• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[VGTECH] Crash 4 PS5 / XSX / XSS

Jaysen

Banned
your either playing games with binoculars, confusing stutters/ screen tear or with a frame counter on screen or maybe people are different cause i only notice 55-60 drops when digital foundry have a frame counter without the frame counters the game looks similar to me.
You don’t need binoculars to see a frame drop. You actually feel it.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
deffo looks like we see pendulum swings from one console to another in these comparisons. Looking forward to seeing actual next gen games instead of all these last gen ports. What I find interesting is a saw some posts saying that the Xbox handles last gen engines better but it seems to be random on what games swing what way.
I think this will be the trend for pretty much the entire gen. Credible insiders told us pre-launch that this is the closest the two consoles have ever been. It will keep shifting on a per-game basis.

Later in the gen, however, I do think there is a chance that UE5 games might run better on PS5 than XSX (because of virtualized geometry and how they customized UE5 based on PS5 tech). But that'll be it, if it comes to that. No clear winner this gen, and that's a good thing.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I think this will be the trend for pretty much the entire gen. Credible insiders told us pre-launch that this is the closest the two consoles have ever been. It will keep shifting on a per-game basis.

Later in the gen, however, I do think there is a chance that UE5 games might run better on PS5 than XSX (because of virtualized geometry and how they customized UE5 based on PS5 tech). But that'll be it, if it comes to that. No clear winner this gen, and that's a good thing.

Yep, this could deffo be the case. I'm looking forward to the true next gen games so we can actually see what these consoles can do. They are so close its amazing for both sides. PS5 is keeping up on the GPU side and the xbox is keeping up on the SSD size. can't complain at all.

n0body

Banned
So this is the whiplash response for the Marvel thread, huh?

Take a win where you can get one, I guess...

Topher

Gold Member
higher efficiency? pulled out of your ass i suppose?

no , and that's exactly the point. It would be better to have a DEV explain why things are different

Note: game graphical comparisons should have dev explanations as to why things are different

Season 5 Nbc GIF by The Office

this...next year those thread will be much more boring with consoles that mirror closer to their specs and roughly the same as we had in the last 3 years......then Ill ask to some where the famous "cerny magic" has ended ))
Holding such assumptions is very dangerous as cerny has made all skeptics and fanboys look stupid and retarded already, if i where you id have learnt my lesson and just kept quiet cause if history has taught me anything is you might be blaming tools for the next 7 years if ps5 keeps outperforming series x. Just dont be a victim of marketing and wait for actuall nextgen games to make comparisons.

Those buzzwords about teraflops and vrs are just dejavu as lastgens buzzwords like dx12 and the cloud, being humble goes a long way remember this is engineering not hiphop and someone like cerny knows what hes doing more than anybody in here or digital foundry so i suggest you hold ur horses before you get embarassed again like those idiots screaming 12 teraflops and all the buzzwords on tweeter

Last edited:

n0body

Banned
Tonnes of developers have remember cryteks engineer ali salehi. Well they crucified him to the point that he got censored so no developer will talk again, but heres claybook developer. The guy who made the first raytracing game on ps4 and xbone

Holding such assumptions is very dangerous as cerny has made all skeptics and fanboys look stupid and retarded already, if i where you id have learnt my lesson and just kept quiet cause if history has taught me anything is you might be blaming tools for the next 7 years if ps5 keeps outperforming series x. Just dont be a victim of marketing and wait for actuall nextgen games to make comparisons.

Those buzzwords about teraflops and vrs are just dejavu as lastgens buzzwords like dx12 and the cloud, being humble goes a long way remember this is engineering not hiphop and someone like cerny knows what hes doing more than anybody in here or digital foundry so i suggest you hold ur horses before you get embarassed again like those idiots screaming 12 teraflops and all the buzzwords on tweeter
Tell me you don't know what you're talking about, without telling me you don't know what you're talking about.

Note: game graphical comparisons should have dev explanations as to why things are different

Tonnes of developers have remember cryteks engineer ali salehi. Well they crucified him to the point that he got censored so no developer will talk again, but heres claybook developer. The guy who made the first raytracing game on ps4 and xbone
AtSyuRs.jpg
Xf7YYlK.jpg

II_JumPeR_I

Not going to happen lol

J_Gamer.exe

aren't all the wins for either consoles games that are cross gen?

oh sorry i re read your post. how do we know the xbox port of crash 4 isnt a bad port for the xbox?

Tbh id expect a ps4 game to be easier to port to ps5, but the drops we have seen on xbox and stuttering are not a one off.

On some last gen games porting to xbox is easier and xbox can make changes easier to bc games where ps5 needs a patch.

Obviously people have celebrated those wins but they were nowt to do with power really when its done with bc in mind and if ps5 is missing out due to lack of bc options.

We should of course take in mind that the launch games would have had more development time with devs working in offices for a bit before the pandemic begun. Since then lots of devs still working from home so depending on the team, engine, lead platform etc... this will have an affect. For eg if its easy to make a game on xbox given the pc like path, on ps5 they may just get it running as a higher ps4 pro game effectively we have seen this happen.

So neither console is really being pushed still until its an actual next gen game.

But we've had enough examples of games now, newer ones for the launch, bc ports and quick 'native' ports, to see that the xbox has some issues that keep happening that shouldn't if people believed the power narrative.

When devs has had time on both and seemingly got both running as best they could with a cross gen game, its trading blows with ps5 often on top. Xbox has been better probably with more quick patches to old games with just lacking the options to tweak it, not hardware related often.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

Sadly, some dont want this. No clear winner (for Series X) means something is wrong in the universe. Cant accept that MS and Sony just took 2 different paths to basically the same destination.

So many notes, so lil time...

The end of faceoff, analysis threads. Please continue. If this is the case.....what does this mean for DF threads?!?!? The time has come for NXGamer to take over the mantle. Rise...rise like the Phoenix!!!!!

Also...I wonder if its time to re vist the Control DF thread about the photomode benchmark....

Last edited:

Lysandros

Sadly, some dont want this. No clear winner (for Series X) means something is wrong in the universe. Cant accept that MS and Sony just took 2 different paths to basically the same destination.

So many notes, so lil time...

The end of faceoff, analysis threads. Please continue. If this is the case.....what does this mean for DF threads?!?!? The time has come for NXGamer to take over the mantle. Rise...rise like the Phoenix!!!!!

Also...I wonder if its time to re vist the Control DF thread about the photomode benchmark....
DF never fails to deliver, even with such small difference favoring PS5 in this game, they were wise enough to compare it to the Switch version first instead of XSX. Passing time can always bring a patch or a photo mode who knows..

geordiemp

Just going by specs the Series X should be ahead in framerate during those drops. A little strange that it isn't. The game is almost identical on both platforms except for the difference in shadow quality.

It would be nice to have an explanation.

If you compare a 13 TF 6700 vs a 20 TF 3070, there can be close in allot of games and its a 7 TF difference, almost 50 % more for the Nvidia card . Fast vs wide and slow.

Now look at Ps5 vs XSX while considering 3070 and 6700. There you go.

6700 vs 3070 is a 50 %TF difference in favour of NVidia, but AMD has the GHz, and both use the same Tools. What does it tell you.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Unfortunately, Xbox's entire marketing strategy was "power" and performance gains over PS5. Some hardcore fanboys gobbled that up and made big claims. If for whatever reason, those claims don't come to fruition, that would mean a 'defeat' and, worse, an acceptance of that defeat.

That really shouldn't be the case though. I hope people realize this.

Don’t you know by now? Any game where ps5 pulls ahead. It’s poor tools or lazy devs. Any game where series x pulls ahead it’s 12 tf monster.

Just looking at how well the game performs on both platforms it doesn't seem like a lazy port to me. It appears that the developers did a pretty good job with this one.

I guess some people were expecting a 1440P vs 4K kind of a difference and are disappointed with that.

Lysandros

Just looking at how well the game performs on both platforms it doesn't seem like a lazy port to me. It appears that the developers did a pretty good job with this one.

I guess some people were expecting a 1440P vs 4K kind of a difference and are disappointed with that.
Some people were expecting this kind of difference because of 50 FPS on GPU alone, thankfully they are all hospitalized by now.

Md Ray

this...next year those thread will be much more boring with consoles that mirror closer to their specs and roughly the same as we had in the last 3 years......then Ill ask to some where the famous "cerny magic" has ended ))
Doubt it. There just isn't as big of a difference between PS5/XSX GPU as it was between PS4 Pro and XB1X. And we can see this already.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I know because the shadows on the XSX are the same as the shadows on the One S.
Isn't it ironic that minor details such as shadows can be easily identified across generations, but when PS5 is using the same resolution settings as the PS4 Pro in a game, that gets completely ignored for comparison purposes, e.g., Division 2, Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order, Avengers, etc.

Trophies are linked to your PS profile, I still have trophies from the Vita/PS3 days, no PS+ account (well I got 1 month to transfer my saves from PS4 to PS5).

I lost save files a couple of times and my old trophies are still hanging around.
The trophy lists for Crash 4 (PS5) and Crash 4 (PS4) are separate. But it appears your save progress is unilateral, meaning if I platinum the game on PS5, I can't then transfer that save to the PS4 version and pop the trophies - they all have to be re-earned. But the opposite is the case if you start on PS4, platinum the game, then transfer your save to PS5.

My dilemma is wanting to play with the added PS5 benefits but knowing I'm foregoing a second platinum because saves can't be transferred the other direction. Personally it shouldn't have been two separate lists to begin with: if you own the PS4 version, you get the PS5 version for free. So why give them a second trophy list if they just pop anyway upon transferring your save data?

MonarchJT

Banned
Doubt it. There just isn't as big of a difference between PS5/XSX GPU as it was between PS4 Pro and XB1X. And we can see this already.
tf are just a part of it. no?
btw can't wait to see next batch of gen games. already bored of the crs gen discussions

Last edited:
There's no doubt that the widespread claim that XSX would outpace the PS5 in all games due to 18% higher GPU processing was false. Now we need to see how they stack up when games tap next gen asset management which is what PS5 was designed for. Will there be advantages thanks to significant differences in I/O? UE5 will be a good early test.

MonarchJT

Banned
If you compare a 13 TF 6700 vs a 20 TF 3070, there can be close in allot of games and its a 7 TF difference, almost 50 % more for the Nvidia card . Fast vs wide and slow.

Now look at Ps5 vs XSX while considering 3070 and 6700. There you go.

6700 vs 3070 is a 50 %TF difference in favour of NVidia, but AMD has the GHz, and both use the same Tools. What does it tell you.
tells that old games do not take full advantage of parallelization (on top of all the new gpu features). the new engines including ue5 will do it and you will see the difference. be sure.

Last edited:
There's no doubt that the widespread claim that XSX would outpace the PS5 in all games due to 18% higher GPU processing was false. Now we need to see how they stack up when games tap next gen asset management which is what PS5 was designed for. Will there be advantages thanks to significant differences in I/O? UE5 will be a good early test.

What I would really like to see the UE5 demo on the XSX to see what the differences are. Very curious how it was first shown on tbe PS5.

Did Sony bribe Epic to do that or is the UE5 really designed to take advantage of the PS5s I/O?

I'm interested in seeing what the results will be.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
What I would really like to see the UE5 demo on the XSX to see what the differences are. Very curious how it was first shown on tbe PS5.

Did Sony bribe Epic to do that or is the UE5 really designed to take advantage of the PS5s I/O?

I'm interested in seeing what the results will be.
Here's your answer: Epic Games Had to Tweak Unreal Engine 5 to Catch Up With PS5

“The ability to stream in content at extreme speeds enables developers to create denser and more detailed environments, changing how we think about streaming content. It’s so impactful that we’ve rewritten our core I/O subsystems for Unreal Engine with the PlayStation 5 in mind.” -- Nick Penwarden, VP of engineering at Epic Games

Here's your answer: Epic Games Had to Tweak Unreal Engine 5 to Catch Up With PS5

“The ability to stream in content at extreme speeds enables developers to create denser and more detailed environments, changing how we think about streaming content. It’s so impactful that we’ve rewritten our core I/O subsystems for Unreal Engine with the PlayStation 5 in mind.” -- Nick Penwarden, VP of engineering at Epic Games

I saw that before but some are calling it BS. I guess the games will show if it's true or not.

Md Ray

tf are just a part of it. no?
I'm talking about memory bandwidth too. X1X had 50% more of it when compared to Pro, which is huge.

What's the bandwidth difference like with PS5/XSX? 25% at best. The 6GB segment is actually slower than PS5 by -25%, not all of it is faster like it was last-gen. One X had a clear advantage over Pro from day 1 in hardware and it showed.

PS5 has some advantages over Series X in some aspects and it shows in many games. Similarly, Series X has some advantages over PS5 in some aspects and it shows in those other games. Like my first post in this thread said, "different games will favor different parts of the GPU".

Nyxir

Wonder how true this is. Marketing. Sony stock money. Or full on 100% truth.
Only time will tell. Hopefully by the time I get my hands on one there is an UE 5 game on it. Exciting times!

Wonder how true this is. Marketing. Sony stock money. Or full on 100% truth.
Only time will tell. Hopefully by the time I get my hands on one there is an UE 5 game on it. Exciting times!

You're right it could be a bunch of BS. But I don't think Sony would work on the I/O so much if there wasn't any truth to it. Seems like they are betting pretty big on it.

We already have one game showing those next-gen dense worlds: Demon's souls. And that's only the beginning. I am expecting their second game (Metal Gear Solid remake?) to be even more impressive.

Some are writing off Demon Souls because it's a remake of an old game. But it still is very impressive and hopefully is a sign of things to come.

Top Bottom