• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGLeaks rumor: Durango CPU Overview

Deuterium

If Microsoft does release with some pretty fancy specs, over and above the year-old "leaked" specs, which puts them at parity (or beyond) the power of the new PS4...the amount of butthurtz on this forum will be truly EPIC.

itsgreen

So it'll be an all-in-one entertainment device that's not quite all-in-one?

Yeah, that's not gonna happen.

MS: "Everybody can enjoy HD movies on 720 through Xbox Live. We also offer the ability to play Blu-Ray movies for those who want it. The people who want it can get a full Blu-ray player for just $20 with an easy downloadable update. That's real value. And if you don't want Blu-ray and want to enjoy the vast array of great HD content available on Marketplace you can save that $20. There is no need to spend money on stuff you don't need. We give the consumer a choice."

televator

I do suppose they could just bring HDDVD tech back from the dead as a storage medium for games... A dual layer disk was 30 Gigs. It's not 50 like Blu is but the disparity won't be as big as it was between DVD and Blu.

Cidd

If Microsoft does release with some pretty fancy specs, over and above the year-old "leaked" specs, which puts them at parity (or beyond) the power of the new PS4...the amount of butthurtz on this forum will be truly EPIC.

And if they don't?

DBT85

And what if they don't? What if they do indeed release the system we all expect from the multitude of similar rumours? You think there won't be "butthurtz" then?

And it still won't compare to the shitstorm that is E3.

So it'll be an all-in-one entertainment device that's not quite all-in-one?

Yeah, that's not gonna happen.
I guess but it seemed to me like thy always wanted to push streaming and not worry about Blu ray.

If they don't have blu ray as a spec they can still have blu ray...

To call yourself a blu ray player and carry the logo and play movies you must buy a license and stuff...
Yeah maybe not call it Blu ray? Do what Nintendo is doing?

Deuterium

And if they don't?

As pr0cs already stated...business as usual, I guess.

My statement was a hypothetical. It also was predicated on the apparent (IMHO) pro-Sony bias, here on GAF, as well as the illogical desire on the part of many here, for Microsoft to fall flat on their face.

For the life of me, I can't understand this mind-set. I want both consoles to kick-ass, and both to offer unique gaming experiences. Seems to me, that would be very healthy for the industry, and a win-win for gamers.

Melchiah

Didn't VGleaks just state, that their latest info was from this year?

Deuterium

Didn't VGleaks just state, that their latest info was from this year?

No, that is not how I interpreted it. I believe they simply stated that the original specs that they received (a year old) had not changed. That could be simply because they do not have access to new information, and it is either their belief (or a quote from some "source") claiming that the specs had not changed.

So, unless I am mistaken -- and please, someone, correct me if I am wrong -- they have not received any newer spec. documents showing a newer date, even if the specs remained unchanged.

It is a subtle, but key difference in how VGleaks has responded on this matter.

Melchiah

No, that is not how I interpreted it. I believe they simply stated that the original specs that they received (a year old) had not changed. That could be simply because they do not have access to new information, and it is either their belief (or a quote from some "source") claiming that the specs had not changed.

So, unless I am mistaken -- and please, someone, correct me if I am wrong -- they have not received any newer spec. documents showing a newer date, even if the specs remained unchanged.

I just read '2013', and left it at that. I don't think there's more than one way to interpret it. Unless of course you want there to be. ;)

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her

Why are you "interpreting" anything? - they were asked a very specific question, twice, you can go check it if you like, but here, let me help you:

Rhodington said:
Vgleaks, answer this: Why are you posting copy and paste articles from a 1 year old PDF document??
At least have the decency to put a disclaimer and acknowledge that things might have (most probably) changed.
vgleaks said:
Sorry, it's not one year old info ;)
Rhodington said:
Well then, 10 month old? In other words, how old is the info and can we expect/not expect changes? How old the info is is detrimental to it's purported accuracy.
vgleaks said:

There's little to interpret, they are asked why they are copying 1 year old documents and reply that it is NOT one year old info, they are then asked to clarify how old the info is and then say it is from 2013.

That leaves very little room for "interpretation".

neobiz

The next Xbox not being able to play Blu-ray movies would be a mistake on Microsoft's part.

Not really sure how it would be a mistake if they really are trying to be an all-in-one solution to the living room (for the customer, I don't give a damn if it doesn't make sense for their bottom line). That said I don't think they will provide BR playback, Media Center 7 doesn't provide BR playback natively and Media Center 8 doesn't provide dvd out of the box and BR not at all natively.

Not really sure how it would be a mistake if they really are trying to be an all-in-one solution to the living room (for the customer, I don't give a damn if it doesn't make sense for their bottom line). That said I don't think they will provide BR playback, Media Center 7 doesn't provide BR playback natively and Media Center 8 doesn't provide dvd out of the box and BR not at all natively.

there's the problem.

Can't really say all in one solution if you can't play blu rays.

itsgreen

there's the problem.

Can't really say all in one solution if you can't play blu rays.

If MS sells:

a) A 720 w/ Blu-ray movie support for $419
or
b) A 720 w/o Blu-ray movie support for $399 but with the option to buy an update that enables Blu-ray movie support for $20

What's the difference?

(net cost for MS is probably $5 license fees, but they like a margin on everything, so $20 is a valid option and fair price, but that's my opinion)

Deuterium

Why are you "interpreting" anything? - they were asked a very specific question, twice, you can go check it if you like, but here, let me help you:

There's little to interpret, they are asked why they are copying 1 year old documents and reply that it is NOT one year old info, they are then asked to clarify how old the info is and then say it is from 2013.

That leaves very little room for "interpretation".

They (VGleaks), reply with one single utterance, which I quote exactly:

"2013 ;)"

They do not provide a copy of the document, nor do they cite the actual date on the document. That is what leaves things open for interpretation.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

"2013 ;)"

They do not provide a copy of the document, nor do they cite the actual date on the document. That is what leaves things open for interpretation.

It's pretty clear they mean that it's 2013 dev kit documentation.

Rat Salad

Banned
In other threads you guys are saying backward compatibility isn't important but in here BR is for the next XBox? What about all you guys preaching Kinect sucks but then now they need BR playback? Shouldn't backward compatibility be moire important? Aren't many of you always preaching about core gaming? LOL!

Look. The world outside Sony Gaf is very different. Most people already have a BR player,theyre dirt cheap now. How many are gonna hold onto their PS3 or 360 *And* also buy a next gen machine? The gaming public are frugal! Chances are they'll sell them off or trade them in for next gen consoles. And those households will more than likely already have a BR player laying around now,their cheap. So BR playback in gaming consoles isn't all that important to have in the next XBox. Sony could use it as a bullet point,will the public care? Or is it that only Sony Gaf will? Eh? Yeah seems so. This isn't the year 2001 where Sony packed in DVD playback and people flocked to it for movies and gaming. Its very different now.

Deuterium

You're asking for something you won't get.

That's all well and good...

But on the other hand, let's bear in mind that this entire thread is based on purported information obtained by VGleaks, that not one of us have had a chance to review.

People are not only taking VGleaks reporting at face value, but by extension, taking VGleaks "sources" and follow-up analysis, double-checking, and "journalistic" ethics at face value, as well.

The problem, here, is VGleaks can't lose. If Microsoft comes out with different specs, VGleaks can claim that they were reporting on the "best" information they had at the time. If Microsoft's specs turn out to be in-line with VGleaks original information, then they can say "I told you so". In either case, no one is going to remember the accuracy of their reporting 2-3 months from now. Heck, look how many times Kokatu has been wrong, but they still carry a lot of water, here on GAF.

antic604

Banned
In other threads you guys are saying backward compatibility isn't important but in here BR is for the next XBox? What about all you guys preaching Kinect sucks but then now they need BR playback? Shouldn't backward compatibility be moire important? Aren't many of you always preaching about core gaming? LOL!

Look. The world outside Sony Gaf is very different. Most people already have a BR player,theyre dirt cheap now. How many are gonna hold onto their PS3 or 360 *And* also buy a next gen machine? The gaming public are frugal! Chances are they'll sell them off or trade them in for next gen consoles. And those households will more than likely already have a BR player laying around now,their cheap. So BR playback in gaming consoles isn't all that important to have in the next XBox. Sony could use it as a bullet point,will the public care? Or is it that only Sony Gaf will? Eh? Yeah seems so. This isn't the year 2001 where Sony packed in DVD playback and people flocked to it for movies and gaming. Its very different now.

You realize that BR disc holds 5-6x more data than DVD, so it's important for Xbox to have it for games? Not everyone will be able (or willing) to d/l games only.

Mrbob

Specs are always subject to change. VG Leaks was pretty solid with the PS4 info. So they have a small proven track record.

Doesn't mean the specs will be exactly how they are stating, but they should be close.

Edit: Lol, I'm glad I'm not the only one who was scratching my head at Rat Salad's post.

8pxcM61.jpg

Anyone wanting Blu-ray drive = Sony Gaf.

Majanew

Banned

The hell is this?

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.

"2013 ;)"

The question was about the date of the info, not the source. They were clear, 2013. You can choose not to believe it, but there is little interpretation involved.

Lot of ass damage around here...

Wynnebeck

Banned
It always made me scratch my head as to why Microsoft never joined the Blu-Ray Association with Sony and the rest of the members.

The meltdowns begin for no reason.

USC-fan

Banned
Specs are always subject to change. VG Leaks was pretty solid with the PS4 info. So they have a small proven track record.

Doesn't mean the specs will be exactly how they are stating, but they should be close.

Yes VGleaks are proven with the PS4. Plus everyone else in the gaming press is saying the same things.

People are just setting up for disappointment hoping for anything else. Going ahead and keep hyping these crazy random forum posters rumors. Going to lead to massive disappointment when the x720 announce. It will over shadow anything else about the console.

Best thing they can do is if the VGleaks specs are true just dont announce them like the wiiu. Just put out a press release with "8 core amd cpu & gpu with 8 GB of ram." This matches the sony specs on paper with that info. Like the wiiu thread you will have people talking about special sauce[gpgpu, edram, latency, fix function] that make it "better" than it really is....it gives people hope.

jaypah

I'm just going to assume that these are the final specs. Decent jump imo. Damn, I want to see some games now, I need something else to obsess over besides the Sony conference footage.

Reiko

Banned
I'm just going to assume that these are the final specs. Decent jump imo. Damn, I want to see some games now, I need something else to obsess over besides the Sony conference footage.

There's a possibility that these are final specs, and there's also a possibility that the specs are subject to change.

Mifune

Mehmber

Seriously. I just want both of these powerful consoles to be officially revealed. Then devs will be free to talk about some of the stuff they're working on and the deluge of next-gen graphix can commence.

jaypah

There's a possibility that these are final specs, and there's also a possibility that the specs are subject to change.

of course anything is possible but of the 2 scenarios I'd rather go with the one that seems more plausible and also sets my expectations lower. If the specs surpass the rumors then hey, that's great for me too!

PSGames

It would be idiotic to not include bluray play back. A lot of people bought Ps3s because it could play bluray. And if you're going for the center of the living room you don't want your customers to have to switch to another device to play their bluray movies. You want everything to be accessed from your console so you can control the experience.

It would be idiotic to not include bluray play back. A lot of people bought Ps3s because it could play bluray. And if you're going for the center of the living room you don't want your customers to have to switch to another device to play their bluray movies. You want everything to be accessed from your console so you can control the experience.

Yeah. That would be shitty beyond comprehension. I cannot believe this to be true.

Imagine a new Xbox owner showing his new system off to friends:

[XBox Owner] "Check out the Kinnect 2.0 control. I can control my entire experience with voice or gesture commands..."

(Swipes around the interface all Minority Report style.

[Friend] "Wow! It's like the future!"

[XBox Owner] "...now we'll just pop in the new Game of Thrones Blu-ray..."

(Starts gesturing madly. Nothing happens.)

[XBox Owner] "...huh..."

(More crazy gesturing, now becoming frantic.)

[Friend] "Is it broken?"

[XBox Owner] "...Oh, I must have to use the VOICE commands...THAT's what it is.

XBox...play Blu-ray disk!"

(No response)

[XBox Owner] "XBox...play Blu-ray disk!"

[XBox] "I'm sorry. I can't do that, Dave."

It's pretty clear they mean that it's 2013 dev kit documentation.

They didn't proof its from 2013 they could have taken a picture of it most white papers and programmers guide have a time stamp on them(possibility of editing). At least i know AMD did this with OpenCL you got a new version like every 3~4 months.

But they are in it for the clicks would you still go there if they said the documents were old?
They still have some stuff to leak like Audio/DSP if im not mistaken.

Top Bottom