• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VICE Gaming Meets: Zoe Quinn

stuminus3

New game looks bananas but I'm curious. I still use Depression Quest as a reference point when trying to explain depression to people who don't suffer from it because the central mechanic of options being crossed out as the player progresses is a pretty spot-on way to describe it.

Kilau

Gold Member
I've never heard of Chuck Tingle and the game looks pretty strange, but i'll give it a shot.

Thanks to Vice I have a good understanding on what gamergate is, really freaking horrible.

Spenny

I'm glad Zoe is making a new game. It's also pretty cool to see Cohen Edenfield is working with her. I'm definitely gonna be checking this game out.

So, will this be sort of like the guest columnist feature Austin created while at Giant Bomb (but in video form)? That is a pretty cool feature (and is still on-going, despite Austin leaving Giant Bomb for Vice Gaming). It makes sense that he would introduce a similar thing at Vice Gaming.

Fury451

Banned
That like to dislike ratio. Wow.

Thanks for the video OP, will watch it in full later, but the first few minutes; that game looks like something else lol. I appreciate experimenting in the medium at least.

Also that Chuck Tingle Tae Kwon Doe picture looked like Jon Hamm for a second.

Not to shit on Vice, but they really are popping up alot around here or is it just me starting to notice?

They have, yeah. Growing audience, appeal to the average Gaf ages or a bit younger I imagine, and they research more offbeat stuff so it makes sense.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
The Youtube comments are as pleasant to read as Youtube comments can be.

I know they are turned off (for good reasons). That's the joke.

Will watch this later

aeolist

Banned
Not to shit on Vice, but they really are popping up alot around here or is it just me starting to notice?

they're just starting to hire more people for their gaming site and produce more pieces, so there's more of them to go around now

I've never heard of Chuck Tingle and the game looks pretty strange, but i'll give it a shot.

Thanks to Vice I have a good understanding on what gamergate is, really freaking horrible.

Search for his name on Amazon.

Experience mind melting joy, revulsion, and hilarity.

I just finished watching this, and it was a good video. I hope this series continues regularly on the site. As for the actual game, it looks fine. I consider myself to be a pretty big fan of FMV games, but doesn't really seem like it's for me. I felt the same way about Roundabout when that came out. Depression Quest was good, though! So, I may reconsider when this thing actually releases.

I'm glad she's getting back into game development. It can't be easy, considering all of the shit-heads that live on the internet. Chuck Tingle is such a dumb subject for a video game; I'm glad it exists.

I think that's to be expected now that they're taking gaming a little more seriously. Hiring Austin and Patrick was a great move for the brand. They're well known and beloved journalists in the industry, so, now that they're working for Vice, people are starting to pay more attention

They have, yeah. Growing audience, appeal to the average Gaf ages or a bit younger I imagine, and they research more offbeat stuff so it makes sense.

I'm curious to know what you'd think that. If anything, I would imagine they're going to do more cerebral pieces, which frankly won't appeal to people who are "a bit younger."

I'd also put the uptick in their notoriety down to Austin Walker and Patrick Klepek being there now. They were both fairly prominent Giant Bomb personalities, and that site seems to have a fairly big influence in the industry.

Yeah, this is a game that's just clearly not for me. I can respect that some people will enjoy it, but for me, the idea and costumes kind of made me cringe.

man people disliking the video.

man fuck those people.

From watching the video I don't think I'm a fan of Zoe or any of the games shown in the video, but I had to give it a like for that reason.

Also that quote of hers about a group of gamers wanting games to stay limited to certain type of experience resonated with me (especially attributing that to part of the hate of GG).

Mechazawa

A Chuck Tingle video game by Zoe Quinn.

It's like the world's most potent formula for buttblasting the alt-right
In my Butt

Yeah, this is a game that's just clearly not for me. I can respect that some people will enjoy it, but for me, the idea and costumes kind of made me cringe.

If you check out the source material, what she's making makes a lot more sense. The source material probably won't make any sense still (Unless you're turned on by Man-planes, and erotic gorilla sommeliers), but it puts her things in context.

Fury451

Banned
I'm curious to know what you'd think that. If anything, I would imagine they're going to do more cerebral pieces, which frankly won't appeal to people who are "a bit younger."

I'd also put the uptick in their notoriety down to Austin Walker and Patrick Klepek being there now. They were both fairly prominent Giant Bomb personalities, and that site seems to have a fairly big influence in the industry.

Sure, I didn't meantime imply that anything that I said with a negative, or to say that their audience is limited only to younger people. I think Vice tends to pursue more interesting topics that most people don't have exposure to, and Gaf tends to be a curious forum that likes to research and explore a lot of aspects of issues and things. I think they cover topics and interests that more mainstream new sources don't so they are becoming a lot more popular and well known.

I tend to watch at least one or two of their documentary pieces weekly, and they seem to be growing more prominent on my social media feed with others sharing their videos and articles regularly also.

Holy shit, why so many youtube dislikes?

GamerGate, Zoe Quinn. Misogyny basically.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Nice little video, and I wish Zoe all the best with her work.

What happened to her was ridiculous and unwarranted, and I can't help but feel almost entirely the result of the collision of larger forces all of whom had a vested interest in turning her life/career into a socio-political flashpoint.

Sure, I didn't meantime imply that anything that I said with a negative, or to say that there audience is limited only to younger people. I think Vice tends to pursue more interesting topics that most people don't have exposure to, and Gaf tends to be a curious forum that likes to research and explore a lot of aspects of issues and things. I think they cover topics and interests that more mainstream new sources don't.

I tend to watch at least one or two of their documentary pieces weekly, they seem to be growing more prominent on my social media feed with other sharing their videos and articles also.

I didn't mean to suggest that you were saying something insulting either. I've just been pondering the "Vice Gaming" (Whatever they end up calling it) audience, and wondering who will be interested.

I will be, but I often find that deep dive commentary on games or looking at things from unique angles tends to not attract a lot of traffic. So I was more interested to know what you thought might bring young people to them. I do agree that they're certainly not going to bring in any "mainstream" traffic, but I wonder if most young people (teens and younger I'm thinking), and probably going to ignore something like Vice in favor of your typical IGN type sites, or just youtubers. Just thinking out loud and was curious to know if I had missed something. We shall see what they end up being!

kubus

That was a really good video. Happy to zee Zoe working on games again. I have nothing but the utmost respect for her returning to video games after all the shit she's been through.

The game looks super whacky but fun. I think I would feel a little too uncomfortable playing it though :p.

Is this the first bit of Vice Gaming content? How do I follow what they do? Something I can subscribe to? Zoe's great, awesome video.

Toxi

Banned
A Chuck Tingle game?

I can't tell whether I should be confused, pleased, horrified, or some combination of the above.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Man, I'm glad to see that she seems to be doing well. I almost dated her back when she lived in Toronto, and the few times we met or talked, she seemed like such a great person. She's due for some good karma.

Toxi

Banned
81PXWf6uKVL._SL1500_.jpg

chuck-tingle5.jpg

besada

Banned
Chuck and Zoe are best Buckaroos! They dual handedly took down Devilman and his minions. Now they return to pound us in the butt with their love some more!

Top Bottom