• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novels Community Thread | A Little Something for Everyone

Steam release art or PS3 art for Umineko? Just bought it, maybe I'll be able to finish the first four episodes by the time the core arc is released.

Also I wonder if reading the manga along the VN would be fun. EP1 of VN -> EP1 of manga -> EP2 of VN -> EP2 of manga etc. I'm reading the manga at some point either way, seeing how it's said to compliment the VN, not be a replacement.

Dunno about the manga, but PS3 art is a practical must if you're not going with the originals if you ask me. Steam sprites are... eeehhhhhh......

Finished Fata Morgana. Amazing VN. Glad I heard about it from here.

Nice to see people coming around to the VNOTY.

aravuus

Dunno about the manga, but PS3 art is a practical must if you're not going with the originals if you ask me. Steam sprites are... eeehhhhhh......

Patched them almost immediately lol

I can see the argument for the facial expressions, but I like the PS3 art. I can change between the old and the new art whenever I want to see creepy faces either way (great feature!)

Bowl0l

Patched them almost immediately lol

I can see the argument for the facial expressions, but I like the PS3 art. I can change between the old and the new art whenever I want to see creepy faces either way (great feature!)
The patches is not official, right?

max_505

Everyone's been saying that this is great, so I immediately bought one. Can't wait to see if this'll crack my all-time favorite VN list. Playing this on the TV right now and there's really no 720 or higher resolution? I keep getting black bars on the sides.

Wichu

Everyone's been saying that this is great, so I immediately bought one. Can't wait to see if this'll crack my all-time favorite VN list. Playing this on the TV right now and there's really no 720 or higher resolution? I keep getting black bars on the sides.

Yeah, it's 4:3 only :(

KLoWn

Just finished The House in Fata Morgana, and it was fuckin awesome.
It started out kinda slow, but when it picked up it never stopped. It was one hell of a ride. It's been a while since I was so immersed in a visual novel.
9/10.

The next on my list in Umineko, which I've been meaning to read for years at this point, but never got to it. So I have to ask, I seem to remember people talking about importing character art from the playstation 3 version (or something like that). Is that something I should look into before starting the game?

*Edit*
Oh people were talking about it just a few posts up lol. Alright, where can I download the Ps3 sprites?

Knurek

*Edit*
Oh people were talking about it just a few posts up lol. Alright, where can I download the Ps3 sprites?

Both the spirtes, voice acting and backgrounds are available on the patch page.

But the patch needs a code, which is only available to customers who bought the PC and PS3 version.

That's a different patch than what I linked to.
No need for any codes, just a valid Steam purchase of Umineko.

Up to Chapter 3 in Root Letter. Wasn't feeling it on the first chapter, but I'm really engaged after finishing the second.

Also just finished Chapter 5 (possibly 6? can't remember) of Code Realize which I'm also really enjoying now.

It seems to be a common theme among VN's that I don't like them much at first but after giving them a while, they nearly always grow on me haha.

Was reading a review on Himatsubushi (Higurashi CH4) out of curiosity and got a huge spoiler while skimming the review (which did have a warning on that paragraph I noticed too late). -________________-

For fuck's sake...

Phii

Banned
Bought The House in Fata Morgana thanks to this thread.
Finished the first door, kinda slow start at first but now I
can't wait to play the rest!

JulianImp

Just to follow up on the not-so-VN-since-it's-actually-a-dating-sim Love Plus, here're my thoughts on it:

At first it was okay, but quickly enough I realized that it was mostly about doing balanced things to bypass obscure flag checks and telling girls exactly what they wanted to win them over. The events were okay-ish, but the way the MC often went on to say and do whatever he wanted without giving me a choice (or maybe it only did so through flag checks?) was a pain because I was expecting a lot more agency than that.

Like, even though the girl interaction is also pretty simple, the other aspects appeared to be even more bare-bones, with a daily routine that merely influenced your stats (like, I could skip out on the MC's part-time job whenever I wanted with no consequences), and character-specific events were displayed on your day planner in advance, so you could actually pick whichever would get you to be with the girl you were shooting for in the first place.

The relationship part of the game is where it gets even more boring, since it looks like I was supposed to grind date spots to level them up and discover new ones or something, and the whole dating system of constantly cuddling up to the girl so that you could kiss her felt pretty repetitive. Like, there was a date-trip the MC and his girlfriend took, and most of the day-to-day planning was scripted and gave little to no choices to the player, consisting mostly of a couple scenery changes. Also, the way the other girls basically ceased to exist the moment the MC started dating one of them was also pretty conspicuous and weird, since up to then it was like the game was dangling them on a stick in case I still wanted to romance them, but then poof, they were all but gone from the MC's school life.

All in all, I'd say the game was a bit too barebones and railroaded in terms of actual simulation and story, which was a pretty big letdown. Like, the few times the MC meddled into the girls' personal issues he was always doing so by himself (with no player input), making the scenes not as engaging as if the game had actually alowed me to pick what to say and do (even if it had only been an illusion of choice), and things don't actually get that much more personal when you start dating the girls either, making it less about understanding the girls and bonding with them and more about farming them for kisses or something.

Shuffle is now available on Steam:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/537100/

header.jpg

Shoyz

Fata Morgana:
In the fake story, reading the text log shows a lot of it scrawled out, text replaced/added, and even some secret narration from the witch. Is there any other secrets like this in the game?

Last game I finished was Tokyo Necro. It was ok, something that only really works because of the insane production values. Story got really weird with living cities procreating and the main villains motifs don't make much sense.

It's a shame because the world building is ace and the game sounds and looks amazing, so it's all extremely well realized. Frozen cyberpunk Tokyo with renegade war veteran Necromancers that need to be put down makes for an amazing setting, all of it just goes into the wrong direction.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Fata Morgana:
In the fake story, reading the text log shows a lot of it scrawled out, text replaced/added, and even some secret narration from the witch. Is there any other secrets like this in the game?
Don't think so mate but keep an eye on it anyway. Has been a while since the last time I played it. Keep enjoying it and post more updates

KLoWn

Fata Morgana:
Oh wow... I did not notice that. Very cool.

Fata Morgana:
that REALLY spooked me when I accidentally found out, lmao. Don't really know any other instances myself.

if i knew i would had enjoyed root double as much as i did , i would have gotten the physical goods too ...

yes it was an amazing experience, i feel already nostalgic about it, together with Fata Morgana my favourite one this year and Steins Gate 0 will close the circle next week, the unbeatable trio :D

Enigma is quite good so far too, i'm really surprised!

Wichu

I also got my Root Double CE in. I'm disappointed that ROUTE EXIT (the Xtend Edition OP song) isn't on the soundtrack CD, but full-length Double Bible is sweet.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone know if the Root Double Steam key also contains the OST digital key? I want to sell it, but not sure if it contains both or not. Was just labelled as "Steam key".

XMSHO

I also got my Root Double CE in. I'm disappointed that ROUTE EXIT (the Xtend Edition OP song) isn't on the soundtrack CD, but full-length Double Bible is sweet.

Then it's the same as the original soundtrack without discs 3&4 (the Xbox 360 ver. drama CD). Did they include bonus tracks? disc two in the original contained a bunch of them.
And I don't think ROUTE EXIT were ever sold as a single or contained in a soundtrack sadly.

has anyone already read Steins 0? i've read mixed opinions so far, many say definitely inferior, other say a lot of improvements compared to the first one.

And what about fanservice, i thought this one would have a lot less, it looks a lot more dark and gloomy, but some say it even has more exaggerated scenes.

i don't want to lead my high expectations to disappointment

Shizuka

has anyone already read Steins 0? i've read mixed opinions so far, many say definitely inferior, other say a lot of improvements compared to the first one.

And what about fanservice, i thought this one would have a lot less, it looks a lot more dark and gloomy, but some say it even has more exaggerated scenes.

i don't want to lead my high expectations to disappointment

Embargo.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Looks like some modders provided some fixes for the Steam version of Steins;Gate.

s3S5bQA.png
g6muEHx.png

http://steamcommunity.com/app/412830/discussions/0/215439774868934160/
Better typography: Adds word-wrapping to the phone and displays text in a nicer font.
Proper English: Fixes various typos/mistranslations in menu text.
High-quality CGs: Replaces low-quality (more heavily upscaled/compressed) translated images with edits of the high-quality Japanese originals.
High-quality FMV music: For openings and endings, plays high-quality BGM tracks instead of the included low-quality audio tracks.
Karaoke subtitles: Adds styled karaoke subtitles to openings and endings.
Forced texture filtering: Greatly improves visual quality during zoom-ins and at sub-1080p resolutions.
Black screen fix: Workaround for issue where game hangs at black screen when exiting while in fullscreen mode.
Higher-quality videos: Adds subtitles to some translated videos, allowing you to use the high-quality Japanese originals. (Requires manual setup, see installation instructions)

XMSHO

^ When the developer is incompetent to fix their shit in timely manner, wait for Mages to break it with their never coming update.
If someone is happy with the patch they should disable steam updates.

DrDaxxy

Neo Member
Looks like some modders provided some fixes for the Steam version of Steins;Gate.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/412830/discussions/0/215439774868934160/

Hi guys, just wanted to let you know that I'm here and can answer questions about this.
Though we don't want to spam the thread with this, so you should probably head to the Steam forums for support.

This was just a side project of a side project. As for bigger things, we're currently looking for a translator for CHAOS;HEAD Noah, see our recruitment post if you're interested.

^ When the developer is incompetent to fix their shit in timely manner, wait for Mages to break it with their never coming update.
If someone is happy with the patch they should disable steam updates.

We do plan to provide updates in case an official patch breaks the mod (assuming we hear about it).

XMSHO

Hi guys, just wanted to let you know that I'm here and can answer questions about this.
Though we don't want to spam the thread with this, so you should probably head to the Steam forums for support.

This was just a side project of a side project. As for bigger things, we're currently looking for a translator for CHAOS;HEAD Noah, see our recruitment post if you're interested.

We do plan to provide updates in case an official patch breaks the mod (assuming we hear about it).

We really should thank you, I never was sure if Mages will care to fix their broken downscaling. you did an amazing job.
If you have time in the next revision of the mod, could you make the game keep the user generated Quick-Saves after closing? I don't know who tell Mages it was smart to reset them after closing the game.

We really should thank you, I never was sure if Mages will care to fix their broken downscaling. you did an amazing job.
If you have time in the next revision of the mod, could you make the game keep the user generated Quick-Saves after closing? I don't know who tell Mages it was smart to reset them after closing the game.
If it's anything like the PS3/Vita versions, quick saves are only saved when the system data is saved (e.g. when you make a full save or go back to the title screen). Still kind of dumb.

Hik0boshi

I was thinking about playing Chusingura 46+1 on Steam and at the same time using the Japanese version of the game to watch the deleted scenes. Do you guys know of any guide or some other way to know when these scenes will pop up? (In these situations I would jump to the Japanese version, watch the scene and then return to the English version)

Top Bottom