• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video game graphics cognitive dissonance Thread

Dennis

Banned
Trent Strong said:
Gamepad? Couch?
Most games that are multiplatform comes with support for pad on the PC.

And I play PC games sitting on my comfy couch. Actually, often I am more like lounging, rather than sitting, on my couch while playing. Feels good man.

DennisK4 said:
Most games that are multiplatform comes with support for pad on the PC.

And I play PC games sitting on my comfy couch. Actually, often I am more like lounging, rather than sitting, on my couch while playing. Feels good man.

There are a lot of PC games support a gamepad in theory, but they just don't get the feeling of the pad right. Crysis, and Far Cry 2 are good examples of this. The camera just doesn't move correctly with an analog stick in those games. And hooking a PC up to a TV just isn't practical for most people.

Igo said:
Sorry but the correct answer was game rentals.

I don't know if you're being sarcastic, but this is also a good reason.

Kittonwy

Banned
DennisK4 said:
Oh Bob, it just isn't your day today is it? First you were wrong about Mafia 2 DLC and now this.

That's a beautiful brickwall.
Indifferent2.gif

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
EmCeeGramr said:
So now we've gone from the "PC look" to the "PC gamepad feel."

We need a detailed chart of this thread's evolution and how it manages to repeatedly wrap back around on itself.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Trent Strong said:
There are a lot of PC games support a gamepad in theory, but they just don't get the feeling of the pad right. Crysis, and Far Cry 2 are good examples of this. The camera just doesn't move correctly with an analog stick in those games. And hooking a PC up to a TV just isn't practical for most people.
Perfect example. That game controlled like absolute shit on the actual 360. No effort was put into making it feel right.

Mr_Brit said:
The only 'advantage' the Wii has over the other consoles is a different control scheme which can only be claimed to be superior in a few genres. Every single other thing is done better by the other two consoles.
Man, GAF's love affair with the Wii is so over.

Hell, it's about time.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
EmCeeGramr said:
I love Valve's art direction when it comes to buildings. The HL2 games, L4D games, (and parts of Portal) have this gritty and dirty feel to their environments that honestly feel like they went to a real location where people lived or once lived and looked at how it would decay and fall apart in the absence of people and/or regular maintenance.

Exactly. But more than that they apply art theory to the way they build their worlds, so your eye is appropriately directed towards centrepieces. They do such a fanastic job with the texturing and colour tone. Everything blends together wonderfully, and even though its comparitively lacking the technical edge of most modern games (going back to HL2, anyway), it still looks gorgeous.

Wonderful tones and colours that manage to make the imagery look 'realistic' without smearing a brown filter over the lense or coating everything in clingwrap.

FieryBalrog said:
Man, GAF's love affair with the Wii is so over.

Hell, it's about time.

GAF's lover affair with the Wii wont ever die if we're talking about platformers.

HK-47 said:
We need a detailed chart of this thread's evolution and how it manages to repeatedly wrap back around on itself.
GoW3 > Comfy couch > PC sterile look > angular angles > Tech demos aren't games > comfy couch > PC's can't do gamepads

may have missed something in there

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
pieatorium said:
GoW3 > Comfy couch > PC sterile look > angular angles > Tech demos aren't games > comfy couch > PC's can't do gamepads

The beginning is the end is the beginning.

Kittonwy

Banned
Zefah said:
I really don't know... What are you talking about?

This is what started the thread:

TEH-CJ said:
I just purchased a new panny plasma ( awesome tv btw) and booted up god of war 3 to test out my new hdtv. for the life of me I can not fathom how these graphics are possible..at times it looks pure CG thanks to the awesome motion blur and MLAA. but what stuns me the most is, kratos's model. its just flat out incredible O_O

I can't think of a better looking game. not even uncharted 2 or crysis comes close.

to me god of war 3 is the pinical of graphics this gen.

anyone agree?

The OP got a plasma and to him GOW3 was the prettiest game he could think of (you can agree or disagree with him obviously) and it has devolved to "ohohoh PC version of multiplatform game better than console versions suck it u console peasantz".

*looks around nervously to see if there's any PCs nearby*

So what is up with PC smell, man. They don't smell like consoles, they smell funky. I hear the discs are dirtier too, like they're just naturally grimy.

Kittonwy said:
The OP got a plasma and to him GOW3 was the prettiest game he could think of (you can agree or disagree with him obviously) and it has devolved to "ohohoh PC version of multiplatform game better than console versions suck it u console peasantz".

You forgot why. When people argued that many titles on PC were the "pinical" of graphics instead, we got people rambling on for pages about how PC games looked wrong, they just do, PC games don't have artists, realism isn't art, and a bunch of other laughable bullshit about how worse graphics are more realistic and believable.

John said:
nah, pc games are so cheap you might as well just buy them

Only on Steam sales.

Stallion Free said:
Perfect example. That game controlled like absolute shit on the actual 360. No effort was put into making it feel right.

Try playing the PC version with a 360 controller. It's borderline unplayable at times.

Fredescu

Kittonwy said:
And comparing Fallout to God of War seemed like the obvious next step to you because...?

pieatorium said:

Where does that dumb tangent about Final Fantasy fit in?

