• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

vg247-PS4: new kits shipping now, AMD A10 used as base, final version next summer

charsace

I was talking about 1.5gb to use for VRAM. OS footprints are small, but i can see them walling off a section from devs for system use only like Nintendo does with their Wii U. I don't see why they would even need 512mb in this day and age, but i was being very generous with the partitioning to account for the worst case scenarios.

They are going to need more than 1.5GB of vram if these systems are going to be doing 1080p deferred rendered frames with good AA.

3GB of VRAM would easily get to a 1080p deferred rendered frame with HDR and good AA. For every game.

Proelite

I'm confused. Current rumours state the PS4 to have 8GB RAM in total?

That's why I put 1-2 for most of the ram figures. The higher figures are the limits of what they can do without having a nightmare of a motherboard when it comes to ram chips and interconnectors.

Averon

Piecing little bits and pieces that I heard,

Orbis:

Customized Kaveri APU with > 1 teraflop
2-4GB of DDR4

Audio DSP

Customized Sea Island discrete GPU 2-3 teraflops
1-2GB GDDR5

ARM + PowerVr SOC (Apps and OS only)
2GB LDDR3

The Arm SOC allows for easy porting of both Vita and mobile games.

Sounds like a beast of a machine. I don't see how anyone can be disappointed with these specs.

So, those suggesting Gaikai for PS3 BC, how would that even work? IBM no longer makes Cell server blades, and 60fps games would be 30fps and 720p instead because of bandwidth issues.

Orbis:

2-4GB of DDR4

Audio DSP

1-2GB GDDR5

2GB LDDR3

Seems like a pipedream.

True. 8GB is reaching. 512mb-1gb for the OS reserve is a must. 1.5gb min for 1080p frame buffer. That's already 2-2.5gb taken up already. 4GB total sounds reasonable IMO. 1.5-2GB free OUTSIDE of the 1.5gb used for the 1080p frame buffer for the devs to use is better than the measly 300 something mb total they have to work with now. I'd want 8GB for the sake of the future, but i'd be satisfied with 4GB so long as it's all one large unified pool of fast ram and they have a decent amount of edram on chip.

Again, again and again.

GB of RAM doesn't give you performance

So please, enough of this "more ram" nonsense if you don't know what that means.

2-3GB of unified memory for 1080p is more and i mean, more then enough. For future proof you will need hardware that won't be avaliable at the time of MSFT/Sony consoles.

Same as always: as time passes, lower res, lower framerate, lower image quality --> get more performance.

phosphor112
Worse than that xD.

-If you're going to use a dedicated gpu as the main source of graphics power, why 2-4GB for the buil-in gpu of the APU?

3GB unified memory.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I'm confused. Current rumours state the PS4 to have 8GB RAM in total?
It is said that devkit has 8 or 16GB (possibly because they haven't decided yet?). Which would mean that the console could have between 4 and 8.

Sounds like a beast of a machine. I don't see how anyone can be disappointed with these specs.
That would be a nice console, even at the low end of those specs, IMO. It high end it would be awesome and something I'd gladly pay more for. I like how OS would be running on its own hardware which would mean a smooth running OS even while the game is running.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
The arm/powervr soc thing sounds immediately fishy. They would not need that to run ps mobile games on ps4, which would be the candidate point of intersection with vita. There's already a PC runtime environment for psm outside of arm/pvr.

The suggestions overall there are delicious but hard to credit. Thats basically almost three full subsystems rolled into one machine. Too much overlap and redundancy. If you thought ps3's internals were complicated this would be at least the same (as first gen ps3s) from that pov. If the aim is power at a good price, I'm not sure that pitch stacks up.

Reiko

Banned
Again, again and again.

So please, enough of this "more ram" nonsense if you don't know what that means.

2-3GB of unified memory for 1080p is more and i mean, more then enough. For future proof you will need hardware that won't be avaliable at the time of MSFT/Sony consoles.

Same as always: as time passes, lower res, lower framerate, lower image quality --> get more performance.

phosphor112
Worse than that xD.

-If you're going to use a dedicated gpu as the main source of graphics power, why 2-4GB for the buil-in gpu of the APU?

3GB unified memory.

It's less about performance and more about stability. Less worrying about pop-in with everything being already loaded into RAM.

It would work wonders for Bethseda games.

charsace

Again, again and again.

phosphor112
Worse than that xD.

3GB unified memory.
2-3 for the system alone would not be enough if they are aiming for a 1080p. Deferred rendering is the future. All the big licensed engines seem to be pushing it. To get a 1080p frame with deferred rendering and HDR and some AA you will need 2GB of memory or a little more. That's graphics alone. No AI or physics is figured into the number I'm giving. Then you need ram if you want software to run in the background. These systems will have somewhere in the ballpark of 4-8GB of ram.

onQ123

Orbis:

2-4GB of DDR4

Audio DSP

1-2GB GDDR5

2GB LDDR3

http://semiaccurate.com/2012/03/02/sony-playstation-4-will-be-an-x86-cpu-with-an-amd-gpu/

I guess this is what SA was talking about when they said sony was going Stacking crazy with the PS4.

Proelite

If the aim is power at a good price, I'm not sure that pitch stacks up.

Rough estimate for component costs

APU ~$25
Discrete GPU ~$50
Mobile SOC ~$20
DDR4 ram ~$20
GDDR5 ram ~$25
LDDR3 ram ~$15

Total for Main chipsets and ram: ~$155.

Compared to $270-$300 for the PS3's chipsets and ram at launch

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward

APU ~$25
Discrete GPU ~$50
Mobile SOC ~$20
DDR4 ram ~$20
GDDR5 ram ~$25
LDDR3 ram ~$15

Compared to $270-$300 for the PS3 at launch

I don't know about the costings, but taking your numbers, they could cut at least 20% out of that budget without impacting functionality I think. Which is why I'm not biting...it lacks a certain simplicity I would expect after ps3 and seeing vita's design. They're not going to put in stuff that doesn't really need to be there.

(I'm also totally not buying the 3-4 Tflops thing...unless its coming later and on a different manufacturing node than expected. But even that'd be a stretch. I tend toward the rumour that hovered around 2 Tflops as the target...and whilst that info was fairly old, I doubt the goalposts have shifted so significantly in the interim)

Well see next year though - or sooner, maybe, if we get more specific leaks!

Shikoro

APU ~$25
Discrete GPU ~$50
Mobile SOC ~$20
DDR4 ram ~$20
GDDR5 ram ~$25
LDDR3 ram ~$15

Even if those were the specs, I think that you're underestimating its cost a little. But just a little. :)

Man

The arm/powervr soc thing sounds immediately fishy. They would not need that to run ps mobile games on ps4, which would be the candidate point of intersection with vita. There's already a PC runtime environment for psm outside of arm/pvr.
100% false for sure.

APU ~$25
Discrete GPU ~$50
Mobile SOC ~$20
DDR4 ram ~$20
GDDR5 ram ~$25
LDDR3 ram ~$15

I want to believe. I hope you are not pulling our leg.

Man

Spoiler: It will be a $399 console. A10 derived APU, 7970-esque GPU, 4GB ram (3 for games), 128GB or higher SSD storage (proprietary slot for more storage). Blu-ray.
A Guerrilla Games shooter (Killzone 4?) will be the big launch title.

onQ123

The suggestions overall there are delicious but hard to credit. Thats basically almost three full subsystems rolled into one machine. Too much overlap and redundancy. If you thought ps3's internals were complicated this would be at least the same (as first gen ps3s) from that pov. If the aim is power at a good price, I'm not sure that pitch stacks up.

I think you read it wrong because I didn't see anything about the Arm/PowerVR being needed for running Vita/Mobile games. but if it's there for the OS & Apps why not take advantage of the fact that it's easier to port the Vita/Mobile games to run on the SOC?

(I'm also totally not buying the 3-4 Tflops thing...unless its coming later and on a different manufacturing node than expected. But even that'd be a stretch. I tend toward the rumour that hovered around 2 Tflops as the target...and whilst that info was fairly old, I doubt the goalposts have shifted so significantly in the interim)

Well the 2TFLOP info was from 2010 doc so if this coming out in late 2013 or 2014 that more than 3 to 4 years old.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
yknow what would be an intersting idea? a playstation nexus that runs android 5.0.

the cost of the system is subsidized by google but sony still makes money on game purchases while google makes money on app purchases. that would be pretty dope.

Misterhbk

Spoiler: It will be a $399 console. A10 derived APU, 7970-esque GPU, 4GB ram (3 for games), 128GB or higher SSD storage (proprietary slot for more storage). Blu-ray.

I'm still saying Sony makes the last of us a ps4 launch title as well (it'll be ps3 and ps4)

Please someone tell me why those components would cost more than 25% of market price for Sony.

I'm not questioning that they would, I have no idea. I'm just hoping you didn't make up any of this and actually have some inside info because that sounds very powerful.

i-Lo

Pertaining to SSD, what are the real odds of that happening? SSD is still pretty expensive so I assume the size packed would be pretty limited. Also, I'd assume that they'd be partnering up with a specific manufacturer to reduce price.

2GB LDDR3

?? wat

Could that be a controller/remote display/vmu mcguffin? Sounds like an odd thing to put in the box along with the rest. I don't know the specifics but LDDR3 is laptop/tablet RAM? I'm assuming that's synonymous with LPDDR3. (Low Power) If there's any truth to that rumour it's the only thing that would make sense to me.

Why say it would help port Vita/Mobile games if it's Apps/OS only? Confused.

Pertaining to SSD, what are the real odds of that happening? SSD is still pretty expensive so I assume the size packed would be pretty limited. Also, I'd assume that they'd be partnering up with a specific manufacturer to reduce price.

SSD prices are dropping fast though, I bought an SSD about a year ago 64GB for $100 and I thought it was a steal! Now you can get 128GB for the same price or less... in another year it'll likely be 256GB for the same price. Over the course of the PS4's lifetime SSD prices will become inconsequential.

I Have a strong feeling that the GPU, CPU and or APU will be awesome. but I am itching to see if SONY has come up with a proprietary technology that makes the system do things graphically and performance wise that will be an industry standard. Like a Chipset that can scale up images with no performance hit. etc, etc.

Wouldn't 3 gigs of ram totally bottleneck the rest?

Proelite

Could that be a controller/remote display/vmu mcguffin? Sounds like an odd thing to put in the box along with the rest. I don't know the specifics but LDDR3 is laptop/tablet RAM? I'm assuming that's synonymous with LPDDR3. (Low Power) If there's any truth to that rumour it's the only thing that would make sense to me.

Why devote advanced silicon and fast ram to do stuff that mobile parts and ram can do extremely well already? Expecially when you need to have the lightweight stuff running concurrently as the heavylifting games.

The benefits of having an mobile SOC and mobile ram for the OS and concurrent running apps.

1. Games, apps, and OS features accessible simultaneously
2. Lower power mode when not playing games
3. No need to partition main ram.
4. Easy porting of mobile and Vita apps / games to PS4.
5. More fast ram for games.
6. More fast CPU for games.
7. Security

Cons:
1. A little bit of additional manufacturing cost.

Microsoft is already probably doing this for Durango due to their patents.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Pa...smedia-Gaming-communication-fabric,16281.html

One of their patents even boasts a third CPU/GPU combo. That's 3 SOC/APUs!

RaijinFY

Orbis:

2-4GB of DDR4

Audio DSP

1-2GB GDDR5

2GB LDDR3

I dunno where you got these "infos" but they sound fishy as hell.

One of their patents even boasts a third CPU/GPU combo. That's 3 SOC/APUs!

Well I knew Durango was described as weird but I wasn't expecting that!

I suppose if the always-on part of the console is mobile hardware it would make sense. Did you add the thing about mobile/vita games or is that your info?

