• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGLeaks rumor: Durango CPU Overview

onQ123

Yeah. That would be shitty beyond comprehension. I cannot believe this to be true.

Imagine a new Xbox owner showing his new system off to friends:

[XBox Owner] "Check out the Kinnect 2.0 control. I can control my entire experience with voice or gesture commands..."

(Swipes around the interface all Minority Report style.

[Friend] "Wow! It's like the future!"

[XBox Owner] "...now we'll just pop in the new Game of Thrones Blu-ray..."

(Starts gesturing madly. Nothing happens.)

[XBox Owner] "...huh..."

(More crazy gesturing, now becoming frantic.)

[Friend] "Is it broken?"

[XBox Owner] "...Oh, I must have to use the VOICE commands...THAT's what it is.

XBox...play Blu-ray disk!"

(No response)

[XBox Owner] "XBox...play Blu-ray disk!"

[XBox] "I'm sorry. I can't do that, Dave."

Netflix

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her

Absolutely shit in the UK, terrible selection, give me BR over Netflix any day of the week.

(At least until the library is sorted out and worth a damn)

MaulerX

Yeah. That would be shitty beyond comprehension. I cannot believe this to be true.

Imagine a new Xbox owner showing his new system off to friends:

[XBox Owner] "Check out the Kinnect 2.0 control. I can control my entire experience with voice or gesture commands..."

(Swipes around the interface all Minority Report style.

[Friend] "Wow! It's like the future!"

[XBox Owner] "...now we'll just pop in the new Game of Thrones Blu-ray..."

(Starts gesturing madly. Nothing happens.)

[XBox Owner] "...huh..."

(More crazy gesturing, now becoming frantic.)

[Friend] "Is it broken?"

[XBox Owner] "...Oh, I must have to use the VOICE commands...THAT's what it is.

XBox...play Blu-ray disk!"

(No response)

[XBox Owner] "XBox...play Blu-ray disk!"

[XBox] "I'm sorry. I can't do that, Dave."

Well Dave would have to be a moron for putting in a Blu-ray of Game Of Thrones in front of his friend without knowing that it couldn't play.

"These aren't final. Nothing is final. They're all rumors. These could change."

Well duh. Everybody knows that.

But all these posts simply read like:
"I hope these aren't the final specs. Please, please, please, please change. Needs moar power. Must beat PlayStation."

spwolf

Let's see...what would I want to watch the latest Hollywood spectacular on... a 6 Mb/s Netflix stream, or a Blu-ray that averages around 36Mb/s?

IMO, no way MS doesn't have Blu-ray built in. Not buying this rumor at all.

doesnt seem to be right... that "3x" comment is certainly wrong too.

MaulerX

Xbox has HBO Go.

It's also on Xbox Video. Which makes me wonder, since Xbox Video gets it's movies day and date, and with the rumored always online, maybe when you put a Blu-ray it'll just auto stream as a way of getting around not paying royalties.

I still think it'll have it though.

Reiko

Banned

"I hope these aren't the final specs. Please, please, please, please change. Needs moar power. Must beat PlayStation."

Which is funny because on the Sony side there are a vocal minority that hopes the PS4 has the edge in everything. So they are hoping for the current specs to be a lock.

ascii42

It's also on Xbox Video. Which makes me wonder, since Xbox Video gets it's movies day and date, and with the rumored always online, maybe when you put a Blu-ray it'll just auto stream as a way of getting around not paying royalties.

I still think it'll have it though.

That would be kind of crappy, as part of the point of getting Blu-Rays (beyond better video and sound) is bonus features.

Seems about right, no one was really wishing for better orbis specs when vgleaks and edge put them out this year, but there has been clamoring for a last minute change in durango specs recently, especially after the 8GB of ram.

Reiko

Banned
Seems about right, no one was really wishing for better orbis specs when vgleaks and edge put them out this year, but there has been clamoring for a last minute change in durango specs recently, especially after the 8GB of ram.

Mainly because the specs for PS4 was already good enough for a next gen console. 8GB GDDR5 was icing on the cake.

