• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vince Vaughn and Mel Gibson to star in police brutality movie as disgraced cops

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not clear on the tone of this movie - then going to the criminal underworld to 'exact vengeance' sounds pretty god damn horrible, unless it's supposed to and Mel and Vince are playing the bad guys.

Cos, they can't seriously be making a movie about false accusations of police brutality can they? That's an pretty destructive and cynical way to make a bit of money. Western culture is too susceptible to that kind of far-right bullshit right now.
It's not quite clear from the description in the variety article. Here's another outlet:
In Dragged Across Concrete, a stolid, old guard policeman, Ridgeman (Gibson) and his volatile younger partner, Anthony (Vaughn), find themselves suspended when a video of their strong-arming tactics become the media’s special du jour. Low on cash and with no other options, these two embittered soldiers descend into the criminal underworld to gain their just due, but instead find far more than they wanted awaiting them in the shadows.
https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/809747-dragged-across-concrete-movie/

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
People are in knee-jerk reaction mode. The description says the cops join the criminal underworld. Why are people assuming that this is some right-wing police cheerleader movie?

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Yeah I mean Mel could be good in a Rampart type film about a shitty cop. He was great in Blood Father. But Vaughn is just not good. He was one of the worst parts of Hacksaw Ridge and from trailers of True Detective S2 he didn't look so great.

And yeah... that premise doesn't seem like it's going to really examine police corruption in an interesting way. Exacting vengeance... OK. Seems more like the same bullshit "sure they might bend/break the rules, but being a cop is hard and the world is full of danger and someone needs to take care of it." Heroes we deserve, not the heroes we need crap.

Edit: the longer description gives some hope that their descent into the criminal underworld will be more interesting, but that setup still sounds like bullshit.

Obscura

giphy.gif

According to this GIF Vince Vaughn has either spent decades practicing meditation or he is an actual psycho.

I mean, people should probably watch the movie before freaking out as much as they are. That synopsis might not be the whole deal.

At first I expected a Strange Days story about corrupt cops chasing after video evidence of their brutality. But they start out disgraced in this? Ok then.

SURGEdude

I mean, people should probably watch the movie before freaking out as much as they are. That synopsis might not be the whole deal.

I think Mel is a great director. I'm able to separate the person from the craft. And frankly Vince was the best part of Mel's worst, and massively overrated Hacksaw Ridge. Vince wasn't just good actually, he was Platoon/Full Metal Jacket good.

But those 2 are still massive douchebags. I'll only support them on Netflix, free passes, or my grandma's screeners that she still gets for god only knows what reason thanks to her 3 past ex-husband.

Yonafunu

Maybe I'm missing something, but from the description I'm not getting the idea they're supposed to be good guys.

The premise of this movie seems laser-focused at pandering towards people who complain about the 'SJW media'.

"Look at what happens when these cops are vilified for doing their jobs! They get persecuted into becoming criminals!"

I don't get this line. Who are they getting vengeance on? Why? "You've exposed our racist shit and brutality so we're going to kill you in response"? Seems like a very odd premise.
Let me be cynical:

They get suspended because of the video ---> guy they were beating goes free and turns out to be a rapist murdering gangbanging satan worshipper and illegal immigrant ----> they go to the criminal underground and slaughter brown and black people until they get to play out a revenge fantasy on the guy ---> PC liberal feds publicly arrest these brave warriors for the crime as a Blue Lives Matter protest goes on around them ----> ends with a cut to Bill O'Reilly(or fictional stand-in) asking "If they were right, why are they being punished?" ---> Trump watches a free copy in the white house movie theater, gets inspired, and gets congress to pass national stop and frisk and billions of dollars in funding for millitary gear to give to police departments across the nation.

SURGEdude

The premise of this movie seems laser-focused at pandering towards people who complain about the 'SJW media'.

"Look at what happens when these cops are vilified for doing their jobs! They get persecuted into becoming criminals!"

Mel's only really overtly racist once he gets a few drinks. His movies, when they involve non-whites in any fashion are usual the typical white savior stuff.

That or a fucking talking beaver hand puppet.

Slayven

I would love for the movie to be self aware and really take on the subject. I just don't think these two have it in them.

Addi

I don't think there's enough in the synopsis to know what's going on. It might be a bit like Luther, cops on the edge of the law type of thing.

SURGEdude

I would love for the movie to be self aware and really take on the subject. I just don't think these two have it in them.

I wish the same. Mel and Bruce Willis were kinda my 8-11 year old superheroes. And to be real there's a lot of talent there.

But no fucking way are these guys self-aware enough.

Especially Vince since he hasn't been shamed for being a cunt like Mel rightfully was.

Shaanyboi

Banned
"Mel has paid his dues! He deserves to be welcomed back into Hollywood."

"Omg that recording was from forever ago, get over it. People change!"

"Who cares about his personal life? He's a great artist!"

daffy

Banned
Guarantee the people that get "strong armed" won't be black. Probably be a downtrodden white dude. Hollywood will whitewash even the victims

LordKasual

Banned
"police brutality movie"

Bad Boys was a police brutality movie. Training Day was a police brutality movie. Hell every police movie ever is a police brutality movie.

It's only in real life that we pretend that cops don't beat the shit out of people. Movies have never had an issue with that. There's nothing in the OP or that article that suggests this is the type of police brutality that people in the thread clearly think it is.

hampig

From reading the synopses it sounds like Vaugh and Gibson won't be shown in a positive light in this. I don't think it's fair to judge it so harshly with so little information on it.

According to this GIF Vince Vaughn has either spent decades practicing meditation or he is an actual psycho.
I remember me and the wife on holiday, sitting in our hotel room watching whatever we could find on the basic channels and we decided to watch some random horror/thriller with Vaughan playing some psycho killer (don't remember the name).

The performance really felt uncomfortable in a way I have never had, not because of a great performance but just it felt like it came too naturally for him.

From reading the synopses it sounds like Vaugh and Gibson won't be shown in a positive light in this. I don't think it's fair to judge it so harshly with so little information on it.
We'll see.

If it comes out and it isn't a #BlueLivesMatter film, bump this and I will change my avatar to the poster of it for a month.

Assuming trump hasn't killed us all.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
I don't get it. I guess the synopsis doesn't paint the whole picture. I'm guessing the cops were "justified" in their brutality and once they're on paid leave they go off book and try to go after the people again?

Also, Vaughn is the younger cop? Dude can play the older, seasoned cop at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom