• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video shows Ohio cop punching a black man in the face

Can anyone get the dashcam video to work on iPhone? The ad plays but the video never loads.

Was about to ask this. Seems like the player isn't iOS compatible.

Why can't they be put on unpaid leave and if they're innocent they can get back pay? If not, fuck 'em.

Because these investigations can take weeks or months and in the event that their actions are proven to be "justified", the idea of an innocent person losing their home and not being able to support their family isn't great. Not trying to justify anything in particular, just explaining the reasoning.

Every corgi is against this act. Just watch..every Corgi avatar GAFer will condemn this within seconds of this post, as they condemn confederate statues being torn down. Good puppers!

I don't know what this is, but it seems like a joke about something unrelated or a shitpost or something. Not cool if so.

Dedicating paragraphs of text toward how the victim behaved "inappropriately" when the trained professional punched him in the head repeatedly and bounced his face off the concrete? You are a disgusting individual.

Excessive force. Only a disgusting person would victim blame someone getting their head slammed against pavement and getting decked in the face for applying reactionary resistance. Especially for traffic infractions.

Mahonay

Banned
It's always people from countries outside of the US that come bulldozing into these threads to try and defend our awful fucking police force. I really don't get it. Why?

Brinbe

Not what I wanted to wake up to... Of course blah blah blah he wasn't a Saint or some bullshit excuse like that. Fuck the police and fuck anyone defending this assault.

Funny how it's almost always minorities that end up on the receiving end of those cowardly pig-thrown punches.

It's always people from countries outside of the US that come bulldozing into these threads to try and defend our awful fucking police force. I really don't get it. Why?

I used to do this, I try not to anymore. A lot of other western first world countries have very competent recruiting, training, operational standards and multiple external agencies who monitor, regulate and investigate police forces or services. It's just really weird and almost tricky to understand that the US is one of the few (if not the only) western countries that doesn't really have any of that.

Couple this with the fact that the US police force is a reactionary, militaristic force as opposed to community-integrated, capable services that make up other policing styles... yeah, it's just hard to fathom that the US polices the way it does, so a lot of the "it can't be that bad" is from ignorance I guess.

Could you just not do it at all, and maybe discourage others from doing so too please.

1. Don't tell me how to post. Whilst I won't bother commenting positively or trying to defend the training or operations of policing as a whole in the US anymore (after having researched it), individual situations are still educational and sometimes even enjoyable to respectfully discuss.

2. I often don't know what countries people come from because many don't have their location in their bios, so I can't really do that. If I do see it I'll just tell people to give up though.

I used to do this, I try not to anymore.

Could you just not do it at all, and maybe discourage others from doing so too please.

It can be hard for us to understand just how shitty your police forces are. Many of us have competent well trained police forces.

That, you know, don't beat the shit out of and kill people for literally no reason other than their race.

What specifically did it take for you to understand?

It can be hard for us to understand just how shitty your police forces are. Many of us have competent well trained police forces.

That, you know, don't beat the shit out of and kill people for literally no reason other than their race.

It's easier to understand once you realize that polices forces in the US are the direct descendants of slave catching patrols.

Even if they did, I think the thing that the US does worse than every other first world country is enforcement of well established policing standards and a strong aversion to prosecuting or appropriately disciplining its officers. It seems like shootings or discharged firearms by police don't even get enough investigation time in some of the stories posted in OT.

I won't speak for you 36, because I don't know where you live, but where I live, a robust system of operations monitoring, complaints regulation and corruption investigations is vital to keeping the state police up to snuff. No policing system is infallible, and my country has had some fucking shockers. Look up the history of policing in QLD, especially "the joke" in the 80's if you want to read about some fucked up corruption. It was the entire catalyst for the state CCC and a heavier, more strict implementation of power separation.

Our police commissioner went to prison. Like, yeah, that bad.

Like, moving from one city or state to another to join their police because you were sacked from a different one for violating their rules? That's an integrity issue, and I can't imagine a scenario where the violator would ever be inducted into a different police force or service in my country.

It would come up in one of the 3 background checks, each of which is more stringent than the last. In my state in particular, applications can take years because the police request any and all available records from every state and country you've ever travelled to, so the longer it takes to get responses from each country, the longer you're waiting for a pass on each each from recruitment. A failure to declare like, a speeding ticket from your holiday in Japan or something could result in a non-reapplication period of 2-5 years or something, if not more.

Apt101

I saw cops beat the living hell out of black and Hispanic friends when I was a teenager. We didn't have portable cameras connected to the Internet back then. These stories will increase until the country votes more for Democrats. Then something will be done.

bigJP

When the cop grabs the drivers left arm, the driver flexes the arm like he is trying to avoid being grabbed.

Why can't people just do as told and then, afterwards, upload the video and/or go to court if they consider they have been mistreated?

Resisting never ever ends well.

do you really believe that

Seguro que la ley mordaza te parece la rehostia.
People will always show some kind of resistance, especially when they know they haven't done anything wrong. Beating up a man has no excuse. They are supposed to be the professionals and the ones who show restraint, not the citizen.
I think both the officer and the citizen should show restraint.

do you really believe that
Yes. After rewatching the video a few times I also think the cop noticed a bit of an attitude in the drivers behaviour, and he (the cop) tried to piss him off deliberately. That 'why so upset', and talking over the victim, and asking for the keys, and removing the lock and opening the door from the outside without giving the driver the time to open the door himself... I think that cop wanted what happened to happen. He just wanted the driver to give him an excuse to confront him. And when the driver finally took the bait and flexed his arm while the officer was holding it, the cop proceeded to beat the crap out of him.

With every rewatch I see the cop more and more as an asshole.

gaiages

Banned
When the cop grabs the drivers left arm, the driver flexes the arm like he is trying to avoid being grabbed.

Why can't people just do as told and then, afterwards, upload the video and/or go to court if they consider they have been mistreated?

Resisting never ever ends well.

I'm going to guess that you're white and have never had to be afraid of cops in every day life

There's plenty of people that have suppressed their survival instincts (let's face it, black people """resisting""" cops is going to be a survival instinct in these scenarios) and have not fared better.

This is not a both sides issue. The man shouldn't have to get out of his car for running a stop sign in the first place.

Mahonay

Banned
I used to do this, I try not to anymore. A lot of other western first world countries have very competent recruiting, training, operational standards and multiple external agencies who monitor, regulate and investigate police forces or services. It's just really weird and almost tricky to understand that the US is one of the few (if not the only) western countries that doesn't really have any of that.

Couple this with the fact that the US police force is a reactionary, militaristic force as opposed to community-integrated, capable services that make up other policing styles... yeah, it's just hard to fathom that the US polices the way it does, so a lot of the "it can't be that bad" is from ignorance I guess.

I appreciate the responses. Now I understand a little more why I've been seeing that pattern on GAF.

There's no point in criticizing the actions of citizens who've been brutalized by officers when said actions are entirely contingent on the impropriety of the officer—without the officer being an asshole like you say, there is no "driver took the bait and flexed his arm," which still shouldn't in any way warrant the officer's response. The cop's job is, ostensibly, to deescalate situations; it's not a random citizen's job to acquiesce to bullies under threat of (state sanctioned) death.

Why do you feel compelled to levy criticism at the victim? Do you think it makes you appear impartial or level-headed to frame something like flexing one's arm as wrongdoing?

Mahonay

Banned
Cops like this need to be imprisoned for assault.
100 percent.

Legal punishment should be STRONGER against police that are on duty and abuse their absolute power. Instead most times the legal consequences are nonexistent. It's fucking ridiculous.

Takuan

100 percent.

Legal punishment should be STRONGER against police that are on duty and abuse their absolute power. Instead most times the legal consequences are nonexistent. It's fucking ridiculous.

Totally agree. Then you'd have people signing up for the right reasons.

Edit: Although, the police force would probably dwindle.

Valhelm

contribute something
100 percent.

For sure. Giving police this invincible authority inhibits their supposed mission to protect and serve.

Cops don't just need to be held to the same standard as everybody else when it comes to violence and oppression, they must be held to a much higher standard for the good of everybody else.

bigJP

Yes. After rewatching the video a few times I also think the cop noticed a bit of an attitude in the drivers behaviour, and he (the cop) tried to piss him off deliberately. That 'why so upset', and talking over the victim, and asking for the keys, and removing the lock and opening the door from the outside without giving the driver the time to open the door himself... I think that cop wanted what happened to happen. He just wanted the driver to give him an excuse to confront him. And when the driver finally took the bait and flexed his arm while the officer was holding it, the cop proceeded to beat the crap out of him.

With every rewatch I see the cop more and more as an asshole.

the police is supposed to show restraint. take him to the ground and cuff him, not punch him in the face a hundred times.

Mahonay

Banned
the police is supposed to show restraint. take him to the ground and cuff him, not punch him in the face a hundred times.
"STOP RESISTING!"

*continues punching handcuffed man in the face*

I mean, if he had only complied this wouldn't have happened!

Ricardo you have no idea what the fuck you are talking about.

jaxpunk

People are giving police no more responsibility then rabid dogs "What do you expect to happen?"

I'm pretty sure they have more responsibilities than a rabid dog. Like if a cop came into my house and shit on the carpet. I be more surprised than if a dog did it.

People should just type "nigger should know his place" and keep it moving

But after this post, yikes might be time to take a break or something.

Mahonay

Banned
I'm pretty sure they have more responsibilities than a rabid dog. Like if a cop came into my house and shit on the carpet. I be more surprised than if a dog did it..
A cop is more likely to come into your house and shoot you for appearing "threatening" if you are a black man. Shitting on the carpet would be an upgrade.

Slayven

I'm pretty sure they have more responsibilities than a rabid dog. Like if a cop came into my house and shit on the carpet. I be more surprised than if a dog did it.

Funny how many times it comes down to just beating or shooting a person

I have met many police that just have a "don't break the law" and "comply with every order" attitude. And any slight hint that you are not 100% complying is taken as if you are going to shoot them and they escalate.

Of course they give whites more of the benefit of the doubt than blacks, but I think they have as skewed perception of the world. They are forced to deal with the worst of the worst, and when constantly sent to black areas and only dealing with the criminals they form biased viewpoints.

I think we need more community policing, policemen walking the streets and getting to know everyone on the block. This is tough though when the mistrust between the black community and police is so great right now.

Then of course you have cops who try very hard not to escalate and end up getting shot for it. These cases are probably in the minority, but they reinforce other cops to feel the need to jump to deadly force rather than risk getting shot.

See this video for an example: https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/4219356/police-officer-shot-point-blank-bodycam-footage/

Bree Newsome‏Verified account @BreeNewsome

Durham Co. Sheriff's office is currently arresting and conducting raids on the homes of people who removed Confederate monument yesterday

https://twitter.com/BreeNewsome/status/897572687383588864

Lamont Lilly‏ @LamontLilly

My crib was one of the places they raided yesterday @BreeNewsome. Every closet, every drawer, ripped my mattress. Totally trashed the place!

https://twitter.com/LamontLilly/status/897793262290915329

I'd take the dog shitting in my house over this, tbh

When people blame citizens for getting assaulted/killed by police in the U.S. for no good reason instead of aiming criticism at the police, that suggests police can't expected to be better than that, just like how no one expects a rabid dog to be able to behave properly, or
to be reasoned with.

jaxpunk

Funny how many times it comes down to just beating or shooting a person

I don't think the word you are looking for is "funny". tbh.

A cop is more likely to come into your house and shoot you for appearing "threatening" if you are a black man. Shitting on the carpet would be an upgrade.

And yes a cop shitting in your house would be preferred to getting shot. Now if a dog kicked my door in and shot me. That would be a shocker.

