• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video shows Ohio cop punching a black man in the face

Slayven

Mr. "Both sides": The cop didn't lie in the report of the beating we saw on the video. That was another report in another city. Obviously the cop is a piece of shit, he has anger management issues and has already been caught lying in a report. He shouldn't be a cop anywhere ever again.

That doesn't change the fact that the victim resisting wasn't a smart move. Even his girlfriend was telling him to stop. Is she also victim blaming? Is she a racist? She said that because it was better for him. I'm saying the same thing. If you resist, you can end up beaten, tasered or even shot to dead. The cop will get a paid leave and be back in 2 weeks. Is resisting ever worth it?

She was saying that because she didn't want him to die.

You saying to give the cop a pass

Mr. X

Mr. "Both sides": The cop didn't lie in the report of the beating we saw on the video. That was another report in another city. Obviously the cop is a piece of shit, he has anger management issues and has already been caught lying in a report. He shouldn't be a cop anywhere ever again.

That doesn't change the fact that the victim resisting wasn't a smart move. Even his girlfriend was telling him to stop. Is she also victim blaming? Is she a racist? She said that because it was better for him. I'm saying the same thing. If you resist, you can end up beaten, tasered or even shot to dead. The cop will get a paid leave and be back in 2 weeks. Is resisting ever worth it?
Yeah, self preservation is a real motherfucker in a life or death situation. Tell us how to survive.

Dabanton

So cops can start to be investigated and resign or get fired and just go to the next state over and get another job in law enforcement?

So cops can start to be investigated and resign or get fired and just go to the next state over and get another job in law enforcement?
This isn't the first time a cop has done some foul mess only for us to find out he had some marks at a previous Dept. And just moved for a new start. There definitely needs to be some central 3rd party agency that tracks this.

She was saying that because she didn't want him to die.

You saying to give the cop a pass
Maybe you missed this part of my message:
"Obviously the cop is a piece of shit, he has anger management issues and has already been caught lying in a report. He shouldn't be a cop anywhere ever again."

I am not condoning the cop. I'm just saying that if you know there are asshole violent cops out there, you should do whatever you can to avoid confrontation.

Slayven

"Obviously the cop is a piece of shit, he has anger management issues and has already been caught lying in a report. He shouldn't be a cop anywhere ever again."

I am not condoning the cop. I'm just saying that if you know there are asshole violent cops out there, you should do whatever you can to avoid confrontation.

Silly us for expecting sane police men, we deserve the plungers up the ass(actually happened to someone that was "resisting")

Yeah, self preservation is a real motherfucker in a life or death situation. Tell us how to survive.
Could you please show me one video where somebody was being wrongfully arrested, mistreated or whatever by a cop and resisting arrest made things better?

Two Words

What exactly did this guy do wrong? Seemed like the cop took him down, for what, not getting out of his car exactly 100% how he wanted to? The guy never did anything violent towards the cop. During the entire attack, all the guy ever did was block his face from being punched.

Every corgi is against this act. Just watch..every Corgi avatar GAFer will condemn this within seconds of this post, as they condemn confederate statues being torn down. Good puppers!

Well you convinced everyone here

What a well thought out, cogent argument

Well, he's not wrong

yeah, just like that. Often times when police brutality goes viral, we find that the cop had a history of misconduct, was let go for it in one department only to get hired and continue being an abusive animal for another police department

Velcro Fly

fb live video doesn't show the whole story. I watched it first and was like "well the guy is clearly struggling on the ground what is going on here" but the dash cam video shows a completely different side where the cop just freaks the fuck out for nothing.

jesus christ that is hard to watch

What exactly did this guy do wrong? Seemed like the cop took him down, for what, not getting out of his car exactly 100% how he wanted to? The guy never did anything violent towards the cop. During the entire attack, all the guy ever did was block his face from being punched.
There is a build up. The driver asks why he's being stopped, the cop cuts him talking and keeps asking for his id, etc. Then asks the driver 'why you so upset'... I think he wanted the driver to do something so he could confront him. When the cop grabbed his arm, the guy resisted and the cop took him down and started swinging.

I can show you complying leading to a bullet.
There is nothing you can do in that case. If a murderer gets you, you're fucked. I hope the cop ended in jail, though.

I can link you to articles detailing a history of mistreatment against blacks from cops instead.
And any article detailing how resisting arrest made a situation better?

I'm just saying best you can do when pulled by a cop is doing what you are told to. Resisting will only make things worse.

There is a build up. The driver asks why he's being stopped, the cop cuts him talking and keeps asking for his id, etc. Then asks the driver 'why you so upset'... I think he wanted the driver to do something so he could confront him. When the cop grabbed his arm, the guy resisted and the cop took him down and started swinging.

There is nothing you can do in that case. If a murderer gets you, you're fucked. I hope the cop ended in jail, though.

And any article detailing how resisting arrest made a situation better?

I'm just saying best you can do when pulled by a cop is doing what you are told to. Resisting will only make things worse.
The question is why are you putting even a little blame on the person who received the violence? People are responding to you in such a negative fashion because no one will blame a black man for being a bit negative towards a cop. There is a long long rap sheet of blacks getting unfairly treated by cops, so a black man is already on edge whenever he needs to deal with a cop. Knowing this a bit of resisting should be expected, really regardless of color whenever someone puts their hands on you in an aggressive way most people will respond with a bit of resistance, just by reflex.
So there /is/ a reason why one would resist a bit, but no reason why the cop should react to that with violence.

J-Rzez

First off, if this cop lied knowingly and admitted to such, he should never be an officer again.

Second, the driver didn't stop where they were supposed to, the plate flagged the registered owner with a suspended license. Couldn't see in the video/hear it all, did they produce valid ID? Finally, I wouldn't have went off the handle that quickly, that's wrong, but its not wise to resist, at all. If the person didnt produce ID, given the situation, you would restrain someone acting the way they did while you checked they were who they say they were. Not sure about there, but in other states its established by DOT and law that you must have ID on you at all times when operating a vehicle. If you resist especially in this situation, its probably not going to end well, just in varying degrees.

First off, if this cop lied knowingly and admitted to such, he should never be an officer again.

Second, the driver didn't stop where they were supposed to, the plate flagged the registered owner with a suspended license. Couldn't see in the video/hear it all, did they produce valid ID? Finally, I wouldn't have went off the handle that quickly, that's wrong, but its not wise to resist, at all. If the person didnt produce ID, given the situation, you would restrain someone acting the way they did while you checked they were who they say they were. Not sure about there, but in other states its established by DOT and law that you must have ID on you at all times when operating a vehicle. If you resist especially in this situation, its probably not going to end well, just in varying degrees.
I like how the justification is longer than the condemnation.

Verelios

God damn.

God... damn.

Do you realize he wasn't under arrest at the moment the cop tried to manhandle him?

Anticol

Banned
It seems the American police is ready to follow the instructions of a nazist party whenever they want and they will do it gladly. Pigs.

The question is why are you putting even a little blame on the person who received the violence? People are responding to you in such a negative fashion because no one will blame a black man for being a bit negative towards a cop. There is a long long rap sheet of blacks getting unfairly treated by cops, so a black man is already on edge whenever he needs to deal with a cop. Knowing this a bit of resisting should be expected, really regardless of color whenever someone puts their hands on you in an aggressive way most people will respond with a bit of resistance, just by reflex.
So there /is/ a reason why one would resist a bit, but no reason why the cop should react to that with violence.
You are describing a reason that causes the conduct of resisting. But I was talking about (maybe I'm a little lost in translation) a reason like something you want to achieve. Some desired consequence to the action of resisting. Which I think there is none.

I watched more videos, and the cops are looking worse and worse by the minute. They accuse the driver not only of resisting arrest but also of not facing away when asked to. Maybe we don't all agree wether the driver resisted arrest or not, but he did face away when asked to.

And the face of the driver after the beating was a real mess. That was excessive force. Those punches when the cop was on top of him and the driver was trying to protect his face were totally uncalled for.

God damn.

God... damn.

Do you realize he wasn't under arrest at the moment the cop tried to manhandle him?
I thought he was being arrested. The police said they were arresting him for driving under a suspended license.

When the cop grabs the drivers left arm, the driver flexes the arm like he is trying to avoid being grabbed.

Why can't people just do as told and then, afterwards, upload the video and/or go to court if they consider they have been mistreated?

Resisting never ever ends well.

Bro that's not resisting that's a reflex wtf are you really saying flexing your arm justifies a cop beating the shit out of you?

Bro that's not resisting that's a reflex wtf are you really saying flexing your arm justifies a cop beating the shit out of you?
That could be a reflex if you were walking down the street and some dude tried to grab your arm. But if you are told by a police officer who is 1 foot away to face away from him and he grabs your arm, you know the drill.

y2dvd

That could be a reflex if you were walking down the street and some dude tried to grab your arm. But if you are told by a police officer who is 1 foot away to face away from him and he grabs your arm, you know the drill.

If you did nothing wrong you have no reason to comply with abuse. Wtf am I even reading here?

traveler

Not Wario
Well guess cops listened to Trump's advice about not being "too nice"

Nah, this man appears to still be able to walk and might even be alive. Cop probably didn't even slam his head into the roof of the car when putting him in. :/

Are you arguing from a pragmatic perspective or from a right/wrong perspective? Cop is clearly in the wrong here....

I like how the justification is longer than the condemnation.

I don't agree with the justification, but isn't that sort of inherent in the nature of justifications? You have to point out a viable cause for each action as opposed to simply saying x action is wrong.

Fucking thug cop. It's a wonder the guy didn't die, and all for a supposed traffic violation.

What's the cop saying in the dash video right before he assaults him? It sounds like "wait for me" but I can't be sure.

TBiddy

Eat a dick asshole. I ain't wasting my time on your bitch ass. You wanna suck cop dick, don't let me stop you. Lol, slurp it up fuck boi.

Was that really necessary?

edit: Just to be clear, this cop deserves nothing more than being fired and going to jail.

If you did nothing wrong you have no reason to comply with abuse. Wtf am I even reading here?
He supposedly didn't obey a stop sign, wasn't wearing his seatbelt and, according to police, was driving under suspension.

Are you arguing from a pragmatic perspective or from a right/wrong perspective? Cop is clearly in the wrong here....
The cop is in the wrong. He wasn't doing his job in a professional manner, he was an angry person using his position as a law enforcer to beat somebody up.

But, the driver having that attitude didn't help the situation. You know, if you are kind to the police sometimes you go away with just a warning when the cop could have given you a ticket. If you have an attitude, then you are going to get all the tickets they can give you.

Of course, nothing justifies the amount of violence seen in the video. That cop is nuts. Also, the police department must also think the cop was out of line because they felt the need to lie about the driver not facing away from the cop. He did face away from the cop when asked to. It's in the video.

We didn't see the same video. The cop is apparently behaving politely but the tone of his voice indicates a bit of an attitude. Like he is pretending to be polite but, at the same time, trying to establish who is in charge. The driver doesn't like what the police is saying, tries to question his actions, and must also have shown some kind of attitude right before the cop said 'why so upset'. At this point, I imagine the cop must be thinking 'this guy is hiding something and is going to resist', and the driver is thinking 'this guy is an asshole and is stopping me because I'm black'.

Then, the cop tried to grab the drivers hand probably to handcuff him, the driver resisted, and there we go!

Obviously the cops used much more violence than needed. Even if the driver was resisting, he wasn't a menace that deserved being punched in the face so many times. The cop had him under control when he was on top of him. At that point I think the cop lost it because he was pissed off. And he must have been thinking 'OK, if you won't stop resisting, I will beat you up until you stop'.

That's why I said resisting never makes sense. If you resist, then they can kick your ass. If you don't resist and they kick your ass, they are in trouble.
Seguro que la ley mordaza te parece la rehostia.
People will always show some kind of resistance, especially when they know they haven't done anything wrong. Beating up a man has no excuse. They are supposed to be the professionals and the ones who show restraint, not the citizen.

Top Bottom