• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

FoxSpirit

Okay, so many wtfs, espcially Papa Oom Mow Mow o_O

And btw, on the X Box 360 thing... did anyone forget the triangle is GREEN??? It's... almost believeable
psyduck.gif

batbeg

Wyndstryker said:
Just noticed this thread, and then this post.

There is a reason why they are the same.

Tales of Symphonia is in fact a prequel to Tales of Phantasia.

The point was the similarity to Hang On, not between Symphonia and Phantasia :p

Haunted

BirdFlu said:
I dunno if anybody's mentioned this yet, but I noticed it last night. Ever take a look at Remedy's company logo?

620px-Remedy_Entertainment_logo.svg.png

Take a look at what's inside the 'R'. Nothing less from the guys who brought you bullet time in Max Payne
oh snap! never noticed the bullet.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
FoxSpirit said:
Okay, so many wtfs, espcially Papa Oom Mow Mow o_O

And btw, on the X Box 360 thing... did anyone forget the triangle is GREEN??? It's... almost believeable
psyduck.gif

and the circle/ring is red. It's all coming together but what does it mean?!?!

Ermc_G6

My roommate swears that the little logo on the skateboard of TMNT for NES is a watchmen reference. I guess he could be right because both came out around the same time.

1z52d6q.jpg

Think he might be right?

Ermc_G6 said:
My roommate swears that the little logo on the skateboard of TMNT for NES is a watchmen reference. I guess he could be right because both came out around the same time.

1z52d6q.jpg

Think he might be right?

Watchmen.jpg

Wow, apparently it is. :lol If not, it's a hell of a coincidence.

Ermc_G6

The game came out about two years after the book did. I wonder if there is any connection between the two, like, someone who worked on watchmen also worked on the game.

woxel1

Ermc_G6 said:
The game came out about two years after the book did. I wonder if there is any connection between the two, like, someone who worked on watchmen also worked on the game.
Unnnnnnnnlikely.

I'll contribute my little tidbit here, and I don't think anyone may have said this.

A little known glitch in Tecmo Super Bowl on NES causes every team in the NFL to turn to the Buffalo Bills. If you simulate a season and every team in the NFL does not clinch their division until the final week, every team will turn into the Bills. So you will have Buffalo Bills vs. Buffalo Bills. I've only seen this once in all the times I've played this game, I was over a friends house and we decided to play just for the hell of it and simulated a season and randomly every team turned to the Bills. Some Bills teams went like 30-6, some played like 4 games. It was odd as hell. And the stats were ridiculous.

Koren

Rewrite said:
That Castlevania one just blew my mind. Wtf.
what ? Me too... I'm impressed, I never recognized the place on the box.

y2dvd said:
Is that the Disneyland Castle or what?
What are you talking about ? If that's Castlevania, the real place is Mont Saint-Michel, a medieval village build on a tidal island in west of France ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mont_Saint_Michel , and it's mentioned in it!). It's a very popular place, I think it's the most visited place in France (or the second most visited behind Eiffel Tower, depending on sources)

Datschge

soulhouf said:
Are you sure that Camelot is involved as well?
Better late than never: The link between Wolfteam and Camelot is Masaaki Uno. He was the only composer when Wolfteam (temporally) separated from Telenet Japan, hired Motoi Sakuraba (and also Yasunori Shiono) as composer and continued to serve as director, producer and coordinator until leaving in 1994. At that time Shugo Takahashi (the younger one of the brothers) separated from Sega/Sonic Software Planning and formed Camelot Software Planning (both groups merged under the latter after SF3). Masaaki Uno serves as coordinator and sound director there ever since (also explaining why Camelot always employed Sakuraba for music).

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I think i remember the "Snake from the first Metal Gear Cover is based off Kyle Reese" from this thread...

KyleReese.jpg

But i've been searching for the Contra Cover Stalonne/Schwarzenegger animated gif and I couldn't find it on this thread (But i remember seeing it on gaf).

So here it is:

nes_contra_animation.gif

And there's a bonus from the european version of Super Contra, which i didn't know of:

lance-bean-super-contra-sylvester-stallone-rambo.jpg

Sorry if this has been posted, but i swear to god i looked for it. Like, four times the past months.

Yeah, Konami was really bad about artwork for their NES games, especially using stills from movies.

Don't remember if it's in this thread or not, but apparently part of the Simon's Quest boxart is taken from a D&D book.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
EmCeeGramr said:
Yeah, Konami was really bad about artwork for their NES games, especially using stills from movies.

Don't remember if it's in this thread or not, but apparently part of the Simon's Quest boxart is taken from a D&D book.

Yeah, I think it's in here somewhere. Pretty famous picture, too!

shaowebb

Don't know if anyone else here remembers this from Zelda or not.

The original version of The Great Fairy did NOT look like that creepy cackling ugly ...thing.
I had a magazine that had images of the original who was later dubbed Blue Fairy.
Here is a trailer with her in it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57PHsWo4q0I

And now a patch that shows she is STILL in the game code.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiE_gMtJ_Uw&NR=1

Also the Dragon in Ocarina of Time was programmed by directly importing an Arwing from starfox into Zelda's code and editting it. This is also still in Zelda and can be brought out and fought usinga gameshark code.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-BCWpDPZt8

----
EDIT:
Here is one for those who never noticed it before.
mindblown.jpg

stilgar

Maybe not absolutely mind blowing, but I realized this yesterday, watching Mario Bros by the Gordon College:

In the original Mario Bros, Mario is breaking the blocks not with his head, but with his fist:

asupermario2vm.gif

However, in SM 64, he doesn't hesitate to endanger his life :

m64anbw0.jpg

I dunno when the switch has been done. But trust me Mario, one day you'll pay the price for crushing your neurons.

stilgar said:
Maybe not absolutely mind blowing, but I realized this yesterday, watching Mario Bros by the Gordon College:

In the original Mario Bros, Mario is breaking the blocks not with his head, but with his fist:

I dunno when the switch has been done. But trust me Mario, one day you'll pay the price for crushing your neurons.
I'm pretty sure he uses his fist in all the games.

