• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGLeaks Durango specs: x64 8-core CPU @1.6GHz, 8GB DDR3 + 32MB ESRAM, 50GB 6x BD...

Jadedx

Banned
Sure. It was reiterated to me that MS was fully behind doing everything the same like they did in the first few years of the Xbox 360 and that MS knows that is what got them a good deal of backing when the system first came out. That is the 4th or 5th time I was informed that.
I was told there is a very even split between new IP's and faithful IP's. And 3-4 big surprises.

I did not think it was possible to really fall in love with random people on the internet. I hope I'm not getting catfish'd

Karak

I am under the impression Karak knows nothing. He has failed to provide you with any sort of solid information since his initial claims.

People can take it as they will.
But one thing I won't do is randomly post something than post something different just a bit later.

People can take that as they wish.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Basically no one has solid information and to be honest this "riding your own posts" by you and Proelite because you were right once does nto fill me with confidence either.

Except thuway and Proelite are probably the ones with the most accurate info here.

Razgreez

He is massively wrong.

4xMove engines have nothing to do with Kinect. They're straight up graphical performance enhancers.

So let me get this straight;

First you say ROPs are not in the eSRAM,
Then you say the data movers are focused on improving graphical performance

The only logical explanation that i can infer then is that those data movers are specialized "ROP like" units?

derFeef

Thuway wasn't vaguely right though he has been spot on with a lot of things.

Except thuway and Proelite are probably the ones with the most accurate info here.

Then why do they ask for things thes should know? It sems really fishy to me.

fake ninja edit: And how do you know they are accurate? Because a leak has pulled their infos, maybe?
I am not disrespecting anyone here, and I don't demand exact info from insiders at all, but I am not confident anyone really knows something.

Ashes

Banned
Well going by Proelite's alpha dev config and the latest ps3 details.. er they are very similar..

bar bandwidth and ram.

edit: I mean if Microsoft pull it off. A CU or there abouts difference...

Proelite

Numbers don't lie.

http://beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1696426&postcount=262

Comments by a SCEA dev.

ERP said:
latching onto individual figures is not a useful way to understand performance differences.
OK lets say that everything else in the hardware is identical for a second, so you have a 50% performance difference, but only in ALU limited situations.
When I render shadows, I'm ROP (or rathe Z-Fill) limited, if my shaders are texture heavy, the ALU's sit idle and wait on memory, on current PC GPU's if the vertex workload is dominant, for the most part they grossly underutilize the ALU's.
So what percentage of the time do the extra ALU's actually help?
If it's 40% it's a 20% performance difference, if it's 80% it's a 40% difference I would guess it will end up being closer to the first than the second.
If 720 has more ROPs (and enough associated bandwidth) or a larger register pool and can hide more latency, then it gets more of that difference back, because it runs other portions of the frame faster.

Now I'm not suggesting it's "faster" or for that matter "slower", I'm saying it's just one aspect of a design.

thuway

I love how people think I am full of shit. There is a reason we are all dodgy about information. However, I have echoed these exact SAME specs you are all arguing about for WEEKS now. There is a reason for my confidence.

However, I am not here to bust any one's balls. I am just telling you all, Karak is full of shit. He knows nothing.

BTW- I am not a programmer, game designer, or software engineer. I am a medical student with a tie to the games industry. Some of the GAF mods and I know each other on a personal basis. People here can vouch that I am a SANE logical person who isn't trying to make people believe in some fan fiction.

No one, not ProElite, Aurthur, or I, know the ENTIRE story.

360 in 2007 really killed it and won me as a fan, especially after the superb Gears of War 1. I still remember the period where I was able to jump from Bioshock to XBLA to play Castlevania SOTN, then Mass Effect 1 and Halo 3 and eventually Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare 1 (which was an extraordinary experience at the time). I really want that experience to come back.
Its the same experience that sold me the 360. Give me the same MS and my money is yours.

derFeef

Things are changing all the time and they aren't engineers so interpreting the info they are handed isn't like comparing video card against video card.

That's true, but I am just cruios of where vgleaks/df get their data from, maybe from gaf or b3d, where those guys post?

