if Sony does get it, then that would be cream worthy. Seems way too soon for that tech though.

800 Gbps... Jayzus

Oh I don't think it will happen. We were discussing Rambus stuff the other day. And didn't catch the XDR3. Not even Jeff mentioned it. There are still so very many things that we haven't covered. lol.

Oh I don't think it will happen. We were discussing Rambus stuff the other day. And didn't catch the XDR3. Not even Jeff mentioned it. There are still so very many things that we haven't covered. lol.

From what I understand from the article, this replaces the "XDR3" proprietary thing. It still works for their TB initiative, but yeah, XDR2 is out of the question. Too expensive. Not too mention DDR4 stacking is likely at this point.

Damn that ram sounds amazing, and cheap too!

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Rambus-Shows-World-s-Best-RAM-Technology-292885.shtml

I really hope Sony goes all out and stick 6gbs of it in the PS4, along with an AMD 8850 GPU along side a AMD Steamroller CPU.

This along side the revamped controller, kickass sony first parties, support for the Oculus Rift (while MS is busy wasting time with crap like Kinect) and free online, and the PS4 will hands down be the console to own nextgen.

Lurker here but find this thread very intresting... just to throw out something ....

I keep hearing fast ram but low power... and sony have had a history for rambus... how about this...

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Rambus-Shows-World-s-Best-RAM-Technology-292885.shtml

low power and fast as GDDR5

It's neat but a few things

1. Rambus memory is ridiculously expensive. The 256MB of XDR in PS3 cost more than twice as much as the 256GB of GDDR3 during the same timeframe. They (Rambus) charge a pretty penny even when the technology is cheap since the designs are completely their own.

2. XDR2 isn't even a real product yet let alone XDR3, adding more to the expense.

3. Rambus is fabless company and last I checked no memory manufacturers want anything to do with Rambus, meaning if Sony were to use XDR2 memory manufacturing companies like Samsung, Hynix would charge Sony a premium.

Damn that ram sounds amazing, and cheap too!

I really hope Sony goes all out and stick 6gbs of it in the PS4, along with an AMD 8850 GPU along side a AMD Steamroller CPU.

This along side the revamped controller, kickass sony first parties, support for the Oculus Rift (while MS is busy wasting time with crap like Kinect) and free online, and the PS4 will hands down be the console to own nextgen.

you know this won't happen right?

It's neat but a few things

1. Rambus memory is ridiculously expensive. The 256MB of XDR in PS3 cost more than twice as much as the 256GB of GDDR3 during the same timeframe. They (Rambus) charge a pretty penny even when the technology is cheap since the designs are completely their own.

2. XDR2 isn't even a real product yet let alone XDR3, adding more to the expense.

3. Rambus is fabless company and last I checked no memory manufacturers want anything to do with Rambus, meaning if Sony were to use XDR2 memory manufacturing companies like Samsung, Hynix would charge Sony a premium.

I would generally agree with you (3 mainly), but this "new" tech uses DDR3 technology. Not the proprietary stuff that XDR is.

Is there still a possibility of RAM set aside for the OS?

I doubt it. I feel like it'll be one pool.

you know this won't happen right?

So far rumors point to an PS4 having an APU that consists of 4 core Steamroller + 7000/8000 series GPU.

Supporting Occulus...I don't see happening unless it's just a USB device gamers can buy but not directly supported by Sony. But rather having to be implemented on a game by game basis ala KB/M for PS3.

Ashes

Banned
Occulus is made for gaming. It will be at E3 I'm sure. I have a feeling whoever brings that on stage is going to 'win' E3 regardless of specs, trailers, or Kevin Butler showing up on stage again.

I would generally agree with you (3 mainly), but this "new" tech uses DDR3 technology. Not the proprietary stuff that XDR is.
Even then it'd still be expensive. Rambus isn't part of any consortium that makes up memory specs. Even if it's using DDR3 chips, there's nothing stopping Rambus from charging premium since the XDR3 chip design is completely their own. As an example using numbers pulled out my ass. Let's say the going rate for 256MB DDR3 chip is $5, there's nothing stopping Rambus from charging $10-$15 per chip.

Acheteedo

This along side the revamped controller, kickass sony first parties, support for the Oculus Rift (while MS is busy wasting time with crap like Kinect) and free online, and the PS4 will hands down be the console to own nextgen.[/B]

Somehow I can't see Sony supporting the Rift, that would be in direct competition with their HMZ sets. They're much more likely to develop their own device, which could take a long time. MS on the other hand will probably attempt to buy Oculus if it takes off. I suspect Oculus isn't for sale, however.

Even then it'd still be expensive. Rambus isn't part of any consortium that makes up memory specs. Even if it's using DDR3 chips, there's nothing stopping Rambus from charging premium since the XDR3 chip design is completely their own. As an example using numbers pulled out my ass. Let's say the going rate for 256MB DDR3 chip is $5, there's nothing stopping Rambus from charging $10-$15 per chip.

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong. Still likely expensive, but I'm sure not as expensive as XDR was.

Ashes

Banned
Even then it'd still be expensive. Rambus isn't part of any consortium that makes up memory specs. Even if it's using DDR3 chips, there's nothing stopping Rambus from charging premium since the XDR3 chip design is completely their own. As an example using numbers pulled out my ass. If the going rate for 256MB DDR3 chip is say $5, there's nothing stopping Rambus from charging $10 per chip.

Well, actually there is. Rambus make money off of PS3. Heck it's their only money making machine. PS3 is at the end of its life cycle, if they don't have a design win in the PS4, then the outlook of the company doesn't look so good, especially with their reputation.

Whatever we say, Sony got the performance they were looking for in XDR, and of course they must have had talks already with Rambus for the PS4, because they must have negotiated lower prices every time Sony lowered the manufacturing price of the ps3.

I'm guessing things didn't turn out so well for Rambus this time if they were looking for the same kinda deal, as Sony probably can't bleed money like before.

;) ... Just a hunch

lets just see what the next playstation uses... Dev kits do change from actual released hardware fyi...

:)

Do they now?

Occulus is made for gaming. It will be at E3 I'm sure. I have a feeling whoever brings that on stage is going to 'win' E3 regardless of specs, trailers, or Kevin Butler showing up on stage again.

Those guys aren't going to be "working" for either MS or Sony. You'll have to get that for PC.

Ashes

Banned
Those guys aren't going to be "working" for either MS or Sony. You'll have to get that for PC.

How about 'working' with?

If you like this idea, upvote it on the Playstation Blog Share site that Sony developers frequent...

http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/ideas/2012/08/14/oculus-rift-head-mounted-display/

The Blog Share was how fans managed to get Kevin Butler at the E3 conference last year, so there's no reason they couldn't do something similar with the Oculus Rift this year.

Says server is down for maintenance bro.

Sony could easily partner with (or outright buy) the people making Oculus Rift to make out of the box PS4 support for it at launch a reality.

Alternatively, Sony already has it's own VR headset....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77oCTRIUCk8&feature=player_embedded#!

...though without some of the features Oculus Rift offers that makes the Rift better to use, but there's no reason Sony can't fix those problems and release an upgraded VR headset for the PS4 that is on par with the Rift but at a higher resolution to boot (720p per eye).

If you like this idea, upvote it on the Playstation Blog Share site that Sony developers frequent...

http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/ideas/2012/08/14/oculus-rift-head-mounted-display/

The Blog Share was how fans managed to get Kevin Butler at the E3 conference last year, so there's no reason they couldn't do something similar with the Oculus Rift this year.

How about 'working' with?

In what sense?

Can you plug game peripherals from non licensed brands on your Ps3/Xbox 360? We are also talking about the machine having to reserve power to work with Oculus Rift, which would mean devs developing with it in mind. It's not like you can just plug it in and it will do the rest for you.

Unless something completely unexpected happens, VR on consoles will happen when manufacturers make it happen, with their own tech.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
whats the bandwidth on ddr4?

The same as DDR3 at the same clock rate. Fast DDR4 in triple channel configuration can get you 50+GB/s. I don't know how stacking changes the bandwidth, anyone have a quick a dirty explanation?

So far rumors point to an PS4 having an APU that consists of 4 core Steamroller + 7000/8000 series GPU.

Supporting Occulus...I don't see happening unless it's just a USB device gamers can buy but not directly supported by Sony. But rather having to be implemented on a game by game basis ala KB/M for PS3.

didn't we have people talking about both consoles having a jaguar cpu and ps4 having a 7xxx gpu (higher clocked)? and rumors still say 4gb of ram at best. about the oculus rift, sony already has their own thing so i doubt they would buy or work with occulus rift.

Ashes

Banned
In what sense?

Can you plug game peripherals from non licensed brands on your Ps3/Xbox 360? We are also talking about the machine having to reserve power to work with Oculus Rift, which would mean devs developing with it in mind. It's not like you can just plug it in and it will do the rest for you.

Unless something completely unexpected happens, VR on consoles will happen when manufacturers make it happen, with their own tech.

Reserve power? wait, what? Like Kinect?

Maybe I haven't been keeping up with news, but shouldn't all the processing stuff be onboard? How are they managing latency if it's not onboard? This thing is going to fail or succeed based on latency...

External processing seems like a dumb design for such a thing.

The only thing the ps4 would have to do is feed it's visual data, same as a monitor surely?

I mean you would need to change the software to match the wider pov, 3d etc... but that's engine stuff which has to happen anyway.. for anything...

Top Bottom