Supa

Filter said:
Oh shit. is that schwarzenegger grinning in the background there?
Evil bastard!

bareknuckle2-cover.jpg

bgassassin said:
The guy in the white muscle shirt look like Van Damme. :D

But there's more... The muscle guy with the black hair looks like Sylvester Stallone!

450px-Sylvester_Stallone.jpg

Sword Familiar

radiantdreamer said:
Speaking of plisken, remember Snake's codename in MGS2? Iriquos Pliskin? Heh. :)

It's the first thing that came to mind when I played the game back in '47.

Additional: You guys are really stretching it with that Bare Knuckle 2 cover.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
stilgar said:
However, in SM 64, he doesn't hesitate to endanger his life :

Mario uses his fist in all games.

What's more interesting, though, is how they transitioned Mario's punches from his left hand to his right hand with the advent of the 3D games.

Atreides

DavidDayton said:

What's more interesting, though, is how they transitioned Mario's punches from his left hand to his right hand with the advent of the 3D games.

I don't think so... in 2D gaming, Mario punchs from his left if he is jumping from left to right and from his right if he is jumping from right to left.

Xrenity

DavidDayton said:

What hand does he jump with when walking to the left of the screen? I assume the right?

/edit
Wow that was late.

Koren said:
what ? Me too... I'm impressed, I never recognized the place on the box.

What are you talking about ? If that's Castlevania, the real place is Mont Saint-Michel, a medieval village build on a tidal island in west of France ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mont_Saint_Michel , and it's mentioned in it!). It's a very popular place, I think it's the most visited place in France (or the second most visited behind Eiffel Tower, depending on sources)

I mean regarding the Disneyland castle, I guess the opening CG with the castle in SOTN does look very similar to the Disneyland castle.
Notice the unfinished textures as well.

disneyland_paris_castle.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5SFJf0vGJA

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Atreides said:
I don't think so... in 2D gaming, Mario punchs from his left if he is jumping from left to right and from his right if he is jumping from right to left.

Eh. His default position is right to left, and when in that position he punches with his left hand.

It's interesting because while the 2D games have Mario using his "back" hand, the 3D games (including the Brawl titles) always use his right hand, which means that any sideview will look "off" due to his face being obscured.

KevinCow

Banned
DavidDayton said:
Eh. His default position is right to left, and when in that position he punches with his left hand.

It's interesting because while the 2D games have Mario using his "back" hand, the 3D games (including the Brawl titles) always use his right hand, which means that any sideview will look "off" due to his face being obscured.
It's not really that interesting. It's just the easiest way to do it in either way. Creating one set of sprites and flipping it when he's facing the other way is easier than creating two sets of sprites, and creating one animation to play regardless of which way he's facing is easier than creating multiple animations depending on how the camera's looking at him.

Rufus

He's hitting him in the side of the head then, but I think he just points to the front actually. In an "Attack now!" sort of way.

Mind un-blown.

Sword Familiar

I think it looks more like Mario is giving Yoshi an order to stretch his tongue out. Yoshi reacts before the alleged "hit" lands.

Rufus said:
He's hitting him in the side of the head then, but I think he just points to the front actually. In an "Attack now!" sort of way.

Mind un-blown.

Beaten...

Filter

Sword Familiar said:
I think it looks more like Mario is giving Yoshi an order to stretch his tongue out. Yoshi reacts before the alleged "hit" lands.

Beaten...

that 'reaction' is a flinch, because he knows the fat bastard on his back is about to crack him in the back of the head again.
Mario is basically force feeding Yoshi.

Rufus

I'm going to destroy your attempt at a joke and tell you to press ESC at the right moment. It'll stop the animation and you'll be able to see how wrong you are. :p

joetachi

I dont think this ones here but i found out just a few days ago.Butterfree looks more like the evolution of Venonat than Venomoth. Look at the eyes,nose,teeth,hands and antenna.
24cv59i.png

epmode

Filter said:
that 'reaction' is a flinch, because he knows the fat bastard on his back is about to crack him in the back of the head again.
Mario is basically force feeding Yoshi.
I choose to believe this. Mind = blown

Chao

Well, something that I learned yesterday on GAF:

Dreamcast logo wasn't RED, it was ORANGE.

dreamcast-logo.jpg
IMG_0003-4.jpg

I've been living in a lie all these years.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
2v8p9fn.jpg

Conker bad Fur Day was the first game that put the character on the side of the screen when you use the gun , this copied by Resident Evil 4 , Gears , Uncharted and tons of other 3rd person games , the game invented that position and it was a Platform game ...irony ?

Ermc_G6 said:

Think he might be right?
Given that the Turtles were loaded with homages to comics Eastman and Laird liked (in particular Frank Miller's Daredevil), this one seems pretty likely. Good catch on your roommate's part.

Top Bottom