• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame writing you would pay for – what do you want?

FryHole

This thread is a spin-off from this one, inspired by a comment by fellow Gaffer and jewel in Kotaku’s crown Jason Schreier and my response to it. Jason said (bolded bit is mine):

Welcome to the world of media in 2013, where top ten lists get traffic, so websites have to do them, because readers won't pay for content. If you have a solution to that problem, I'm all ears.

I raised an eyebrow at that, and replied

My kneejerk, entirely unhelpful response to this is to say 'write content people are willing to pay for'.

That wasn’t all that I wrote, of course, or it would rightly be dismissed as snark, but even so the conversation didn’t go any further; perhaps because it was a fast moving thread, perhaps because it was a crap post that deserved no further analysis (I guess we’ll know the truth when this thread sinks without trace). But I’d like to expand on the rest of the comment here, and I’d be interested to know whether I’m in a minority. If so, it’d be nice to know how small a minority that is, and from the people who do feel similarly – what kind of videogame journalism would you pay for?

The situation as I see it is this – I didn’t leave videogame magazines, they left me.

I’m in my 30s, from the UK, and bought videogame magazines from the late 80s onwards. I regularly bought: ST Format, Zero, Mean Machines, Game Zone, GamesMaster, Total, Super Play, N64 Magazine, Nintendo Magazine System (and the Official rebrand), and for the brief time it lasted, Arcade – which I reckon is the last game magazine I would have cheerfully handed over money for. Edge has always been too up itself for my liking, overly worthy with a too-serious tone.

The magazines above have, to a greater or lesser extent, this in common – an irreverent, piss-taking style of writing that probably resonates deeply with British readers raised on the likes of Monty Python (you can see the ghost of it at Eurogamer, the closest modern online equivalent), and, particularly the older magazines, a sense of community in the form of writers that were ‘characters’, running jokes, pointless but very funny features, letters pages (superior to modern comments sections by their very nature, filtered for decent content and sometimes with extensive replies from the writers). It was all very silly, and I loved it. I bought every copy of the best magazines I could get my hands on and am still prone to despair when I remember I threw many of them away in a mass clearout in my mid-20s. Hell, I even bought Amiga Power on occasion because it was so in tune with the kind of writing I liked, and I didn’t even have an Amiga (the original Master Race, you bunch of superior bastards).

Here’s an example from probably my favourite magazine - Zero. You had the writers as characters: Duncan MacDonald, dumb as a stump and dreaming of blu-tac. Jane “wife of Jonathan Ross” Goldman, the saucepot. David “Macca” McCandless, who I think was portrated as a violent psycho, the toff Lord Paul Lakin and so on. You had letters with running jokes like the somewhat strange reader Ludwig Ledbury, “appearances” by Gyles Brandreth and Norris McWhirter (who had a strange proclivity for death by hanging), an excellent and in depth regular feature on adventure games that nonetheless cheerfully portrayed the genre as the domain of bearded nerds and was all the better for it, and more. The reviews themselves were often set-pieces, written in character or with a particular scenario playing out and while the scoring was overly generous (they were pioneers of the fabled 7-10 scale) the text was often still comprehensive and informative.

Zero went to pot with an incredibly ill-advised rebranding as an XXXTREME magazine with more of a console focus, and only limped along for a few issues in its new format. Other magazines died as the machines they wrote about fell by the wayside, but there is surely no reason the same quality couldn’t be achieved with new computers/consoles as the focus. GameZone – which began with Dennis Publishing and was then taken over by Future – continued in the same vein, with particularly spectacular reviews like the one for The Last Action Hero that played out as a script from The Last of the Summer Wine, guest starring the reviewer (in disguise) and Arnold Schwarzenegger.

And then they started going downhill. I resolved never to hand over money for the Official Nintendo Magazine the day I saw them referring to the Playstation and Saturn as the Greystation and Sadturd (honestly). The combination of irreverence and good content dried up, and the magazines either became industry cheerleaders or adopted a more Edge-like ‘serious bizness’ approach – this may or may not have something to do with industry involvement, but this comment by Stuart Campbell may be relevant:

Games mags, of course, had been moving in this direction since the mid-1990s, when Future Publishing found out how many copies you could shift by having the word "Official" in your name and telling readers that everything was brilliant. It made gamers feel good about their games consoles, applecarts (ie the major game publishers and the hardware companies whose names the mags carried) were very rarely upset with critical reviews for triple-A releases, and for a while the money poured in.

By the end of the 90s, there was pretty much nothing left I’d want to open my wallet for. But – and here’s the thing – I didn’t stop buying magazines because I could get this stuff for free off the internet. I stopped buying magazines because there was nothing left worth buying. I don’t think I started regularly reading gaming websites until around 2008 when I discovered Eurogamer, so that’s nearly a decade of just not consuming games journalism because the stuff I like simply wasn’t there. I’ve actively looked for gaming content that I’d want to subscribe to, be it magazine, e-magazine or website. I miss the days of getting a new magazine and reading it front to back. I miss moving from section to section, the sense of community and character, the in-jokes and daft stuff that’s in there for no reason except that it’s funny. I don’t think it’s there though.

Eurogamer is capable of producing some good stuff, and much of Jason’s work at Kotaku gets, and deserves, praise here on Neogaf. But it’s not what I’m after as a consumer – it feels (sorry, Jason) more disposable. I’ll have a click and a read and it’s interesting and I enjoy it, but I don’t love it like I loved those magazines. I don’t reread it for the sheer pleasure of it and I don’t look forward to the next article, I just click it when I see it. This isn’t a criticism of the quality of the work; it simply isn’t work I want to pay for – but that doesn’t mean I don’t want to pay.

So many thanks for anyone who made it through that wall of text. What I’d like to know is – is this an atypical experience? Is it really that unlikely that there’s money to be made by producing this kind of content again - these magazines at their height were very popular, it can't just have been through lack of alternatives and actual content be damned, surely? Is there a gap in the market that is genuinely too risky to attempt to fill, or are the content providers just not willing to try? Are even they capable? And if you feel similarly, what is it that you'd be willing to pay for?

One final thing – I’ve clearly left myself wide open to the nostalgia counterargument here. That these magazines weren’t nearly as good as I remember them, much like the games they covered. That’s fair, and entirely possible. All I can say in reply is that firstly, I clearly remember the relatively swift decline in quality and making the decision to stop buying them – that happened in real-time, as it were, so any nostalgia filter was likely pretty small. Secondly, I’ve played videogames recently that give me the same joy as I did when I was a kid. If they can do it, I don’t see why videogame writing can’t.

Jawmuncher

I definitely loved paying for magazines back in the day.
I loved reading them more than once especially for the articles present. Which I feel is something newer magazines are lacking in. When I get a GI the first thing I read is the retro article in the back of the magazine which is by far the most interesting item in the whole issue exclusive reveal be damned.

I know for me to pay for content I would prefer a magazine more so about the industry and everything else then what new games are coming out. Not to mention i'd like for the writers to be their own personalities as well bringing their own flair in. Since as of late with magazines the people writing all sort of blend together which I don't find a good thing.

Zabant

I'm afraid to say, there is simply no written content regarding games coverage I would be willing to pay for either in print or online at this point. Games coverage is so over-saturated and with the internet being what it is, you can always find a good writer willing to cover anything and everything any paid site is offering for free.

Jeff Gerstmann of giant bomb has it right, it's all about video content and more specifically the personalities behind the content. That's why I pay for a GB membership.

I used to buy an Aussie mag called Hyper for many many years. I used to read it from cover to cover. I bought it because the writers at the time were absolutely hilarious, their writing style was so wacky and insane with many ongoing in-jokes (BLAU!!). It's heyday was when Cam Shea was editor (now of IGN AU). You can occasionally get glimpses of his fucked up (yet awesome) humour on the IGN Pubcast but I reckon they told him to tone it down because he doesn't really do it anymore :(

I stopped buying Hyper when they decided to go all serious, article after article with not an ounce of humour or personality in it from the writer. It bored me to death.

Now I don't buy any mags and am strictly online.

Sad. I'd pay for something good again.

It's not strictly writing, but I've been paying for Giant Bomb's personality-based video content for a year or two now.