I love how people think I am full of shit. There is a reason we are all dodgy about information. However, I have echoed these exact SAME specs you are all arguing about for WEEKS now. There is a reason for my confidence.

However, I am not here to bust any one's balls. I am just telling you all, Karak is full of shit. He knows nothing.
Or you could interpret my post as rude as well, that's oaky too.

Razgreez

I am not disrespecting anyone here, and I don't demand exact info from insiders at all, but I am not confident anyone really knows something.

I am 100% confident they, certain individuals, know what has been in these dev kits and what the final targets are and have been. No need to be suspicious

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
No one knows 100%. Everyone knows piece by piece. It's a puzzle, especially with the secrecy involved around the two powerhouse. Also, not everyone knows all the technicality.

The ones who would really know and understand everything are also generally the ones who don't leak, at least not directly.

A really great explanation of how these systems work would identify the person as part of a decidedly small group of people.

Throwing a few tidbits through someone you know wouldn't.

Btw, if someone can tell me what an ALU in the 360 was, that'll be really helpful.

I was under the impression that the 360 GPU had 3 ALUs.

The 360 had 3 arrays of 16 unified shaders = 48 shaders.
It actually had 64 but 1 block was disabled. (at least early on to my knowledge)

Because Xenos is so custom, I think it hard to convert one of those ALU's over to something modern on the PC side. They don't match up exactly especially once you factor in things like the EDRAM and the functions it performed. It gets muddy in my opinion.

Durante

I think both Orbis and Durango's GPU are customized version of GCN/GCN2.

Unless they miraculously did the same things to them, they should be pretty different.
But unless they somehow did more "customization" than what happens in 2 entire GPU generations (or one of them actually customized it to be less efficient), a 50% efficiency gap just seems incredibly unlikely.

This appears to show nextbox being more powerful that PS4, doesn't it?
Just looking at the data in the OP, without additional information, does in fact show the opposite.

Master_JO

Banned
Hey Karak ,aegies and others!
I have been wondering about something that I can not get an answer to. (That is where you guys come in)

Is it possible that Microsoft could release different SKU. By different I mean hardware wise.
Think of it like a mid and high end PC. Both can run and play Crysis 3 but it different settings.

One with ultra and one with high graphic performance.

The question is: Could MS do that? is it doable? Is it possible ?

I would appreciate your answer.
Pardon my English :D

On paper Eurogamer is saying Orbis has a big advantage with the GPU but were dealing with so many unknowns that they will likely end up being very close to each other in output.

People need to stop preparing their purchasing decision around the perceived power of the system since they are likely going to be to close to call. Get excited for the games

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
What were the FLOP ratings of the 360 and PS3 GPUs btw?

I think I know the answer, but especially on the PS3 side I'd prefer to ask people who followed that more closely.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward

I would be less gutsy about Durango after this info, if anything. The number of cases where it ought to have an advantage narrowed vs what I figured previously.

Of course we don't know everything...

Durante

What were the FLOP ratings of the 360 and PS3 GPUs btw?

I think I know the answer, but especially on the PS3 side I'd prefer to ask people who followed that more closely.
Xenos was 240 GFLOPS.
RSX is harder to directly compare, since it's pre-unified shaders.

ProElite has to be legit, Thuway too. I don't give two shits about what some think of them, it just adds up and that's how it works.

I'm glad that there's still that hope that these system will be very much neck and neck and oriented to the core. Don't care about the naysayers!

kpjolee

It will be more clearer when full specs in terms of size, architecture, and total bandwidths are revealed.
Based on reveals so far, PS4 seems more capable. But nothing is certain at this point.

On paper Eurogamer is saying Orbis has a big advantage with the GPU but were dealing with so many unknowns that they will likely end up being very close to each other in output.

People need to stop preparing their purchasing decision around the perceived power of the system since they are likely going to be to close to call. Get excited for the games
I can believe that the Durango GPU is more advanced and efficient (GCN2 versus GCN in PS4) based on MS working with AMD on it for a lot longer but I really don't see how the Sony GPU having 50% more flops will be overcome.

Top Bottom