FieryBalrog said:
Try playing Halo with your toes, I heard Bungie fucked it up

John said:

What the...? I was responding to the guy who was saying that you can play multiplatform games on the PC with a gamepad if you wanted. Playing with a gamepad was the whole point of the argument.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
EmCeeGramr said:
You forgot why. When people argued that many titles on PC were the "pinical" of graphics instead, we got people rambling on for pages about how PC games looked wrong, they just do, PC games don't have artists, realism isn't art, and a bunch of other laughable bullshit about how worse graphics are more realistic and believable.
You have to use easy mode KB/M, real gamers prefer the challenge of Gamepad

Wallach

Trent Strong said:
What the...? I was responding to the guy who was saying that you can play multiplatform games on the PC with a gamepad if you wanted. Playing with a gamepad was the whole point of the argument.

The point was that the game was fucked up, not that PCs "do pads wrong". The game controls like shit with a pad no matter what the pad is fucking plugged into. Whether or not the developer is fucking bad at it doesn't seem like an inherent flaw of either platform.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
DennisK4 said:
You are totally off base here. The game is gorgeous, just like the two first STALKER games. How many screenshots do you have to see, man?
How did you get AA that good? The 4x in game AA seems to be broken and forcing AA through my drivers was a no-go :(

Unless it's MLAA?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
HK-47 said:
In what? Being a mediocre sequel?
Even the developers acknowledge the fact that Clear Sky sucks, whenever the Stalker series goes on sale, only SoC and CoP get discounts :lol

Pimpbaa said:
Yeah it's pretty hard to plug in a hdmi cable into your video card and the other end to the tv.

Most people have a TV in their living room, and they don't want their computer in their living room. They want their computer in their bedroom or office or den or something. You also have to mess around with setting up multiple monitors, getting a resolution that is useable on a TV and trying to make the desktop fit on the TV.

Wallach said:
The point was that the game was fucked up, not that PCs "do pads wrong". The game controls like shit with a pad no matter what the pad is fucking plugged into. Whether or not the developer is fucking bad at it doesn't seem like an inherent flaw of either platform.

Whoa, why so angry man?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Trent Strong said:
getting a resolution that is useable on a TV and trying to make the desktop fit on the TV.

This is almost as easy as plug and play.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Easy_D said:
Even the developers acknowledge the fact that Clear Sky sucks, whenever the Stalker series goes on sale, only SoC and CoP get discounts :lol

Its not even part of the Steam bundle.

Pimpbaa

Trent Strong said:
Most people have a TV in their living room, and they don't want their computer in their living room. They want their computer in their bedroom or office or den or something. You also have to mess around with setting up multiple monitors, getting a resolution that is useable on a TV and trying to make the desktop fit on the TV.

It isn't that hard, seriously.

Amir0x

Banned
brain_stew said:
The point is that the PC will always do all of those things much better than any console and all of those things have come at the direct expense of the inherent advantages of a console. So if I want that experience, then guess what? I'm going to just go ahead and take the real deal on the PC with all the trimmings. I don't want a hobbled and proprietary version of it.

The de-emphasis of local multiplayer has been the real stickler for me, its something that consoles are supposed to excel at but the PS3 and 360 do horribly yet Nintendo have built an entire console ecosystem around it. The Wii's 1990s technology is too big a barrier for me to fully enjoy the console now of course but I know that Nintendo will soon fix that detail and they'll do it without jeopardising the Wii's core strengths.

Doing things like "having hard drive space" and a "good online infrastructure" better on PC does not change that they should be central to good console systems, nor does it change the fact that any system which does not do these things well is shitty.

It seems like a psychological thing for you - you know a PC can do these things better, so somehow you prefer a system that intentionally cripples itself so that you don't have that psychological comparison.

For me, Wii can do what it likes - but it's not just 1990's tech holding it back. It's the horrendous online functionality, it's the shit storage space... it's a combination of issues that makes it an archaic unfun dinosaur of a system shit sandwhich. Hell, if it wasn't for Nintendo's core IP's, the system would be just about worthless for me. I can't stand playing on Wii for any extended period of time because of how disconnected it feels. And I mean sure, nobody I know even likes the damn thing so the local multiplayer is DOA too. More likely any local multiplayer gaming we do on 360, 'cause of Beatles Rockband

Maxathon

Neo Member
Are we back to a point where we can have a reasonable discussion
we were never at that point
about graphics in this thread? Because there are actually some things I want to know about other posters' opinions.

First, let me lay out some points that I take for granted; if you disagree please feel free to challenge these assumptions:

1. Better software technology (graphics engines) allows artists to do more ambitious work.
2. Better graphics hardware allows for better graphics engines.

Those are the two points that the people who are so vocal about preferring PC gaming seem to keep making, and I agree with them—they're fairly self-evident.

3. More ambitious work, in the sense of more technically impressive artwork, is not necessarily better or nicer to look at than less technically impressive artwork.
4. Any use of the word "better," except in a purely technological sense (i.e. more powerful, where there is no ambiguity about what "powerful" means), is subjective. Any opinion about what kind of artwork is better is therefore subjective.

Those last two points represent things that I believe, but I can't tell whether people disagree with them. Does anyone think that the only valid criterion for whether a game has good graphics is whether it has a better graphics engine?

OK, obligatory controversial statement/example: I find the Two Worlds II screens that DennisK4 has been posting unappealing. I personally don't tend to like the look of games that aim for "realism," and the aesthetics of the armor and character designs just aren't to my taste. Do you think that makes me an idiot, simply because technology underlying those graphics is superior in some way to the technology underlying the graphics of games I prefer to look at?

Top Bottom