• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGleaks: Orbis Unveiled! [Updated]

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
And you call yourself the Amiga brotherhood? Hang your coat up in shame :p

Durango would be the Amiga, with the blitter and DMA engines. Orbis would be the ST with slightly better overall CPU power due to the CUs

Look at the endgame. Amiga's custom chips and multitasking OS lead the industry at the time. I do know what I'm talking about. I worked for Commodore Amiga 86-91.

jett

D-Member
Do you peeps think Orbis/Durango will support 120fps? Nevermind jokes about how devs can barely make games run at 30fps. :p I mean for downloadable titles, or maybe uprezzed ports. Something like Super Stardust would be eyegasmic in that framerate.

My sources are laughing at all of you and tell me that Versus XIII is exclusive to the Ouya.

Do you peeps think Orbis/Durango will support 120fps? Nevermind jokes about how devs can barely make games run at 30fps. :p I mean for downloadable titles, or maybe uprezzed ports. Something like Super Stardust would be eyegasmic in that framerate.

Isn't SSHD sort of doing 120fps 720p for the 3D mode?

Also, do you know if SSM and Sucker Punch are busy with new IPs?

SSM's new IP appears to be open-world:

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/04/28/sony-santa-monica-hiring-devs-with-open-world-and-shooter-experi/

there's no reason for that, MS is getting roughly 170gb/s on their bandwith to the ps3 180gb/s, and they have more ram, and lower latency.

Really? Maybe I missed something but that's the first I'm reading of bandwidth being that close. Can someone verify?

FirewalkR

Look at the endgame. Amiga's custom chips and multitasking OS lead the industry at the time. I do know what I'm talking about. I worked for Commodore Amiga 87-92.

Then you participated in the legend of the greatest gaming machine of all time. *bows*

DieH@rd

Banned
Did this end up being poorly worded (x4) or is this the actual number? I missed the past ~5 hours and I wanna know what's going on and why we're still talking about stuff like "Secret Sauce" and "Versus XIII." What's the deal with these four CUs?

Yes, rops and textures units are 4x of those numbers [32 rops, 72 texure units, 56Gigatexels/s [just above 7850]].

14 CU's are ordinary and governed by traditional rendering pipeline. Additional 4 are specialized and can be accessed directly by the developers for optimized GPGPU work or general rendering [still not clear if their rendering capabilities are gimped].

You know all this pie in the sky stuff got me wondering about what would shock me the most. Can you guys imagine if Sony somehow secretly bought Crash Bandicoot and were working on a all new open world platformer with him.

I would probably pass out.

THE:MILKMAN

I don't see why not. And doesn't Super Stardust effectively run at 720P/120 in 2D?

FourMyle

FFvXIII and TLG launch titles would piss a fuck load of people off, as well as make lots of people jump ship to the Orbis early on.

Bsigg12

No doubt that they will be able to, but at lower res. I'm still thinking the launch titles will be 30fps at 1080p for each system then we'll see most things move to 60fps as the generation progresses. No doubt these are planned to have a 10 year life cycle again so I'm not too worried about how performance is on games in the first 6 months. It's how the Wii U is right now. It's on a grace period while they continue to learn what the system can do, post launch +6 months is when I think developers have had enough time to start exploiting certain capabilities.

and twilight princess was designed with the gc in mind and it released on the wii with functional motion controls. Games switch engines too. And I like how quickly your "contacts" respond to laugh at you. It's like they have nothing to do but answer your questions.

thuway's contacts are always online, 24/7. he writes up a pm here in neogaf and they promptly respond.

Drencrom

120fps is a waste at this point, most tv sets don't support 120hz and the majority can't probably tell the difference between constant 60fps and 120fps anyway.

I think we already knew that GG was working on a new game did we not?

For years now. From December 2010:

According to nextgn.com, Guerilla Games have given hints as to what their next game will be about via their job listings. What we do know is that it is aiming for a AAA first-person shooter but with a twist. Perhaps we are reading to deeply into the job descriptions, but they all seem to be following a common theme.

Phrases such as:
“Looking for a Dumbledore amongst FX Artists”
“sage-like leaders”
“FX wizards”
“Like a modern day Daedalus”
“monsters and ensnare the heroes”
“heroic concept artists spoken of in legend”
“little like a god”

[still not clear if their rendering capabilities are gimped].