MDX

Reading OP's post again:

Developers are currently taking receipt of a new PlayStation 4 dev kit, VG247 has been told today, with a final version slated to appear in January.

But...

and the third version, appearing in January, will be close to final spec.
A final version will be delivered to developers “next summer”.

So what is it? Final version in Jan or Summer?

Our source told us that Sony is only calling the machine Orbis, and is not using the words “PlayStation 4″ in these meetings at all.

Why are they not calling it PS4?
Is it because 4 is a bad luck number in Japan?
Is it because they are straying away from the Playstation brand?
And if they are straying away from the PS brand, their philosophy and approach to
gaming consoles could have changed.

If the OP's posted this rumor in the WiiU speculation thread as a WiiU rumor, it would have fit closely with statements made during Iwata's ask about the WiiU hardware.

Orbis, we were told today, is based on the AMD’s A10 APU series. An APU (Accelerated Processing Unit) is a combined CPU and GPU. PS4′s APU was described today as a “derivative” of existing A10 hardware. The hardware is “based on A10 system and base platform”.

Not exactly how the WiiU is made, but the philosophy is similar.
Bringing the CPU and GPU as close together as possible.

The “ultimate goal” for the hardware, we were told, is for it to be able to run 1080p60 games in 3D with “no problem,” to create a machine that’s powerful enough for “today and tomorrow’s market”.

Ultimate goal is the key word, as it means best case scenario.
In other words, there are other scenarios on the table.
So, its not definite. It can mean this console will end up running
1080p games at 30FPS, or 720p games in 3D at 60 fps.
Or perform better than expected as we dont even know
what game they are using as a base.
At any rate, Nintendo was promoting 1080p as well.
But it looks like Sony is promoting the extra horsepower for 3D, while
Nintendo is using it for the second screen on the controller.

Today's market is PS3 & 360.
Tomorrow's market is WiiU, which is the current standard.
Same philosophy of the WiiU. Powerful enough to easily get current gen ports,
and designed to handle as future games as well.
So, you can read that last line as…

to create a machine that’s powerful enough for “today's games running on the 360 and PS3, and tomorrow’s market of games that will also be running on the WiiU”

Sony and Nintendo both realize
that developers are looking at the current install bases as still being attractive to
developers.

The dev kits have “either 8Gb or 16Gb of RAM. Deduce from that what you will.”

Now if this was posted in the WiiU thread, guess how many people would be stating that the rumor actually meant Gbits.

So has anybody been able to prove that they actually meant GB?
Otherwise, this sounds like marketing talk to make facts sound better than they are.
Dev kits with 1 to 2 GB of RAM, sounds like very little.
But remember Nintendo is only using 1GB for their games.
So their Devkit would only need about 2GB.

the hard drive will be 256Gb.
Thats what they put in a MacBook if they are talking about GB.
However, it sounds like the WiiU (32GB) if you are talking Gb.

We were told that Sony’s aim with Orbis is to avoid problems involved in launching PS3 by creating something “very affordable” but that “isn’t a slouch”.

Isn't that the same for the WiiU? And affordable for game consoles has traditionally been under 299.
So Nintendo is pushing it at 350. And they know this as they even had to, for the first time, have two SKUs for their console.
And even so, they are taking a loss, probably just to give retailers
a satisfactory cut of the sale. Retailers don't push products that they cant make $$$ from.
Can Sony afford to sell at a loss? Maybe for the first year. But probably not what they experienced with the PS3.

Orbis is expected to be announced at an event “just before E3″ next year.

Sounds like Sony wants this console out in 2013 and not share the stage with MS's new box, or Nintendo's new games. They can do it if they are not making
a beastly console. And this is bolstered by the fact that they want this console to play
current gen ports next year, as developers learning curve will see hardware tapping games probably in 2014 just like the WiiU is experiencing this year.

In conclusion, you can read the article as Sony making a machine pretty much at parity with the WiiU. APU console, with 1GB of game ram, and 32GB of flash ram ready for a 2013 launch to be sold between $299-399.

