• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGLeaks rumor: Durango CPU Overview

slow times, slow times...wonder when our next hardware info bomb will be.

Right now.

We will be offering a single chip custom-made APUs for PlayStation 4, Nintendo Wii U and Xbox. So they don’t need a graphics card at all. We will also be offering custom-made chips for inflight entertainment systems made by Airbus and Boeing. The monitors will be thinner and faster,” he said.

https://gulfnews.com/business/technology/amd-gears-up-to-take-on-intel-1.1156937

“AMD technology is inside all known next-gen consoles: the Nintendo Wii U which leverages semi-custom AMD Radeon GPU technology, and the Sony PS4 which is powered by a semi-custom AMD APU. AMD graphics technologies also power the Nintendo Wii U and Microsoft Xbox 360,”

Well he's talking about 360

Triple U

Banned
After it was pointed out that the original VGleak Leaked documents indicated they were over a year old...a single, one-word reply came back from VGleaks covering their ass, by responding thusly:

"2013 ;)"

I call bullshit...for the simple reason that VGleaks cannot lose. If the original "leaked" specs happen to be in any way accurate, VGleaks simply can say "told you so". End of story.

If the "leaked" specs do not conform to the actual final Durango console, as announced, they simply say something to the effect that "new shit has come to light, and we were reporting on the best information that we had at the time". Again, end of story.

THEY CAN'T LOSE.

And the more hits their site gets...the greater their potential revenue.

P.S. -- An example of this has already occured with the PS4 spec change to 8Gb GDDR5 RAM.
What is their answer to this discrepency? Basically, it is ..."gee, it occurred at the last minute, how were we to know"

I missed this but you really don't seem to have a pulse for this stuff at all.

Also,

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=514778

http://beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1712366&postcount=111

You are seemingly grasping at straws.

Master_JO

Banned
May I ask how one confirms a leak?, how many sources need to say the same thing for it to be confirmed?.

Whats wrong with you bro? You have been begging for xbox 3 to be underpowerd. Believing in something that is not confirmed yet is kinda idiotic. What if xbox will be more powerful? How would that make you feel? Stupid? isnt it better to stay a little bit neutral so you wont feel stupid after things got revealed? Things can change sometimes. Hell, Microsoft can cancel the whole xbox name if they want.
If you love PS so much and are satisfied with whats got revealed by sony, Why arent you on PS4 topics? I see you more active here then there.

But if you wont feel that then I guess you are who you are.

Durante

Yes, clearly those of us waiting for an official announcement of Microsoft's next gen gaming console, much less official technical specs...are clearly delusional in our reluctance to accept as indisputable facts, the unconfirmed, anonymous leaks that, in at least one famous case, are over a year old.
You, and many others, often say "a year old" as if that were a lot of time in chip design. It's not. Unless they had multiple hardware platform tracks going from the start (which is what some suggest) you won't see any significant changes over such a period.

You, and many others, often say "a year old" as if that were a lot of time in chip design. It's not. Unless they had multiple hardware platform tracks going from the start (which is what some suggest) you won't see any significant changes over such a period.

RAM and clocks are possible late changers, as Sony just showed and MS showed last gen.

Upping the rumored 12 CU Durango GPU from 800mhz to 1ghz would be the equivalent of adding 3 CU's without requiring major redesign.

Everyone in this thread is clutching at straws since MS has officially said nothing of Durango's existence.

Heh, yeah, technically we could say that.

There is a well defined set of baseline rumors though, that all make sense, and are even more likely since the prevailing Ps4 rumors were confirmed (except the late RAM surprise, which even that was rumored just before).

I continue to think that whats strange is no consistent whispers of Orbis clubbing Durango from devs. That I know of anyway. Some of that may have been before the PS4 RAM upgrade to be fair. But that makes me continue to think something may be more than meets the eye here.

But I guess if you presuppose Durango is the more powerful of the two, then there's not really any consistent word of that either. But the general feeling is Orbis>Durango, so the absence of whispers in that direction is more odd to me.

My point being...there now exists (as compared to last generation-- 7+ years ago) improved / shortened lead-times and logistics which allow for significant changes in technical specifications to take place much later, (comparatively) in a console's pre-production evolution.
I actually don't think it's implausible that a company with Microsoft's expertise and purchasing clout could indeed fast-track hardware design changes into production. But that doesn't mean such changes would ever actually happen.

The problem wouldn't be the console, but the games. Development regularly takes over a year now, so shooting for fall 2013 would mean starting in summer 2012, or earlier. Without the final hardware, studios require some kind of detailed, low-level breakdown of the technical specs and features that will be available in the final machine.

And what has been leaked? A detailed, low-level technical breakdown from spring 2012. That's not conclusive, but it's at least very suggestive that the specs are final (or very nearly).

stryke

I actually don't think it's implausible that a company with Microsoft's expertise and purchasing clout could indeed fast-track hardware design changes into production. But that doesn't mean such changes would ever actually happen.

Sure they could, if you want a repeat of the RROD fiasco.

I'm no expert but I think something like adding CU's is out. It takes so long to test new chip designs and alterations...months and years.

Especially with the really non standard memory interfaces these console GPU's have. They dont have a PC equivalent, so it's even harder I think.

But if you want Durango to be more powerful, you can just think the 12 CU rumors are wrong, or something. Until we get confirmation.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Everyone in this thread is clutching at straws since MS has officially said nothing of Durango's existence.

hang on, you're trying to inject some sense into this thread after almost single-handedly keeping the nonsense going for the last ten pages?

better late than never I guess.

onQ123

We Need the Bird Guy back on gaf this place just hasn't been the same since he was banned just look at this thread SMH.

QaaQer

As I've quoted before, Richard Leadbetter from Digital Foundry wrote that in the fastest moving sector of consumer computing electronics, the smartphone business, the spec & design have to be finalized 18 months before street date at a minimum.

These products require a lot of work to get to market, and that work requires time. design-->fabrication-->test-->packaging take time. It is complex and fraught with pitfalls. And expensive, TMSC spent close to 10 billion dollars on their 300mm fab plant. And then there is the cost and scarcity of top notch chip dev people.

And lets be honest, console chips aren't exactly a huge market, so it's not as if MS can throw its weight around with chipmakers. 120 million tablets were sold last year and there are >1 billion smartphones in the world. Consoles are chumpchange compared to those numbers.

Are the 2012 feb docs set in stone? If they are legitimate, then most of it is set in stone. I believe they are legitimate because of the fbi takedown of superdae.

There is a lot we don't know in terms of services pricing etc, but you can be pretty sure MS will be shipping a box with 8GB of ddr3, an 8-core Jaguar derived 1.2TF DX11.1 apu.

A chip is a complex device that forms the brains of every computing device. While chips look flat, they are three-dimensional structures and may include as many as 30 layers of complex circuitry.

I continue to think that whats strange is no consistent whispers of Orbis clubbing Durango from devs.

I don't think that's strange, either console is unlikely to "club" the other one. I expect them to be rather similar when it comes to real-life performance, with PS4 probably being slightly ahead in most respects (and also slightly behind in other areas, like sound processing, skeletal tracking and so on).

Are the 2012 feb docs set in stone? If they are legitimate, then most of it is set in stone. I believe they are legitimate because of the fbi takedown of superdae.

The thing is, hardware makers usually do have backup plans (as I already said, perhaps in another thread, general manager of Xbox hardware architecture already confirmed that in Xbox 360's case they had various design switches they were able to flip at the last moment had the need arisen), but again, I don't think that Microsoft will necessarily feel compelled to change much based on what Sony has revealed.

CLEEK

I continue to think that whats strange is no consistent whispers of Orbis clubbing Durango from devs. That I know of anyway. Some of that may have been before the PS4 RAM upgrade to be fair. But that makes me continue to think something may be more than meets the eye here.

I would put the lack of dev fuelled console wars down to NDAs. Until MS formally annouce the next Xbox, devs can't even say it exists. Once it has had an official reveal, i'm expecting far more comments/tweets/interviews where devs give their views of the merit between the two consoles.

danwarb

The leaked/rumoured Durango spec is actually fine. In reality it'd run the same games with the same textures and effects, update, load times as the PS4 spec and with still better image quality than at least current gen consoles. This is if PS4 is targeting full 1080p as standard. It might run into trouble if a PS4 version runs at a low resolution leaving nowhere to go.

Given how otherwise similar these two systems are I'll say there won't be much difference in output, maybe less than with PS360. Aside from Nextbox more consistently running a lower resolution or more aggressive dynamic resolution.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Quick tech related question. What exactly is the relationship between a GPU clock and the CUs in terms of performance? I can never figure the math out. Sorry for a GPU question in a CPU thread but this is the only active tech thread right now.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

silence doesn't mean anything - or just NDAs being observed. We do that all the time, especially in this thread. Silence always means conspiracy and a secret we need to discover. Unfortunately the boring truth is that silence usually just means people aren't talking about it, and it doesn't mean anyone is necessarily prepping any sauce.

