• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arkansas passes measure to redefine marriage excluding gays in the US Constitution

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beefy

The Senate in the state of Arkansas has passed a resolution which seeks to define marriage, excluding gay couples, in the US Constitution.

The Senate in the Natural State today passed Senate Joint Resolution 7 by Republican State Senator Jason Rapert.

The measure defines marriage as the “union of one man and one woman.”

34 states are currently required for a constitutional convention to be held. This rises to 38 plus a two-thirds vote in both Houses of Congress to be ratified.

However, in an interview with a local TV station, Senator Rapert said he believed there were enough votes across the country for this to happen and claimed he was part of the “silent majority” that was “going to speak again”.

The motion will now go to the state’s House of Representatives.

I hope this doesn't pace, so fucking disgusting.

Strimei

So, I admit to not knowing it very well, but from what I can vaguely recall from my middle school civics course, a constitutional convention would be able to do far, far more than just that, and that is what really scares me.

zeemumu

There's a weird paradox about redefining religious rules to suit your needs and then defending your actions by saying that you're just following the rules.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Lol yeah this won't happen. Most people either approve of gay marriage or really don't care enough to want this. In fact I would argue that this is a waste of time and money by the government because gay marriage literally effects no one except allowing gays to marry. What a bunch of stupid assholes. If they can't even get Obamacare repealed they have no chance of this ever happening.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I love it when people claim to be part of a "silent majority". Makes me miss my imaginary friends.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Religious right to gays: "You can't just define marriage as you please!"

(some time later)

Religious right: *legally redefining marriage to exclude gays*

I can think of certain states that would agree to this, but there are certainly more than 12 that would object to it.

California, Oregon, Colorado, Washington, Massachusetts, Maine, Maryland, New Jersey, New Mexico, Hawaii, Delaware, Connecticut

And a few others.

This won't happen, let them waste their energy trying

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom