• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGLeaks rumor: Durango CPU Overview

Jadedx

Banned
From all that I have read not even the insiders and devs knows exactly what's going on with durango. I doubt the nextbox specs will look anything like the vgleaks posts.

KidBeta

From all that I have read not even the insiders and devs knows exactly what's going on with durango. I doubt the nextbox specs will look anything like the vgleaks posts.

If they want to launch this year they will not have changed majorly.

Consoles take time, revisions take time.

Durante

But at the same time - are these actual dev-docs or just VGleaks essays?
That's a good question, I've always assumed them to be just rewordings of the official documents, but that could be completely wrong.

Is that really an improvement? They state separate MUL/ADD execution resources, ultimately I don't care if I issue a MADD or MUL+ADD if they both execute in 1 cycle on average (not to mention much of MADDs usage is interchangeable with DOT).
This is probably true from a game development PoV actually. If you have a HPC background you'll be thinking about the precision of the intermediate results, but I don't think that would matter in games.

Jadedx

Banned
If they want to launch this year they will not have changed majorly.

Consoles take time, revisions take time.

Sony changed their specs last summer, then again a few months ago adding 4 more gigabytes, MS changed specs right before 360 released. It is not impossible for MS to change the specs of Durango within a year and half.

Durante

Isn't fetching data from main gddr5 like a 200~300 cycle penalty for a wavefront if remember it right?
But you can easily mask this penalty by having enough wavefronts running doing calculations.
You can probably increase efficiency for a lot of algorithms if that initial penalty can be brought down to 50~100 cycle penalty.
Because most the time when i used opencl for image processing i was memory bound read pixel in write pixel out..
Well, there you have your reason. Image processing (well, most image processing) is one of the most latency-invariant workloads out there. There are others that would be impacted a lot more.

Toski

even though nothing is official, this is what makes the most sense.

MS may have chosen to build a candy box, and fill it with crack (apps, microtransactions, lower retail priced gamesdue to no resales etc...).
Since the box is a diversion, they may have focused on making it very small (wife acceptance factor), very cheap (to get people have several candy boxes at home) etc...

And for most people, 720 vs 360 graphics will be mind blowing anyway.

MS is doing to consoles what dealers do to drugs. Build reputation, work on your customers addiction, and then dilute your drugs and keep selling them at the same price.

If these rumors about Durango are true, it seems the console (and MS's business plan) is designed around protecting the current paywall. If the broad audience doesn't buy in, Durango could be sitting on shelves with the Wii U.

Read KidBeta's post. It is far more likely he was trolling.
Don't really think his trolling,but yeah very wired
https://twitter.com/superDaE/status/301913051907637249

And from Kotaku's article
"... the graphical leap from current-gen console gaming like going from playing Halo 2 on an original Xbox to playing Crysis on a powerful PC."
I don't think current Durango rumored final spec's will have that huge graphic leap.

KidBeta

Sony changed their specs last summer, then again a few months ago adding 4 more gigabytes, MS changed specs right before 360 released. It is not impossible for MS to change the specs of Durango within a year and half.

Sony added more RAM, that is different to completely redesigning everything to incorporate a new CPU and GPU.

RAM increase is doable.

The Durango CPU does not support line or way locking in either L1 or L2, and has no L3 cache.
Looks really standard.

This was one of the rumored modifications. Doesn't look like it's happening.

No FMA either, I thought that might happen after the improved vector units rumor.
WHAT? Even the Wii (and of course Espresso) or the Xenon CPU cores had cache locking!! This is a very useful feature performance-wise that helps a when you want to squeeze the CPU close to its theoretical limits and save a good amount of bandwidth.
If the PS4 CPU is as limited as the Durango one...

Kaako

Felium Defensor
What if MS was lying/spreading bs rumors just so they mislead the competition and then they come out with a monster of a system!? Think of the possibilities, maaaan.

Pretty sure that the eDRAM had 32GB/s from the main GPU die and had 256GB/s between the eDRAM and the ROPs (that are on the same die).

http://www.beyond3d.com/content/articles/4/3

http://fileadmin.cs.lth.se/cs/Personal/Michael_Doggett/talks/eg05-xenos-doggett.pdf

012l.jpg

Exactly, 256GB/s in 360 edram are for the ROPs.

So in Durango, are the 106GB/s between the GPU die and ESRAM? where are the ROPS in this scheme?

block_gpu.jpg

So in actual fact the PS4 could be the one with the more powerful CPU over a stock Jaguar, rumoured to be 25% faster and clocked higher

And as I had been saying - this backs up the countless other leaks that reported the CPU in Durango is just a standard jaguar.

But we kept hearing people here posting outlandish misinformation that Durango has a CPU with twice as many flops

And that has to be applied to both sides - so I remain unconvinced the PS4 CPU is clocked up by 25%.

KidBeta

Bandwidth on GDDR5 was changed.

Yeah decreased.

Don't forget the beta dev kits with the final GPU / Memory / DME's / (2 display planes) went out about a month ago. This stuff is shipping already its not up in the air anymore.

This would be the first time in history MS kept a console's specs completely static for an entire year. Would be hilarious if really true.

Wouldn't that indicate that they have got a solid road plan and are sticking to it? Last minute changes often indicate a lack of foresight...

In the case of PS4, changes to the roadplan don't seem major at all, just an upgrade of ram, which doesnt seem to have been technically difficult to pull of. Also, from what Sony have been saying, developing PS4 has been an iterative approach.

Who knows what is the case with Durango though...there was a lot of initial info then little since.

velociraptor

Nope. Core specs have stayed the same for Sony. Look how far back the rumours go. The only real surprise was the RAM. The PS4 was expected to have a Jaguar processor. The PS4 was also expected to have a 7xxx variant.

Reiko

Banned
Wouldn't that indicate that they have got a solid road plan and are sticking to it? Last minute changes often indicate a lack of foresight...

In the case of PS4, changes to the roadplan don't seem major at all, just an upgrade of ram, which doesnt seem to have been technically difficult to pull of. Also, from what Sony have been saying, developing PS4 has been an iterative approach.

Who knows what is the case with Durango though...there was a lot of initial info then little since.

There was supposed to be no info. SuperDaE exploited encrypted documents from Microsoft's server.

Yeah, as side from the original info, he has not provided anything new since then. I doubt he knows anything about what has happened since, since he has not been reticent to indicate details before

dr_rus

If the Durango CPU is really like this then I have to say that this is rather weak engineering. Separate L2s with no L3? No common cache for CPU and GPU? They're not using any benefits of APU if that info is true. I wonder why go with an APU at all in that case...

Nope. Core specs have stayed the same for Sony. Look how far back the rumours go. The only real surprise was the RAM. The PS4 was expected to have a Jaguar processor. The PS4 was also expected to have a 7xxx variant.

Yes, the only difference apart from RAM is the change of Steamroller for Jaguars, so in this last case at least a downgrade. I don´t know where people are taking from PS4 specs got better with the time. The 1,84 Tflops figure was there since 2011.

Razgreez

Again purely a clock-speed modification. Had they clocked the exact same ram at 6000MHz they would have had 192GB/s bandwidth. For whatever reason they've chosen to clock it at 5500 MHz.

Edit: What VV he said

BruceLeeRoy gave us the current number.

That was to take advantage of lower power GDDR5, 1.35v vs 1.55v per chip. It represents a significant power saving over 16 chips and makes cooling much simpler/cheaper also. Losing that 16GB/s worth of bandwidth was probably seen as worth it for the cooling and TDP gain.

So, the rumoured specs we have for MS are from a time we believed Sony was going for 2GB of gddr5. Then when the rumours for Orbis went up to 4, MS upgraded to something we don't know. Then when Sony announced 8 GB, MS upgraded again?

Biggzy

That was to take advantage of lower power GDDR5, 1.35v vs 1.55v per chip. It represents a significant power saving over 16 chips and makes cooling much simpler/cheaper also. Losing that 16GB/s worth of bandwidth was probably seen as worth it for the cooling and TDP gain.

Definitely worth it. I expect Sony and Microsoft don't want a repeat of this gen and how the launch consoles were big, hot and loud.

Yeah decreased.

Don't forget the beta dev kits with the final GPU / Memory / DME's / (2 display planes) went out about a month ago. This stuff is shipping already its not up in the air anymore.

Good point. Generally, it's just RAM and clocks likely still malleable.

I think people say there aren't DDR3 chips to allow MS to double RAM. But, they said the same thing about GDDR5 right before Sony did it, so I dont put much stock in it.

It would be pretty crazy lopsided to pair the equivalent of a 7770 with 16GB of RAM though. Hell, 8GB and the 7850 in PS4 is already kinda ram unbalanced imo. Even allowing the RAM must serve the whole system and not just the GPU.

It's funny to me how this gen became the RAM wars lol. Especially when early on it looked like the one area that was going to be severely gimped. Now we will get 8GB at minimum in both. Even when the GPU's are only average, we are swimming in RAM.

Pug

If the Durango CPU is really like this then I have to say that this is rather weak engineering. Separate L2s with no L3? No common cache for CPU and GPU? They're not using any benefits of APU if that info is true. I wonder why go with an APU at all in that case...

You do realise that the PS4 is using the exact same CPU?

Good point. Generally, it's just RAM and clocks likely still malleable.

I think people say there aren't DDR3 chips to allow MS to double RAM. But, they said the same thing about GDDR5 right before Sony did it, so I dont put much stock in it.

It would be pretty crazy lopsided to pair the equivalent of a 7770 with 16GB of RAM though. Hell, 8GB and the 7850 in PS4 is already kinda ram unbalanced imo. Even allowing the RAM must serve the whole system and not just the GPU.

No, we knew Hynix were shipping 4Gb GDDR5 chips in Q1, we just didn't figure that they would have enough volume, obviously they do.

8Gb DDR3 uses all kinds of weird 3D stacking and unproven methods that would be unreliable and expensive, MS will have to wait for 20nm to come fully online for the density increase to bump up from 8GB to 16GB, or they will have to go to 32x 4Gb chips which would be some feat of engineering.

Well, that's disappointing to know that consoles are not a match for 2012 PC hardware. :/

they make their money selling call of duty to 12 year old fratboys. those console players are not gonna buy a high end ivy cpu, or have a gaming rig. console is about low costs at a compromise, not top tier gaming.

but they are so much more affordable than gaming pcs.

TL;DR - You get what you pay for. And you don't pay a lot for a console! (599 dollarz)

Top Bottom