• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[VGTECH] Crash 4 PS5 / XSX / XSS

Topher

Gold Member
Just like in... photo mode?

Spongebob Squarepants Laughing GIF

Season 5 Nbc GIF by The Office

previous note: cutscenes no longer count
Note: cutscenes = photo mode

Last edited:
Does anyone know if it’s possible to send your save file from a PS5/XSX to PS4/X1? Reason I ask is when I ported my PS4 save, about 70% of my trophies popped a second time, but I’m not going to platinum this game twice on two different systems. The only reason I’d do it at all is for the freebie platinum you get from owning both, but FUCK ME the time sink is hazardous to my health.
Trophies are linked to your PS profile, I still have trophies from the Vita/PS3 days, no PS+ account (well I got 1 month to transfer my saves from PS4 to PS5).

I lost save files a couple of times and my old trophies are still hanging around.

Mr_Potato

Banned

The games are identical... Also, he captured slightly more game frames on the PS5

PlatformsPS5Xbox Series XXbox Series S
Frame Amounts
Game Frames295182936628912
Video Frames297862978629786
Frame Tearing Statistics
Total Torn Frames000
Lowest Torn Line---
Frame Height216021602160
Frame Time Statistics
Mean Frame Time16.82ms16.91ms17.17ms
Median Frame Time16.67ms16.67ms16.67ms
Maximum Frame Time33.33ms33.33ms33.33ms
Minimum Frame Time16.67ms16.67ms16.67ms
95th Percentile Frame Time16.67ms16.67ms16.67ms
99th Percentile Frame Time16.67ms33.33ms33.33ms
Frame Rate Statistics
Mean Frame Rate59.46fps59.15fps58.24fps
Median Frame Rate60fps60fps60fps
Maximum Frame Rate60fps60fps60fps
Minimum Frame Rate41fps39fps30fps
5th Percentile Frame Rate55fps53fps43fps
1st Percentile Frame Rate49fps42fps39fps
Frame Time Counts
16.67ms29250 (99.09%)28946 (98.57%)28038 (96.98%)
33.33ms268 (0.91%)420 (1.43%)874 (3.02%)
Other
Dropped Frames000
Runt Frames000
Runt Frame Thresholds20 rows20 rows20 rows

No they're not identical : "Stuttering unrelated to the frame rate can happen at some points on the Xbox consoles. This issue wasn't encountered on PS5. "

Plus, very slightly inferior framerate on XSX. And apparently slightly inferior shadows too like someone said ? Didn't check shadows.

9M1Ukbu.gif

There's something about stuttering on Series X, nearly every game has some form of stuttering, and PS5 has none. It was true in Valhalla cutscenes too, and other games... We need more tools and RDNA2 smart delivery of the teraflops.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
deffo looks like we see pendulum swings from one console to another in these comparisons. Looking forward to seeing actual next gen games instead of all these last gen ports. What I find interesting is a saw some posts saying that the Xbox handles last gen engines better but it seems to be random on what games swing what way.

Armorian

Banned
Series S pushing the Series X. What a time to be alive...

Someone called it....just had the wrong console it was gonna be pushing.

Resolution of series S version is good match the console power (and that is... rare), while this isn't the case on XSX.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Some ppl are still blind sided, suffering whiplash from the MS pr, PS5 FUD spreading the past 2 years. There needs to be a 12 step program like Narcotics Anonymous, Alcoholic Anonymous for this.

Resolution of series S version is good match the console power (and that is... rare), while this isn't the case on XSX.

Anytime you see me saying the Series S is pushing anything.....please take it as me joking. Someone....I wont mention who....said this with serious intent about that console pushing the PS5.

Now that I think about it...I remember a certain former MS exec saying something similar as far as fps.... Certain ppl really, realy, really need to not get into the fanboy wars. It makes them look extremely silly.

Last edited:
Pretty solid on all.

"Stuttering unrelated to the frame rate can happen at some points on the Xbox consoles. This issue wasn't encountered on PS5. An example of a level that this stuttering was found in is the level Hit The Road."
I wonder if they'll patch that or are they done with it?
Nobody cares about 55-60 frame drops this is just good for console warring,

Console wars is kind of fun in a sense that produces timeless gifs and memes and good laughs but that's about it. Some people in this forum seem to take things on personal level when defending their favourite consoles.

This generation has been VERY KIND AND GRACIOUS to those that can only afford ONLY one console and were worried that their system of choice would deliver a paired back experience in multiplat titles compared to the competition.

Putting all comparisons so far in a single basket the conclusion is that PS5 and Series X are on the same level and each one has it's own strenghts and weaknesses that will manifest themselves on specific ocasions in a way that is so minimal that nobody will be disappointed.

Mr_Potato

Banned
Console wars is kind of fun in a sense that produces timeless gifs and memes and good laughs but that's about it. Some people in this forum seem to take things on personal level when defending their favourite consoles.

This generation has been VERY KIND AND GRACIOUS to those that can only afford ONLY one console and were worried that their system of choice would deliver a paired back experience in multiplat titles compared to the competition.

