• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGLeaks rumor: Durango CPU Overview

Be more explicit and provide more then just 'some stuff', also some proof such as documentation would be nice.

No documentation. it was a conversation and I wasn't there. PS4 guy just teased me like he did for years for some details or insight in his studio. He reported me that MS double some stuff and (I rewrite from my previous post) would match the PS3 8gb because MS fear the public freak out over " the ps4 as twice more ram "

I don't know if he was teasing two different stuff or he the doubling is indeed the ram matching.

Pug

I wouldn't get too many hopes up regarding the specification changes, saying that there is still a load of detail we don't know about both machines. I can't see what Durango could double to improve performance greatly and I thought Durnago 8GB of memory has been a longstanding leak, especially if you believe they are using 3GB for OS.

deadlast

Do we know what the differences were between the Alpha and Beta Durangos are? Things may have changed. Hopefully we will see some leaks this week.

KidBeta

No documentation. it was a conversation and I wasn't there. PS4 guy just teased me like he did for years for some details or insight in his studio. He reported me that MS double some stuff and (I rewrite from my previous post) would match the PS3 8gb because MS fear the public freak out over " the ps4 as twice more ram "

I don't know if he was teasing two different stuff or he the doubling is indeed the ram matching.

Interesting, maybe Durango had 4GB of DDR3, because otherwise it wouldn't make sense at all.

Do we know what the differences were between the Alpha and Beta Durangos are? Things may have changed. Hopefully we will see some leaks this week.

I believe the alpha was just a desktop with a special OS installed.

Interesting, maybe Durango had 4GB of DDR3, because otherwise it wouldn't make sense at all.

I dont think it had 4GB with a 3GB os footprint rumors.
My guess is double the bandwidth from 68GB/s to 136+ GB/s how i don't know maybe take a loss and just go with young procedures of stacked memory.
because ddr3 is dead tech just like gddr5 i think. With the introduction of ddr4 soonish.

slider

We're already seeing a broadening of acceptable variation in IQ and graphical fidelity, and with more games launching cross-platform that will only increase. Even if the 33/50% specs difference is valid and visible :eek:n-screen: I'm not convinced it will be a great issue for large numbers of players/buyers. That said, if it :is: that obvious, it won't do the Xbox3 any favours. There are a lot more elements in play here though than just IQ.

I agree with you there.

I do see MS putting out a compelling machine that, whilst not pressing everyone's' buttons on GAF, will have mass market acceptance given (probably) fantastic social and media elements.

Takuya

Banned
Just because you have a source at some development company doesn't make them any more reliable than anyone else out there. They hear things, but half the time it's just chit-chat they overheard from their conference rooms. I've got friends working for games studios here in Montreal, and they tell me a lot of things, but also tell me most of the stuff is just rumblings from others within the office and nothing concrete.

KidBeta

Beta dev kits have Move Engines and 2 Display planes (Alpha had no move engines and no display planes) it also has the final GPU architecture where as the Alpha was simulated.

onQ123

You know who I'm referring to.

Proelite
GopherD
(Now) BruceLeeRoy
Ilheree
thuway
bgassassin

GopherD & maybe BruceLeeRoy are the only one's where I don't remember their info coming up short & that's because I don't really remember them saying much but every hint that GopherD drop that I remember was right on the money.

Nah - that's when Phase 2 will come into play...

I submit my theory on console warriors for your viewing pleasure

1. Stage one, The Hype

"Errmahgawd, it'll easily be a generation beyond 680GTX! You're a fanboy if you think otherwise! 360! 360! Xenos > 7800GTX!, TRENDZ!, UMA! Herpa derpa! trendz!"

2. Stage Two, Revelation

"Errrmahgawd consoles are going to suck! wtf is this, my laptop from 9 years ago is moar powerfulz! d00med! I'mma build a PC! smh **** me bros, I want 1080p with 8xMSAA and 60fps, this hardware can't do that! stupid MS/SONY!"

3. Stage Three, Denial

"These are probably fake, made by some bored PC/Sony/MS fanboyz! MS won't use such low end parts! I bet there will be 2 GPUs!, maybe the <insert part> will give us 3x the performance! MS is genius! classic MS bait and switch!! I bet they leaked these fake specs themselves to fool Sony ponies! haha its awesome! haha...hahahahaha! the real specs will blow everyone away! 30CU/32ROPS/16 GEEBEEs with 128MB of eSRAM! It makes sense TomSwooney on B3D with 2 posts leaked it! SONY DOOMEDZ!"

4. Stage Four, Renewed Hope

"Rumor is MS/Sony has some secret sawse! So teh hardware itself doesn't have to be moar powerful, teh sawse will make it uberpowerfulz! How likely is it they'll add more Gee Bees to the RAMZ?! Just add moar GEE BEEs for teh 60seconds of teh framez! DUAL APUs and RAY TRACERZ! 100% EFFICNETZ! Code to da metal bro! It's like 300% increase in graphix! GOD OF WAR BRO! UNCHARTED! Because of teh optimizationz PC will need a 980GTX + 96 GEEBEEs to run PS4/720 games at the same visualz! Don't worry broz, we'z fine"

5. Stage Five, Deflection

"It's not even about hardware or graphix, it's about teh art style and convience for developerz! <INSERT RIVAL PLATFORM> ain't got no good games anywayz! I personally like great art over graphix! That'z why I still play SNES! I only care about teh onlinez!"

Reiko

Banned
Just because you have a source at some development company doesn't make them any more reliable than anyone else out there. They hear things, but half the time it's just chit-chat they overheard from their conference rooms. I've got friends working for games studios here in Montreal, and they tell me a lot of things, but also tell me most of the stuff is just rumblings from others within the office and nothing concrete.

To be honest we shouldn't be hearing things at all.

The 8GB PS4 ram change was pretty big and not even Guerrilla Games knew about it. Some people really don't seem to follow NDA. And that was super internal.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
I have no idea.

BTW... There is another insider in this topic that I'm keeping off the list for anonymity.

Given that you have already proved that you have no ability to realistically and reasonably use discretion when evaluating information posted in various places, it's not much of a leap to assume that you have similar lacking in skills of evaluating the sources of such information.

Which is why people are generally discounting anything you say wholesale.

The only thing that has seem to double since the 8gb PS4 reveal is gullibility. Looking forward to the 720 reveal and the focus away from games, rather than specs.

Reiko

Banned
Given that you have already proved that you have no ability to realistically and reasonably use discretion when evaluating information posted in various places, it's not much of a leap to assume that you have similar lacking in skills of evaluating the sources of such information.

Which is why people are generally discounting anything you say wholesale.

You're thinking way too hard with this.

spwolf

Whoa... This is very big if true.

Your post and this:

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1715919&postcount=1675

The thing going around is "double" of what we know.

Durango hardware (Specs we know) should target 4K movies as well.

its called "leap of fate"

:)

McHuj

So 4GB of DDR4 and the OS takes up 3! I'm sure the 8GB leak is a longstanding one.

That's the part I find questionable. With the rumored OS reservation, there's no way they could have gone with 4GB of RAM (unless of course that was wrong as well).

The only thing that has seem to double since the 8gb PS4 reveal is gullibility. Looking forward to the 720 reveal and the focus away from games, rather than specs.

People with high tech standards will push this industry forward.
I'm now doing CS hoping when im done i can work with awesome hardware in the future not wiiU and Ouya shitty ass stuff. Or for god sake mobile development no thanks that is just not my thing. Give me flops as far as the eyes can see.

Takuya

Banned

The 8GB PS4 ram change was pretty big and not even Guerrilla Games knew about it. Some people really don't seem to follow NDA. And that was super internal.

NDAs are only as good as the people who sign them. You only give information to people you trust, people who have been in the loop for a long time. Making a dev sign an NDA will only work as well as the ability of the dev's employees are capable of keeping secrets.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
That's the part I find questionable. With the rumored OS reservation, there's no way they could have gone with 4GB of RAM (unless of course that was wrong as well).

The only way I could see that having a realistic base is if it meant 4gb was for available for games but even that seems way too low, even with a huge OS reserve. I'm expecting Durango to have 5.5-6.5gb for games and PS4 to have 7-7.5

M.D

its called "leap of fate"

:)

U7vPeUf.gif

KidBeta

I'm opening up all avenues when it comes to next gen surprises. I do this every gen.

Imagine how boring it would be if Sony stuck with 4GB GDDR5 like Vgleaks stated?

Theres a difference to believing everything like a gullible idiot and analysing source reliability we had 8GB GDDR5 for PS4 from a reliable source.

All these magic rumours of last minute 2x the power for Durango (causing it to shit in 2014, and for a pretty penny more then the PS4) are coming from sources that are in way shape or form reliable at all, you can keep the dream alive all you want but you are going to be let down majorly.

Reiko

Banned
You can't just throw in 2 more GB of RAM without messing with the bus width.

Something has to be done though. MS has a bandwidth and ram amount problem compared to the competition.

Unless that 3GB OS thing is not happening.

Theres a difference to believing everything like a gullible idiot and analysing source reliability we had 8GB GDDR5 for PS4 from a reliable source.

All these magic rumours of last minute 2x the power for Durango (causing it to shit in 2014, and for a pretty penny more then the PS4) are coming from sources that are in way shape or form reliable at all, you can keep the dream alive all you want but you are going to be let down majorly.

If it doesn't happen. Oh well.

sangreal

I'm opening up all avenues when it comes to next gen surprises. I do this every gen.

Imagine how boring it would be if Sony stuck with 4GB GDDR5 like Vgleaks stated?

You mean 2gb

I don't expect any big changes from what we know of Durango, but I do find it interesting that Sony is constantly being rumored to upgrade while we're being told that Orbis is superior in every way for months now

Something has to be done though. MS has a bandwidth and ram amount problem compared to the competition.

They might not care

Drek

I dont think it had 4GB with a 3GB os footprint rumors.
My guess is double the bandwidth from 68GB/s to 136+ GB/s how i don't know maybe take a loss and just go with young procedures of stacked memory.
because ddr3 is dead tech just like gddr5 i think. With the introduction of ddr4 soonish.

Neither stacked DDR3 or DDR4 will be viable for this holiday season. If MS goes for either of those options they're likely pushing the console until 2014.

Not from an engineering sense it wasn't. Sony just upped the chip densities due to new 4Gb ones being available. Throughout the PS4/Orbis rumours they held steady at 16x GDDR5 RAM chips. Originally 16x 1Gb to give 2GB total, then last year they updated to 16x 2Gb for 4GB total, and the final spec has 16x 4Gb for 8GB total.

Changing the RAM spec is about the easiest thing that can be done at the last minute, especially if newer tech comes online to facilitate the change. Going from 1x APU to 2x APU would be costly (think $499/599) and it would cause delays/shortages.

Finally, there is no reason for MS to go for a dual APU design, 1.23tf is plenty for the intended purpose of Durango since it seems to be less focussed on games and more on media and social stuff as well as a big emphasis on Kinect. This time, Sony and MS have diverging strategies and the silicon and cost budget has been diverted by management to push these differing approaches.

I'm pretty sure that this is exactly the opposite of what happened, and it was Sony that doubled their RAM at the last minute to match MS, not the other way around. I'm pretty sure you just misheard. And people who easily fall prey to wishful thinking are taking this (please take no offense, but poor-English) post and running with it as gospel that the Durango specs are suddenly going to change.

Reiko

Banned
I am not a mod to answer that.

I think the fact that he knows about the same info from the Durango meeting in detail should give you a hint.

I'm not an Insider, but I shared all the info that was passed to me from that document. That's all I know. Other than that... I'm in the dark like everyone else in this thread.

Dude, I want to be gentle about this, but a lot of your posts boil down to, effectively:

"There's something fishy about those commonly accepted leaked specs. I wouldn't be happy with them, therefore they are unlikely to happen. These other leaked specs would be more to my liking; therefore, I think they might end up being true."

Pug

If it doesn't happen. Oh well.

If the durango leaks are real, it does not have bandwidth issues.

Takuya

Banned
Dude, I want to be gentle about this, but a lot of your posts boil down to, effectively:

"There's something fishy about those commonly accepted leaked specs. I wouldn't be happy with them, therefore they are unlikely to happen. These other leaked specs would be more to my liking; therefore, I think they might end up being true."

Which leaks are you talking about specifically?

Reiko

Banned

There is nothing fishy about the leaked specs at all. But there is always the possibility that something can change. Things could get upgraded or downgraded.

Top Bottom