• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novels Community Thread | A Little Something for Everyone

Yuuichi

gave them
蒼の彼方のフォーリズム
月に寄りそう乙女の作法
フローラル・フローラブ
Note about this one: might be surprise of the year, NOTHING like the last two games Sagaplanets put out. Turns out Touta can write; shockingly dark though.

Yuuichi

Hmm, I'm not sure if that can happen (as much as I'd really love for it to), given the fact it seems MG no longer has a working relationship with Navel.

I have no idea what happened there, but it sure doesn't seem like they have one with anyone else; the shuffle steam port seemed more like a one off, especially since it was a ps2 backport.

I sure can't think of any other company that would pick them up, except maybe frontwing.

Taruranto

Woah, I wanted to re-read some parts of FM and I accidentally ended up discovering the
"Prologue" part in the endings list. I completely missed that.

Extra-->Ending list-->Bottom on the list "Prologue".

Nope, nothing there. That said, I *am* missing Endings 6 and 7 so that's probably why. What does that option do, is it like a hidden scene or something?

By the way, finally read all of the backstage and it wrecked my fucking shit just by thanking me for playing. Well, that and saying that A Requiem For Innocence was going to release in 2016.

XMSHO

Nope, nothing there. That said, I *am* missing Endings 6 and 7 so that's probably why. What does that option do, is it like a hidden scene or something?

By the way, finally read all of the backstage and it wrecked my fucking shit just by thanking me for playing. Well, that and saying that A Requiem For Innocence was going to release in 2016.

Yep, you need to complete all the endings to get it,
It just a scene at the very beginning of the game, Before xxxxx arrived to the mansion.

Sciel

Buckle the fuck up. I don't say that lightly.

Looking forward to it!

Finished Door 2.

I wouldn't say i found it very good. Actually, I don't even know what to think about it.

EDIT

Finished Door 3.

Was a bit sickening to read but I fucking knew it

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Looking forward to it!

Finished Door 2.

I wouldn't say i found it very good. Actually, I don't even know what to think about it.

EDIT

Finished Door 3.

Was a bit sickening to read but I fucking knew it

732.gif

So... I'm playing Starless.
...Yeah.
The amount of h-scenes in this game is fucking INSANE. You know how many of them there is?
There's
eighty fucking four
h-scenes in this game.

As for impressions... (spoilers for one ending/route/whatever)
I got into it mostly for the characters though I knew what the content would be like. Thought I'd just treat it like horror. That... didn't go so well, in ways more than one, lol. Some scenes were quite on the enjoyable end of hardcore while others were difficult to read through (enemas, anyone?) but it isn't overall that difficult to stomach after reading Euphoria. Ended up getting the ending where Mitarai breaks a vase and ends up getting sold off and impregnated. I just went by the least risky choices, wasn't really aiming for Mitarai (was aiming for Marika or Maria lol). Either way, I find it pretty good for what it is without 80% of the... things in there being really my thing. Doesn't help that there's like 10 endings ;_; I can't believe there's so much to read through (it's really draining to read).

It's a nukige, so having a lot of H-scenes is kind of the point. Starless is definitely a classic, though when it comes to Sei Shoujo's games I personally prefer DominancE. It's pretty much Starless in space.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
H-games are the only things I read spoilers for. Not into it, but my curiosity is there to read the details. Every time, I remember why they are not for me :x

Sciel

House in Fata Morgana

And I'm done. It was a brilliant read, Unique and very atypical of a VN., Everything just came together seamlessly and most if not all plot points were resolved (
How did Michel go from Female to Male so quickly?, I've read online that he was Intersex but would his parents not have noticed at all when he was born?
).

I think if anything, the only thing I have issue with is that I didn't really like a few tracks (1-2?) in the OST and that
I really didn't care for Yukimasa's struggle (Door 2 is the weakest in the whole game imo)

Wichu

House in Fata Morgana

And I'm done. It was a brilliant read, Unique and very atypical of a VN., Everything just came together seamlessly and most if not all plot points were resolved (
How did Michel go from Female to Male so quickly?, I've read online that he was Intersex but would his parents not have noticed at all when he was born?
).

Not if they didn't know about his condition. They would have seen his body and just labeled him as female. But he was never female, he just lacked outer male genitals - his 'transformation' was just male puberty.

Sciel

Thinking of starting Muv Luv next. Have a few questions though.

1) I've actually tried playing Muv Luv before but I remember the engine being an utter bitch and giving me utter hell (tons of errors). Is the steam release running on the same one (ruGP or something) ?

2) I've heard...not so good things about Muv Luv Extra (and to a lesser degree Unlimited). How long exactly would it take to finish the bare minimum in extra...since I don't really want to play a sub-par 30-hr moege.

Not if they didn't know about his condition. They would have seen his body and just labeled him as female. But he was never female, he just lacked outer male genitals - his 'transformation' was just male puberty.
Makes perfect sense.
Puberty's a bitch lol

1) I've actually tried playing Muv Luv before but I remember the engine being an utter bitch and giving me utter hell (tons of errors). Is the steam release running on the same one (ruGP or something) ?

2) I've heard...not so good things about Muv Luv Extra (and to a lesser degree Unlimited). How long exactly would it take to finish the bare minimum in extra...since I don't really want to play a sub-par 30-hr moege.
Dunno about #1. I'd say the two routes (or was it just one?) you need to advance to Unlimited takes around 15 hours I guess. It made me hate the cast so much that it made me dislike most of Unlimited and Alternative though (read it beforehand regardless) lol.

Buzzi

The engine should be modern PCs proof, although it's not really flawless, there are some audio/graphics bugs and a couple times the language changed to jap for reasons. Nothing terrible though.

Extra is kinda difficult to digest yes, all routes take about 30h and the two main ones (needed for Unlimited originally) at least 20h.

Sciel

The engine should be modern PCs proof, although it's not really flawless, there are some audio/graphics bugs and a couple times the language changed to jap for reasons. Nothing terrible though.

Extra is kinda difficult to digest yes, all routes take about 30h and the two main ones (needed for Unlimited originally) at least 20h.
The Steam release of Muv Luv uses a much more modern version of the engine. The old one didn't even work on Windows versions past 7.

Glad to hear about the engine!.

Dunno about #1. I'd say the two routes (or was it just one?) you need to advance to Unlimited takes around 15 hours I guess. It made me hate the cast so much that it made me dislike most of Unlimited and Alternative though (read it beforehand regardless) lol.
That's a bit...concerning considering Alternative is what I want to get to lol.

elyetis

I'm not sure why it would be never given how well Rance is doing for MG.
Just have that feeling that those games who have a bigger emphasis on 'gameplay' don't seem to get much love.
But I did forgot about Rance ( to be honest I would have prefered Sengoku Rance ), and could only think of Seinarukana ( took years ), Eiyuu*Senki ( still expecting it to take quite some time *JAST* even with an existing translation which probably helped a lot in seeing it coming ) and maybe Girlish Grimoire Littlewitch Romanesque ( even if gameplay wise I wouldn't say it goes as far as the other example or Eushully games ).
But MG isn't JAST and if Rance do that well maybe I can be more optimistic about the chance of seeing those games coming to us ( & fingers crossed, with a hard copy release ).

Buzzi

Finally read Higu chap 3.
It was already my favourite in the anime but as far as the novel goes it's so much better than the first two chapters, I finally see some Umi vibe in it and less stupid weeb jokes or repetitive club games for hours. The writing gets better and better too in portraying the characters and describing the scenes. And the music is starting to find its crazy identity.

Speaking of the OST, I saw in the end credits of the old MG version the names of zts, Dai and all other Umi composers, what role did they have since in this "new" version they're not starred at all?

Looking forward to Himatsubishi in some months, next I'll go with the infamous (?) R11.

aravuus

But you said it was okay!

True. It's just one of those games that you maybe even moderately enjoy while playing it, but they start getting worse and worse in your mind as the months and years go by. There are some JRPGs that do this for me too.

I wish I had time to replay it, would be cool to see how I'd like it now.

It was already my favourite in the anime but as far as the novel goes it's so much better than the first two chapters, I finally see some Umi vibe in it and less stupid weeb jokes or repetitive club games for hours. The writing gets better and better too in portraying the characters and describing the scenes. And the music is starting to find its crazy identity.

Speaking of the OST, I saw in the end credits of the old MG version the names of zts, Dai and all other Umi composers, what role did they have since in this "new" version they're not starred at all?

Looking forward to Himatsubishi in some months, next I'll go with the infamous (?) R11.

Remember11 is bloody amazing.

Also, just as a heads-up, Himatsubushi is out already (as well as the PS3 assets patch, if you were waiting for that).

Hexa

Never posted here before, but felt I needed to post something somewhere...
LTTP: Just finished G-senjou no Maou. Just did everything after chapter 4 to the end in one straight shot. I can't handle all these emotions. Too much. Every small thing had me a wreck. I probably get emotional way too easily but god damn... that was incredible. I'm now listening to Close Your Eyes on loop. I don't know why. Emotional overload. But doing it anyway.
No idea what to read next. I feel I should read something mind numbing like Konyuu Fantasy or whatever next to take a break. But I also kind of want to do something intense (possibly similar to G-Senjou?) as well. Hmmmm...

GHound

Good shit, I wasn't expecting them any time soon and certainly not both in the same year.

LTTP: Just finished G-senjou no Maou. Just did everything after chapter 4 to the end in one straight shot. I can't handle all these emotions. Too much. Every small thing had me a wreck. I probably get emotional way too easily but god damn... that was incredible. I'm now listening to Close Your Eyes on loop. I don't know why. Emotional overload. But doing it anyway.
No idea what to read next. I feel I should read something mind numbing like Konyuu Fantasy or whatever next to take a break. But I also kind of want to do something intense (possibly similar to G-Senjou?) as well. Hmmmm...

Read it some years back. Good stuff. Something similar would be their earlier work Sharin no Kuni but a quick search shows that the official western release probably isn't until later in the year. Maybe check out Grisaia no Kajitsu.

The obvious answer for something similar to G-senjou no Maou is Sharin no Kuni, another visual novel from the same writer and company. Though the official release for that isn't until later this year.

Taruranto

Higurashi OST situation is kind of a mess until you get to Kai, assuming they will actually fix the Steam release, I recall MG version missing some of the best songs.

Higurashi OST situation is kind of a mess until you get to Kai, assuming they will actually fix the Steam release, I recall MG version missing some of the best songs.

I've read all of the first 4 chapters and oddly enough I actually really loved the soundtrack. Too bad I can't listen to any of it (especially the SoL tracks!) on YouTube because there's spoilers everywhere and the anime fandom has taken over lol

Sciel

Picked up Steins;Gate 0 for the vita today (Muv Luv is on hold for now!).

I've actually been hesitant to pick this up for quite a while since i really hate
Prequels/"Mid-quels" in all media. To me, It always seems to end feeling like a cash-grab since the characters(every new character is going to die?)/events (never referenced in the original story) end up having no real significance to the original story.

Nonetheless, here's hoping this is good!

Sciel

Picked up Steins;Gate 0 for the vita today (Muv Luv is on hold for now!).

I've actually been hesitant to pick this up for quite a while since i really hate
Prequels/"Mid-quels" in all media. To me, It always seems to end feeling like a cash-grab since the characters(every new character is going to die?)/events (never referenced in the original story) end up having no real significance to the original story.

Nonetheless, here's hoping this is good!
Finished the True End for this. Overall, I found it pretty good, if not a little convoluted / hard to understand.

1. The True End is so anticlimatic. The game literally just cuts off and the credits roll. I guess this is the major issue with a midquel, the tie-in to the original basically forces the story into a corner from the very start.

2. I thought the new characters other than Maho were a bit sub-par. I didn't like Kagari at all and really found her character rather shoe-horned into the plot. (Why does she look like Kurisu anyways?)

3. Considering how well this game sells/sold, the art is sometimes really....bad.

Top Bottom