To box out Microsoft?

Or…

Sony is coming out with a APU/GPU machine, with 2 to 4 GB of game ram, 256GB HD, probably will launch in 2014, to be sold at $399-499 at parity with MS's Durango.

To box out Nintendo?

Which makes more sense?

thuway

Orbis:

2-4GB of DDR4

Audio DSP

1-2GB GDDR5

2GB LDDR3

impossibru ;)

I think you read it wrong because I didn't see anything about the Arm/PowerVR being needed for running Vita/Mobile games. but if it's there for the OS & Apps why not take advantage of the fact that it's easier to port the Vita/Mobile games to run on the SOC?
Yeah, I guess it makes sense. IIRC Sony was asked (or at least was in a FAQ somewhere) if PS Mobile would come to PS3, and they said it had no plans. I'm guessing they'd just save it for the ARM cpu in the PS4. Heck.. it's going to be in there for Security IIRC anyway.

Globox_82

Banned
In conclusion, you can read the article as Sony making a machine pretty much at parity with the WiiU. APU console, with 1GB of game ram, and 32GB of flash ram ready for a 2013 launch to be sold between $299-399.

To box out Microsoft?

Or…

Sony is coming out with a APU/GPU machine, with 2 to 4 GB of game ram, 256GB HD, probably will launch in 2014, to be sold at $399-499 at parity with MS's Durango.

To box out Nintendo?

Which makes more sense?

None. You are talking nonsense. Sony already has a console that can compete with WiiU. It's called PS3. WiiU is not proper next gen leap it should be obvious to the biggest ignorant fanboy. So even if WiiU is 1.5 the power of PS3 it's nothing special, PS3 is afterall 6 years old machine. WiiU is 3 years late. So why would Sony release a console that has basically minimal leap over PS3 just to compete with Nintendo? Makes no sense what so ever.

PS4 is hitting in the fall of 2013 or very early 2014. I am accepting 1 month ban if that is not the case.

Logic says it will be very powerful compared to PS3 it has to be to make sense. How can they show U4 or GOW4 if it looks like slighty better U3/GOW3? Who will buy that? No one, I won't.

Reading OP's post again:
So what is it? Final version in Jan or Summer?
Maybe the source is southern hemisphere and it's both :p

Why are they not calling it PS4?
Same reaon the Vita isn't PSP2 or the 360 isn't the XBox 2 probably

If the OP's posted this rumor in the WiiU speculation thread as a WiiU rumor, it would have fit closely with statements made during Iwata's ask about the WiiU hardware.

Not exactly how the WiiU is made, but the philosophy is similar.
Bringing the CPU and GPU as close together as possible.
It's AMD they have been pushing this fo years before anyone could have hoped to hear about a Wii sucessor

Ultimate goal is the key word, as it means best case scenario.
In other words, there are other scenarios on the table.
So, its not definite. It can mean this console will end up running
1080p games at 30FPS, or 720p games in 3D at 60 fps.
Or perform better than expected as we dont even know
what game they are using as a base.
At any rate, Nintendo was promoting 1080p as well.
But it looks like Sony is promoting the extra horsepower for 3D, while
Nintendo is using it for the second screen on the controller.

Totally, goals can change but it definetely appears that being powerful is one

Today's market is PS3 & 360.
Tomorrow's market is WiiU, which is the current standard.
Same philosophy of the WiiU. Powerful enough to easily get current gen ports,
and designed to handle as future games as well.
So, you can read that last line as…

to create a machine that’s powerful enough for “today's games running on the 360 and PS3, and tomorrow’s market of games that will also be running on the WiiU”

Sony and Nintendo both realize
that developers are looking at the current install bases as still being attractive to
developers.

Agree again although I would say there is a definite difference in their approach with Nintendo looking at current + carving their own next wave while Sony going for future proofing

Now if this was posted in the WiiU thread, guess how many people would be stating that the rumor actually meant Gbits.

Lots of people already have in this thread and in your next post you do too!

M43936784 said:
DX;So has anybody been able to prove that they actually meant GB?
Otherwise, this sounds like marketing talk to make facts sound better than they are.
Dev kits with 1 to 2 GB of RAM, sounds like very little.
But remember Nintendo is only using 1GB for their games.
So their Devkit would only need about 2GB.

It's a rumour there is no way to prove anything but just to note that the nintendo dev kit were 3 gigs iirc with 1 g disabled (the OS gig) so something newer being lower I wouldn't put much stock in especially with the associated comments

M43936784 said:
Thats what they put in a MacBook if they are talking about GB.
However, it sounds like the WiiU (32GB) if you are talking Gb.

I actually wouldn't be suprised to see a 32g low end version so whether it's 256GB or 32GB either is plausible. The Ram is imo definately talking GB though so i would assume the storage is aswell

Isn't that the same for the WiiU? And affordable for game consoles has traditionally been under 299.
So Nintendo is pushing it at 350. And they know this as they even had to, for the first time, have two SKUs for their console.
And even so, they are taking a loss, probably just to give retailers
a satisfactory cut of the sale. Retailers don't push products that they cant make $$$ from.
Can Sony afford to sell at a loss? Maybe for the first year. But probably not what they experienced with the PS3.
Nintendo has the Pad pushing up the costs alot. Any comparion to PS3 build cost is pointless, it's well documented how much of a clusterfuck that was Sony probably couldn't do that again even if they tried.

Sounds like Sony wants this console out in 2013 and not share the stage with MS's new box, or Nintendo's new games. They can do it if they are not making
a beastly console. And this is bolstered by the fact that they want this console to play
current gen ports next year, as developers learning curve will see hardware tapping games probably in 2014 just like the WiiU is experiencing this year.

Not following your logic here especially the current gen ports part, thats standard across generation swaps for big titles.

To box out Microsoft?

Or…

To box out Nintendo?

Which makes more sense?
A bit of both, it's a 2013 release trying to agrue against that is silly at this point imo. Price? who knows 350-399 low end sounds about right though. APU/GPU i think for sure and it will be at least 4G of ram

i-Lo

Reading OP's post again:

*snip*

To box out Microsoft?

Or…

To box out Nintendo?

Which makes more sense?

I... don't even...

And the number of times WiiU has been mentioned in that post... gah, do you sleep with it or something? It reads like pure propaganda and the ends with a conclusion of which half does not make any logical sense followed by a question to fuel this bizarre take further.

test_account

XP-39C²
There is no need to make a weaker console for this to be possible. A more powerful console would easily be able to play current gen ports as well.

To box out Microsoft?

Or…

To box out Nintendo?

Which makes more sense?
In my opinion, the last one makes more sense. Not necessarily to box anyone out, but Sony seems to always have had this philosophy about future proofing.

Proelite

Next generation will be a repeat of this gen in terms of technological parity between Nintendo and Sony/Microsoft.

Publishers have already started grouping Wii U with current gen platforms when talking about new releases.

A few months ago I personally thought it won't be the case, but Nintendo under-delivered.

Next generation will be a repeat of this gen in terms of technological parity between Nintendo and Sony/Microsoft.

Publishers have already started grouping Wii U with current gen platforms when talking about new releases.

A few months ago I personally thought it won't be the case, but Nintendo under-delivered.

Do you expect it to have a screen in the controller? Just trying to make sense of that vita/ PS mobile thing you said. I guess you could use a vita as a controller and just control them with that instead but I think I'd prefer them just adding a TV/out.

wiiU fans are still in denial. they'll have a year or two of decent 3rd party support before it becomes a wasteland in favor of ps4/xb3/pc.

Man

Do you think PS4/Orbis could be PS2 retrocompatible? Is it possible with this hardware specs?
It's a modern PC basically so yes, no problem.
PS3 games though: No chance in hell. Better make room in your closet for your PS3 Slim. Expect to see 1080p/60fps PS3 re-releases at some point.

Top Bottom