Putting all comparisons so far in a single basket the conclusion is that PS5 and Series X are on the same level and each one has it's own strenghts and weaknesses that will manifest themselves on specific ocasions in a way that is so minimal that nobody will be disappointed.

Sure, on that we can all agree. Both consoles are very close.

it's not frame drops (well XSX also has frame drops, but they're minor), it's stuttering. Stuttering is always obvious and it's a problem, unlike minor frame drops.
Theyd have to patch it if its major but it could be pointless since this are crossgen games like ive always said and even the remedy dev said recently suffer in nextgen consoles because of how they where made with old engines, apis, and so on,

Same problems happen on ps5 games having lower resolution than series x this isnt the consoles fault its those crossgen games and their code. Sometimes developers dont fix the issues because it takes more time and resources i personally just pray this crossgen era ends and we start comparing real nextgen games.

But about the stutters on series consoles i have a hunch its the io as you can see on this video at 5:20 it starts dropping soon as crash tales an elevator, on control its the same thing whenever level/asset streaming occurs every console including pc drops fps but not the ps5 so this might be an inherent io problem that people will have to live by.

Mr_Potato

Banned
If you didn't notice, both consoles drop frames in cutscenes. PS5 sometimes even more than Xbox.
And no, I'm enjoying my Playstation and Xbox consoles just fine, thanks for your concern.

The problem is the stuttering more than the frame drops, and there's none on PS5 :

"Stuttering unrelated to the frame rate can happen at some points on the Xbox consoles. This issue wasn't encountered on PS5. "

Stuttering is a lot more perceptible than rare frame drops at 60 fps.

Last edited:

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
If you didn't notice, both consoles drop frames in cutscenes. PS5 sometimes even more than Xbox.
And no, I'm enjoying my Playstation and Xbox consoles just fine, thanks for your concern.
Actually i didnt notice....im too busy having fun actually playing games instead of looking for little meaningless shit to nitpick about like you

Just going by specs the Series X should be ahead in framerate during those drops. A little strange that it isn't. The game is almost identical on both platforms except for the difference in shadow quality.

It would be nice to have an explanation.

Its a bigger gap than it looks. Based on the video it shows when both the XSX and PS5 drop in the same pattern the PS5 holds a 5-10 fps advantage when both are locked to 60 it would be logical that the PS5 could push more frames. The result is the total frames at the end are skewed in favor of the XSX. This is further cemented by the 1st and 5th percentile gap. Pretty easy win for the PS5 especially when you throw in better shadows, loading and Dual Sense features.

this has nothing to do with hardware. It’s a developer problem.

Jaysen

Banned
Nice cherry picking in this thread, I guess ps5 needs a win after several losses recently.
Cutscenes don't mean much, but on XSX, most levels in the second grouping of levels has really bad slowdown during gameplay at times that doesn't exist on the PS5. That's on the developer not the console. And this isn't the only game where the perceived CPU difference didn't show up. I played Immortals on PS5 and XSX and it's much much better on PS5. The XSX versions tears practically the entire time and has more frame rate issues than PS5. Oddly enough, the Xbox version loads much faster than the PS5 version. I'll chalk both issues up to cross-gen development issues.

Last edited:

Md Ray

It would be nice to have an explanation.
RX 6800 here has 50% more CUs and more TFLOPs than 6700 XT yet the smaller GPU is right on the bigger GPU's heels due to 6700 XT's higher clock speed.
Again, different games will favor different parts of the GPU. Same res on both PS5 and XSX, it's PS5 that comes out on top with a higher frame-rate due to its GPU being faster than XSX in rasterization and whatnot.

Godfall_1440p.png

Look at RX 6800 vs 6700 XT. The 6800 has 50% more CUs, but the clock speed on 6700 XT is so high that it basically brings its performance on par with the bigger, more expensive 6800 GPU in this particular game. Of course, not every game runs like this but you get the idea.

Last edited:

Renozokii

Not that mind blowing when developers have vocalized that the tools have played a major role, more so than the difference in teraflops. Sony's tools are quite familiar and work with existing code, whereas MS implemented something that makes sense in the long run, but will require a reworking of the code in order to take advantage of specific features in Series X. -Control Dev-
But then the same dev also stated the series s was going to gimp next gen development. Even if third parties start dumping it Microsoft won’t for at least a few years.

So here’s my basic takeaway from reading what Xbox fanboys say.
At some unknown point in the near future, MS will have their “tool situation” all figured out. From that point, the full power of the series x will be on display. So third parties in some cases will marginally run better on the xbox. Meanwhile Sony’s devs tools for the ps5 will apparently have been frozen in time and will not improve in anyway. So at some point in the future where Sony has stopped trying to make the tools for their console better, dynamic resolutions will slightly favor Xbox. I don’t think a single non bc game has been favored on Xbox Series x in terms of frame rate so far so let’s assume that stays the same or at worst they are identical.

