• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

CryptiK

Did you know that in the Fallout: New Vegas DLC Lonesome Road you can find a fossilized dog named "Seymour," in an obvious reference to Jurassic Bark, an Emmy-nominated episode of Futurama?

Seymour.png
Did you eat the nugurt

Myriadis

Has anyone else seen this? The fish in Mario 64 can jump! I've played the game dozens of times and never noticed that.

http://youtu.be/vxKdRV1BiQ0

I initially thought that you meant the big fish in Tiny Huge Island (or, as the german version likes to say it, Gulliver Goomba, I love that one). But yes, it's just a fish that spawns then you jump out of the water.
I remember reading it somewhere before and I think that it is a lovely detail. There is a lot of stuff I never noticed before in SM64, and I played it so often. Mario coughing in toxic haze or warming his hands in ice levels, butterflies that turn into bombs, stuff like that.

Desiato

Maybe this is nothing big, or even well known already, but here's something I discovered:

A few days ago I was playing Skyward Sword and broke a pot with a fairy in it. What I noticed was how the fairy seemed to be mirroring my movements. If I circled the control stick around quickly, you'd see the fairy circling around rapidly as well (but I think it was in the other direction). Has anyone else come across this? It makes me wonder how it is in other Zelda games.

Parallacs

Yes there is. In Crystal skull if I'm not mistaken. He gets inside to shelter from a nuclear explosion. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

You are wrong. There is no Indiana Jones movie with a "crystal skull". I'm so glad the Last Crusade tied up the trilogy nicely.

the joke is the fridge sequence invalidated the whole movie

bjork

Did you know that in the Fallout: New Vegas DLC Lonesome Road you can find a fossilized dog named "Seymour," in an obvious reference to Jurassic Bark, an Emmy-nominated episode of Futurama?

Seymour.png

There's a whole list of stuff in FNV that's in reference to other things, but iirc this and the fridge are only accessible with the Wild Wasteland trait. Also lets you get an alien pistol (I think?) where the crashed vertibird is, and there's some old ladies in freeside that attack you with rolling pins or something. Don't remember all the specifics, I'm sure they're on the fallout wiki.

bengraven

There's a whole list of stuff in FNV that's in reference to other things, but iirc this and the fridge are only accessible with the Wild Wasteland trait. Also lets you get an alien pistol (I think?) where the crashed vertibird is, and there's some old ladies in freeside that attack you with rolling pins or something. Don't remember all the specifics, I'm sure they're on the fallout wiki.

Yep.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Wild_Wasteland

Okay, I'm almost sure this was acknowledged 50 pages before, but there is something I think AmeriGAF don't know: the look of Madison Paige from Heavy Rain was probably borrowed from the Monica Bellucci character in The Stone Council, a 2006 French movie:

You can look the movie trailer, if you are not convinced.

dose

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Today I learned Final Fantasy XIII was apparently inspired by LOST, explaining the narrative structure where they utilize flashback at the beginning of each chapter in order to advance the story.

And that Sazh and his son therefore are probably meant to be Michael and Walt.

(also both feature an annoying Australian girl)

All these music "comparisons" just make me realize that most people are either tone deaf or musically illiterate.

Edit: except whistling. It seems like most people who can whistle have pretty good pitch doing it.

dark_chris

In one of the campaign levels in Call of Duty: World at War, if you step on certain puddles in correct order, the screen starts to shake and 4 statues rise from the sand saying things (can't really understand it) to you and grant you the Ray Gun (found in the zombies segment of the game).
The Ray Gun is a one hit kill weapon.... and blows up tanks with one trigger
I thought this was so awesome

d74b05db42be02cae0588c19156a4a19.jpg

tauroxd

Today I learned Final Fantasy XIII was apparently inspired by LOST, explaining the narrative structure where they utilize flashback at the beginning of each chapter in order to advance the story.

And that Sazh and his son therefore are probably meant to be Michael and Walt.

(also both feature an annoying Australian girl)

No, FFXIII has an annoying Australian girl, Lost has a beatiful and awesome Asutralian girl :)

This isn't so much mind blowing but amazing how a glitch can be known in one region and almost completely alien in another.

I'm talking about the Undercover world glitch in Super Mario Bros. No, not the negative worlds but the cartridge swapping one...wait, cartridge swapping? Now you see why you probably didn't hear about it...

But basically it requires SMB and Tennis. Pull SMB out, reset with Tennis in. Number of steps in Tennis=starting world in SMB, thus you can beyond world 8 up to world 256 (yes its all randomly made garbage...).

Theres a youtube video of it here being done on a top-loading NES.

For a better write-up go and more info (more Japanese magazine coverage*) here and (more technical) here.

*-Its kind of neat how world 9 and probably worlds A-D in lost levels were as a result of people seeking secret levels.

Ydahs

This isn't so much mind blowing but amazing how a glitch can be known in one region and almost completely alien in another.

I'm talking about the Undercover world glitch in Super Mario Bros. No, not the negative worlds but the cartridge swapping one...wait, cartridge swapping? Now you see why you probably didn't hear about it...

But basically it requires SMB and Tennis. Pull SMB out, reset with Tennis in. Number of steps in Tennis=starting world in SMB, thus you can beyond world 8 up to world 256 (yes its all randomly made garbage...).

Theres a youtube video of it here being done on a top-loading NES.

For a better write-up go and more info (more Japanese magazine coverage*) here and (more technical) here.

*-Its kind of neat how world 9 and probably worlds A-D in lost levels were as a result of people seeking secret levels.
That really is awesome. Thanks for sharing.

Here's a small one: While playing "Layton and the last Specter" I noticed that you can move around the shoe- and briefcase-icons, as long as you don't lift the stylus after tapping them. Don't know if you could already do this in the previous games, but it was new to me.

mclem

Here's a small one: While playing "Layton and the last Specter" I noticed that you can move around the shoe- and briefcase-icons, as long as you don't lift the stylus after tapping them. Don't know if you could already do this in the previous games, but it was new to me.

It's mentioned in the tutorial?

Think it first appeared in that one, I certainly don't remember accidentally moving the icons in previous ones anything like as often as I did there!

It's mentioned in the tutorial?

Think it first appeared in that one, I certainly don't remember accidentally moving the icons in previous ones anything like as often as I did there!

Could be, I didn't pay much attention to the tutorials because I already played the other games. Hope it doesn't get too annoying.

MikeOShay

Neo Member
The style is the same, but if you listen to Penguin Race it's just a country'd up version of Bob-Omb Battlefield :p

And based on that, one could be surprised to learn that most songs in that game are just heavy variations on the same general melody. But I think that might've been explained in this thread already in better detail.

Top Bottom