• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video Game Artist gets threatened to be blacklisted from the industry for criticizing TLOU2 Abby's design

-Lead Character artist at Naughty Dog posts pictures of Abby's design on artstation.com

aEEhztG.jpg

-An Artist say that he can't decide if Abby is a man or a Woman

pKbSslt.jpg

-Gets threatened to be blacklisted from the gaming industry and also people who likes his comment gets threatened too.

EtIbr6O.png

ZoQ2slF.jpg

Some comments got deleted but his is still posted.

Last edited:
Something is really off with the TLOU2. From the "perfect" scores even if the game is so obviously flawed, to the pre-release controversy to Sony calling up reviewers who dared to not give it a 10/10.

It's like the entire industry is scared to hell to be open/honest about the game and have to follow the script.

It's like it has some kind of special status or special treatment, some unwritten rule about it.

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
Not long ago the far left was about progressive thinking encouraging an open exchange of ideas.

What the fuck has it become? It's now more closed off than any conservative.

I consider myself relatively left-thinking. I like a lot of their ideals. But I certainly can't associate with these nuts.

Not long ago the far left was about progressive thinking encouraging an open exchange of ideas.

What the fuck has it become? It's now more closed off than any conservative.

I consider myself relatively left-thinking. I like a lot of their ideals. But I certainly can't associate with these nuts.

True Liberals vs Leftists.

And the Liberals let the Leftists walk right into their camp and corrupt their side because they thought they were the same.

Bragr

Banned
I don't really see the issue with Abby, shes big but not THAT big, go to a wrestling gym and you will see 100 girls like that. But Naughty Dog isn't doing themselves any favors by calling gamers nazis and whatnot, like many of their employees do on twitter, no wonder people turn against them. Their whole staff team seems like pretentious kids who don't understand that internet will always be filled with haters of all kind, and the dumbest thing you do is go after them online because at some point you gonna say something dumb and people will view your company as wackjobs.

That Neil Druckman reacted so poorly to people dissing his game blows my mind, you really think every person is gonna like your game? yes, thousands will complain that your story is trash and Abby is trash and yada yada, but man, you gotta be able to let that go and focus on the people who love it.

Bragr

Banned
It's funny because people tend to not realize that Colleen Fotsch is someone who dedicated her whole life into perfecting her body. Abby didn't, she is just lifting weights on a somewhat regular basis? and is bigger than any man in the WLF.
Lev is a kid who runs around like Rambo with a bow and arrow, and Ellie carries a small armory in her backpack. It's all a bit silly, there are certain things about videogames you have to let go, and Abby being musclebound is one of them. Abby's a genetic freak apparently, is it a bit silly? yes, but absolutely everything in a videogame is silly if you try to be too realistic. They wanted to have a strong-looking female lead, and they made one up.

Umbral

According to this tweet, this is the person Abby was based on.

Good for that CD Projekt Red guy calling out the professional intimidation based on an understandable observation (havent seen the accompanying text for the upload though).

First: Frame your opponent as something reprehensible. This allows the reader to discard their opinion before reading it. Place said opinion after utilizing framing device.

Next: Present your opinion, which is surface level, knowing that most people, having discarded the opponent’s opinion outright, will now be ready to receive yours in its place. Omit that your argument, while factual, neglects to mention that the model that the character is based on is most certainly on steroids and/or testosterone, which not only would be scarce in this setting but also would have gone bad. This is made easier by the general public’s ignorance of muscle building, see: women who say they don’t want to lift weights because they don’t want to get bulky.

Last: Await likes, digital high fives, and back pats of agreement for a hollow, bad faith argument made on Twitter.

Edit: I just realized she put 3 derogatory terms in her framing device. Well done. Bigoted, self-explanatory. Male, the focus of derision and root of all of society’s ills in this era. Gamer, used as a dismissive or pejorative by the wokenistas and self-important games journalists. See: Gamers Are Over, etc. She missed adding “white” and “straight” to the mix. That would have upped the likes and retweets even more.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Women should aspire to look like men.... that is feminism now!

..... think about that for a second. Meanwhile games are censoring women with more plausible feminine figures.
The whole thing is ridiculous and it's not even my problem with Abby... my main problem is that she is an unrelatable asshole.

Stuart360

I still think there wouldnt be half as much backlash over how Abby looks if they had shown a short scene ealry on where she's weight training crazily with wide eys, then the camera pans over to a picture of Joel in front of her, or a pic of her father or soemthing, then pans back to Abby crazily focusing on the picture while sweat drips off her as she's training so hard. Something like that, so it suggest she's that focused and detirmined for revenge. But no we get none of that, and instead get this ridiculous looking woman moping around, with a 'bulldog chewing a wasp' face constantly.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
absolutely everything in a videogame is silly if you try to be too realistic. They wanted to have a strong-looking female lead, and they made one up.
This I can agree with, at end of the day its Devs choice how they want to design their characters.

I mean Emma in Sekiro has no obvious muscle and yet....

Last edited:

Paracelsus

Lev is a kid who runs around like Rambo with a bow and arrow, and Ellie carries a small armory in her backpack. It's all a bit silly, there are certain things about videogames you have to let go, and Abby being musclebound is one of them. Abby's a genetic freak apparently, is it a bit silly? yes, but absolutely everything in a videogame is silly if you try to be too realistic. They wanted to have a strong-looking female lead, and they made one up.

They wanted to have a man's gameplay but they didn't want a male protagonist, so they just took a man's body and gave it a woman's head.
Instead of taking the absolutely valid criticism about Nadine (one woman pinning down two grown men like they're children) they doubled down.
"Oh, if that's their problem, we'll just give a woman a man's body".

I still think there wouldnt be half as much backlash over how Abby looks if they had shown a short scene ealry on where she's weight training crazily with wide eys, then the camera pans over to a picture of Joel in front of her, or a pic of her father or soemthing, then pans back to Abby crazily focusing on the picture while sweat drips off her as she's training so hard. Something like that, so it suggest she's that focused and detirmined for revenge. But no we get none of that, and instead get this ridiculous looking woman moping around, with a 'bulldog chewing a wasp' face constantly.

No, she's in the 4000 calories + steroids range.
Plus, in her act of revenge she doesn't use her raw power, she uses weapons.
It's gameplay reasons, showing a woman that looks like a woman cracking skulls with her bare hands would be too much.
Ellie reasonably uses weapons, but they wanted Joel's gameplay too.

I don't understand the reason behind Abby's design. Neil wanted to make her less sexualized because of unrealistic beauty standards but he also made her unrealistically muscular. Sure there are women who are buff AF but they are the vast minority. Most women don't want to look that muscular and even less are able to achieve that body type.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
According to this tweet, this is the person Abby was based on.

Good for that CD Projekt Red guy calling out the professional intimidation based on an understandable observation (havent seen the accompanying text for the upload though).

What about unrealistic expectation from women, where does it go?

Also like a fucking clockwork:
snimekobrazovky2020-080k8n.png

Last edited:

Umbral

This I can agree with, at end of the day its Devs choice how they want to design their characters.

I mean Emma in Sekiro has no obvious muscle and yet....
There’s player expectations that are set by the developer and the world it takes place in.

That doesn’t stand out in Sekiro because we know what we’re getting into. Sekiro is mythological in nature. We expect outlandish, unrealistic things to happen. The suspension of disbelief is maintained.

TLOU is a world grounded realism, so when something runs counter to that it sticks out. People have the same sort of arguments about Mel/Dina and their pregnancies, Lev’s abilities (though Lev gets her face knocked off by Fat Geralt). Lev being the least egregious because it’s just bow and arrow stuff. You don’t see her delivering a spinning DDT to a Seraphite Brute or anything.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
TLOU is a world grounded realism, so when something runs counter to that it sticks out.
Is it really? other than graphics, the setting is fiction and the fact both Joel and Ellie can take out army of people by themselves is not really realistic. This game is not going for hyper realism even they have realistic graphics. Like I said this before at end of the day its up to devs themselves how they want to design their characters.

You could even say its same reason Yoko Taro design 2B the way she is.....simply he likes "sexy design", I'm guessing Druckmann likes woman with muscles. 🤷‍♂️

The Alien

Banned
Lol this game keeps giving. What's gonna be the next 4th dimension galaxy brain question someone is going to ask to trigger people? The obsession is real. 🤣
It does keep giving.

After the leaks, Sony/ND DMCA strikes, Sony pressuring poor reviews, etc. Its nearing a Bethesda-level Fallout 76 scenario. Not quite there yet, but stay tuned, I suppose.

Umbral

Is it really? other than graphics, the setting is fiction and the fact both Joel and Ellie can take out army of people by themselves is not really realistic. This game is not going for hyper realism even they have realistic graphics. Like I said this before at end of the day its up to devs themselves how they want to design their characters.

You could even say its same reason Yoko Taro design 2B the way she is.....simply he likes "sexy design", I'm guessing Druckmann likes woman with muscles. 🤷‍♂️
The game bleeds realism. They animated blood spurts and pooling, they recorded gurgling sounds for people choking on blood, screams for people dying, there’s limb destruction and gore, representative of what a gun would actually do to a person. It’s set in Seattle nand not some made up place resembling Seattle, Ellie relies more on stealth the agility than brute force, they have a gunsmith bench in-game where the character somewhat accurately manipulates and modifies firearms. They were going for realistic. There’s a break point that’s gonna fluctuate a little between people, but they weren’t going for fantasy.

2B is realistic in her physique. Abby is not.

Some can overlook Abby, I can’t. I’m no Mr. Universe but I have enough experience to know that it’s unrealistic without PEDs and they never show her using, so I can’t take it seriously. I enjoyed playing as Abby though, she was basically Joel from the first game.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
You are free to have your own opinion, unless someone somewhere decides that it is "toxic" ... then you can't have an opinion anymore and have to be threatened to be blacklisted from your field.

So "liberal"

So "progressive"

But what are we progressing toward?
Complaining about everything, making mountains out of mole hills, Bitching about history but have no real plan to improve the present, and might I add they love being the victim.

The extreme left is running rampant in the media.

Paracelsus

Ludonarrative dissonance does not excuse everything.
"They kill a hundred enemies in game so everything goes" is no excuse at all.
If anything it makes it even worse.

Mentioning Jrpg makes doesn't help. Beatrix is a beast in FFIX, but it's all swords and magic, it's meant to be a cartoon.

If western devs designed Jrpg, Tifa would've—

Holy shit, I just realized that's who Abby reminded me of

ROpHLZp.png

Last edited:
It does keep giving.

After the leaks, Sony/ND DMCA strikes, Sony pressuring poor reviews, etc. Its nearing a Bethesda-level Fallout 76 scenario. Not quite there yet, but stay tuned, I suppose.
Lol except the only difference is it's wildly successful, not a flop and a million seller...so close but not the same.

Women should aspire to look like men.... that is feminism now!

..... think about that for a second. Meanwhile games are censoring women with more plausible feminine figures.
The whole thing is ridiculous and it's not even my problem with Abby... my main problem is that she is an unrelatable asshole.
I think Abby should have been more like Tess both in looks and demeanor. Way better character than Abby and we hardly got to know her. I kinda wish Naughty dog would have went with the other ending of the Last of Us with Tess being the villain.

Top Bottom