• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGleaks: Orbis Unveiled! [Updated]

Tripolygon

Banned
In my head, that PS logo is digital monochrome OLED display that automatically rotates the logo when you stand or lay the console flat.
i4EKccS.png

That console design is OK for nostalgia, (which would be an interesting but unlikely approach from Sony) but this packaging:

idAAlppmjtX6U.jpg

...doesn't make sense at all. That package would never work, unless Sony wants to undercut their profits shipping lots of boxed air from China. Expect the box to be as small as possible to carry the unit safely. Apple saved a ton of money switching to slim packaging. Everybody else noticed too. Retailers also like it smaller these days.

Plus, I don't think it'll ever be called "PSFour," even when the slim releases years from now. And that typeface...ugh.

There is something special about that original PS2 design that just brings back a lot of memories. Junior year of college and it was the first console I bought at launch.

JJD

I've been talking a lot with Richard Leadbetter about next gen in general. We discussed Flash storage for a bit and I said I think we'd see it. He told me to keep an eye out for his review, I totally forgot about it until today (published 2 days ago).

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/df-hardware-playstation-3-12gb-super-slim-review

This is something I've suggested for some time now.

There are some comparison videos of the 12g, 250g, 500g, and SSD installs and deletes.
Conclusion? Games that deal with countless small files run much better on the 12g than the HDDs. For example, GT5 load times were cut by 25+ seconds for loading tracks, and install was significantly shorter than a non-flash PS3. The deletion rate of the 12g flash is extremely slow though, and they showed RAGE as an example of a game that seemed to cause performance issues because the flash can't get new data in fast enough because it cant clear the old data out, but once they popped in the hard drive, the issue was resolved completely.

What if they take a 16g flash and use the zlib decompressor to handle large "bin" type files that dump thousands of files into the cache? Richard also said they can do multiple disc reads at once so you might be able to get a multiple data reads going on from both the flash and hdd. Keep in mind the 12g PS3 completely disables the flash once a HDD is installed, so you don't see the benefit of the flash and the HDD at the same time. Going forward, if a flash is included from the start, they can design optimizations with it instead of ignoring it when the HDD is being used.

Retrofitting it in might be difficult, but as I said above, going forward with it standard would be easy to implement.

I also thought this was interesting.

Anyway... Yep.

Wow! Great post!

Very interesting indeed! Thanks for the info.

Piggus

In my head, that PS logo is digital monochrome OLED display that automatically rotates the logo when you stand or lay the console flat.
http://i.imgur.com/i4EKccS.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

That would be awesome, and not just for the logo. It could display a symbol to indicate a problem, new messages (like on Vita) etc.

spwolf

What if they take a 16g flash and use the zlib decompressor to handle large "bin" type files that dump thousands of files into the cache? Richard also said they can do multiple disc reads at once so you might be able to get a multiple data reads going on from both the flash and hdd. Keep in mind the 12g PS3 completely disables the flash once a HDD is installed, so you don't see the benefit of the flash and the HDD at the same time. Going forward, if a flash is included from the start, they can design optimizations with it instead of ignoring it when the HDD is being used.

there will certainly be some cache but people need to realize that flash is not SSD and that SSD is not coming.

as to hardware deflate decompressor, main point of that would be to speed access to files while they are all compressed together... so speeding data usage directly from HDD and BD, once you offload them to cache you lose any benefit of your deflate hardware. It allows for no installs and faster load times and if you try to use cache instead of HDD and BD, you lose those benefits.

i think main point of cache will be something like what happens on Vita, for multitasking and OS usage.

Where is this from? But I am not surprised considering its MS that depends mostly on 3rd party devs for exclusives and timed-exclusives...heck why not use that money when you have tons of it

Posted by someone on one of the other on-going next-gen threads. Sorry, can't remember which one right now and I don't have the time to check.

LuuKyK

I don't know if this is true, but unless one of those titles is Madden, Call of Duty, FIFA, or GTA then it is really irrelevant.

The guy who said, mentioned is not one of the bigs. Im betting its things like Dance Central, the Crytek game, something new from Capcom/Activision? MS really need some new IPs so that would make sense.

beast786

I don't know if this is true, but unless one of those titles is Madden, Call of Duty, FIFA, or GTA then it is really irrelevant.

Hmm I wonder what other 4 , 3rd party exclusives are?

I keed

I am a big fan of Sony franchise, so ill be day 1 regardless , unless GT / uncharted and god of war goes 3rd party

A.R.K

Posted by someone on one of the other on-going next-gen threads. Sorry, can't remember which one right now and I don't have the time to check.

ok cool...

I hate 3rd party exclusives/timed exclusives :| ... exclusives should be limited to 1st and 2nd party ... MS is the worst offender of this abuse

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
To this day is still irks me/makes me giggle that PS2 press photos had the blue CDs upside down.

there will certainly be some cache but people need to realize that flash is not SSD and that SSD is not coming.

as to hardware deflate decompressor, main point of that would be to speed access to files while they are all compressed together... so speeding data usage directly from HDD and BD, once you offload them to cache you lose any benefit of your deflate hardware. It allows for no installs and faster load times and if you try to use cache instead of HDD and BD, you lose those benefits.

i think main point of cache will be something like what happens on Vita, for multitasking and OS usage.

SSD and Flash are essentially the same. SSD just comes with a controller.

Anyway, I think we'll see 16GB flash. At least half for OS (would be more than enough) and half for data caching. I also think we'll see simultaneous accesses of both HDD and flash at the same time.

Only people I trust right now are Kagari,Brucelee,and Elios.

Way to many so call insiders popping up.

Maybe they want their posts to become news articles on the IGN front page.

EDIT:

Okay, I also work in the dev side of the industry but mainly in mobile/downloadable games. I do get emails from people from MS sometimes but they're from people in the WP8 department. I'm a little tempted to ask them re: durango but they obviously won't answer and/or they probably don't even know anyway lol.

beast786

I havn't paid too much attention to the other 2 but Kagari has always seemed to be a true "insider".

she is also a great mod, I have never seen her be an ass to anyone. The other mod, Nikolak is also super nice and is so active in getting info, organizing and always involved in discussion without ever being an ass.

Sporran

SSD write degradations have improved for decades. You only have to look at how awful they were for the original HP Omnibook. For a few years already, SLC tech has already had write lifetimes good enough, considering the expected useful lives of the devices. MLC tech is getting close. Also, block size plays a role in the longevity. You could conceive of a silicon memory with two different block sizes, so that a small block size could be made available for the more write demanding workloads. Flushing the whole memory when launching a new game is not demanding at all. The tech is long since way beyond that.

This is true, but they still take a massive penalty once encrypted. Unless Sony plans to leave the volume open :)

Odrion

Banned
I'd rather see design mockups with a good estimated guess at how big the hardware might be.

We could get another grill.

Jack_AG

Banned
Do you think that we will see the entire specs in the PS Meeting?

I do not believe so. I think we will be shown the unit and the controller (despite what others suggest) along with several games in a "collage" of sorts, just videos. Basic specs, perhaps, but nothing detailed. I expect full disclosure at E3 with hands-on.

As for the media/investors - they will obviously see more and get hit with a good old fashioned NDA.

Odrion

Banned
By size of the hardware I mean uh, everything inside of it. You can do mockups that look as nice and slim as possible, but c'mon now.

This thing is probably going to look huuuuuuuuuuuuuuge.

nib95

Banned
I would LOVE to see a comeback of the PS2 design. The image I linked earlier was a mockup of the alleged design of the console in the teaser trailer:

Teaser:

Mockup:

Not the best drawing but I hope they bring on a PS2 era redesign.

Hot if true. I don't like organic shapes on tech stuff. I like linear, ridged, modern and clean.

rdrr gnr

Soooo... with these specs can Agni's Philosophy run on this equipment at 60 frames and 720p resolution, or what?
People have argued you'll get visuals like that with some trade-offs. You'll probably take a hit in resolution, frames, and anti-aliasing. We'll know soon enough.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
If Agni can run on PS4 at 720p and 60 fps, I'm good with that. If it can run at 30 fps and 1080p resolution, I'm also good with that. But if it can only do 30 fps and 720p... I'm gonna be very fucking disappointed. =/

Wasn't the tech demo running at 60fps, 1080p and 8xMSAA? I'd probably say yes, but is 60fps a must for this game?.
For cutscenes? Almost definitely.

RibMan

Decent concept, but a tad too simplistic and obvious.

The very last thing Sony should be doing is creating a complicated and needlessly abstract console design.

Simplicity should be one of the core design principles behind the PS4; Sony achieved it with the PSone and slimline PS2, so they can certainly do it again.

If Agni can run on PS4 at 720p and 60 fps, I'm good with that. If it can run at 30 fps and 1080p resolution, I'm also good with that. But if it can only do 30 fps and 720p... I'm gonna be very fucking disappointed. =/

For cutscenes? Almost definitely.

I wouldn't mind 60fps for gameplay, and 30fps for cutscenes.

Kingles

Neo Member
With the specs being revealed for Orbis. I have a question if anyone could answer it in the know? Will Orbis be able to run Battlefield3/4 with 64 players on a server? This gen definitely suffers with the lesser player count online. Thanks in advance.

Top Bottom