• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Victory! Rian Johnson will no longer destroy more Star Wars (Mod Edit: Confirmed False)

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Here, it feels like a genuine offer and Driver sells it

merely doing what Vader did in ESB but with a mask off for "selling it". i will admit Driver is an excellent actor, and the acting is entirely what the ST is leaning on. but there is little else beside expertly "selling it". "join me we will rule the galaxy together we don't need anyone" this is exactly what Vader sold to Luke ~40 years ago.

he's furious that Rey, the only person left he felt he could trust, betrayed him which adds to his fury when he sees the Falcon

he trusted the person who one movie prior helped blow up his Death Star? the person who humiliated him while his master watched? ok lol.

i don't buy it. Kylo Ren isn't really as complicated or deep as people like to pretend he is. he is Vader with a mask off, going through the same old motions. instead of choking a guy out (cos Disney) he throws a temper tantrum and slashes up an elevator. not really that different except his violent outbursts are now played for laughs instead of demonstrating the practical fear the Empire inflicts on everyone, even itself.

the thing between him and Rey, i don't buy it either. the two actors should be in a romantic drama comedy or something. Luke was never in danger of wanting to bang his father.

Last edited:

Aurelian

my friends call me "Cunty"
merely doing what Vader did in ESB but with a mask off for "selling it". i will admit Driver is an excellent actor, and the acting is entirely what the ST is leaning on. but there is little else beside expertly "selling it". "join me we will rule the galaxy together we don't need anyone" this is exactly what Vader sold to Luke ~40 years ago.

he trusted the person who one movie prior helped blow up his Death Star? the person who humiliated him while his master watched? ok lol.

i don't buy it. Kylo Ren isn't really as complicated or deep as people like to pretend he is. he is Vader with a mask off, going through the same old motions. instead of choking a guy out (cos Disney) he throws a temper tantrum and slashes up an elevator. not really that different except his violent outbursts are now played for laughs instead of demonstrating the practical fear the Empire inflicts on everyone, even itself.

the thing between him and Rey, i don't buy it either. the two actors should be in a romantic drama comedy or something. Luke was never in danger of wanting to bang his father.

I wouldn't really say "cos Disney," because that fight scene in Snoke's throne room is pretty violent. You see one of the guards turned into mulch, for goodness' sake! I suspect it was more to give Kylo Ren his own style of embracing the dark side -- he's wild and impulsive where Vader was focused. It does lead to scenes that are comedic, but at the same time, it's not as if comedy hasn't been a mainstay of the series from the beginning.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Vader was not focused, he kept killing his own people.

Disney is fine with minimizing violence & glorifying it. in the OT it had real consequences. Obi Wan has to sit the fuck down cos people were killed. in ST we watch 5 planets get wiped away and nobody even mentions it. guess you can tap into the force only for the super powers now.

Kylo Ren is "Vader but acted better". it is not hard to act better than someone who has his face covered with a mask.

Last edited:
S

slugbahr

Unconfirmed Member
I specifically quoted that exact post and addressed it. Don't demand respect and then pretend that I'm not doing exactly as you asked.

No. You didn't. You didn't answer the question. You decided to try to deconstruct the question.
Your usual random gibberish "objectivity is impossible!".

Congratulations, you're my first (and hopefully last)!

Doom85

You throw out an absolute statement with "What the fuck do you not understand about that being objectively bad?" that is objectively false based on the definition of the word "objective". That's not deconstructing the question, that's pointing out your question makes no sense. That's just as absurd a question as asking, "was Brad Pitt the greatest Prime Minister of Japan?" and then getting mad that I'm "not answering the question" as opposed to simply pointing out that, in the words of Luke Skywalker himself, "every word of what you just said was wrong."

#Phonepunk#

Banned
It’s telling that all the actors in the new series have wanted out after IX. With the originals the actors all loved working together and told Lucas they’d be down to work w him for decades. With these there really hasn’t been any comradery, everyone just want to cash their pay check and get out. It comes through in the films

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned
Vader was not focused, he kept killing his own people.

Disney is fine with minimizing violence & glorifying it. in the OT it had real consequences. Obi Wan has to sit the fuck down cos people were killed. in ST we watch 5 planets get wiped away and nobody even mentions it. guess you can tap into the force only for the super powers now.

Kylo Ren is "Vader but acted better". it is not hard to act better than someone who has his face covered with a mask.

In what universe is Kylo Ren anywhere near as memorable as Vader. Every single line of Vader in the OT is memorable. The delivery, the body language. What the hell is this nonsense?

Kylo Ren is an insufferable garbage character... like everyone in the sequel trilogy. They even managed to ruin the original cast.

There are ONLY six Star Wars movies.

To think it took Disney 5 years to bury it after 40 years of it being a monster ip. Even Star Wars game releases were a huge thing. Now it’s all went to crap. Merchandise sales went to shit, a crime against gaming was committed when lucasarts was shut down. And lucasarts was just as important to the gaming industry and lucasgilm and ilm was to film. What a shame.

Stop the empire. Stop disney.

I began my boycott of all things disney after episode 8. I was beyond disgusted. I will not support their soulless, designed by committee focus tested trash. They’re creatively bankrupt at this point.

I always love how everyone is always up in arms about big evil corporations while kneeling to that rat in Florida, eagerly waiting to toss more of their money towards more cookie cutter marvel crap.

Disney is buying everything in film, claims it as their own, and butchers it further. There should be a movement to break it up at this point. It’s sickening

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
oh yeah i would never say Kylo was 1/20th as memorable as Vader, just that he is acted better, which IMO is true, since it is easier to act when you aren't wearing a face mask. he's better acted but a way less interesting character.

he's just a copy of the original character. what's worse, he is self aware of this. that the ST directors have made THAT be his central conflict is a big problem IMO. he is too aware he is a character in a SW film. TLJ succombed entirely to this problem, half the movie is meta-textual.

they should have come up with an original story to start the ST. at this point the whole thing is about rehashing and re-evaluating the OT, at the expense of anything new. too late now.

Last edited:

sol_bad

I love how the "Star Wars fans" used to say that there were only 3 films and that the prequels weren't real, now they say that there are only 6 films.
Amazing.
o_O

Hanon

Banned
while i hated last jedi, i'm not gonna vent it all on rian like he's a scapegoat. disney themselves sealed star war's fate by rushing this new trilogy.,

pr0cs

while i hated last jedi, i'm not gonna vent it all on rian like he's a scapegoat. disney themselves sealed star war's fate by rushing this new trilogy.,
There are a myriad of reasons why the new series is such a train wreck. Rian does have more than a reasonable share of blame considering he was happy to throw away 40 years of canon and fandom . I blame much of the fan angst against him due to his endless twitter wars with fans and blaming everything under the sun for reasons why the core audience dislikes the new movies.

kunonabi

I love how the "Star Wars fans" used to say that there were only 3 films and that the prequels weren't real, now they say that there are only 6 films.
Amazing.
o_O

I find it extra hilarious since I stopped calling myself a SW fan long ago since "real" fans were constantly giving me shit for liking them.

Top Bottom