• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGLeaks Durango specs: x64 8-core CPU @1.6GHz, 8GB DDR3 + 32MB ESRAM, 50GB 6x BD...

CLEEK

NO, many of these games will play through strait standard DirectX emulation without any(or little) required manual work, some games will need to be recompiled by a compiler but most of the work will be done by the compiler NOT a human, yes the compiler will not be perfect but I'm betting ALLOT of the arcade game code is ALLOT more portable than you think.

This is Microsoft bread and butter were talking about here, if arcade\downloadable games are not "portable" to Xbox720 Microsoft loses ALL CREDIBILITY when it comes to downloadable content distributed via Xbox Live.

So, MS has developed an AI compiler that requires no human intervention? Awesome, I'll tell my team of .NET devs they're all fired.

I am just surprised at how much closer to the wii u this is than what I was expecting.
2496333-2494342_oh_wait_youre_serious_let_me_laugh_even_harder.jpg

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Is it not unusual that this ESRAM has (much?) lower bandwidth than typical GDDR5 used today? I thought the point of embedded memory like this was to be crazy fast, far faster than any other memory type can be.

CLEEK

Is it not unusual that this ESRAM has (much?) lower bandwidth than typical GDDR5 used today? I thought the point of embedded memory like this was to be crazy fast, far faster than any other memory type can be.

Yeah, it seems crazy slow compared to normal embedded RAM. From memory, the eDRAM in the 360 was ~250BG/s.

Cartman86

Banned
I don't mean to brag. Who am I kidding after failing to get friends I argue with to see the usefulness of this tech I kind of do :) Anyways i've been calling HDMI pass-through for a while as in my mind if you want to sell stuff to the average person through your box it can't be on some separate TV input that they will never (or rarely) go to. It will turn into the Wii. So you either turn the console into a DVR itself and never use your old cable box or overlay the Xbox on top of the cable box like this might be doing. Hopefully that is it what its for.

Anyways here is my insanity.

2/19/12
3/03/12
3/26/12
6/03/12
9/15/12
Ignoring the used game part for a second the point Jaffe made about next gen consoles was really smart. They need to be always on devices. In addition to that Microsoft and Sony need to make their next consoles be HDMI pass-through devices. So far I think only Google TV is doing it, but if these platform holders can get their apps/marketplace interface as a part of your average TV viewing instead of being on a totally separate input that you have to actively decide to view they would stand to make a lot more money. This would be especially smart if they could do it before Roku, Apple TV and everyone else figures that out.

Boom!

tinfoilhatman

all of my posts are my avatar
So, MS has developed an AI compiler that requires no human intervention? Awesome, I'll tell my team of .NET devs they're all fired.

Where did I say NO human intervention, it should be MUCH less than Xbox1 to 360 is all I"m saying...........was every single game that works in MAME or any software emulator re-written from the ground up, no of course not and thats using pure brute force CPU....Microsoft has the benefit of GPU<>GPU portability and DirectX commonalities\tools.

I'm talking about the portability of the existing code , of course if your going from non-managed non Microsoft native code to MS managed code it's not that simple but do you really think no one at Microsoft saw this issue coming down the road and planned for it?

Again I'm not an expert but if downloadable Live games are not compatible with 720 Microsoft looses ALL CREDIBILITY in this area and I just don't see that happening.

Jadedx

Banned
Yes, this would most likely be what they want to do.

Then there is no need for super high memory bandwidth for the main memory. Ps4's 192GBs will be mostly used for buffers and post while the 720's esram and DMEs will take care of that freeing up the ddr3 to be used for only gaming/graphics.

oldergamer

There has been a ton of talk about the CPU, 8 AMD Jaguar cores, very power efficient and run 2 threads each.

There's no way these are jaguar cores. AMD is not permitted to license x86 tech to be used in custom chips and we know MS is making custom chips from all the previous info leaks.

I think Durango should go with 16GB of DDR1, and 1mb of the up-coming GDDR6, thus transforming the system to 16GB of 500 GB/s ram.

Am I doing it right?

Or maybe it should go with 512 MB of ESRAM and nothing more. I mean, imagine the damn bandwidth on that thing!!!!!!

i-Lo

Care to explain the "4x DME" does it mean effective performance of 1.2TF x 4?

To everything. In GPUs and CPUs the cores contain the components that do the work. The memory remains the memory no matter where it's situated

True. I tried to grasp the concept as ES/ED ram providing room for these "effects" to be shown off akin to an overlay for the final render as it is presented on the screen (almost like two different streams of visual streams coalescing into one frame of visual information). I would assume that these effects are fast, flexible yet pretty taxing on the main memory. Am I incorrect in my assumption? Kindly make necessary rectification to my post so that I may learn more and correct my faulty assumptions.