Two Words

I have met many police that just have a "don't break the law" and "comply with every order" attitude. And any slight hint that you are not 100% complying is taken as if you are going to shoot them and they escalate.

Of course they give whites more of the benefit of the doubt than blacks, but I think they have as skewed perception of the world. They are forced to deal with the worst of the worst, and when constantly sent to black areas and only dealing with the criminals they form biased viewpoints.

I think we need more community policing, policemen walking the streets and getting to know everyone on the block. This is tough though when the mistrust between the black community and police is so great right now.

Then of course you have cops who try very hard not to escalate and end up getting shot for it. These cases are probably in the minority, but they reinforce other cops to feel the need to jump to deadly force rather than risk getting shot.

See this video for an example: https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/4219356/police-officer-shot-point-blank-bodycam-footage/
That's what happens when you're commissioned to patrol lower-income, predominantly black neighborhoods looking to bust people for non-violent crap like "the war on drugs". You don't see these cops looking for rich white people in Bel Air doing drugs, even though research has shown that drugs are used fairly evenly across all races and economic classes.

J-Rzez

I like how the justification is longer than the condemnation.

I like how people nitpick and try to find ways to twist and turn. Its pretty simple, lie, you shouldnt be a LEO then right? Concise and to the point, no debate.

There's more detail and explanation for the other part, obviously.

Just watched the video. I think something got into my eye when he asked dispatch to tell his family he loved them. So happy he made it!

That's exactly the reason why you must comply with everything a policeman tells you. The policeman doesn't know wether you are average joe or a potential cop killer. If he thinks he is in danger, he is going to do whatever it takes to minimize the risk of him getting hurt/shot/whatever.

That doesn't change the fact that the cop we are talking about in this thread lost it, applied excessive force and doesn't have what it takes to be a good policeman.

Enzom21

Fired.
A police officer in Ohio who was recorded beating a black motorist during a traffic stop in August has been fired, officials said.

The officer, Michael Amiott, was terminated from his job with the Euclid Police Department on Friday, Mayor Kirsten H. Gail said in a statement emailed on Tuesday.

Mr. Amiott, who is white, had been on disciplinary suspension after a video surfaced in August that showed him beating an African-American man, Richard Hubbard III, after pulling him over in Euclid, a suburb of Cleveland.

The video shows Officer Amiott punching Mr. Hubbard in the head and face more than a dozen times, even when Mr. Hubbard is prone on the ground. It was taken by a bystander and posted on Facebook, and the police department also released a version.

Ms. Gail said in her statement that Mr. Amiott, 31, had been suspended for ”rule violations" since then but that her office had continued to receive complaints of other episodes of professional misconduct.

”After a review, I found Amiott to have violated additional departmental rules, including Conduct Unbecoming and Courtesy, calling into serious question his suitability as a Euclid Police Officer," the mayor said in her statement.
According to documents obtained by The Associated Press, Mr. Amiott received four letters of reprimand and one formal citizen complaint in his three years as a Euclid officer, but he was never disciplined beyond written citations.

He was cited for pistol-whipping a driver with a handgun, mishandling evidence, losing his temper in front of his commanding officer and being involved in two crashes in police vehicles, The A.P. reported.
18xp-ohiopolice-master768.jpg

Any comment from the defends of this shit?

norm9

From the statement, dude was fired not because he punched the guy laying down, but for other reasons, probably punching other people in the face

BriGuy

That cop has a hell of a rap sheet for only being 31. You just know he took the job so he could "bust some heads" without being held accountable.

____

From the statement, dude was fired not because he punched the guy laying down, but for other reasons, probably punching other people in the face

Yep. The crime he was first caught doing against this black man meant nothing.

Had to have -other- instances for them to fire him? Fuck him and the dept that fired him.

whatever happened to simple citations, traffic tickets and demerit points?

what the fuck is up with the requirement to beat the shit out of someone? Just give him a traffic ticket or mail it to him.

jeez, cops are so bored they are fishing for beating up black people. Racist society of nut jobs

Top Bottom