Seems about right, no one was really wishing for better orbis specs when vgleaks and edge put them out this year, but there has been clamoring for a last minute change in durango specs recently especially after the 8GB of ram.

The audacity of people to want good hardware!

This is just a silly debate full of strawmen. While we're making stuff up, let me just make the blanket assumption that there are some people here that hope that the Xbox is underpowered compared to the PS4.

Which is funny because on the Sony side there are a vocal minority that hopes the PS4 has the edge in everything. So they are hoping for the current specs to be a lock.
The reality of the situation is these are likely specs, based on VGLeaks history. Corroborated by other sources as well.

The reality of the situation is that should these specs eventuate, it will be slightly inferior to Sony's offering.

As noted above, no one was clamoring for improvements to Sony's machine prior to the reveal. The increase in RAM was a pleasant surprise. But even without it they put forward a capable next-gen machine. Just as Microsoft's machine is in itself a capable next-gen machine should these specs eventuate.

Mainly because the specs for PS4 was already good enough for a next gen console. 8GB GDDR5 was icing on the cake.
Is Durango not "good enough" with the current leaked specs? Why? Simply because it wouldn't match the PS4, pound for pound?

MaulerX

When vgleaks and Edge released Orbis specs, they were released with the notion that they were better than Durango. So no, people weren't wishing for better specs, but perhaps wishing that Durango specs remain the same.

USC-fan

Banned

I think a lot of that goes back to PS3 just having terrible game breaking-bugged ports. Skyrim is a perfect example of this. PS4 will have to be almost a step above the x720 just to get the x720 ports to run well.

Unless ps4 is the lead platform which doesnt seen very likely with US devs.

It has nothing to do with beating the Playstation. As I've said many times, the concept of "winning and losing" is stupid fanboy shit, and isn't what these companies care about. They only care about reaching their goals, and their goals are likely quite different.

When people want more, it's just because consumers ALWAYS want more. I want the Xbox to have a Blu-ray so I can have it in my bedroom, and the PS4 in the living room and have a all-in-one media box in both rooms as a result. If it costs an extra $20 to pay for the Blu-ray license, I'm cool with that. I just don't want it to not be an option.

I think a lot of that goes back to PS3 just having terrible game breaking-bugged ports. Skyrim is a perfect example of this. PS4 will have to be almost a step above the x720 just to get the x720 ports to run well.

Unless ps4 is the lead platform which doesnt seen very likely with US devs.

situation is totally different this time. Both platforms and the PC are all x86 based platforms, so by and large which one is "lead" doesn't matter- ports can be done easily, and should be able to scale effortlessly between 360, PS4, and high end PC to take advantage of the benefits of each.

It has nothing to do with beating the Playstation. As I've said many times, the concept of "winning and losing" is stupid fanboy shit, and isn't what these companies care about. They only care about reaching their goals, and their goals are likely quite different.

When people want more, it's just because consumers ALWAYS want more. I want the Xbox to have a Blu-ray so I can have it in my bedroom, and the PS4 in the living room and have a all-in-one media box in both rooms as a result. If it costs an extra $20 to pay for the Blu-ray license, I'm cool with that. I just don't want it to not be an option.
I have little doubt that had Sony revealed a 1.2 TFLOPS, etc. etc. at the PlayStation meeting, there'd be far less of this "maybe it has dual APUs" "maybe it has a special raytracer unit" nonsense. And people would be far more sated with what the leaks imply Microsoft will be offering.

It's silly grass is greener stuff, with the height of the silliness being that nothing's stopping anyone from getting the PS4 if they really value specs that much, or getting both the PS4 and Durango.

At the end of the day, if you want Halo, Forza, Fable etc. you'll get the Durango; while if you want the next Uncharted or Gran Turismo or God of War you'll get the PS4. And if you really want all of the above, you'll get both.

awa64

Banned
Yes VGleaks are proven with the PS4.

Accuracy regarding one company doesn't necessarily translate to accuracy regarding another. Even within the same industry.

Say, for example, Paul Thurott says something about Microsoft's plans? He's probably accurate, and he's staking his credibility. If he says something about Apple's plans? Maybe, maybe not, and nobody's going to hold it against him.

onQ123

I have little doubt that had Sony revealed a 1.2 TFLOPS, etc. etc. at the PlayStation meeting, there'd be far less of this "maybe it has dual APUs" "maybe it has a special raytracer unit" nonsense. And people would be far more sated with what the leaks imply Microsoft will be offering.

It's silly grass is greener stuff, with the height of the silliness being that nothing's stopping anyone from getting the PS4 if they really value specs that much, or getting both the PS4 and Durango.

At the end of the day, if you want Halo, Forza, Fable etc. you'll get the Durango; while if you want the next Uncharted or Gran Turismo or God of War you'll get the PS4. And if you really want all of the above, you'll get both.

I think there is more to both systems.

CLEEK

lol maybe when they start streaming with H.265 they'll be similar in IQ but for now, nope.

Not to mention, Netflix is available in around a dozen countries. The local contents being far, far reduced from what is available to US subscribers.

If MS are putting all their eggs in the non-gaming services basket, that's great from a US point of view. But the rest of the world is a minefield of licensing, certification and availability. Just like Nintendo have historically released a ton of Japanese only add-on services, I fear that MS are moving in the same US-only direction.

The Edge write up of last year's E3 puts it more succinctly that I could.

What felt like a third of the conference was now dedicated to what you might call the X-top-box: 360 as a streaming media hub. This was a good chance for the presenters to forget that anywhere exists beyond America and Canada, boasting of last year’s UFC app that no one else can get. 35 new content providers were announced, among then Nickelodeon and Paramount Pictures. We look forward to learning that we can’t get them either.

Then, suddenly: “Do you love hockey? Of course, right?” We don’t, as it happens, but that didn’t stop a lot of hockey from appearing on the giant screen. That’s the modern notion of choice right there.

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
What? EIGHT THOUSAND!? That's cannot be right!

There's a possibility that these are final specs, and there's also a possibility that the specs are subject to change.

Are you believing things again?

You guys are still talking about the 8000, No Blu Ray rumor?

So have you decided to sidestep the 8K/800 typo or are you still sticking to your guns? How many flips can you flop?

Is Durango not "good enough" with the current leaked specs? Why? Simply because it wouldn't match the PS4, pound for pound?

after an 8 year generation I would say that the ps4 is the "good enough" console spec wise.

The Durango went the "let's just make sure we get 3rd part games" console spec.

and the Wii U is "let's rely on a gimmick control scheme instead of actual hardware" console spec.

Pistolero

From past history with Xbox GPUs it's certainly not good enough. Everything else checks out.

Time to let go of your insane objectives : Unless the PC market crashes, a console GPU will never match high end PCs chip. Never, ever again!
I dunno. After the BF4 thread it's good to be open to anything.

anything that is reasonable, yes.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Reiko, my man...

You just need to keep expectations in check.

Expect: 8 GB DDR3 + eSRAM + 8 jaguar cores + 1.2 TF AMD APU, no special sauce.

Perhaps Microsoft will surprise us somehow and have more aggressive specs like Sony, but there's no use in really speculating or expecting it at this point. At the end of the day those specs are solid, and will produce visually impressive games.

I don't know why you are doing this to yourself man, lol.

The wait is killing me too though, I don't know why Microsoft is doing this to us. What happened to Aegis and his prediction that we'd know something soon??? Right before E3 doesn't really qualify as that....

Razgreez

Not wishing for that.

The PS4 GPU is the more acceptable ball park for next gen power.

To whom? I still find it disappointing (they could have thrown a downclocked 7970 in there) but there's no point complaining about it since i understand that efficiency is the focus

onQ123

To whom? I still find it disappointing (they could have thrown a downclocked 7970 in there) but there's no point complaining about it since i understand that efficiency is the focus

So you find a 1.2TFLOPS GPU more acceptable than a 1.8TFLOPS GPU?

because he said the PS4 GPU was the more acceptable ball park for Next Gen power.

Top Bottom