Even in this dream scenario we are talking about tiny differences in resolutions that are variable, where the ps5 may or may not dip down lower than the Xbox, however the ps5 will have as stable or a more stable frame rate, as well as dual sense support which is literally the most innovative thing I’ve seen so far this gen. the ps5 should also have better loading time and texture streaming across the board. For me even in the ideal scenario for Xbox, I’m still pretty sure I’d much prefer the ps5. Microsoft marketed the thing as so powerful and THE best place to play third parties, but that seems to be increasingly untrue. I’d have to see a game running at 4K at 60fps on Xbox and 30fps on ps5 before all that Xbox series x power gap shit actually matters I think.

And rounding back to my original point, in comparison to Sony’s first parties, Xbox first party titles will be at least somewhat limited in how ambitious they can be because no way in hell Microsoft lets even a single developer skip the series s. So first parties are just going to be across the board more impressive on ps5. And I’m basing that off the same source you are.

Man if you don’t absolutely love gamepass it must really suck being an Xbox guy this gen.

Jaysen

Banned
Nobody cares about 55-60 frame drops this is just good for console warring,
Mario Kart on Wii U dropped one frame every now and then and it bothered the shit outa me. Fortunately it got fixed on Switch. A drop from 60 of any kind is noticeable. People saying this is across all games on XSX are wrong. I had zero issues with Hivebusters or Horizon 4. This is most likely a case of MS needing to support third party devs better. Crash should not have been released like this on XSX.

Last edited:

J_Gamer.exe

Another 0.1% win for the PS5? Time for a 10+ page thread :messenger_beaming:
Another loss for the worlds most powerful console.

Its only real wins are bc games that have bad ports to ps5 or devs has quickly upped the pro versions.

All launch games mostly better on ps5 given they were actually planned to realese from the start and have had suitable time and devs working on them properly.

The quick ports are where xbox has more options and is easier given the pc like path its gone on.

Also your not very good with percentages, at times its a pretty big difference in framerate. Like 10+ fps difference.

MonarchJT

Banned
Even better, as they're like-for-like with the same rendering load like a benchmark.

Yes, the 6800 non-XT's clock speed is lower than 6700 XT but the computational power (TFLOPs) is still higher on the bigger GPU due to more cores. Despite this, the smaller GPU is on par 6800 here. It's the same way PS5's smaller GPU can be on par or perform better than XSX GPU due to higher clock speed like in this game and others.

As for the 980 Ti, maybe they've found a very demanding sequence to benchmark at 1440p?
I'm bookmarking this benchmark comment ;)

SkylineRKR

Pretty good Series S version, then. Hits the original 1440p advertised resolution which is a considerable jump over the One X version that sometimes even dropped below 1080p. Framerate on S seems to be good.

MonarchJT

Banned
Not that mind blowing when developers have vocalized that the tools have played a major role, more so than the difference in teraflops. Sony's tools are quite familiar and work with existing code, whereas MS implemented something that makes sense in the long run, but will require a reworking of the code in order to take advantage of specific features in Series X. -Control Dev-
this...next year those thread will be much more boring with consoles that mirror closer to their specs and roughly the same as we had in the last 3 years......then Ill ask to some where the famous "cerny magic" has ended ))

Last edited:

MadViking

Cutscenes don't mean much, but on XSX, most levels in the second grouping of levels has really bad slowdown during gameplay at times that doesn't exist on the PS5. That's on the developer not the console. And this isn't the only game where the perceived CPU difference didn't show up. I played Immortals on PS5 and XSX and it's much much better on PS5. The XSX versions tears practically the entire time and has more frame rate issues than PS5. Oddly enough, the Xbox version loads much faster than the PS5 version. I'll chalk both issues up to cross-gen development issues.
Point taken. And I can't wait to get ps5 for myself, but I'm not paying scalpers price. Recently the availability is getting better so hopefully I can get one soon.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Another loss for the worlds most powerful console.

Its only real wins are bc games that have bad ports to ps5 or devs has quickly upped the pro versions.

All launch games mostly better on ps5 given they were actually planned to realese from the start and have had suitable time and devs working on them properly.

The quick ports are where xbox has more options and is easier given the pc like path its gone on.

Also your not very good with percentages, at times its a pretty big difference in framerate. Like 10+ fps difference.

aren't all the wins for either consoles games that are cross gen?

oh sorry i re read your post. how do we know the xbox port of crash 4 isnt a bad port for the xbox?

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Haven't watched the video yet. Previous comparison videos showed different shadow settings b/w the two consoles. Did VGTech present similar findings?

Mario Kart on Wii U dropped one frame every now and then and it bothered the shit outa me. Fortunately it got fixed on Switch. A drop from 60 of any kind is noticeable. People saying this is across all games on XSX are wrong. I had zero issues with Hivebusters or Horizon 4. This is most likely a case of MS needing to support third party devs better. Crash should not have been released like this on XSX.
your either playing games with binoculars, confusing stutters/ screen tear or with a frame counter on screen or maybe people are different cause i only notice 55-60 drops when digital foundry have a frame counter without the frame counters the game looks similar to me.

Top Bottom