What I really would want to pay for, though, is long-form video game criticism. Like, actual critical analysis, like films and literature gets. The problem is, I don't really think there's anyone really visible right now who I'd pay to get that kind of thing from.

But yeah, give me in-depth production and technical writing. Give me long-form, properly researched, intelligent criticism (granted, most long form criticism of game writing would be "it's basically trash," but still). I'd eat that kind of thing up.

FryHole

Not to mention i'd like for the writers to be their own personalities as well bringing their own flair in. Since as of late with magazines the people writing all sort of blend together which I don't find a good thing.

Jeff Gerstmann of giant bomb has it right, it's all about video content and more specifically the personalities behind the content. That's why I pay for a GB membership.

I stopped buying it when they decided to go all serious, article after article with not an ounce of humour or personality in it from the writer. It bored me to death.

Blimey, thread consensus only four posts in! I agree with you all, it was the characters/personalities (even if they were author creations) that contributed greatly to the appeal of the best magazines.

I'm envious of you US fellows and your Giant Bomb. It seems the closest thing to what I'm after but the US flavour isn't for me.

Jintor

I used to buy an Aussie mag called Hyper for many many years. I used to read it from cover to cover. I bought it because the writers at the time were absolutely hilarious, their writing style was so wacky and insane with many ongoing in-jokes (BLAU!!). It's heyday was when Cam Shea was editor (now of IGN AU). You can occasionally get glimpses of his fucked up (yet awesome) humour on the IGN Pubcast but I reckon they told him to tone it down because he doesn't really do it anymore :(

I stopped buying Hyper when they decided to go all serious, article after article with not an ounce of humour or personality in it from the writer. It bored me to death.

Now I don't buy any mags and am strictly online.

Sad. I'd pay for something good again.

Funny, cos that frat-boy humour never resonated with me. Of course, I've always been a Powerplay man.
But I write for both of them, so whatever

Staines and Wilks are still around, there's a hint of that style floating if that's your thing.

Funny, cos that frat-boy humour never resonated with me. Of course, I've always been a Powerplay man.
But I write for both of them, so whatever

Staines and Wilks are still around, there's a hint of that style floating if that's your thing.

Well, Hyper was soooooo much more popular back in those days so I guess "frat boy" humour sells with the majority.

I couldn't stand Wilkes. Grumpy old shit he was lol. He's one of the reasons I stopped buying the mag.

EDIT: woops! Double post. Sorry.

Growing up I bought nintendo power, gamepro, and egm. At the time they were great but if I read them now I would hate them, I have a gameinformer subscription from gamestop powerup rewards, its awful and im piling up a bunch of unread issues hoping my subscription runs out soon. I would definitely pay for something like that zeboyd games blog on w101. And a while back I read a article about a street fighter players long road to evo( i think it was on polygon..eww) but it was cool. Actually I liked seanbaby's stuff on egm too.

You know what I love! superbestfriendcast, its a podcast by the two best friends play guys, I like their opinions, they talk about stuff I care about(fighting games. anime, lots of character action/platinum stuff, to summarize its kinda like giantbombcast except they care more about Japanese games) they bring in video game news, complain about shitty developers, regurgitate alot of info from blacklisted sites i hate in a way I can tolerate(ign, destructoid, etc) and they all have awesome personalities.

Jintor

Well, Hyper was soooooo much more popular back in those days so I guess "frat boy" humour sells with the majority.

The entire medium of print is going under these days, so I dunno if it was only the writing style that was responsible for mad sales (or more to the point declining sales)

FloatOn

I had years and years worth of Electronic Gaming Monthly magazines back in the 90s.

It's a real shame I tossed them all out.

I agree with OP's sentiment.

Mandoric

Banned
I don't think I'd be willing to regularly pay for the mainstream console gaming centric old news-cheerleading reviews melange no matter how well it was written. Console games themselves have gotten far narrower in scope and easier to follow and make snap pre-release judgements on, even as the games have gotten cheaper; this isn't the '90s where planting one guy in an apartment in suburban Japan and telling him to go games shopping every week could get you a wealth of info you'd never get from the publishers months in advance.

