• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

jaxword

Roto13 said:
Coincidences happen sometimes, you know.

It's a complete coincidence. The characteristics of the Oz characters do not match the FF9's, even subversively. Vivi's not looking for a brain, Zidane's not looking for courage, and Steiner isn't looking for a heart. If anything, Vivi is looking for a heart and Steiner needs a brain.

I could do other teams of fiction and get a similar outcome:

The goof-off hero: Fry - Zidane
The Tin man: Bender - Steiner
Team mascot with a small stature but great power: Nibbler - Vivi
The Girl: Leela - Garnet

Not to mention there's 4 other FF9 characters, who do they match up with in Oz?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
jaxword said:
It's a complete coincidence. The characteristics of the Oz characters do not match the FF9's, even subversively. Vivi's not looking for a brain, Zidane's not looking for courage, and Steiner isn't looking for a heart. If anything, Vivi is looking for a heart and Steiner needs a brain.

Well, Steiner IS a hardass but he has a heart and then there's that one (Kind of a big plot point so yeah!)
sequence with Zidane when he's given up all hope but then finds courage in his friends
but yeah it's still a stretch :p

Exclamation-One said:
Just started playing Final Fantasy IX for the first time, and I realized...

jinwq1.jpg

All four starting characters are an homage to Wizard of Oz.

This would be even more mindblowing if there was anything even remotely similar between them.

edit: For the love of christ i read every post except the last one :\

I'm not going so far as to say the characters completely correspond (that would be a videogame adaptation), just saying that they were an homage/starting point for the creators. A lot of artists take iconic and classic themes and build off of them. The Wizard of Oz is popular around the world, and especially in Japan.

For instance,

180px-Fantastic_FourHead.jpg

the Fantastic Four represent Fire, Water, Earth, and Air.

jaxword

Exclamation-One said:
For instance,

The Thing : A not-too-smart, big tough guy with a heart of gold = Steiner
Johnny Storm: Brash, impulsive hotheaded womanizer but means well = Zidane
Mr Fantastic: Not the most powerful physically, but makes up for it with his mind = Vivi
Invisible woman: The token girl = Garnet.

There's only so many character archetypes out there. FF9's cast is pretty stereotypical so of course there's going to be overlaps.

Exclamation-One said:
I'm not going so far as to say the characters completely correspond (that would be a videogame adaptation), just saying that they were an homage/starting point for the creators. A lot of artists take iconic and classic themes and build off of them. The Wizard of Oz is popular around the world, and especially in Japan.

For instance,

fKaL7.jpg

TheOGB

Banned
Exclamation-One said:

For instance,

{:-/

I get it

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
The clocks in Duke Nukem Forever show the actual time set on your system. I kid you not.

Also, that I'm playing DNF.

Sofo

Wasn't the Scarecrow in The Wizard of Oz brainless? I don't think that suits for Vivi, who is pretty thoughtful! If you go for the looks I guess yes, but not mind blowing at all (to me).

Sorry, no mind blowing facts of my own!

Ledsen

jaxword said:

Yep. Not mindblowing in the least, and not a homage, simply character archetypes.

cacildo

2ptcq3n.jpg
=
2r2ygdj.jpg

“There was one more staff member, and the two of us decided on it. We attached ‘android’ to the ‘metro subway’ and that’s how we got ‘Metroid’.” - Hiroji Kiyotake

- Before the game was called Metroid, the name was Space Hunter
- Samus’ name is based on Edison Arantes do Nascimento, the soccer player better known as Pelé

“Even the name of the protagonist could be put together in this manner, and if I wanted to give someone a strange name, I could refer to Pelé’s name.” - Hiroji Kiyotake

“Kiyotake, If you check if Pelé’s real name was ‘Samus Arantes,’ that’s a little incorrect. He’s called ‘Something’ Arantes Nascimento, and only ‘Aran’ matches. (Laughs)” - Yoshio Sakamoto

Pelé´s real name is Edison Arantes do Nascimento. Meaning, they said "Something Arantes" which became "Samus Aran"

Chev

The game is FF9, the opponent Ragtime Mouth. It asks quiz questions which the player has to answer to win the fight. Note the quiz card he's holding:

Now, the other face of the quiz card, which is probably near-impossible to get a close look of in-game:

Texture:

It reads: "Pop Quiz! FF10's theme is GUTS! True or false?"

Several monster textures also have little doodles hidden in the alpha channel of unmapped regions but no specific message.

(crossposted from Selectbutton)

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Chev said:
The game is FF9, the opponent Ragtime Mouth. It asks quiz questions which the player has to answer to win the fight. Note the quiz card he's holding:

Now, the other face of the quiz card, which is probably near-impossible to get a close look of in-game:

Texture:

Several monster textures also have little doodles hidden in the alpha channel of unmapped regions but no specific message.

Well, that's... pretty awesome actually. Neat little Easter egg.

Koren

Erigu said:
You're not arguing "something" became "Samus", right?
Something Arantez in Japanese will quite naturally become Samus Aran...

You translitterate it in Samushingu Arantesu, and take the beginning of both words, which Japanese do often (they usually keep one syllabus, like Todai for Tokyo Daigaku or two).

Quite classical gairaigo, like amefuto for ame(rican) foot(ball) or pasocon for perso(nal) com(puter).

In fact, Metroid from Metro Android sounds more surprising to me... Pretty interesting (I love this thread)

Platy

Chev said:

[...]

...what ???
That is cheating ! xD

Gravijah said:
Does he go Super Saiyan?!

Sun Wukong possesses an immense amount of strength; he is able to lift his 13,500 jīn (8,100 kg or 17,881 lbs) staff with ease. He is also superbly fast, able to travel 108,000 li (54,000 kilometers or 33,554 mi) in one somersault. Sun knows 72 transformations, which allows him to transform into various animals and objects; he has trouble, however, transforming into other people, because he is unable to complete the transformation of his tail. He is a skilled fighter, capable of holding his own against the best generals of heaven. Each of his hairs possesses magical properties, and is capable of transforming either into a clone of the Monkey King himself, or various weapons, animals, and other objects. He also knows spells that can command wind, part water, conjure protective circles against demons, and freeze humans, demons, and gods alike.[1]

Even better.

Lesath

Gravijah said:
Does he go Super Saiyan?!

Well, no, but he calls himself the Great Sage Equalling Heaven, fucks up Hell's filing system so he can't die, eats the Empress of Heaven's immortality peaches, beats the crap out of heaven's army, and only gets his just desserts when takes a piss on the Buddha's fingers and gets flattened under a mountain for 500 years.

Sun Wukong possesses an immense amount of strength; he is able to lift his 13,500 jīn (8,100 kg or 17,881 lbs) staff with ease. He is also superbly fast, able to travel 108,000 li (54,000 kilometers or 33,554 mi) in one somersault. Sun knows 72 transformations, which allows him to transform into various animals and objects; he has trouble, however, transforming into other people, because he is unable to complete the transformation of his tail. He is a skilled fighter, capable of holding his own against the best generals of heaven. Each of his hairs possesses magical properties, and is capable of transforming either into a clone of the Monkey King himself, or various weapons, animals, and other objects. He also knows spells that can command wind, part water, conjure protective circles against demons, and freeze humans, demons, and gods alike.

Lesath said:
Well, no, but he calls himself the Great Sage Equalling Heaven, fucks up Hell's filing system so he can't die, eats the Empress of Heaven's immortality peaches, beats the crap out of heaven's army, and only gets his just desserts when takes a piss on the Buddha's fingers and gets flattened under a mountain for 500 years.

Sounds like Star Wars stats from whenever MamaRobotnik makes a versus topic. "Our ships are... 45265626 Giga-Megametermiles long... and... a single laser can shoot 23809 times per second, with the power of 10... hundred... BILLION suns! Yeah! And each ship has 52075200 of these lasers! And Darth Vader can just force-choke everyone from a galaxy away."

Lesath

Kulock said:
Sounds like Star Wars stats from whenever MamaRobotnik makes a versus topic. "Our ships are... 45265626 Giga-Megametermiles long... and... a single laser can shoot 23809 times per second, with the power of 10... hundred... BILLION suns! Yeah! And each ship has 52075200 of these lasers! And Darth Vader can just force-choke everyone from a galaxy away."

I apologize for my enthusiasm for a hilarious character in Chinese literature?

Top Bottom