• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown Enters the Ring on June 5

Ouch. This P+G remove G in one frame looks impossible.
That's not off much from doing Akira's classic one frame knee. Still difficult but definitely doable.

I dunno but it's bullshit.

P+K 236P646P+K44P+G or something bullshit like that. Haunts pulled it off but the stream was like "Yeah, that's bullshit."

Aw, yeah, that's the stuff. Hitting shit like that during a match just makes you feel so good.

Guess this is a good place to ask. I bought a HRAP3 with Virtua Fighter 5 all that time ago. Now I'm thinking of picking up a second stick so I can actually start teaching my friends to play it for real. Is this a good stick: Hori Real Arcade Pro.V3 SA?

I can find it for a decent price locally, and in that case I might make it my main stick.

It's that or the SCV Fighting Stick for the same price, a Hori Fighting Stick V3 for half the price or one of the Madcats sticks for about 30% more.

Yes Boss!

Guess this is a good place to ask. I bought a HRAP3 with Virtua Fighter 5 all that time ago. Now I'm thinking of picking up a second stick so I can actually start teaching my friends to play it for real. Is this a good stick: Hori Real Arcade Pro.V3 SA?

I can find it for a decent price locally, and in that case I might make it my main stick.

It's that or the SCV Fighting Stick for the same price, a Hori Fighting Stick V3 for half the price or one of the Madcats sticks for about 30% more.

V3-SA is a good stick. Go for it if you can get it for a good price.

Don't know your location but if it is the US then Hori USA has the official Final Showdown stick up for sale:

http://stores.horiusa.com/-strse-156/PRE-dsh-ORDER-cln--Virtua-Fighter-5/Detail.bok

Madcatz also has great deals on their stick through the next few days (check the arcade stick thread for details).

RedSwirl

This might finally be my chance to get into VF. I've only gotten a few chances to sit aside time for it over the years and it's always been kind of tough for me to get the techniques down, even for just fighting against the CPU.

When it comes to 3D fighters I'm mostly a Soul Calibur person, so any tips from that angle would be helpful. I already own VF3TB and 4 Evo, are those good for practice? I heard Evo had a really extensive tutorial mode. I just never had the time to really dive into it. In fact, the real reason I bought Evo was because of the VF1 10th anniversary edition inside it. I kinda have a thing for VF1 and it's old school, completely untextured 3D graphics. It'd be badass if we could get an HD remake of that.

This might finally be my chance to get into VF. I've only gotten a few chances to sit aside time for it over the years and it's always been kind of tough for me to get the techniques down, even for just fighting against the CPU.

When it comes to 3D fighters I'm mostly a Soul Calibur person, so any tips from that angle would be helpful. I already own VF3TB and 4 Evo, are those good for practice?
Decent practice, I suppose...but with less than two weeks to go, why not just wait for FS? That way, you come in fresh and don't have to unlearn anything they changed between iterations. And while it's not character specific, FS has a pretty badass tutorial as well.

Everyone except like maybe 200 to 300 people are going to be absolute scrubs at the game (myself included!), don't worry about it and just go in raw, 99% of the player base will be in your exact same shoes.

alstein

You are much more likely to see tougher comp on 360 initially due to VF5 being online there and 360 being tourney standard for vanilla.

It will catch up, provided the game lasts long enough.

VF5 to FS is a huge change, two weeks of VF5 won't be enough to matter really given the changes anyways.

Hey, where can I go to get enormous amounts of match footage? I remember back in the day Sega had an official upload channel. Or anywhere really, I just wanna watch some matches.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Hey, where can I go to get enormous amounts of match footage? I remember back in the day Sega had an official upload channel. Or anywhere really, I just wanna watch some matches.

Youtube or NicoNico right now since it's Japan only at the moment. Until the game launches here in the West, you're not going to find a bunch normally.

virtuafighter.com will have a ton of links under the vf.tv section of their forums. Other than that, yeah, Youtube and NicoNico (RIP Zoome.jp).

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
virtuafighter.com will have a ton of links under the vf.tv section of their forums. Other than that, yeah, Youtube and NicoNico (RIP Zoome.jp).

I was looking for that as well. It seems VF.tv isn't in FS's console port, though. I hope Sega patches it (or at least Youtube encoding support) in. But if the later, no 240p hard to see shit like Third Strike.

I have question for you VF vets. In browsing Virtuafighter.com and looking at combo lists like this one I see that a lot of them are character specific, indicated by the columns with initials.

What is the significance of the two columns under each character though? Also, what does the lower case n and c stand for? I'm guessing the c stands for counter-hit combos maybe? I just know the answer is gonna make me feel stupid.

I have question for you VF vets. In browsing Virtuafighter.com and looking at combo lists like this one I see that a lot of them are character specific, indicated by the columns with initials.

What is the significance of the two columns under each character though? Also, what does the lower case n and c stand for? I'm guessing the c stands for counter-hit combos maybe? I just know the answer is gonna make me feel stupid.

The Legend for those combos is on the top right of the page.

First column is closed stance (both characters have the same leading foot). Second Column is open stance (Southpaw vs orthodox). C is counter, N is normal hit.

"I have question for you VF vets. In browsing Virtuafighter.com and looking at combo lists like this one I see that a lot of them are character specific, indicated by the columns with initials.

What is the significance of the two columns under each character though? Also, what does the lower case n and c stand for? I'm guessing the c stands for counter-hit combos maybe? I just know the answer is gonna make me feel stupid."

You're correct that lower case c stands for counter hit, n stands for natural. The two columns indicate the foot stance required for the combo to work. Foot stance is how the two characters' feet are placed relative to each other.

http://virtuafighter.com/wiki/doku.php?id=vf5:system_part_1#stances

Top Bottom