• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

webrunner

a Master Ninja said:
Yep. You stare at anything long enough you can find a "secret message" in them, whether it's a Snapple bottle or a dollar bill. Heck, I bet if you looked long enough at some Mario boxart you could find a secret message.

I was staring at your post and... I must protest what you said about my mother!

Nobiru said:
someone explain the marlboro things better...i dont get it, i cant see the "K"s and im not sure what im lookin for with the horses =/

edit: and i dont see the big deal with the Carrefour symbol...thats clearly how its designed, not like the FedEx one at all ... wtf else is the Carrefour thing supposed to be if its not a C?
the Fedex one was clearly designed like that. I remember studying it in graphic design history and how the designers of the logo were a big deal back then

and the marlboro ones are a stretch... the negative space between the horses legs? wtf that could be anything. looks like a hand pointing to me

jman2050

ratcliffja said:
I remember when I first bought Sonic 2 and laughed as soon as I saw Miles "Tails" Prower. I then had to explain the pun to my brother. I have a hard time believing anybody who knew his full name didn't get the pun.

Start believing.

Enk

makes good threads.
Since I played this recently it stood out. When zoomed out, a section in Turrican 2's first level is in the form of a humanoid which I thought was a nice detail.

TURRICAN.gif

Also if you look real close at the head there's two little dots which represent eyes.

EYES.gif

keyrat

did anyone mention the Street Fighter 2 names? This one's pretty well known.

In Japan, Balrog is M. Bison, M. Bison is Vega, and Vega is Balrog. Basically, Balrog was really named M. Bison, to sound like Mike Tyson. To avoid any legal issues on bringing it to the US, they switched all the boss' names around.

Shig said:
Finding out that this thing
SMWgoomba.gif

was supposed to be a goomba during the SMW credit sequence kinda blew my mind. Mushroom -> tomato, wha?

Also, Link's pink hair in LTTP was kinda vexing. I know there's color pallette limitations on sprites, but... that pink color wasn't used anywhere else in the sprite. There's no concievable reason they couldn't have used yellow or brown.
zelda.jpg
I just realized this, but that fortune teller sign looks awfully alot like goatse

Tr4nce

I only have one.

As long as there have been Camel cigarettes, people believe that the Belgian boy 'Manneken Pis' is in the front leg of the camel, as a mark of authenticness, just like for example, the seals of quality on videogames. I dunno if it's true, you decide. Edit: seeing it in real life on a Camel package works way better :lol

art-ch436011fig1.gif

180px-Manneken_Pis_%28crop%29.jpg

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
:lol :lol :lol

RumFore

Banned
Years ago while playing Max Payne I left the game while some of those comic book styled subtitles were up and I could not believe my eyes. If you aligned the words from the top to the bottom it read "kill all n-word". I know its a big claim to make without pictures but even though it happened years ago I still remember it clear as day. Maybe I will play though the game again to find it just for this thread sake and to be famous for a day or two.

TJ Spyke

Odrion said:
Mario got his name from one of Nintendo's staff (a lawyer?) who looked like him.

You are thinking of the rumor that Kirby was named after one of Nintendo's attorneys, John Kirby, who was one of their attorneys when they were sued by Universal Studios over the Donkey Kong/King Kong issue. Kirby creator Masahiro Sakurai says he doesn't remember how they came up with Kirby's name.

Chao

RumFore said:
Years ago while playing Max Payne I left the game while some of those comic book styled subtitles were up and I could not believe my eyes. If you aligned the words from the top to the bottom it read "kill all n-word". I know its a big claim to make without pictures but even though it happened years ago I still remember it clear as day. Maybe I will play though the game again to find it just for this thread sake and to be famous for a day or two.

Go. Now.

Gattsu25

Banned
RumFore said:
I need a screen of this

NOW

RumFore

Banned
Gattsu25 said:
I need a screen of this

NOW

I'm actually installing as I type and I hope to find it. Not sure if its in part 1 or 2 though. Going to siff through all the art files if it allows.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
+Aliken+ said:
which part of the Marlboro one?
KKK for ku klux klan

In the middle of the legs you can notice a hooded person with his arm extended, like the Nazi salute.

uhhh...ok.

a Master Ninja said:
Yep. You stare at anything long enough you can find a "secret message" in them, whether it's a Snapple bottle or a dollar bill. Heck, I bet if you looked long enough at some Mario boxart you could find a secret message.

You're gay. Mr. gay, that is.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
- Resident Evil Director's Cut that came out in the US, wasn't really a "Director's Cut" as they advertised it would include the uncensored opening sequence... they left the opening FMV the same as the US one haha...

- The first run of Final Fantasy Tactics Greatest Hits (PS1) were the wrong region code. It only worked with Japanese systems hahah.

- The security strip on the top of Dynasty Warriors for PS2, earliest release said DANASTY WARRIORS.

- Certain game controllers out on the market will blow a fuse in your PS2 that will disable vibration/rumble when playing games.

The Hermit

No more heroes:

During a load screen press B many times...

OT:Hey MarkMan post more smash stuff... come on it's pretty much out already ;)

One serious question: will the Jap version have english language as an option?

loosus

Banned
You guys really didn't know about the bush/cloud thing? I'm not bragging (because I guess it's self-insulting), but I've known about that fo-ever. Wish I would've just mentioned it, geez. :p

Here's how I first noticed it: as a kid, I always saw Mario with the moustache in the artwork of the manual and on the cartoon. It was his trademark (more so than his big, round nose, in my opinion). Well, that made me start seeing moustaches on the clouds. And finally, because I really started paying attention to the clouds, I thought, "What else might be like Mario?" And of course, I examined the bushes and found them to be exactly the same shape as the clouds.

Has anyone ever paused the game while Mario has the star power? I always thought it was so interesting. I realized even back then that Mario and Luigi were identical except for color. So, seeing Mario turn different colors because of the star power made me think, "Damn, there's more than just Mario and Luigi in here!" So, I gave all the color combinations a name (non-Italian names, by the way, because I wasn't that clever) and sent a letter to Nintendo demanding that their true identities be revealed and that they get their own games. :lol

Lynnfire

Donkey_Kong_Country_2_Diddys_Kong_Q.gif

Donkey Kong Country 2 : Diddy's Kong Quest

(Diddy's Conquest)

My jaw dropped to the floor when I found this out many years after I first played and loved the game. I was completely oblivious to the pun.

ggnoobIGN

Banned
Lynnfire said:

(Diddy's Conquest)

My jaw dropped to the floor when I found this out many years after I first played and loved the game. I was completely oblivious to the pun.
LOL, first time I've noticed that.

Lynnfire said:

(Diddy's Conquest)

With this new something, I just fulfilled my learning quota for today.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Lynnfire said:

(Diddy's Conquest)

Wow, I had this game and loved it but I always called it Diddy Kong's Quest, I was to young to realize it I guess.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Lynnfire said:

(Diddy's Conquest)

haha wow i never clued into that one

HolyStar

Banned
Wow, this thread is pretty boss. Come on now, I know there are other unknown facts and the like, like each LoZ game takes place in the same place but just at different times in history.

Darunia said:
i nominate this thread for most suprisingly awesome one of the month

It started out pretty shitty (people writing what blew their mind instead of writing down unknown videogame facts) and I stopped reading after the 3rd page orso. How have the last 7 pages been?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
:lol at the Marlboro one. Stretching a bit too much, hm?

Baiano19 said:
No more heroes:

During a load screen press B many times...
I'm glad I found out this one by myself. I'm fucking hyperactive when playing games and it's always a welcome feature to be able to do something (ANYTHING) during load times, no matter how quick they may be.

Link

The Autumn Wind
ratcliffja said:
I remember when I first bought Sonic 2 and laughed as soon as I saw Miles "Tails" Prower. I then had to explain the pun to my brother. I have a hard time believing anybody who knew his full name didn't get the pun.
I seriously never realized it and I've been aware of his full name since the game originally released. My mind = blown.

tribal24

Banned
Lynnfire said:

(Diddy's Conquest)

i definatly knew this one>.>

Mike M

Nick N
HolyStar said:
Wow, this thread is pretty boss. Come on now, I know there are other unknown facts and the like, like each LoZ game takes place in the same place but just at different times in history.
Does anyone *not* know that? They've explicitly pointed it out in the series since LttP.

Top Bottom