Someone on B3D said those 4 CU could be specially optimized for certain non-graphics work. And if that is the case, it would explain why they're "not as good" for graphics work, as the regular CUs in the GPU. But it could just be due to them not be under the "scheduler", so devs have to "handhold" those CUs more if they want to use them for rendering, and they are actually the same as the 14 in the GPU. I guess nobody really know yet.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Look at the endgame. Amiga's custom chips and multitasking OS lead the industry at the time. I do know what I'm talking about. I worked for Commodore Amiga 86-91.

But isn't that closer to where MS are right now?

Anyway, it was a sarky post and the Amiga was better anyway, even if I did covet my friends FA-18 interceptor for being 7% faster..

LuuKyK

here you go, luminous being used in v13

http://andriasang.com/comy9x/

Versus XIII has its own action game-oriented engine. The lightning tech from Luminous is being coupled with this for Versus XIII.

Nomura describes Luminous as an excellent engine that can be used with any game. The Versus XIII engine, on the other hand, is strong in specific areas, but is not a general purpose engine.

Its not being used as the main engine, just for handling lighting.

Didn't that happen with Fox Engine and Ground Zeroes? Making the game while building/optimizing the engine?

Im not following the development of the Fox Engine so I really cant answer that. :/

Its not being used as the main engine, just for handling lighting.

Im not following the development of the Fox Engine so I really cant answer that.
thats what i said.....but this news is old. nomura is a graphics whore, i am betting its an orbis/durango game now

DieH@rd

Banned
Didn't that happen with Fox Engine and Ground Zeroes? Making the game while building/optimizing the engine?

For years we heard about "Project Ogre" and "Fox Engine". Ground Zeroes was pure surprise [Kojima is adamant that GZ is not Project Ogre].

onQ123

This is probably not as big a brainwave as I think it is, but an 8 core processor surely makes PS3 BC more likely. One (or two) cores can pretend to be the PPU, and the other six could take on the jobs of the SPUs. Right? There'd still be some work required to handle the switch from Nvidia graphics to AMD graphics, but we know that can be achieved at least partially (from the Xbox to Xbox 360 transition).

8 cores makes me much more optimistic that this thing could handle cell code. Any technical wizards care to chip in on that?

I think people are going the wrong way about figuring out how PS4 can emulate the PS3.

don't look at it as can the PS4 emulate the PS3 hardware, but look at it as can the PS4 make the PS3 software emulate PS4 software?

& my thinking is yes.

in my head if the PS4 can see the PS3 software as PS4 software the Jaguar cores will be good enough for the PPU codes , the 4 CU's should have enough compute power to run the codes that used to be handled by the SPE's & the 1.4TFLOPS of the GPU power will make lite work of running the graphical tasks that was done on RSX.

LuuKyK

Reread his original post.

thats what i said.....but this news is old. nomura is a graphics whore, i am betting its an orbis/durango game now

Ok, but how would that point to Versus being now a next gen game? Just because part of the luminous engine was added to the main one doesnt really mean much imo. Adding lighting is far from being the same to changing everything to something new. It would probably be a lot harder.

An open world game by Santa Monica would be god tier reveal for me
shutup-and-take-my-money.jpeg

Ok, but how would that point to Versus being now a next gen game? Just because part of the luminous engine was added to the main one doesnt really mean much imo. Adding lighting is far from being the same to changing everything to something new. It would probably be a lot harder.

see what rare did with kameo and pdz...both were xbox games originally....they wont have to change everything. just add dx11 shaders, increase resolution and frame rate

MaulerX

SSM's new IP appears to be open-world:

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/04/28/sony-santa-monica-hiring-devs-with-open-world-and-shooter-experi/

Really? Maybe I missed something but that's the first I'm reading of bandwidth being that close. Can someone verify?

The vgleaks Durango leak said: http://www.vgleaks.com/world-exclusive-durango-unveiled-2/

"from the GPU’s perspective the bandwidths of system memory and ESRAM are parallel providing combined peak bandwidth of 170 GB/sec"

Then, Eurogamer commented on the vgleaks Durango leak and said: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/df-hardware-next-gen-xbox-specs-leak

"In the case of Durango, the CPU is married up with 8GB of DDR3 memory, working in concert with 32MB of what is dubbed "ESRAM" - fast work RAM connected directly to the GPU. The two pools of memory operate in parallel, and while we haven't confirmed overall bandwidth, the leak's 170GB/s throughput certainly seems plausible."

And if I'm not mistaken someone on B3D (sorry no link) also said it's plausible. That none of those sites (major source of our leaks) are disputing this is telling. We definitely need more detailed info on Durango.

About the special GPGPU CUs,I think a "minor boost" could mean it performs a little better over a normal CUs graphics performance thanks to the extra ALU.

Top Bottom