Quick tech related question. What exactly is the relationship between a GPU clock and the CUs in terms of performance? I can never figure the math out. Sorry for a GPU question in a CPU thread but this is the only active tech thread right now.

should be a fairly linear improvement I think. Check out GHz editions of the 7870

Triple U

Banned

The clock is a multipler of the CUs performance.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
should be a fairly linear improvement I think. Check out GHz editions of the 7870

I'll check some benchmarks out. I didn't realize that there was a GHz edition of the 7870. I was looking into that card last year for a potential PC build before I had to spend cash on other things so I'm pretty familiar with it's performance.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The clock is a multipler of the CUs performance.

and if we're going to start down the rabbit hole of 'maybe MS is clocking the GPU at 1GHz' (seemingly random and not a rumour, just based on what they could tweak), then someone can pull out the PS4 2GHz Jaguar rumour which might also mean a 1GHz GPU (yes I know they aren't directly coupled but in this thread fuck it)

I'll check some benchmarks out. I didn't realize that there was a GHz edition of the 7870. I was looking into that card last year for a potential PC build before I had to spend cash on other things so I'm pretty familiar with it's performance.

I *think* the 7870 is always the GHz edition - basically the 7870 is the 7850 clocked faster, if that makes sense?

Master_JO

Banned
New Rumor. Nothing big maybe:

A mysterious project sponsored by Bill Gates?

It is through the update profile LikedIn an engineer from Seattle, who recently joined Activision, we learn of mysterious things on the next Xbox.

He mentioned on his profile have worked on a "next generation machine," which is linked to a project curiously old Xbox 2008 and entitled "Project 434". Our colleague Kotaku made ​​the connection with another LinkedIn profile of a former Microsoft employee who described the "Project 434" as "a team of over 35 engineers handpicked [...] working on a platform revolutionary game and strategy sponsored by Bill Gates. "

A third profile of a former Microsoft employee reported for work on the concept of "magic wand movement." Should we then imagine that the next Kinect is an accessory would add physics? The future will tell us that Microsoft is going to get us out of his hat.

Linky

Better then nothing :D

RAM and clocks are possible late changers, as Sony just showed and MS showed last gen.

Upping the rumored 12 CU Durango GPU from 800mhz to 1ghz would be the equivalent of adding 3 CU's without requiring major redesign.

Which really isn't possible with 32mb of eSRAM on there since that alone will heat up the chip immensely.

It could be possible, but you know... if you want heat issues, it's best not to push that stuff.

Hanmik

New Rumor. Nothing big maybe:

A mysterious project sponsored by Bill Gates?

It is through the update profile LikedIn an engineer from Seattle, who recently joined Activision, we learn of mysterious things on the next Xbox.

He mentioned on his profile have worked on a "next generation machine," which is linked to a project curiously old Xbox 2008 and entitled "Project 434". Our colleague Kotaku made ​​the connection with another LinkedIn profile of a former Microsoft employee who described the "Project 434" as "a team of over 35 engineers handpicked [...] working on a platform revolutionary game and strategy sponsored by Bill Gates. "

A third profile of a former Microsoft employee reported for work on the concept of "magic wand movement." Should we then imagine that the next Kinect is an accessory would add physics? The future will tell us that Microsoft is going to get us out of his hat.

Linky

Better then nothing :D

project 434.. maybe this is related..

http://unitepeople.de/en/jobs/project-434-software-testing/

allthough i doubt it.. Germany.. hmmm..

Master_JO

Banned
Some French Guy at a gaming site says he got an Insider at MS. He also says that the level of security at MS right now is like Area 51 :D
I dont know how reliable the dude is but it give usat least something to speculate about :p

Statement from him:
Reply on April 26 or so with a little luck it will leak this week following the meeting currently taking place internally. @ Cyrildinho: To silence it does not surprise me, the level of safety as reported by me is at the highest level (limit zone 51 as it was said), so the NES is strictly enforced to the letter. Anyway there are less than two months before officially know everything and like I said there will be small leaks this week. Suspense will not be very long. Regarding the specs, I continue to believe that the console will be the final much more powerful than the leaks of vgleaks. (incomplete)"

Speaking of that I just heard from a contact at Microsoft that leaks on to vgleaks the 720 is a year old and half .. Not to mention the fact that it is very underrated power level.

Tipster : mistercteam

1.2.3 Speculate :D

ekim

Some French Guy at a gaming site says he got an Insider at MS. He also says that the level of security at MS right now is like Area 51 :D
I dont know how reliable the dude is but it give usat least something to speculate about :p

Statement from him:
Reply on April 26 or so with a little luck it will leak this week following the meeting currently taking place internally. @ Cyrildinho: To silence it does not surprise me, the level of safety as reported by me is at the highest level (limit zone 51 as it was said), so the NES is strictly enforced to the letter. Anyway there are less than two months before officially know everything and like I said there will be small leaks this week. Suspense will not be very long. Regarding the specs, I continue to believe that the console will be the final much more powerful than the leaks of vgleaks. (incomplete)"

Speaking of that I just heard from a contact at Microsoft that leaks on to vgleaks the 720 is a year old and half .. Not to mention the fact that it is very underrated power level.

Tipster : mistercteam

1.2.3 Speculate :D

lol

Top Bottom