• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VICE: The Strange Inside Story of the Never-Released Fantastic Four Movie from 1994

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
http://www.vice.com/read/rememberin...-was-supposedly-too-shitty-to-be-released-265

The WHOLE MOVIE is there too.

remembering-the-1994-fantastic-four-movie-that-was-supposedly-too-shitty-to-be-released-265-body-image-1437782039-size_1000.jpg

Its officially unreleased status puts it in rarified cinematic company—most films that are finished are distributed in some form. The most famous unseen disaster is surely Jerry Lewis's 1972 Holocaust comedy The Day the Clown Cried, which has been locked away in a vault by Lewis himself, never to be seen by anyone again if he can help it. The Fantastic Four was apparently so awful that it's not in a vault—the original negative was supposedly burned by the rights-holders. Could that mean it's actually worse than The Day the Clown Cried?

Twenty years later, a more complete version of the The Fantastic Four story has slowly been pieced together by geek historians, and its much more complicated than the simple myth of a Fantastic Four movie that was so shitty it had to be literally killed with fire.

The RedLetterMedia folks watched it and quite liked it. If I remember correctly, you can tell that everyone is trying to make it a good product even though, with it's budget and surrounding issues, it was never going to be one. Because of this, the film has quite a bit of charm and heart.

You can find there take here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-O_RzwrZPw

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Watched it ages ago. It's what you'd expect from a low-budget superhero movie made in the 90s.

Edit: Someone made a documentary about it? I don't know how necessary that is. Anyone could've found a copy to watch if they knew where to look. At least the doc looks like it was better filmed than the Death of Superman Lives.

styl3s

what about 70s Spiderman tho. They were actually almost decent, all considered

spidermovies_movie2a_big.jpg
I rented a view VHS tapes of this when i was a kid at blockbuster back in like the 91-92 and really enjoyed it but i was also a stupid kid and my memory is extremely fuzzy since that was like 25-26 years ago but i think they even did a take on the clone saga in it.

I actually enjoyed the never released Fantastic four movie for what it was and what it was trying to be and all things considered (budget etc). I think there is a documentary or an upcoming documentary about the making of the movie i forgot the name but it's been in development for a long time.

But no one wants to talk about the original live action justice league movie

Justice-League-movie-970x545.jpg
It wasn't a movie it was a horribly failed pilot that was turned into a "tv movie"

But no one wants to talk about the original live action justice league movie

Justice-League-movie-970x545.jpg

So apparently the Justice League is an armored Atom (inspiration for Arrow?), Poison Ivy (???), Flash (a pretty overweight one too), a Blue Lantern (????), and Killer Frost (??????).

Edit: What's with this "if you know where to look" the fucking thing's on YouTube for god's sake.

Ahasverus

Er... i didn't want to straight say where, in case it was seen as promoting digital piracy. Now we're in the NSA list. Thanks ¬¬
From the article
Indeed, Constantin Film, the company formerly known as Neue Constantin Film, which owns the rights to The Fantastic Four, doesn't seem interested in sending takedown notices to the sites that host bootleg versions of the film.
is it wrong I want to watch the 70's Doctor Stragne? Doesn't look that bad

Slayven

We live in a blessed time where film makers are making great comic movies with respect to the source. The X-men movies are pretty good too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom