• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virginia sends bill to allow government employees to refuse same-sex marriages to Gov

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beefy

The state of Virginia has sent a bill that allows tax-payer funded agencies to discriminate against same-sex couples if they hold religious or moral convictions to its Governor for final approval.

House Bill 2025, which was being pushed by Delegate Nicholas Freitas, was earlier in February passed by the full House of Delegates.

This bill states that ”no person shall be required to participate in the solemnisation of any marriage."

People who do discriminate will not be ”subject to any penalty" if they are seen to be acting in ”accordance with a sincerely held religious belief."

The bill will allow discrimination against same-sex couple wanting to marry.

Freedom of religion!!!!

Tobor

Governor Mcauliffe will veto it, put it in a bag, shit in the bag, light it on fire, then send it back.

Eventually something like this will get through a conservative state, then they have a ready made challenge for the supreme Court.

What law? Excuse my ignorance.

Anyhow, thst law is so getting vetoed. I'm sure it was a symbolic vote anyhow.
Obama didn't sign a law passing gay marriage, but the Supreme Court legalized it. Which is actually even worse for this bill's constitutionality because SCOTUS' word is final.

kirblar

I thought Virginia was blue?

Why is this being submitted?
Because its f'ing purple and people who say it's blue don't understand the state one goddamn bit. Dems haven't had legislative control for my entire teenage and adult life.

We only win statewide elections.

Governor Mcauliffe will veto it, put it in a bag, shit in the bag, light it on fire, then send it back.

Also this is why voting for Governors matters.
Mr. McAuliffe, who has used his veto pen 71 times, said Virginia Republicans had pushed “nuttier, more socially divisive legislation than even North Carolina.”

“This isn’t scare tactics — this is actually happening,” Mr. McAuliffe said. “If you had a Republican governor, he would have had to sign them, and think where we would be today.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/11/us/state-republican-leaders-move-swiftly.html?_r=0

Machine

Which is actually even worse for this bill's constitutionality because SCOTUS' word is final.

Stare decisis ain't what it used to be. If Trump gets two appointees onto SCOTUS during his term, you could see the prior decision reversed if challenged.

emag

I thought Virginia was blue?

Why is this being submitted?

NoVA (and Richmond) is blue. Rural/southern VA is red.

NoVA is the most populous part of VA so for presidential and senatorial races, VA votes Dem, but internally there are a lot of other districts, which allows for Republican control of the state assembly (the legislative branch).

Ogodei

NoVA is the most populous part of VA so for presidential and senatorial races, VA votes Dem, but internally there are a lot of other districts, which allows for Republican control of the state assembly (the legislative branch).

Charlottesville and Williamsburg make other neat little blue pockets.

Kettch

If you don't want to marry people, find a job that doesn't involve marrying people. No one forces you to work in the government.

Kusagari

Virginia really shows how important it is for Democrats to at least coalesce around governorships.

The state would be a disaster without McAuliffe there.

Viewt

So what's the plan? Keep doing this until one gets through, and then string along the legal battles long enough to make sure it hits the Supreme Court after Trump's appointed two judges? Ugh, that better not work.

Republicans control the state legislatures in many blue states.

Because its f'ing purple and people who say it's blue don't understand the state one goddamn bit. Dems haven't had legislative control for my entire teenage and adult life.

We only win statewide elections.
Yikes. Thanks for info :) not American but learning more every day.

MarionCB

If you don't want to marry people, find a job that doesn't involve marrying people. No one forces you to work in the government.

Sadly, if a law like this gets through, I could see bigots deliberately getting in to these public offices in order to discriminate.

KRod-57

Banned
Doesn't Virginia law mandate that religion not be used to "diminish, enlarge or affect" civil capacities? Sounds like allowing people to enlarge their civil capacities based on religion to me... that is, if they are allowing them do to something that they would otherwise not be allowed, on the basis of their religious beliefs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom