• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novels Community Thread | A Little Something for Everyone

Savage AF.

bd2db146741d60661d6eb7e4687db20d47eec41c2b0deb972cc3e5b56f85f1b3.jpg

I'm sorry but I'm not liking that Flower Sun and Rain comparison :( At best that was an interesting story surrounded by an atrocious, cumbersome game :( I didnt like it because the tasks were dull, or took far too long.

Hmm, it's not like Flower, Sun & Rain in the gameplay department at all really, it's just a straight up VN but the way that the journalistic side of story tells its story is like FS&R where you wake up over and over, being dripped new story here and there and repeat similar tasks ad infinitum but it's not like you have to run 1000 miles across a beach each way to get to the next destination or anything (lol, that game was such a troll), the pacing in this game is pretty much rapid fire in comparison. It automatically takes you from place to place and is about as linear as a game gets really.

The detective's side of the story (which is the main storyline) is more like a standard VN/adventure game hybrid with the odd puzzles in there. There's a demo anyway and if you do like it and want the full game it will carry across your save from the demo anyway. I think if you're at least curious, try the demo.

Knurek

Newest Steins;Gate Steam patch breaks the game.
Unrecoverable application crash for me when exiting from the fullscreen mode. No problems so far with windowed mode, but take note unless you want to reset your computer after each run. :\

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I'm still confused on the whole Steins;Gate Steam thing. Did they put the PS3 version's 1080p assets in there? And if so, did they bring that to the JAST version, as well?

upandaway

Gonna play ZTD soon, hopefully this weekend, finally. Anyone got a summary or something of VLR before I go in? I was gonna replay it but had no time to do it.

XMSHO

Newest Steins;Gate Steam patch breaks the game.
Unrecoverable application crash for me when exiting from the fullscreen mode. No problems so far with windowed mode, but take note unless you want to reset your computer after each run. :\

Don't have it on my end, try verifying the game files under 'Local Files' in game properties. If it still there you need to wait for the real next update that will fix things.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Gonna play ZTD soon, hopefully this weekend, finally. Anyone got a summary or something of VLR before I go in? I was gonna replay it but had no time to do it.
Honestly you might have a better experience with ZTD going in not remembering what happened in VLR.

upandaway

Aw man, I didn't know that's how it was regarded. That's a bummer.

I'm still so curious though, the VLR cliffhanger was just painful

Knurek

That EVA-Beatrice succession scene...
Say what you will about Umineko, but moments like this more than make up for all the game's flaws in my book.

Sooo... what the fuck happened to Root Double's physical release? I totally forgot I kicked them some money. Looks like they're kinda sorta almost ready to ship the stuff, but it's been really quiet.

I kinda want it.

That sounds like the typical story when it comes to physical goods from a SP Kickstarter.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
That sounds like the typical story when it comes to physical goods from a SP Kickstarter.

They're supposed to send the goods for WAS out... any time now. They were reminding people about addresses last month, saying they were shipping soon. So yeah, maybe soon for that, too? Heh, I still remember getting my artbook for Fault-Milestone One in the mail out of nowhere :p Was a nice surprise, though! (I do wish they translated the manga strips that were in it...)

Marche90

Since it's been a while since I last read anything (was busy clearing the backlog when SMTIVA got in front of me) I picked up an slightly old release, or rather checked what I have and still hadn't played and started Koiken Otome. Eh, it's alright so far. Doesn't do anything special and I have issues with it but it certainly could be worse. I do love how slick the menu is, tho: missing quite a lot of features compared to GIGA's engine (imo, one of the best in terms of what's adjustable) but is quite pleasing in the eyes

Before anyone says anything about Fata Morgana: Yes, I know it released around that time, but I'm having a very, very hard time coming to terms with the art style. Might pick it up in the future, but it'll probably be in a sale. I'm currently going through a rough patch in terms of how much $$$ I have available, so other than SMT I haven't gotten anything else, not even ToCSII, which I'm dying to get.

If it weren't for the fact that I'm at work, I would love to check that Dies Irae page. As for FW, let's see what they got.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Wow I'm apparently very behind on Steam releases! I had no idea that in just this week, Corona Blossom Vol. 2, Myth, AND Ne no Kami released/are releasing! I feel like not a lot of sites are covering them. Siliconera used to be so good about it, too...

Wow I'm apparently very behind on Steam releases! I had no idea that in just this week, Corona Blossom Vol. 2, Myth, AND Ne no Kami released/are releasing! I feel like not a lot of sites are covering them. Siliconera used to be so good about it, too...

Memory's dogma and Root Letter are coming out early November too. But don't buy the Steam version of Ne no Kami, it's butchered with story/character essential scenes cut with no new material to smooth it over. It's the kind of lazy Steam release that really shouldn't be made.

The Siliconera writer who covered VNs doesn't work there anymore and other outlets don't care.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Memory's dogma and Root Letter are coming out early November too. But don't buy the Steam version of Ne no Kami, it's butchered with story/character essential scenes cut with no new material to smooth it over. It's the kind of lazy Steam release that really shouldn't be made.

The Siliconera writer who covered VNs doesn't work there anymore and other outlets don't care.

Oh yeah, I knew about Memory's Dogma and Root Letter (oh and speaking of Sekai, I'm glad that Root Double AND WAS items are finally getting shipped out like this week!! FINALLY!!!)

Too bad that one writer left, that explains how I'm so behind on my news. So hard to find a place with good localized VN news. I guess there's Reddit and such...

godisntheradio

Neo Member
i finished ever17 a while ago and i'm about to start remember11

the question is, should i play never7 first? if playing it would enhance my experience with remember11 in any way i would gladly do so

Wow, the Higurashi ch. 4 graphics and voice patch is already out.
HOLY FUCK, YES!

i finished ever17 a while ago and i'm about to start remember11

the question is, should i play never7 first? if playing it would enhance my experience with remember11 in any way i would gladly do so
There are some implicit references between the games but nothing anywhere near substantial. Never7 can be played later and it is nowhere near R11 in any respect, but it is worth playing later. R11 is far more intense and complicated to boot, so Never7 is perfect if you want to wind down a bit from E17 and have something with less scifi and more of a romance/ SoL focus. Great picks either way.

JulianImp

I finally managed to spot a wild copy of Higanbana part 2 today, and I also picked up Umineko Tsubasa because it was just ¥50. I saw several other VNs but they weren't cheap by comparison, so I ended up getting those two along with another cheap Touhou game.

So the 5pb. Games USA Twitter account tweeted about an upcoming XBLA release of one of their shmups (their support for Xbox 360 continues to astound), but I noticed they linked to an English 5pb. site I've never seen before: http://5pbgames.com

The interesting part is that in the Games section there are several Japanese-only VN releases (which are documented as such). What could this mean? Well, maybe the PR company was told to put 10 games in the portfolio and couldn't find enough games in English. Or maybe there are future localization plans.

I'd think we would see Muv-Luv or Steins;Gate 0 in there if they were including future localizations, though. Anyway, just thought I'd share, even if it really amounts to nothing.

Top Bottom