• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtua Fighter 5 1up.com review

nah, he's just complaining about the Sixaxis impressions and saying that there is no way he will be buying a stick

with an attitude like that, he had no intentions of buying the game in the first place

GeoNeo

I disagree.
A few years back no one gave a shit about VF, apart from it's fans, now it's being trolled like any other big name game. Which is great news!

And, I fully agree with gutter_trash who said you should put in the barcode of a game before you can submit a user review. It helps filter out the trolls.

DenogginizerOS said:
The sixaxis comments pretty much killed me getting this game right now. I will rent it, but it sounds like you have to import an expensive stick to play this game and well, I am not that dedicated.

If a game does not work well with the default controller of the system the game is being released on, how can you give it a 9.5?

The Sixaxis will be fine for you, honestly unless you are well versed in arcade sticks you'll play worse with the arcade stick for at least a few weeks.

Also, you have the DOA4 stick right? The build quality of that is not even close to the HRAP or Sega stick, but it's almost exactly the same as the cheap Hori PS3 stick you can buy in stores.

SickBoy

Singho said:
A 1 page review? I was expecting at least a couple of pages...meh. Hardly tells you anything.

Dear lord. I really never understood why people like four-page reviews. As I was reading this thread, I was preparing to write a post moaning about how overlong the review is... and then I hit this post.

Two long paragraphs of historical preamble (not to mention throwaway phrases such as, "VF5 is what it is.")... it could have easily been a much shorter, sharper review.

I'm sure I agree with James' opinion -- I won't be getting my VF5 fix until it hits the 360 -- but I think he could have been much more to the point.

I also didn't care for the disclaimer at the beginning. I'm sure it's true, but I would rather not be "told" it had no effect on the review, and make that judgment myself.

SickBoy said:
Dear lord. I really never understood why people like four-page reviews. As I was reading this thread, I was preparing to write a post moaning about how overlong the review is... and then I hit this post.

Two long paragraphs of historical preamble (not to mention throwaway phrases such as, "VF5 is what it is.")... it could have easily been a much shorter, sharper review.

I'm sure I agree with James' opinion -- I won't be getting my VF5 fix until it hits the 360 -- but I think he could have been much more to the point.

I also didn't care for the disclaimer at the beginning. I'm sure it's true, but I would rather not be "told" it had no effect on the review, and make that judgment myself.

Pretty much agree with everything you just said. :)

Srider

Banned
You guys do realize that any arcade fighting game is playing with a stick right?

I mean... if you are going to be playing VF5 on pads, you will be playing just as well (or not well) as if you are playing tekken or guilty gear on pads.

There is nothing wrong with the game being played on pads, you might have an easier or harder time doing various things with VF5 in the same way as you might have an easier or harder time doing various things in any other fighting game.

I really don't understand why people will not buy such a great looking and fun game simply because of the illusion that "you can't play it on pads." We prefer sticks just like any serious Tekken/KOF/MvC2/CvS/3s or Guilty Gear player will prefer sticks. No serious fighting game player will ever say that you can play any of these games on pads, but that doesn't mean any of these games such as VF5 is somehow completely unplayable for new players on pads.

Did you guys know that virtua tennis is played on sticks in the arcades? and that FPS are usually played with a mouse and keyboard? I don't ever see people complaining about games like virtua tennis or halo being "unplayable" because you are using a pad. Sure some player especially hardcore ones might prefer to use sticks/mouse/keyboard, but that doesn't stop other people from becoming competitive playing on pads. In fact, there are some seriously hardcore pad players in halo or even VF who are probably good enough to beat most people playing on sticks.

It's really stupid that people are holding the pad/stick issue against VF5, or even any other fighting games. How are you pad players going to play Tekken5 DR? it's just as demanding in many aspects like VF at high level.

Singho

SickBoy said:

Sorry, I should have made myself clearer. Considering how much Virtua Fighter 5 was being championed on the 1up show; and how excited the writers on the show were for the VF5 Tournament, and how Milky has been apparently "boring" people with talk about the game's system and how deep the game is (as heard in this weeks 1up show), I was expecting a thorough breakdown and explanation of the games new system and changes by Mr Milky.

I am really looking forward to seeing how things develop in the 1up tournament. :D Gutted it was cancelled this week, it will be a great segment. The segment where Ryan was playing with those guys from VFDC filled that void perfectly though.

It's not to say I thought the review was bad, but I was expecting a review with some analysis of some of the game play features, balancing and other elements which make VF5 awesome and as we continually hear...better then the rest of the competition.

When I said "Only 1 page?” I did not mean I wanted to read a review full of filler and fluff so it could have been stretched across more then one page, I just felt it was a bit short. Considering the enthusiasm, passion and love he has shown the game on the 1up show, I was expecting some of the finer details to come through in his review.

Sorry if I am coming across as a moaner, but I genuinely looked for the "Next Page" button when I got to the end of the review. I thought there would be a bit more talk about the areas I mentioned above, and not necessarily "4 pages". For such an anticipated and big game and being awarded a 9.5, I expected more meat.

That’s what I suppose is the beauty of forums like this though; you can discuss and read more impressions from a wider range of people to get more of an insight into games such as this, which can be missed or not touched upon by a singular reviewer. It's the first VF5 review I have come across, apart from reading thoughts of people here and on other message boards.

I'm playing fighting games on pads since they appeared, and I'm using PS pad design since 1995. For me it's actually harder to play fighting games with a stick. But that's just me.

As for review itself: why are you making it so hard to hate you 1up? First you flop some amazing games, and then you score something really high to ease on my nerves.

Ynos Yrros said:
I'm playing fighting games on pads since they appeared, and I'm using PS pad design since 1995. For me it's actually harder to play fighting games with a stick. But that's just me.

I too find it very difficult to use an arcade stick. D-pad > AS:D

I never liked using arcade sticks either. I used to remember wishing I could plug my controller into an arcade to play. I would have been so much better.

I actually prefer the arcade button layout for a fighting game, but seriously, I can't use a joystick for shit.

(keyboard/mouse is still infinitely superior to a controller though)

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
My Arms Your Hearse said:
(keyboard/mouse is still infinitely superior to a controller though)

A keyboard and mouse would work so well with a fighting game!

Grayman

Srider said:
I don't ever see people complaining about games like virtua tennis or halo being "unplayable" because you are using a pad.
Hi I am Grayman222 and FPS games should never be made for pads unless they are lacking a Y axis. :lol
I've played fighters on controllers a lot better than FPS games.

Though whenever i do get some next gen systems and a fighting game I am going to buy proper sticks and a table for them. I think that would make the game more of an event to play at the house.

Lyte Edge said:
A keyboard and mouse would work so well with a fighting game!

My comments were in reference to the poster who was saying that just because a keyboard/mouse setup is the "preferred" method of control by the "hardcore" FPS players doesn't mean that a controller pad can't suffice. I guess I agree in a way, but there really is no comparing the two in my mind... kb/m simply blows a controller away.

This is obviously a contrast with my position re: stick vs. pad for fighters.

XSamu

Banned
omg rite said:
You know what's just as bad as people giving it a 4.2?

People like you calling people stupid for not liking it then acting as if it's a fact that it "owns all other fighting games".

I don't give a shit about VF. I respect it, but Tekken, Soul Calibur? More fun.
Soul Calibur is not rly same kind of fighting game as it has weapons. But liking Tekken over Virtua Fighter.. you're a disgrace IMO

Fredrik

I bet the 360 version will get quite mixed scores all over the web just because of the 360 controller. I don't think every reviewer own the DOA4 stick and VF5 on the 360 controller must be nearly unplayable. I couldn't even do all the moves in VF4 on the DS2.

XSamu said:
Soul Calibur is not rly same kind of fighting game as it has weapons. But liking Tekken over Virtua Fighter.. you're a disgrace IMO
Well you never had a PlayStation system, so what can you know? I understand that you enter VF5 topics, as it will be on the console you have. But bashing TEKKEN, which is at least as good as VF, and has way more followers is plain stupidity.

Gattsu25

Banned
Ynos Yrros said:
Same boat as me

I'm also in the same boat as the person that has no VF playing friends

I however readily accept that my friends all suck...was never one for denial

f@luS

More than a member.
x3n05 said:
I fail to see how a game that shines best in multiplayer can get a 9.5 when it lacks online.

I fail to see yet a 3D fighting game playing well online.

DOa4 was a disaster

antiloop

x3n05 said:
I fail to see how a game that shines best in multiplayer can get a 9.5 when it lacks online.

I am sorry but these kind of games are best played in a couch with some good friends.

Works well in mp even with most of my none-gamer friends.

XSamu

Banned
Ynos Yrros said:
Well you never had a PlayStation system, so what can you know? I understand that you enter VF5 topics, as it will be on the console you have. But bashing TEKKEN, which is at least as good as VF, and has way more followers is plain stupidity.
I had a PSone and I have a PSP with Tekken DR. So I know what I'm talking about my dear friend. And I really do not like Tekken. Someone I know is one of the best Tekken players in Europe, he tried to convince me so many times why it's "so great". I tried to like Tekken DR, but I never liked it. So don't you say does unpleasend things to me. Virtua Fighter is much better IMO

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
f@luS said:

DOa4 was a disaster

I rarely had a bad game online, then again, I don't have a shitty connection.

XSamu said:
I had a PSone and I have a PSP with Tekken DR. So I know what I'm talking about my dear friend. And I really do not like Tekken. Someone I know is one of the best Tekken players in Europe, he tried to convince me so many times why it's "so great". I tried to like Tekken DR, but I never liked it. So don't you say does unpleasend things to me. Virtua Fighter is much better IMO
That's not what you were saying in the past. You were saying that you're an XBot and that you never owned a PlayStation system. Without owning PS2 you can't even say how good VF have been lately, there aren't that many arcades in Europe.

Oh, and which TEKKEN player you're talking about? I know all best TEKKEN players in Europe. Maybe we already met.

f@luS

More than a member.
Agent Icebeezy said:

I rarely had a good game online , then again , i have a 28mb download , 1.5mb upload connection.

Unless for you a 150ping is a good connection....under 60 is unplayable online

OverHeat

« generous god »
f@luS said:
I rarely had a good game online , then again , i have a 28mb download , 1.5mb upload connection.

Unless for you a 150ping is a good connection....under 60 is unplayable online
Europe?

f@luS

More than a member.
OverHeat said:
Yeah (and in one month , for the same price -30bucks- it will be 50mb symetric , optical fiber )

I think ive more than enough to play any game online but i still fail to see a good online fighting game (3d).

OverHeat

« generous god »
Play with other players that live near you then everything sould be fine. You got more then enough bandwidth :D

f@luS

More than a member.
OverHeat said:
Play with other players that live near you then everything sould be fine. You got more then enough bandwidth :D

well , im fine playing other game with Usa-Cad or even asian players....doa 4 is a laggy mess so i think its not the problem.

When everybody's got a 1mb upload at least maybe , but some pple are still far from that

Fabiollo

I love fighting games and I like Virtua Fighter (even though I prefer Tekken), and I find the review score a little too high. The game is excellent, of course, but imho it is not a significant step forward from 4 Evo. The gameplay is outstanding, as usual, but I didn't like the graphics, one of the new characters (Eileen) and I find the backgrounds disturbingly flat and unespressive. They look so static, and actually worse than 4 Evo/Tekken 5. I still think the game is great, but I expected a little more from next gen fighting. Maybe Tekken 6 will let me down too. Sigh.

senahorse

f@luS said:

DOa4 was a disaster

Agreed, and I am not going to attempt to compare both games as there is no comparrison, but at least it gave you the option, and I did get some games that had no lag.

senahorse

f@luS said:
well , im fine playing other game with Usa-Cad or even asian players....doa 4 is a laggy mess so i think its not the problem.

When everybody's got a 1mb upload at least maybe , but some pple are still far from that

Well maybe that's why I want it so much, as I do have have a 1Mb upload speed.

gutter_trash said:
enjoy the 360's D-pad in 6 months then
Lol, which is part of the reason I purchased a PS3 since I rather use the SIXAXIS d-pad. I think the reason people are having disconnects is because they have too many wireless devices, and the frequencies are interfering. I never had a single disconnect (had my PS3 for a while), but I don't have any other wireless devices around my PS3.

Anyway, awesome review (one of the few times I liked a 1Up review), so I can't wait to buy this.

XSamu

Banned
Ynos Yrros said:
That's not what you were saying in the past. You were saying that you're an XBot and that you never owned a PlayStation system.
No that's not true, I said I did not own a PS2. The "Xbot" part and "never owning a PlayStation system" were added by other people.
Ynos Yrros said:
Without owning PS2 you can't even say how good VF have been lately, there aren't that many arcades in Europe.
So just because I don't have a PS2 nobody I know has a PS2? So I've never played on a PS2? That's a little bit exaggerated don't you think.
Ynos Yrros said:
Oh, and which TEKKEN player you're talking about? I know all best TEKKEN players in Europe. Maybe we already met.
His nickname is "Malekith", chinese, from the netherlands, although I don't know if he uses that also for Tekken etc.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Agent Icebeezy said:

Exactly. It's not the developer's fault that your internet connection sucks. Nor do you have to play online if it does.

f@luS said:

DOa4 was a disaster
Mortal Kombat: Deception and maybe Armageddon.

Yeah, I know it's silly that Midway of all people actually succeeded in this...

(Just saying it has a good netcode, not that it beats any of the big 3D fighters out there.)

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
gutter_trash said:
nah, he's just complaining about the Sixaxis impressions and saying that there is no way he will be buying a stick

with an attitude like that, he had no intentions of buying the game in the first place

WTF are you talking about? You have a lot of audacity to think you know what I intended to buy or not to buy. Perhaps I really wanted to buy the game and it sounds like the sixaxis controls are not as good as they need to be to take full advantage of the game. Did you consider that, junior?

VF5 definitely controls better with an arcade stick.
James Mielke

But that is why I am renting it first. To be sure. But for those slagging on me commenting on the sixaxis issues, the reviewer is the one who said the game really needs to be played with a stick. I don't recall other fighting games I played on PS2 or PS1 having reviewers make it a point to say the game really needs to be played on a stick. Mielke bringing this up just raised a red flag and took the game out of the buy status and placed it in rental. Just trying to be a smart consumer.

Bad Boy, maybe us NC folks can arrange a tourney? :)

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Tain said:
I really have to ask why you'd just assume that because he's disagreeing with the score for the PS3 version he's going to buy the 360 version.

because games = feelings.

DenogginizerOS

Stinkles said:
because games = feelings.

:lol Yes, I am going to grab the proverbial Checkerboard and run away to my X360 version 'cause the reviewer's words hurt me and I don't want to play with the meanie PS3 owners.

Stinkles

DenogginizerOS said:
:lol Yes, I am going to grab the proverbial Checkerboard and run away to my X360 version 'cause the reviewer's words hurt me and I don't want to play with the meanie PS3 owners.

Don't blame the developers just because you only know mean PS3 owners. Etc.

DenogginizerOS

Stinkles said:
Don't blame the developers just because you only know mean PS3 owners. Etc.

I don't really blame anyone for the fact the controller doesn't work well (for some). All I am saying is that it is something to be aware of and has taken away from my wanting to buy the game on launch day. I believe you said you regretted spending your game budget already on VF5 in another thread. I am just trying to show spending discipline on my end and make sure I want to spend $60. As far as the meanie comment, that was in jest.

XSamu said:
No that's not true, I said I did not own a PS2. The "Xbot" part and "never owning a PlayStation system" were added by other people.
So just because I don't have a PS2 nobody I know has a PS2? So I've never played on a PS2? That's a little bit exaggerated don't you think.
His nickname is "Malekith", chinese, from the netherlands, although I don't know if he uses that also for Tekken etc.
I'm pretty sure you proved many times over that you don't like games on PS brand, I'm also pretty sure that you started liking VF just when it was announced as multiplat. I read your posts o other forum ;).
Oh, and I never seen the guy you mentioned on European tournaments, best European players come from England (Ryan Hart) and Poland.
Any fighting games fan, 3D fighting games fan in Europe should and probably does own a PS2. There aren't as many arcades here.
I wouldn't even adress you if you wouldn't attack the other guy. You said something quite offensive about him.

James Mielke likes Virtua Fighter 5?

In other breaking news: the sky is blue, sugar is sweet, kittens are cute and grass is green.

Stinkles

DenogginizerOS said:
I don't really blame anyone for the fact the controller doesn't work well (for some). All I am saying is that it is something to be aware of and has taken away from my wanting to buy the game on launch day. I believe you said you regretted spending your game budget already on VF5 in another thread. I am just trying to show spending discipline on my end and make sure I want to spend $60. As far as the meanie comment, that was in jest.

I was kidding. Although I admit it is hard to tell in threads like these.

I don't regret buying VF5 so much as I regret the timing of the US Tekken release. And I always liked the PS pad for fighting games.

DenogginizerOS

Stinkles said:
I was kidding. Although I admit it is hard to tell in threads like these.

I don't regret buying VF5 so much as I regret the timing of the US Tekken release. And I always liked the PS pad for fighting games.

No worries. Perhaps you, Luke, and I can some day play a rousing game of VF5 with pads and see how much of a difference it really makes. :)

Sega needs to make a PS3 Saturn controller, just like they did on the PS2. Give it a Saturn feel for the lame people like me who ran out of quarters to play at arcades back in the day

Top Bottom