• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

jaxword

Damn some of you guys are reaching... The Deku Tree is far-fetched as it can get.

No, I think that one is legitimate, it seems perfectly fitting that when they were designing the lush art of OOT they'd scan over some old Zeldas for inspirations. It's not some GRAND OVERALL VISION THEY HAD FOR 30 YEARS, but as a reference it's quite likely.

i always thought that one dude's baten kaitos avatar was a bird with a big old happy beak smile until i realized it was a guy in some kind head wrap thingy

the one that looks like fusion suit samus? cause i thought it was some kind of middle eastern samus.
Are you guys talking about me? If so, it's just Guillo's "Wanted" poster in the game. It's wrong about the character because the enemy's dumb, of course.

GK4E01-218.png

Myriadis

Another little thing I never noticed, even though it is so obvious:

In Majoras Mask, the owner of the trading post...

... and the owner of the Curiosity Shop are one and the same person, just without the wig and some sunglasses on.

Some characters in Majoras Mask are actually just palette-swapped/barely changed copies of each other, but here's further evidence:
  • The Trading Post closes for one hour at 9 P.M. and the Curiosity Shop opens at 10 P.M.
  • If you talk to the guy who has a part-time job in the Trading Post after 10 P.M. with the stone mask equipped, he wonders they have so much money even though they don't have much customers. (Actually, I even didn't notice that some people in that town say something different when you wear that mask).

It's so obvious, such a paper-thin disguise, and a nice little touch I never noticed. One of the reasons I love Majoras Mask so much.

BHZ Mayor

Another little thing I never noticed, even though it is so obvious:

In Majoras Mask, the owner of the trading post...

... and the owner of the Curiosity Shop are one and the same person, just without the wig and some sunglasses on.

Further evidence:
  • The Trading Post closes for one hour at 9 P.M. and the Curiosity Shop opens at 10 P.M.
  • If you talk to the guy who has a part-time job in the Trading Post after 10 P.M. with the stone mask equipped, he wonders they have so much money even though they don't have much customers.

It's so obvious and a nice little touch I never noticed. One of the reasons I love Majoras Mask so much.

Also the models for them are the fisherman from OOT. The Trading Post one is from the child time and the Curiosity Shop one is from the adult time. Not a mindblowing fact though since almost every character is a model from OOT, but it is amazing how they took the exact same assets and created brand new compelling characters from them.

Koren

Retired in 1936, thanks to the discovery of penicillin.
Just to send you an e-cookie for bringing the reference I would have brought... ^_^ I love this book.

By the way, speaking of Pratchett, I'm wondering since the release of Bad Fur Day...

gregg_2.jpg

Is Gregg the Grim Reaper a tribute (in reverse) to Pratchett Death?

He arrives with a very strong, low-pitched voice but finally has a very high-pitched one (Pratchett's Death always speak in CAPS), truly hates cats (Pratchett's Death love them), etc.

Seing how many references are included in the game, that would be only one more, but I can't be sure of this one, and I would welcome thoughts on this.

I discovered this Super Mario Bros. 2 music glitch (seen in the video) as a child. A few years ago I worked as a game tester for Sega in San Francisco and as part of the interview process I had to give an example of a game bug I had discovered on my own. This is what I wrote about...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yJTvgypGOQ

I'm afraid that's a known SMB2 glitch, but kudos for discovering it on your own as a child.

Mendrox

hey I'd like to thnak you for the Videogame that you posted
i think it'll be good free online Game btw Browsergames
I want to recommend you an Blog for Online games in Arabic; English and French and great strategy and action online free games in Arabic- English to read more see the link on

http://www.arabogames.com/

Well I never thought that I would see the day that a spammer posts on NeoGAF... lol

Salsa

I want to recommend you an Blog for Online games in Arabic; English and French and great strategy and action online free games in Arabic- English to read more see the link on

to think that people wait and wait to get into GAF

and now this happens

I will click your link but first please listen to my family story. I have recently inherited a large sum of money and ask your help in retrieving it. I will be grateful to your assistance and will pay you 2,000 $(US) for your efforts. Please send your contact info and bank number to my email address.

Bulzeeb

My first thought was "bullshit, they just look similar". But damn, it's the exact same sprite minus "E". New cloudbush?

I don't think thats the case, its more like a case of reusing assets from one game to another, btw I remember capcom using similar items or stuff in some NES games like that Capcom star thingy

I don't think thats the case, its more like a case of reusing assets from one game to another, btw I remember capcom using similar items or stuff in some NES games like that Capcom star thingy

Well, it'd be one thing if it was just a similar item, but it looks like they really just copy-pasted an incredibly easy to draw sprite from one game to another.

But speaking of similar sprites, in the Amazon stage of Ducktales, there's a rolling rock that looks quite similar to one that was going to be used in a cut boss fight in Mega Man 4:

dTHfq.jpg

ReyVGM

I don't think thats the case, its more like a case of reusing assets

Yes, Cloudbush.

btw I remember capcom using similar items or stuff in some NES games like that Capcom star thingy

That's different. The Yashichi is always the same item. But in the Megaman 2 - Ducktales example, they are totally different things.

Myriadis

Even Nintendo does this stuff, sometimes even not hiding that they're reusing sprites in different games. The rupees you see in the first Zelda are actually from Clu Clu Land.

I don't think that Capcom recycling art assets is really a mindblowing fact.

Though, this does remind me that the original Duke Nukem for PC did steal art assets from both Mega Man (PC Version) and Turrican...

duke-crates.gif
megaman-crates.gif

duke-barrels.gif
megaman-barrels.gif

1.png

http://dosclassics.com/duke/1other.php

ReyVGM

Every company in those days recycled their assets, but that's not the point. The point of CloudBush and BlockTank is that no one made the connection, even after looking at them side-by-side, until someone pointed it out.

Top Bottom