• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGLeaks Rumor: Final Fantasy XV (renamed FFVersus) PS4 Exclusive. Sony co-developing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jesus people keep harping on this shareholder business like it means something. If they held any influence at all, you wouldn't see XIII on 360.

What part about "this is a tad unrelated" do you not understand? :p

My point is that Sony and Square Enix have had history together, so it's not unreasonable to see a Sony-Square Enix co-developed title.

Sony being a massive shareholder of Square Enix stock doesn't mean much at all, but it sure can't hurt when it comes to Andrew House sitting down with Wada to hammer out a deal.

Every exciting rumor goes through a cycle

1 Denial
2 Doubt
3 Belief
4 Verification with others
5 Build hype
6 Go beyond original rumor
7 Get pissed when the rumored announcement is never made OR express dissapointment at the announcement not meeting expectations

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Am I the only one that hopes this at least ALSO ends up on PS3? You know, make it a crossgen title? I don't want to buy a PS4 so soon.
I really dont want this because it would most likely hurt the visuals of the PS4 version. Honestly I hope they scrapped most of the assets from the PS3 version and are taking full advantage of PS4s power.

This seems likely to me. With FF13 getting 2 sequels, I thought it was a good chance that FFV13 would just get renamed, story altered a bit, and released as a altogether separate game, much like Type 0 was.

It undergoing engine porting to a then unannounced console would explaign the years long media blackout on the title.

I've no idea if I could call myself a fan anymore, no news concerning this series has excited me in the last five years and my interest in it is dying, I feel bad for myself :(

I've no idea if I could call myself a fan anymore, no news concerning this series has excited me in the last five years and my interest in it is dying, I feel bad for myself :(

I think you should be very excited since this is Nomura's game. Toriyama kind of ruined the series with FFXIII and the sequels. I LOVED Final Fantasy X, I think I spent about 200 hours on it, so I am looking forward to this!

wasn't all this confirmed? pretty sure game has vehicles, the trailers did feature controllable robots

yeah but we expected versus to come out at some point on ps3 too ;P

Hopefully, with Sony assisting in development, HD towns won't be "too difficult to make" this time around.

and we can go inside as well and open up drawers and cabinets and whatnot. don't skimp on those little touches plz.

I think we will get all of that, they pretty much have no excuses now.

too big to fit on a blu-ray disc ;P

Dremark

Banned
Anything if they actually make a final fantasy title and not "technology magic 4: let's see how space combines with fantasy once again".

Glad to hear they're going a different direction!

Fantasy and Sci-fi elements integrated together have been a trademark of the series from the first game.

Jomjom

Banned
I know this is a tad unrelated....but did you know that Sony Computer Entertainment is actually the third largest shareholder of Square Enix?

The two companies have history together, especially when it comes to Final Fantasy games.

Its pretty strange that they are such a big shareholder yet SE has been pretty heavily in the 360's corner this gen with timed exclusives.

I don't see that changing next gen which is why this rumor sounds unlikely to be true.

KAL2006

Banned
E3 gonna be crazy for Sony

Final Fantasy XV
Last Guardian
Naughty Dogs game, Uncharted 4?
Santa Monica's new IP
Ready at Dawns new IP

Along with more details for Drive Club, inFamous and Killzone.

Takuya

Banned
Its pretty strange that they are such a big shareholder yet SE has been pretty heavily in the 360's corner this gen with timed exclusives.

At 8~% stake, you don't have much say in the direction the company is going. And Microsoft paid big money to get content from S-E this gen, but S-E didn't see the numbers to support having done that (apart from the $ numbers from the moneyhat).

I don't see that changing next gen which is why this rumor sounds unlikely to be true.
With Sony co-developing (actually more providing resources than anything) it's easy to see that changing, especially since Sony's platform is where their FF titles sold best, by far. And most likely, MS is already dead in Japan, even next-gen.

Alcander

Strange to me that they would go back to a strategy (exusive to a single console) which flopped pretty badly at the beginning of this current gen. Perhaps they are expecting next gen to play out a more one-sided, but I wouldn't count on it.

E3 gonna be crazy for Sony

Final Fantasy XV
Last Guardian
Naughty Dogs game, Uncharted 4?
Santa Monica's new IP
Ready at Dawns new IP

Along with more details for Drive Club, inFamous and Killzone.

hmm I doubt Naughty Dog will show Uncharted 4...that's for next e3 in 2014. I am sure there will be a big emphasis on Ready at Dawn's PS4 game. Same goes for Santa Monica's new game

Majmun

Final Fantasy XIII Agito turned to Final Fantasy Type-0
Final Fantasy XIII Versus is probably going to turn to Final Fantasy XV

Final Fantasy XIII and XIII-2 are pretty mediocre.

Damn, the Fabula Nova Crystallis project has been such a mess.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Fantasy and Sci-fi elements integrated together have been a trademark of the series from the first game.
It's one of my favorite things about the series. They almost always nail the aesthetics.

Elios83

And Sony is co-developing it, that's the major surprise.