Ryoku

Shit. I'm sitting here only now realizing the effects of the split memory pool in Durango. Fuck, I'm stupid D:
The 170GB/s is just what the GPU is able to be fed at peak bandwidth. Not that actual data will be transferred at that speed, which is actually separate (one pool @100GB/s, and a separate pool @68GB/s).

At least the SRAM isn't limited like the DRAM was in the Xbox360.

This is also something Im wondering. One thing Sram is good for is low latency read/write and pure random access. I guess 102GB/s will be able to pass through the entire memory dozens of times per frame so its enough?

Razgreez

I know this is the Durango thread but i can only see one way sony could remain relevant feature wise.

They'd require the current rumored specs

plus

1237486275465.jpg

plus

Cell-Processor.jpg

In an integrated box at $499

Jadedx

Banned
So the Orbit has a stronger GPU? I thought MS was going with 8800 or whatevers next from AMD.

We don't know how custom the Durango GPU so don't go by raw numbers or you will be wrong. It's just like when the Xenos and the RSX came out and everyone was saying that the RSX was more powerful because it could do more GFlops; the Xenos turned out to be a much much better gpu but the cell helped it a lot.

eso76

Joking aside, but it would be technically possible for MS to redirect you to their own adverts during an ad break. That would lead to some fun litigation.

It would technically be possible to make small ad-banners pop up anytime during the movie, no ?
Although I hope it's illegal

Razgreez

This is also something Im wondering. One thing Sram is good for is low latency read/write and pure random access. I guess 102GB/s will be able to pass through the entire memory dozens of times per frame so its enough?

I'm guessing the eSRAM sits in a bus linked to the DDR3, GPU and DMEs (that northbridge in the diagram) as opposed to the way it was setup on the 360. Perhaps the multi way access inhibits the bandwidth. Pure speculation though

Edit:

Well, the Xbox360 eDRAM had 256GB/sec. of internal bandwidth between ROPS and eDRAM but only 32GB/sec. of external bandwidth to the parent die. Thus, I think that the 102GB/sec. spec is probably the external bandwidth, not the internal one.

Yeah i completely forgot about it being the external bandwidth even though we've been over that several times before

True. I tried to grasp the concept as ES/ED ram providing room for these "effects" to be shown off akin to an overlay for the final render as it is presented on the screen (almost like two different streams of visual streams coalescing into one frame of visual information). I would assume that these effects are fast, flexible yet pretty taxing on the main memory. Am I incorrect in my assumption? Kindly make necessary rectification to my post so that I may learn more and correct my faulty assumptions.

You're correct as far as i can tell. The ROPs usually do the actual blending or coalescing as you put it and main memory is way to slow to allow these affects to be added to the entire framebuffer usually

Boss Man

It would technically be possible to make small ad-banners pop up anytime during the movie, no ?
Although I hope it's illegal
Only $5 more a month and you can get Xbox Live Platinum&#8482; which removes the Xbox ads that pop up in the middle of the movie that you got at Redbox. A great value, it's all about giving the user choices.

delta25

Banned
Hate to beat a dead horse but all this talk about clock speeds not necessarily meaning a whole lot in terms of performance, would this not be the same for the Wii U's low CPU clock speed?

Yeah, it seems crazy slow compared to normal embedded RAM. From memory, the eDRAM in the 360 was ~250BG/s.

Well, the Xbox360 eDRAM had 256GB/sec. of internal bandwidth between ROPS and eDRAM but only 32GB/sec. of external bandwidth to the parent die. Thus, I think that the 102GB/sec. spec is probably the external bandwidth, not the internal one.

Jadedx

Banned
Only $5 more a month and you can get Xbox Live Platinum™ which removes the Xbox ads that pop up in the middle of the movie that you got at Redbox. A great value, it's all about giving the user choices.

You guys are seriously Jaded over some ads on the Dashboard that you don't even have to look at. Just fucking click play game.

Only $5 more a month and you can get Xbox Live Platinum&#8482; which removes the Xbox ads that pop up in the middle of the movie that you got at Redbox. A great value, it's all about giving the user choices.

Don't overreact, platinum is pretty much always on sale and those 5 bucks a month wouldn't even buy you a coffee at starbucks.

I had this exact reaction from someone on gaf a year back or so

edit: wow, it only took one post for someone to try and rationalise it:D

Xtars

Well as many others have said this have been pretty much what we all expected it to be from the earlier leaks and speculation.

However I'm still interested to see the difference in games a few years down the line compared to Durango and Orbis with the 8Gb DDR3 vs the 4Gb GDDR5. but so far it feels like the Durango is made to be an all out solution for your living room with tonnes of apps and services running on it while the Orbis will be more of a pure gaming machine with some nicely integrated media features but nothing over the top.

But the HDMI in port is quite interesting in Durangos case. I think you might be able to plug in an HDMI from your Windows 8 PC and run the Metro interface directly on the TV with the Durango controller and in that way access all your PC features from a nice couch tv perspective.

Top Bottom