I'd be interested in:

a) A PC/mobile-focused (and hopefully spreading out with the new console indie initiatives those as well) dedicated to picking out wheat from the chaff. It's extremely difficult to follow those due to the sheer volume, so 40 or 50 in-depth reviews a month by people who understand games would be amazing. Think an expanded version of Gameological Society's Sawbuck Gamer series.

b) Detailed historical information or analysis of games that already exist, like Retro Gamer's looks back or the teardowns that Parish does online.

c) A magazine that knows it's completely owned, drops all pretenses, and seizes the advantages inherent. Famitsu is the standard scapegoat of the western press, packed with even more blatant cases of reviewers not playing and complete with an on-the-record publisher admission that scores are based on hype level. Famitsu is also 20 pages of worthless reviews combined with 50 pages of seriously fresh preview content that usually hasn't broken online yet, and if I'm dropping five or ten bucks for a magazine that's a lot better value proposition than 20 pages of iffy reviews and 50 pages of stuff that had a GAF thread two months prior.

Dylan

The way I see it, I don't pay for article-based writing in any form these days. Not gaming focused or otherwise.

The information I want is all online, and the perspectives I like are on podcasts and message boards. The only form of game writing I would be willing to pay for is if somebody wrote an interesting full length book. I'd probably pick something like that up before a flight or something.

I used to pay for power unlimited

they were highly critical, lambasted games for bugs , told you everthing you wouldn't want to find out only AFTER buying the game and if a game got a 9 you know it was something special. There were no ads.
You read their review and you'd know what you were getting and there would be no surprises when you started playing.

They weren't for sale and they did their own research.

Never once bought a game I regretted while I read that. I stopped reading modern games junnalism because it ended up in buyer's remore half of the time.

They want their ad money, they want to suck up to publishers so they can maybe get a job in pr some day use their current job as a step ladder, they don't want to play games long enough to properly judge them and they want to get paid by the reader as well.

I want reliable information

It's nice to want things, isn't it games junnalists.

FryHole

I'm Aussie and I think Giant Bomb's bloody great. Have you given it a shot? If not, do so.

Right now.

I have wandered over there from time to time and it's never really seized my attention, but maybe I've not given it a fair shake. It's quite hard to disobey an order coming from this:

image.php

I had years and years worth of Electronic Gaming Monthly magazines back in the 90s.

It's a real shame I tossed them all out.

I agree with OP's sentiment.

Thanks - it's heartbreaking, isn't it?

I don't think I'd be willing to regularly pay for the mainstream console gaming centric old news-cheerleading reviews melange no matter how well it was written. Console games themselves have gotten far narrower in scope and easier to follow and make snap pre-release judgements on, even as the games have gotten cheaper; this isn't the '90s where planting one guy in an apartment in suburban Japan and telling him to go games shopping every week could get you a wealth of info you'd never get from the publishers months in advance.

This is a very good point, it's not like you can just recreate the golden era by getting some sufficiently talented people to do the same thing, and it's a side I hadn't considered much. Whatever it is that I would end up buying is unlikely to look like what I used to buy. I guess I'll know it when I see it - the revival is going to depend on both publishers and consumers trying out different things to see what works.

Mugatu

I agree with you.

It's sad that we not only don't have any real journalists who cover gaming but that the bloggers and mouth pieces we have don't even have the imagination to do anything than follow each other's ideas instead of coming up with anything on their own.

I have wandered over there from time to time and it's never really seized my attention, but maybe I've not given it a fair shake. It's quite hard to disobey an order coming from this:

image.php

Lol! I discovered them by stumbling onto their podcast (Bombcast). I recommend listening to the podcast for awhile first, because it gives you a sense of their personalities and then check out their gaming videos on their site. I have to admit, I don't read their written stuff much, I just watch the quick-looks and things.

And if you're not a podcast guy? Neither was I until I listened to a few episodes of Bombcast and got the "feel" of it.

LevityNYC

Banned
People pay for GiantBomb?

This whole industry is screwed up. Its become "Hey everyone I totally know some inside information about games but I can't say it because reasons. But trust me, it's a BIG DEAL."

Mandoric

Banned
Oh, I think there's also room for well-curated theorycrafting/meta publications for the more popular MMOs and multiplayer games. The pace of patches in League and DotA make this a little iffy in print until it gets big enough to support national weekly distribution, but seriously sites like mobafire are a goddamned wasteland of "can't do basic math" and even for major MMORPGs it's a pain in the ass tracking down things like FF14's best-possible socketing or optimal combination of dropped/token gear at any given level.

People pay for GiantBomb?

This whole industry is screwed up. Its become "Hey everyone I totally know some inside information about games but I can't say it because reasons. But trust me, it's a BIG DEAL."

What you say is generally true but I wouldn't include Giant Bomb in that group. I have never seen them do that personally.

Deleted a big huge post to cut to the point (fake edit: with a still fairly large post)

Videogame journalism reflects all of the worst parts of the gaming culture. Raging bias and deep undergraduate level insecurity and desperation for legitimacy and recognition.

We have a largely immature culture in the gaming world and that will likely always be true. I won't ever be interested in paying for content that caters to that culture.

More importantly, the internet has largely made gaming journalism pointless and whatever use that gaming journalism still has is an artificial one propped up by the industry.

That community and personality the old mags had? It's here on NeoGaf, it's over on GameFAQs, it's on Neoseeker, it's all over. We are that personality now. The news can be delivered to us directly as Nintendo has opted to do. Early impressions can be built by us through demos. We as a whole community give the most unbiased reviews available through an unscored concensus. We're most of us not afraid to get angry and speak out when there are tangible problems with our hobby. There are shills and especially apologists aplenty in the community, but their soapboxes are only as high as everyone else's.

Game journalism exists mostly as a hype machine, in my opinion. They're no more qualified to give opinions than anyone else, they're just given specific and exclusive access to the content being opined on. And they're given this exclusive access in an age where media can easily step around them for one reason: to hype us up.

LevityNYC

Banned
I just tried to watch the video review of Battlefield 4 on GameSpot. It was preceded by a 30 second ad for.....wait for it.... BATLLEFIELD 4!!!!

HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO TRUST ANYTHING SAID ABOUT THIS GAME?

I just tried to watch the video review of Battlefield 4 on GameSpot. It was preceded by a 30 second ad for.....wait for it.... BATLLEFIELD 4!!!!

Fuck me, that's ridiculous. Were there Doritos too?

It has become apparent Giantbomb don't even know much about things already out and known.

I have noticed that. Sometimes they seem surprised to hear about some gaming news or a game that is widely known about, which shocks me. But I've noticed this from all outlets, especially the IGN crew.

RaikuHebi

Banned
www.actionbutton.net

www.insertcredit.com

Stuff that talks about the development history of a game, such as this:
Making of Crash Bandicoot:
http://all-things-andy-gavin.com/2011/02/02/making-crash-bandicoot-part-1/

Analysis of a game like this, but in written form:
MGS2 Analysed:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-2YuPGYabw

History of genres/games such as this but in written form:
History of the RPG:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=sglKS-HfZMw‎

History of Earthbound:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvyb_oNybOI

braves01

Banned
I have noticed that. Sometimes they seem surprised to hear about some gaming news or a game that is widely known about, which shocks me. But I've noticed this from all outlets, especially the IGN crew.

This is true. They're kind of in their own little bubble, but it's one many people like so the big gaps in their coverage don't really matter.

cormack12

Gold Member
I stopped buying video game mags when I was about 17/18. However, since buying an Android tablet I've never missed a copy of EDGE. I like the fact that google reader has the text only thing in it which strips out the garbage and huge screenshots and pictures (for the most part).

Going forward I'll continue to buy EDGE because I like its format and tone. I'd really like to see more analytics on the web with regards to games though. I'd like the scores to stop and games to be assessed like those film pie charts that have categories and themes the film contains.

I'd also like to see more recommendations. For example reading a God of war ascension article has a little section at the bottom which says games like god of war and lists the likes of Dante's inferno, Darksiders, DmC (all with various weightings relative to the similarities).

FryHole

That community and personality the old mags had? It's here on NeoGaf, it's over on GameFAQs, it's on Neoseeker, it's all over. We are that personality now.

I do agree with this - in my original reply to Jason on the other thread, I mentioned how Gaf seems to come closest to what I used to love. I think you can draw a direct line between the running gags of the great magazines and stuff like PREORDER CANCELLED, antoniobanderas.gif and the current Inception spinoffs, Cerny tub and so on. Some people hate it - I think it's terrific. To see a thread and just know someone has going to have already posted the image or reply you're thinking of is something to treasure.

Basically I think back then they were having great fun doing what they were doing, and it showed, just as it shows now on Gaf.

I've been looking through the Amiga Power archives, which has an extensive list of injokes and sayings

http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/ap2/language/lexicon_A.html#a

It also discusses the glorious concept reviews that I referred to in the OP - reviews written as a script, or some other meta madness

http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/ap2/language/concept.html

That website is a goddamn goldmine.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Gosh, I'm not so sure I agree on the "personalities" bent. Personalities and charisma might be ok for podcasting, but for writing I am really looking for 1) subject matter expertise and 2) you know, actual ability to communicate experiences and/or ideas effectively.

Reviews/previews and news are essentially worthless items in the press for me, but I would pay for a high quality feature-based magazine filled with pieces that approach games I like or liked from new perspectives.

IISANDERII

Let me see what in the hell is going inside EA. Or Activision and its Zampenalla+West blowup.
Or Microsoft.

And keep the PR machine as far away as physically possible.

Portugeezer

This is true. They're kind of in their own little bubble, but it's one many people like so the big gaps in their coverage don't really matter.

I think they put it on many times. I know Jeff is knowledgeable, when you see him on other websites or podcasts he is very well informed, but on Giantbomb he acts clueless. I never understood this. They already have Brad for this.

FryHole

Gosh, I'm not so sure I agree on the "personalities" bent. Personalities and charisma might be ok for podcasting, but for writing I am really looking for 1) subject matter expertise and 2) you know, actual ability to communicate experiences and/or ideas effectively.

Reviews/previews and news are essentially worthless items in the press for me, but I would pay for a high quality feature-based magazine filled with pieces that approach games I like or liked from new perspectives.

We might be coming at it from slightly different angles. I think what I loved was the magazines had personality - as crafted by skilled writers who may or may not have been playing a role. A person who is a personality, has charisma - I've not for much time for that. I don't like podcasts or video reviews/previews, and big personalities leave me cold. And don't get me started on anyone that calls themselves The Angry/Annoyed/Loud/Raging Whatever.

One example I can think of about personality in a publication is the Hyper magazine writers used to occasionally print pictures of themselves doing something silly and/or amusing that was related to a long running in-joke. I know it is a very minor example and it's not so much to do with the actual writing but, when do you see anything like this on IGN?

You might see it on their Facebook pages (I'm speculating, I don't do FB) or there Twitter but it should be incorporated in their articles sometimes. Just a touch of personality.

And then of course there is the writing aswell. That's another story.

To have another go at this, I'm thinking back to the days when I used to read Cracked all of the time. Not for the lists, which is where marketing (probably correctly) informs them they get most of their hits, but for the entertaining staff.

Personalities who could just write insane articles about whatever they felt like once their list quota was fulfilled and would refer to each other in various ways. That kind of culture in a publication is an entertaining thing and I can see how one could wax nostalgic about gaming publications that used to have that.

I could see this working if it was an unbiased publication. Give one guy Nintendo duty, one guy MS duty, one guy Sony duty, and even throw in some iOS guy and let them go at each other in good spirit. Suddenly you've got a publication with personality that covers all angles equally. I don't see any room for game reviews in a publication like this though, unless you had all contributors add to the review.

I'm thinking of something like Rossman reviews where the person who is passionate about the thing being reviewed takes up the majority of the space (and not always in a positive way) and then two other disinterested reviewers get their own mini reviews as well.

This is a major one, touching on the Famitsu and their chronic money-hat rumors is that during Doritosgate, I had a realization that having a larger percentage of ones' ads by non-video game manufacturers takes the yoke off of the back of those whose products one judges.

Right now and since the largely true death of magazines, the publishers that put ads for their games in the website we get game news in are the customers and us readers are part of what they're buying, not the other customers...

Break this and its two birds with one stone. That said...

The two things are is one, that level of deep insight is both too over the head of many readers and also is largely ignored in turn.

Two, that those who do those kind of retrospective and investigative journalism are often the best reviewers and previewers, seeing those things that need seen.

Jawmuncher

We might be coming at it from slightly different angles. I think what I loved was the magazines had personality - as crafted by skilled writers who may or may not have been playing a role. A person who is a personality, has charisma - I've not for much time for that. I don't like podcasts or video reviews/previews, and big personalities leave me cold. And don't get me started on anyone that calls themselves The Angry/Annoyed/Loud/Raging Whatever.

While I don't mind the person being a personality. i definitely agree about the magazine itself needing personality. Back in the day Stuff like gamepro, tips & tricks, and a multitude of others felt this way for me. Now though I read stuff like OXM and GI from time to time and it's just a bit depressing how they stay clear from stuff like that now. There's no reason to keep it so plain. I like game news and such as much as the next guy but if you're a print entity add some spice to it. Why should i bother reading the magazine for the info that's sitting on the computer if you aren't adding anything to it?

I'll start with a few, concrete examples and try to work my way out.

I would pay for Soren Johnson's writing on videogames. I guess what that means is that I'm not much interested in the skin-deep analysis that comes with most game reviews: even if professional gaming journalists at RPS or GB are better at it than the average troll on GAF, I learn more about the likelihood that I will enjoy a title from reading impressions here. I don't need professional product reviews. On the other hand, writing specifically focused on design theory, without bias among formats or genres, is a rare commodity that gives me a fair amount of pleasure. Soren would have an easier time than other authors coaxing money from me because he's an authoritative voice and his views are already of interest to me, but I don't think my interest in his sort of writing is limited to celebrity game designers. (Although a hypothetical subscription-based magazine or website would do well to have such an authoritative voice on hand, at least initially, to get me in the door).

I would pay for "Iwata Asks" or that enormous 4gamer (I think) interview with Miyazaki about Dark Souls. I guess that means I would pay for extensive interviews with game designers. Those specific interviews are on subjects that interest me more than the average video game, but I think I would be willing to pay a bit even for interviews concerning games that mean little to me (say, for example, Uncharted) if the interviews delved deep into the development process and how the designers thought about the game they were making.

I would pay for Opiate's posts on the business side of things. Industry economics and business strategies are much-bemoaned but rarely explored in depth. I would be pretty interested in writing focused on high-level business analysis of industry trends and the implications of new technology.

Now, I don't know that I would pay more than a few dollars per week for these individual items. But if you packaged them in one website and added the occasional insider info about the goings-on at certain studios, then I could see myself subscribing.

FryHole

There's some great responses in this thread so far, folks, thanks so much for engaging so constructively.

It occurs to me I've not really laid out what I'd pay for in the modern era, the OP is not far off just being a lament for a lost age. I'll be back with my own wish list soon.

Rafterman

Banned
I'm afraid to say, there is simply no written content regarding games coverage I would be willing to pay for either in print or online at this point. Games coverage is so over-saturated and with the internet being what it is, you can always find a good writer willing to cover anything and everything any paid site is offering for free.

I completely agree with the first part, there's no reason for me to pay written content when I can get the same thing from a few different forums or direct from the developers, publishers, manufacturers themselves. Pay for content? How about try getting me to start even visiting the site in the first place before you figure out a way to make me pay. Video game writing sites are irrelevant as far as I'm concerned, I've never felt less of a need to visit one in my gaming life.

The second part I completely disagree with. Video content is awesome, but these so-called "personalities" take away from the thing that's important, the games, and there is no way in hell I'd pay money to watch the GB crew do their thing. One of their hour long "quick views" is enough to me want to want stick forks in my eyes, and the actual content in one can be equaled in a 5 minute Youtube video without all the awful commentary. There is very little on this planet more annoying than a video game "personality", because they are mostly all the same...grating.

FryHole

Brace yourselves, folks - wall of text part 2. I've had a think about what would actually prise open my wallet... but first a few quick replies, I really appreciate the thought people have put into their posts here

@Jawmuncher
as of late with magazines the people writing all sort of blend together which I don't find a good thing.

Very true, many sites and the articles therein tend to blur into one, regardless of the quality of the articles themselves. There are very few recognisable voices, it's like everything is being written by committee.

@Mandoric
Console games themselves have gotten far narrower in scope and easier to follow and make snap pre-release judgements on

I do wonder if the state of the media reflects the state of the industry as a whole. As things have homogenised to target the widest audience possible, perhaps the writing has followed. Videogaming has lost the ability to delight and surprise as often as it used to, although perhaps that's just old age on my part.

@MoGamesXNA
There's a lot to be said for the lack of appeal of overly serious or negatively toned content. It gets tiresome. Mags back in the day seemed to love games. Bring back Zzap64 damnit.

Right there with you. The old timers seemed to pull off the trick of taking their job seriously while being utterly ridiculous. There's another quote from Stuart Campbell (I like him, you may have noticed) flying around about how he took his job very seriously even though it was 'just video games' because this was stuff kids were spending their pocket money on. We need more of that attitude.

@RaikuHebi - I like Action Button, he writes the kind of stuff I'd love to see in a magazine, but goddamn he needs an editor. I also like your suggestion of history of genres articles.
@Decoyplatypus - great post, thanks for taking the time.
@Rafterman - completely agree on videogame 'personalities'.

So, first off, we've established that I desperately yearn for Zero v2.0 even though that ain't going to happen. But as for current writing/writers - as mentioned above, I like Action Button/Tim Rogers as he seems to really be able to get under the skin of what makes a game good or bad, even when I'm struggling to articulate it myself I'll read his stuff and immediately think "ahhh, that's it!"

In a similar vein, I'd pay for a magazine that ran series like Socks Make People Sexy's whole set about Final Fantasy. The piece on Final Fantasy 7 in particular perfectly captures the essence of what makes that game so great, and crucially it is also so well structured and written that I've returned to it many times to re-read. There is little in 'proper' games journalism that has made me do that.

I like Rob Florence and thought that piece he did on Doritosgate was terrific. Had Eurogamer not have wimped out there and not let him quit I would still visit there regularly. Florence is the sort of writer I particularly like: cynical, profane, blunt, funny - like, actually, savagely funny, not sanitised breakfast show don't-startle-the-horses funny that seems to be the best we get from most outlets. People like that for reviews and editorials please, I want writers that aren't afraid to dole out deserved kickings and stand up for consumers, and not in the "lightly nibble on the hand that feeds and even then only when something particularly egregious happens" way we're overly familiar with.

I'd like previews that consist of little but screens, videos and descriptions of how the mechanics work, no value judgement, but then reviews that can be late as hell as long as they've played the game properly and not to a deadline or at an event ("DAY ONE!" syndrome will eventually kill this industry).

As mentioned by some others, I'd like in depth features on genres, really detailed analyses of classic games (not Eurogamer-style one page Sunday retrospectives - get in there nice and deep, boy), and a whole bunch of daft crap that's just there because it's entertaining and adds to the ambience. And for god's sake, it needs to be well-written, and I don't just mean from a technical perspective. As we've said a few times, so much quality writing in the modern era remains dry and humourless; it shouldn't be asking too much for articles that entertain both in content and style.

And I'd like all this down on paper, please - an actual magazine to hold and flip through. The world probably moves too fast these days for a monthly magazine, but I think I would pay for a fortnightly that along with the scheduled regular content of reviews and articles summarised recent industry happenings in a fun way, something that rounds up controversies and meltdowns and pokes fun at the participants, while still giving a decent overview of the situation because it's been written after the dust cleared and isn't hamstrung by the desire to be first off the press.

If clicks are still necessary, or at least an online presence required, it could be accompanied by a website that covers news - not meltdowns or PR fluff but solid previews and new media content - with the real meat still in the magazine. Perhaps forums for subscribers to keep abreast of breaking news without the site itself having to resort to clickbait. Maybe we could bolt it on the side of Gaf.

I dunno, like I said I'll probably only know what I want once it's already been produced, and what I want might be of such limited appeal that it's not worth producing. Some or most of the above might be a terrible idea. But thanks again to those who took the time to comment.

Top Bottom