• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

upandaway

I figured I'll contribute a bit from what I know, while the latest pages are still somewhat Zelda.
I haven't gone through the whole thread though so I don't know if it was said already..

Wind Waker Trophy Gallery said:
Mako
Personality: At first glance, quiet
Least Favorite Thing: Having his glasses touched by strangers
"Mako is called the brains of the ship and the king of invention. He may look like a weakling, but his glasses give him keen eyesight, and he's unstoppable when mad. Not many know this, but he keeps a knife hidden in that thick book of his.

Now take a look at Shad from TP.

Prime Blue said:
CAPCOM is the abbreviation for the original company subsidiary called Capsule Computer. Nothing spectacular about that, but guess where the other syllables went...

SULEPUTER
though Wikipedia told me this too as I googled for "Suleputer" megaton none-the-less!

iidesuyo

Olrox, one of the boss enemies from Castlevania: Symphony of The Night, who has his own quarter in the castle...

SoTN_Olrox.JPG

...is based on the charakter of Count Orlok from the silent movie "Nosferatu". He's also called Orlok in the JP version.

Schreck.jpg

The movie was supposed to be an adaption of Bram Stoker's Dracula, with Orlok being Dracula, but the studio did not get the rights back in 1921.

joetachi

KevinCow said:
You know what, Cubone's always bugged the hell out of me. How does its mother dying and it deciding to wear her skull make it an entirely different species? It makes no goddamn sense.
Its simply really Cubone has the bones of the dead mother and uses them for combat making it have a different fighting style than a normal Kangaskhan. The baby Kangaskhan probably gains the ability to evolve into from the bone or the cranium. Im taking this too seriously but it seems plausible since we know certain items or situations can change the out come of a pokemons evolution

oracrest

iidesuyo said:
Olrox, one of the boss enemies from Castlevania.......

ooh, castlevania reference time! I always liked they did Orlok in Castlevania. that design is actually pretty acurate to Stoker's description of the man, moreso than the black caped slicked back hair that we know him as now.

Another boss, Scylla, is based off a Greco-Roman mythological character of the same name, from Homer's Odyssey.

gfs_50215_2_9.jpg

2024.jpg

although, my favorite Castlevania bit of trivia is that the "zombie" characters that you fight in the Colosseum of SOTN are the characters that you can play as in Castlevania 3. Nothing too obscure, but I always liked that they brought back that same group.

cv3fight.png

castlevania3.jpg

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Alright, here is one I learned about today and threw me in for a bit of a shock... everybody remembers LJN, right? Horrible NES games made off of licensed properties. And everybody knows Atlus of course... but, did you know that Atlus is rumored to have been responsible for a few early LJN titles, including Karate Kid? (and Jaws was developed by Westone of Wonder Boy fame).

http://gdri.smspower.org/wiki/index.php/Blog:6#LJN_and...Atlus.3F has more info - basically LJN contracted some stuff out to Atlus, and it is believed Atlus further contracted games out, i.e. to Westone. I find this pretty mindblowing, considering how much I revile those old LJN games, and how much I love SMT/Persona. Didn't even know that LJN contracted the work out to Japanese developers either, I thought it was all in-house or American devs.

Johann

KevinCow said:
You know what, Cubone's always bugged the hell out of me. How does its mother dying and it deciding to wear her skull make it an entirely different species? It makes no goddamn sense.

Let's not go into the whole 'how are Ghost Pokemon created' conundrum.

Sagitario

upandaway said:
I figured I'll contribute a bit from what I know, while the latest pages are still somewhat Zelda.
I haven't gone through the whole thread though so I don't know if it was said already..

So... many... little... details... [and polish] :D ...
I really like this kind of things in games...

OMG Aero

I don't think the whole "Cubone wears its mother's skull" is actually true. I mean, you can breed a Marowak in the daycare and you still get a normal Cubone.
Is the skull thing actually mentioned anywhere outside of the Pokedex? Because the Pokedex does make a lot of shit up.

The thing blown my mind is the Legend of Zelda manual.

1) It shows Link in the cave with the old man. Picking which weapon to pick.
veu8p2.jpg

2) It's actually from the beta version with the Japanese text blacked out.
1zlxgtk.jpg

3) Here's the close up picture in the American manual.
mreknk.png

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Kinda badass if they let you play through the game with a banana instead of a sword.

upandaway said:

*Stuff about Mako*

:O

This is like finding out that the dude who runs the hookshot challenge in Castle Town was basically Tingle in the WW timeline.

bjork said:
This is an interesting thread, but there's no really "mind-blowing" anything lately, just factoids. Come on guys!

I thought this was common knowledge, but I mentioned it in passing to my friend this weekend and it blew his mind, so...

In Super Mario Bros. you can become Fire Mario while you're small. It's a glitch; to do it you touch Bowser and the axe at the same time at the end of any fire level. If you do it right, you won't shrink back to small Mario, but the effect of mushrooms will reverse and the next mushroom will make you shrink. Then you can get a Fire Flower to become small Fire Mario.

edit: found a (not very good) youtube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIgTFfsL9OA

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Diablohead said:
Yep added in the new classless update.

I never realised that glove was the same as an engi's, some reason I thought it was a spare pyro glove. Mind blown.

One could argue that they're married... Hah! So Spy is cheating with Pyro who is actually Engineer's wife and Scout's mom? XD

Baconbitz

Banned
Little Green Yoda said:
Possibly old, most probably a stretch...

...but doesn't the TWEWY logo look vaguely like an angel instead of 3 buildings?

logo.jpg
OMG I'm not the only one.

On another note has anyone said in this thread what Sonic was origionally?

Johann

Baconbitz said:
OMG I'm not the only one.

On another note has anyone said in this thread what Sonic was origionally?

There is a laundry list of these things for TWEWY

For example:

Pin_255.png
Pin_256.png

Pin_257.png
Pin_258.png

Pin_259.png
Pin_260.png

Pin_261.png

ROYGBIV'D

...and the stones in the center are increasing by increments of one.

unreon

Kilrogg said:
I don't understand the first spoiler.
ROYGBIV = red orange yellow green blue indigo violet. Colours of the rainbow in order of decreasing wavelength.

But indigo isn't exactly a colour, so it's now dropped for the most part.

Newton, who found that white light is a rainbow spectra of colours, didn't like the idea of six colour bands and added indigo to make seven. Six is apparently the sign of the devil.

OMG Aero

Kilrogg said:
I don't understand the first spoiler.
They are the colours of the rainbow.
HUELEN10 said:
This may or may not be a stretch, YOU decide!
Pokemon Diamond Sandgem Town Night
At Seventeen

Obviously the tempo is different, and the way the song is song might seem odd as the lyrics don't fully flow with the music, but I think it's there.

Thoughts on this GAF?
The songs sound a bit similar but it's not really mind blowing that two songs sound alike.

wondermega

what Sonic was originally? wasn't he a rabbit named "Feel," with ears that would grab enemies or something? Then I believe they scratched a lot of that and held some internal contest at SOJ (Sega of Japan) for "design our new mascot," got lots of crab characters and things - someone submitted the standard "sonic with attitude look on his face, legs crossed, pointing finger up" and that was the winner. They took that as impetus and made a game out of it. the "rabbit" thing went on to become Ristar (which I never played), but it's not hard to see since a lot of the menus/UI stuff looks very familiar to the early sonic games.

BTW I haven't read/thought about this stuff in several years, so pardon me if I'd got a couple of these details a bit foggy/mixed-up. Before the Sonic Maniacs go jumping all over me!

Top Bottom