• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGLeaks rumor: Durango CPU Overview

Drek

Something has to be done though. MS has a bandwidth and ram amount problem compared to the competition.

Unless that 3GB OS thing is not happening.

Why does something have to be done? It's entirely possible that MS is quite happy to release a system with slightly weaker specs to the PS4. The only way that matters is if the two are both aimed at and directly competing for the exact same consumers. That doesn't seem to be the case.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Dude, I want to be gentle about this, but a lot of your posts boil down to, effectively:

"There's something fishy about those commonly accepted leaked specs. I wouldn't be happy with them, therefore they are unlikely to happen. These other leaked specs would be more to my liking; therefore, I think they might end up being true."

before this thread derailed with insane ramblings, people were settling around the various VGleaks info and edge info. Which seemed to be 8 jaguar cores on both machines, 8GB for Durango and 4G for PS4 (last minute bump which surprised everyone), 1.2TF GPU for Durango and 1.8 for PS4.

Now a couple of wild nonsensical things pop out like dual APU which is taking us back to the early days of APU+GPU, and people are suggesting MS will do something last minute.

But isn't the simpler explanation that MS are happy with their approach, it was Sony getting lucky/canny with chip densities that allowed them more ram, and that nothing much will change?

Both will be launching around the same time, which means similar die sizes for similar budget. MS seem to have chosen to spend some of their transistors on esram, which leaves less for CUs. That allowed them to have more security to have 8GB DDR3 earlier in the process.

I think people just need to calm down.

Is everyone in here familiar with Pascal's Wager?

It essentially goes as follows:

(The Christian) God could exist, or He could not exist. Therefore, there is a 50% chance that He exists. Therefore, in order to hedge our bets, we should act as if He exists.

I feel like there is some similar reasoning going on in this thread. -_-

Something has to be done though. MS has a bandwidth and ram amount problem compared to the competition.

This makes no sense to anyone that's been paying attention to recent history. Chasing more power is like chasing your own tail. You'll get nowhere. Power specs aren't sexy. They won't sell your device to consumers. All you really need is a little flash(not memory) and a little substance (not special sauce).

Reiko

Banned
Why does something have to be done? It's entirely possible that MS is quite happy to release a system with slightly weaker specs to the PS4. The only way that matters is if the two are both aimed at and directly competing for the exact same consumers. That doesn't seem to be the case.

So gamers should be comfortable with lower specs and lower ram amounts as well?

That would also suck for Sony if third party games are made with 5GB in mind. You would only have to play exclusives to get the most out of the system. (This has already happened this gen but not because of the RAM amounts)

Takuya

Banned

This late in the development cycle for the platform there won't be any drastic changes to the architecture unless they delay the launch for another half year (unless they don't care to have another RROD fiasco on their hands). They can potentially push current hardware to perform higher than spec but adding anything else to to the system would most likely be a task that would cause massive delays to the launch schedule.

Besides, I think Microsoft's goal this generation is to Push Kinect down everyone's throats and market their "XBOX everywhere" mentality with Surface/Glass/WPhone/Xbox/Kinect.

Pug

before this thread derailed with insane ramblings, people were settling around the various VGleaks info and edge info. Which seemed to be 8 jaguar cores on both machines, 8GB for Durango and 4G for PS4 (last minute bump which surprised everyone), 1.2TF GPU for Durango and 1.8 for PS4.

Now a couple of wild nonsensical things pop out like dual APU which is taking us back to the early days of APU+GPU, and people are suggesting MS will do something last minute.

But isn't the simpler explanation that MS are happy with their approach, it was Sony getting lucky/canny with chip densities that allowed them more ram, and that nothing much will change?

Both will be launching around the same time, which means similar die sizes for similar budget. MS seem to have chosen to spend some of their transistors on esram, which leaves less for CUs. That allowed them to have more security to have 8GB DDR3 earlier in the process.

I think people just need to calm down.

The voice of reason, still do you think you can double it?

Pug

That would also suck for Sony if third party games are made with 5GB in mind. You would only have to play exclusives to get the most out of the system. (This has already happened this gen but not because of the RAM amounts)

Durango has 8GB of memory and IF 3GB is reserved for OS it will be used for something, something you may like.

But Durango doesn't seem to be built with gamers in mind. MS have build a KinectBox with a bunch of social networking and media features.

Seriously, all signs point to this conclusion. Hoping/believing that MS radically changed their direction so late in the day by going for 2x APUs is only going to lead to disappointment. MS just aren't going to cater for the core gamer this time, at least going by the reliable leaks.

If gamers want a more powerful system, perhaps they should buy the more powerful system? And once gamers have largely settled on the more powerful system, developers will have every incentive to target the capabilities of the more powerful system. Maybe we should stop talking like people have no choice but to buy one or the other.

onQ123

So um yeah I was looking for the Durango CPU Thread anyone know where I can find it?

speaking of it I think it's more to the CPU than just 8 plain Jaguar cores.

Of the "commonly accepted" leaked specs, the 3GB of RAM use by the OS is what I doubt the most. Or, rather, I suspect that Microsoft may have reserved that much for launch titles/dev kits but will reduce the OS's RAM use by launch (see, for example, the PS3's OS, which started off using much more RAM than it does now). It just makes sense to reserve a healthy chunk early on so their OS developers can have room to play around. I trust entirely that it's *true* as far as devkits are concerned, but I think it'll be using less, if not at launch, then by the middle of the next console cycle.

Reiko, if you want something to be optimistic about with regard to specs changing, that's honestly where I would look if I were you.

slider

If you're all about console specs get the PS4.

If you're into the Live ecosystem get the nextbox.

Whichever you choose hope that your manufacturer of choice improves, what seems to you, their weakness (whether that's PSN nextgen/ecosystem or nextbox's gpu/ram).

You can apply that reasoning to whatever aspect you want. As the British say "you pays your money and make your choice".

Reiko

Banned
Of the "commonly accepted" leaked specs, the 3GB of RAM use by the OS is what I doubt the most. Or, rather, I suspect that Microsoft may have reserved that much for launch titles/dev kits but will reduce the OS's RAM use by launch (see, for example, the PS3's OS, which started off using much more RAM than it does now). It just makes sense to reserve a healthy chunk early on so their OS developers can have room to play around. I trust entirely that it's *true* as far as devkits are concerned, but I think it'll be using less, if not at launch, then by the middle of the next console cycle.

Reiko, if you want something to be optimistic about with regard to specs changing, that's honestly where I would look if I were you.

Understood.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
But Durango doesn't seem to be built with gamers in mind. MS have build a KinectBox with a bunch of social networking and media features.

Seriously, all signs point to this conclusion. Hoping/believing that MS radically changed their direction so late in the day by going for 2x APUs is only going to lead to disappointment. MS just aren't going to cater for the core gamer this time, at least going by the reliable leaks.

but if they can do all that media/kinect/server nonsense and still have 5-6GB ram and 1.2TF GPU for games, thats not exactly a WiiU now is it? It'll still make great looking games.

I think if these rumours are true, multiplatform games will look a little better on PS4 than Durango, but that'll have little if any bearing on which sells the most. MS have shown they are not afraid to open the wallet to market something.

Reiko

Banned
Then you probably need to look elsewhere.

Wii U already has that area covered for that type of gamer.

What is the point of buying a new console that can't run next gen games with acceptable framerates like a locked 30fps or 60fps?

Xbox 360 is already doing that now.

Drek

1. scaling for the additional RAM is child's play, especially on what will now be three x86 based platforms (PS4, X720, and PC). Scaling for the GPU will be easy as well. Scaling for the GDDR5 bandwidth will be a bit more work, but not very much. None of this is remotely like redistributing an engine to focus on the CPU instead of GPU, which people were forced into with PS3 ports from 360, or working with split memory versus unified.

2. If gamers aren't comfortable with MS' lower specs they should just buy the PS4 because if MS goes with the lower spec system it's a sign that gamers aren't their primary target.

Not interested in services or other gimmicks, just gaming and optimal console performance.

Then buy a PS4. Or a gaming PC.

slider

What is the point of buying a new console that can't run next gen games with acceptable framerates like a locked 30fps or 60fps?

Let's not jump the gun, eh?

Krilekk

Banned
Of the "commonly accepted" leaked specs, the 3GB of RAM use by the OS is what I doubt the most.

That's actually pretty understandable. 1 GB reserved for Kinect, 1 GB for the OS, 1 GB for Fortaleza glasses. Cause they sure have learned their lesson from Kinect 1.

Reiko

Banned
Durango isn't the only option out there for gamers.

Optimal console performance on multiplats was the only reason I bought the original Xbox and Xbox 360. Why should MS stop now to chase the fickle casual crowd? That sure worked out great for Nintendo. It's a highly unpredictable market to chase.

Takuya

Banned
Optimal console performance on multiplats was the only reason I bought the original Xbox and Xbox 360. Why should MS stop now to chase the fickle casual crowd? That sure worked out great for Nintendo.

The Wii sold a heck of a lot of units didn't it?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Durango isn't the only option out there for gamers.
This kind of speaks to something I've been wondering about for a while, I've seen several people who aren't happy with the supposed direction that MS is taking (specs, no used games, always online, etc) but act like they're obligated to only buy Durango instead of PS4. I know I would be jumping ship planning on getting PS4 and would get Durango instead if I was that unhappy with Sony's direction.

but if they can do all that media/kinect/server nonsense and still have 5-6GB ram and 1.2TF GPU for games, thats not exactly a WiiU now is it? It'll still make great looking games.

I think if these rumours are true, multiplatform games will look a little better on PS4 than Durango, but that'll have little if any bearing on which sells the most. MS have shown they are not afraid to open the wallet to market something.

I didn't say it would be comparable to the Wii U, just that MS don't look to be making a gaming focussed box this time and will likely use the Xbox brand to push other MS services and products much like Sony used PlayStation to push DVD and Blu-ray.

Nintendo have not got that gamer covered, and let's wait for the reveal to pass judgement on the games, especially something as specific as framerates.

DBT85

Optimal console performance on multiplats was the only reason I bought the original Xbox and Xbox 360. Why should MS stop now to chase the fickle casual crowd? That sure worked out great for Nintendo. It's a highly unpredictable market to chase.

You make it sound like it's Durango or nothing.

Drek

Because they want to. Why has Ballmer chased away every promising management person they've had? Why did they stop trying new IPs less than half way through the X360's life cycle? Why did they shutter many of their core first party studios and let Weismann take the MechWarrior and Shadowrun IPs with him?

Are these the kinds of moves you expect from a company intent on servicing the core gamer going forward?

It isn't Microsoft's fault you refuse to take the hint. If they can string you along with the occasional Halo that's your fault for falling for it, not theirs for trying it.

jaypah

You make it sound like it's Durango or nothing.

exactly. If specs are your top priority then newegg is one click away. Or if you for some reason say that PC doesn't count then get a PS4. Or at least wait for the Durango unveil before you do anything.

Drek

I'm a multiconsole owner.

I own a PS3 mainly for exclusives and free online.

Well, awesome for you then as if the Durango is what it's rumored to be you'll get to save ~$400 by not buying it, since the PS4 will have exclusives, best versions of multiplats, and hopefully still include free online.

pestul

The dual APU rumour is almost a full-circle back to the first nextgen rumours surrounding crossfire setups. :S

It's a bit of a wild fantasy to cling to at this point I believe.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
The dual APU rumour is almost a full-circle back to the first nextgen rumours surrounding crossfire setups. :S

It's a bit of a wild fantasy to cling to at this point I believe.

The Dual APU rumor is just a rehashing of Yukon for those that didn't hear about it (or importantly it's rejection) first time around. Durango won, Yukon lost, plain and simple.

So Durango will be 8+8 CPU cores and Crossfire 7770 with 16GB of DDR3, right?

And the devkits are shipped in a 360 Slim case, right?

Riiight.

Perhaps they're looking for the middle ground. Sony constantly chases the "more power durrrrrr" approach and it's done nothing but kill their business. Nintendo slaps a gimmick on everything and goes cheap with the specs, often to big success. So if you're Microsoft planning your next console a few years ago, you look at it and think to yourself that the answer is somewhere between those two extremes. Namely because consumers have proven time and time again that power means almost nothing to them. Price, convenience, and a little bit of flash is what you need. I'm sure they weren't expecting Nintendo's method to crater so hard so fast though. I'm also sure that they were counting on Windows 8 being a huge success prior to launching their console. Windows 8 relative failure might have a negative impact on what they do with the Xbox now.

Top Bottom