If you think about it, Sony has always had some kind of exclusive agreement on Versus after FFXIII went multiplatform.
Considering that Square was not able to release the game on PS3 (same thing happened to Team Ico and The Last Guardian), Sony probably stepped in and proposed a further deal, that is to co-develop the game if they were willing to switch the platform to PS4 and keep it exclusive.
For Square Enix it's just a winning deal also, considering the Roen leak (Versus becomes XV) and the fact that Hashimoto has already announced that a PS4 FF will be announced at E3, I believe this is actually happening.

hmm I doubt Naughty Dog will show Uncharted 4...that's for next e3 in 2014. I am sure there will be a big emphasis on Ready at Dawn's PS4 game. Same goes for Santa Monica's new game

I think there's a chance for ND to show something, their second team must have been working on something since Uncharted 3.

Final Fantasy XIII Agito turned to Final Fantasy Type-0
Final Fantasy XIII Versus is probably going to turn to Final Fantasy XV

Final Fantasy XIII and XIII-2 are pretty mediocre.

Damn, the Fabula Nova Crystallis project has been such a mess.

They wanted another Compilation of FFVII kind of franchise and that didn't work because the Compilation of FFVII was made because FFVII was so beloved, the bad reception of XIII by fans ruined their plans.

jaxword

Anything if they actually make a final fantasy title and not "technology magic 4: let's see how space combines with fantasy once again".

Glad to hear they're going a different direction!

0BXWvZT.jpg

Really forgetting the series' origins there...

KAL2006

Banned
Strange to me that they would go back to a strategy (exusive to a single console) which flopped pretty badly at the beginning of this current gen. Perhaps they are expecting next gen to play out a more one-sided, but I wouldn't count on it.

Maybe its been money hatted, co developed by Sony, also marketing push by Sony. Also it beig co developed by Sony means perhaps FFXV will be a graphics powerhouse (if PS4 is move powerful than 720) meaning they don't target a lower SKU but fully concentrate on PS4 SKU. Maybe Square thought the money hat they got was a good deal after all FF sells more on PS consoles anyway, plus they maybe want the FF IP to be the big IP it once was back in the hey day of the PS2 and PS1 days and to make noise was to make it exclusive and make it be a game that pushes graphics the most in comparison to the competition.

If you think about it, Sony has always had some kind of exclusive agreement on Versus after FFXIII went multiplatform.
Considering that Square was not able to release the game on PS3 (same thing happend for Team Ico and The Last Guardian), Sony probably stepped in and proposed a further deal, that is to co-develop the game if they were willing to switch the platform to PS4 and keep it exclusive.
For Square Enix it's just a winning deal (which is I believe this is actually happening).

yea that makes sense.

I think there's a chance for ND to show something, their second team must have been working on something since Uncharted 3.

depends on the tech situation...I doubt the tech/engine is there yet. I think they might show The Last of Us HD for PS4 but that's about it.

One problem Sony had this gen was they showed too many games and some titles got lost in the hype. Right now they should focus on launch games and launch window games. Showing Uncharted 4 right now makes no sense IMO, they should focus on Ready at Dawn's new game...those guys have been at it for a while

Metaroo

Has another company outside of the Square/Square Enix paradigm ever co-produced a mainline Final Fantasy game? I can't see Squeenix letting this happen without their being something seriously wrong with the production cycle of this game.

Takuya

Banned
depends on the tech situation...I doubt the tech/engine is there yet. I think they might show The Last of Us HD for PS4 but that's about it.

Well, seeing as "main development" of Uncharted 3 ended almost 2 years ago, not hard to think that Naughty Dog's Uncharted team has been working on a PS4 project since (all studios are working on PS4 projects). I do expect either Uncharted 4 is being developed, or a new IP for PS4.

Well, seeing as "main development" of Uncharted 3 ended almost 2 years ago, not hard to think that Naughty Dog's Uncharted team has been working on a PS4 project since (all studios are working on PS4 projects). I do expect either Uncharted 4 is being developed, or a new IP for PS4.

They need to focus on the launch games...Shadow Fall, Drive Club, Battlefield 4, Knack etc and tease some launch window games like Infmaous 4, Ready at Dawn's new game and maybe tease some titles with unknown dates Final Fantasy XV and Gran Turismo 6. That's enough for now IMO. They can show ND's new game next year ;)

ryan13ts

It's totally possible... In fact, it's the only way I see this project actually seeing the light of day. It's still absolutely insane to think that this game has been in development over an entire console generation and still hasn't come out.

It's reaching Duke Nukem level's of development hell at this point.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
They need to focus on the launch games...Shadow Fall, Drive Club, Battlefield 4, Knack etc and tease some launch window games like Infmaous 4, Ready at Dawn's new game and maybe tease some titles with unknown dates Final Fantasy XV and Gran Turismo 6. That's enough for now IMO. They can show ND's new game next year ;)

I'm expecting an announcement trailer for ND's next game, most likely Uncharted 4, at the VGAs this year and a release in Fall 2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom