• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vince Carter turns 40 today

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be happy if I can still walk at 40. Dude is superhuman to still be playing.

Also, the dunk contest actually felt like it was worth something back when he was in his prime. Idk, now it just feels...fake. Maybe it's nostalgia

jwhit28

I never really thought of Vince on the same tier as Kobe and T-Mac but he was certainly n that next bracket of wing players. It's crazy that the star people accused of getting by with only raw athleticism is the only one left from that era still in a meaningful playing role.

The fact that he was still able to contribute at a high level even in his late 30's shows what an incredible athlete this man is.

Think about this: Kareem was the NBA Finals MVP at age 37 and played until he was 41. At age 39 he still averaged 30+ minutes a game on a team that went deep into the playoffs every year. And he did that while being 7-2 tall and having no access to private planes like they do now. Those guys were even flying coach at times.

Jamison was a much better college player. Also a bigger recruit. He was one of those guys that did not develop much in college. VC was tailor made for the NBA game.

Exactly. Jamison was perfect for the college game at the time, but Vince was more of an NBA type player.

Kibbles

Seems like I had watched him forever ago surprised he's still an active player and only 40. (obvs I haven't kept up with the NBA in years)

So his exodus from Toronto still intrigues me to this day. I just remember him going from being the next Jordan and really embracing it to just completely falling off that track due to him supposedly choking away a playoff series against the Bucks because he wanted to attend his college graduation and the subsequent nursing of a leg injury (Raptor fans, would love some insight). It felt like all of a sudden, he decided that being a star player in this league wasn't worth the bullshit he had to go through and just jumped on the longevity vet track. Over the years watching him play, I always got the impression that he wasn't giving 100% like he did prior to all that drama early in his playing career. Maybe it's because of a lingering injury but then every once in awhile, you'd see a glimpse of his talent. I dunno maybe I'm being unfair here but it always seemed like he made the choice a long time ago that longevity>> winning..

Pakkidis

So his exodus from Toronto still intrigues me to this day. I just remember him going from being the next Jordan and really embracing it to just completely falling off that track due to him supposedly choking away a playoff series against the Bucks because he wanted to attend his college graduation and the subsequent nursing of a leg injury (Raptor fans, would love some insight). It felt like all of a sudden, he decided that being a star player in this league wasn't worth the bullshit he had to go through and just jumped on the longevity vet track. Over the years watching him play, I always got the impression that he wasn't giving 100% like he did prior to all that drama early in his playing career. Maybe it's because of a lingering injury but then every once in awhile, you'd see a glimpse of his talent. I dunno maybe I'm being unfair here but it always seemed like he made the choice a long time ago that longevity>> winning..

That is actually pretty damn good explanation Many fans in Toronto felt the same way at the time of his departure.

The M.O.B

carter36000.0.gif
l

Just did this yesterday

I hope the Raptors retire his number. He and Steve Nash(who I wished played on the Raptors) influenced Basketball to a lot of Canadian kids back in the early 2000s. He made me wanna play basketball too.

We wouldn't have guys like Andrew Wiggins or Cory Joseph without him

Happy Birthday Vince. Your dunks are still insane to this day

*psst* maybe you can some back to Toronto for one final playoff run?

Grizzlies. Developed an old man game, shoots 3s pretty well, regular part of the rotation, occasionally dunks

Like I said...feels like he just stopped giving 100% and just played in such a way to avoid injury. He wasn't just a dunker coming into the league. He had a fairly polished offensive game.

shira

As a massive raps fan he got mugged for over 2 years once he was the dunk champ. He got no calls and he tilted. Everytime he was touched he would cry to the refs and he was known as a crybaby and stopped driving altogether.

He either had to develop his shot or retire because teams would just beat the shit out of him. Wether he pissed Jordan off or wasn't anointed the Next One by Stern he did not get the calls that Kobe and others were getting. Which meant he had to complete every two point play like it was an and

I just assumed it was the NBA not wanting a star in Canada. If he had the room and the protection to develop without getting beaten up he could have been greater.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom