• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novels Community Thread | A Little Something for Everyone

Gears

Just completed Saya No Uta. I did not like it at all :/

Anyone know of something similar to katawa shoujo? I tend to like the sappy romance stuff I guess haha

jzbluz

Ho ho ho.

But which one(s) I wonder? The actual amount of quality BL titles is pretty low. We're getting spoiled by getting No, Thank You!!! first*, because it sets the bar really, really high.

(*I know it's not the first, but it's been a looooooooooong time.)

I can kinda see them releasing Gakuen Heaven, especially since it has an all ages version, if they don't pick some shitty doujin game.

Well , well

blue_statement.png

That's all i'll say for now

Gears

Well with all this blue and red text, now I must check it out. Once I finish steins gate and hatoful boyfriend that is

Yuuichi

In one of the most shocking turn of events in my entire time in this community, Fuwanovel has just announced major renovations, along with the fact that they will be dropping all torrents. (nsfw-ish, it's the fuwa forums)

I'm just going to copy paste my comment from reddit about it:
I still can't believe this is actually happening. It's a big change in image for what I've always regarded as the most destructive force in the western community. Much of that stemmed from Aaeru's views and the actions he took as a result and with him long gone, this is the right decision and hopefully a strong step towards helping to legitimize the medium worldwide. I still have my own bias against the site because of it's history, but I really do believe that this is a major step in the right direction for the community as a whole.

I have a bit of a history with Aaeru (hence my dislike of the site), if anyone's really curious I would be glad to elaborate at some point. And if you don't know who she is, don't worry about it.

Marche90

^I've lived in a lie my whole life. I thought he was a she! xD
Eh, nevermind that. Anyway, I hope that what the admin said it's not just hot air. Also, interviews with Kotaku and IGN? I wonder what are they going to say there

In other news, with just 20 minutes to spare, I decided to pull the trigger and buy the Humble VN Bundle (I know it's not officially called that, but it's essentially what it was)... even if I know that most likely they'll sit in my backlog for quite a while ;_;
Ended up installing Steam on this spare machine to claim them all, however...

EDIT: Finished Analogue: A hate story. I have to say, I'm surprised. I didn't thought I would have liked it as much as I did. I would be kicking myself if I hadn't payed the BTA. I'll start Hate Plus maybe tomorrow. I absolutely loved the command shell, and the
Meltdown sequence
was one of the highlights for me.

max_505

In one of the most shocking turn of events in my entire time in this community, Fuwanovel has just announced major renovations, along with the fact that they will be dropping all torrents. (nsfw-ish, it's the fuwa forums)

I have a bit of a history with Aaeru (hence my dislike of the site), if anyone's really curious I would be glad to elaborate at some point. And if you don't know who she is, don't worry about it.

Care to elaborate? I'm down with PMs if you don't want to post it in public. I'm just really curious, so I probably won't have much to say, though.

Back to the issue: I'm definitely surprised that it's happening, since Fuwanovel helped me get started on VNs. I sure hope it's for the best.

Care to elaborate? I'm down with PMs if you don't want to post it in public. I'm just really curious, so I probably won't have much to say, though.

Back to the issue: I'm definitely surprised that it's happening, since Fuwanovel helped me get started on VNs. I sure hope it's for the best.

Same here, I would also like you to elaborate.

Lain

I'm the curious type, so I'd love to know more.
About fuwanovel, it's the first time I hear of it.

Finished Baldr Sky Zero 1+2. Man, whose bright idea was it to lock the epilogue behind a second playthrough of the final route, that shit takes hours even with the skip function.

I probably would have liked this more if I hadn't constantly compared the games to Baldr Sky, but with Zero being a spin-off story that's kind of impossible. The setting is SAS, a fucked up South-East Asia where a human life is worth nothing and which is shut off from the rest of the world, both in reality and within the virtual A.I. -network. Hilariously enough the story starts the exact same way as in BS: the protag wakes up on a battlefield with amnesia, having no idea who he is or what he's doing here. He's picked up by a PMC called Skoll, gets named Edward by his new boss and so begins his life as a mercenary.

I really liked Edward as a protag. Compared to Kou from BS he's kind of hard-boiled, his number one priority is survival, number two is protecting his woman, he doesn't give much of a shit about anything else, including his missing memories. The problem is almost everyone else: the main type of communication within Skoll is shit talking. That's pretty much all these people do. They talk shit 24/7. While on a mission. During meals. Playing board games. It just gets really tiring after a while. This is an important mission briefing, could you guys maybe stop going off on a tangent about Franziska's non-existing tits? Please? This results in generally unlikable heroines. Thank god Marelle is the main heroine because she's genuinely awesome and entertaining and not an annoying shit-talker.

All of the routes also feel like appetizers for the main course, which is the final route, Marelle's. Compared to Baldr Sky where every route leading up to Sora's felt meaningful and important it's like BSZ is just constantly teasing, which is just frustrating. That being said, Marelle's route is pretty great. Plenty of excitement and "holy shit"-moments, even though the conclusion feels like a way too perfect happy end and there is way too much of genius master programmer saving the day .

As far as gameplay is concerned it's a step back from BS in almost every aspect. Nerfed Plug-In system, only 6 primary weapon-systems in battle which greatly reduces combo potential. Baldr Sky was DMC, Baldr Sky Zero is Dante's Inferno. I guess going full 3D came with a cost.

But yeah, good experience overall, even though the good stuff mostly starts with the second game.

Tohsaka

The Japanese version of Xblaze isn't even out yet. I guess they're fast-tracking the localization since they have a good relationship with Arcsys.

jzbluz

I haven't been around much and I'll tell some stories and have some other things this weekend (lol midterms) but for now have this:

http://www.amazon.com/xblaze-Lost-Memories-PlayStation-Vita/dp/B00U0TLYBA/ref=sr_1_2?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1424979186&sr=1-2&keywords=Xblaze+Lost%3A+Memories

apparently AKSYS liked how XBLAZE sold, sequel on amazon (ps3 and vita)
ヽ(´ー`)┌

Was this leaked? They just announced it today.

I hope they announce more games soon. I need to know if they're releasing an otoge or not.

Marche90

Guess ArcSys's love affair with Aksys isn't done, then!

In other news, the good one is that I finally got my laptop back! The bad one is that most likely I won't buy a Win8.1 tablet for a while :( The only one cheap I managed to find only has a 1024*600 display, and while I normally would be fine with it, I'm worried about how such display would play with VNs with a 1280*720 resolution... or if I can play them scaled, how bad would that look.

At least my laptop is an 11-inch, 3 lb, so portability is not an issue. Oh well, maybe in the following months

max_505

Shit just got real in Rewrite.

Just saw the dragon and that scene where Shizuru and Lucia attack it. Huh, I'm surprised that Rewrite's slightly darker than the other Key VNs I've played. I expected some kind of action because of the opening movie, but not dragons, huge black dogs, and other stuff. WTH is going on. I love it.

Akane best girl... so far. I'm saving her route for last.

Jazz573

I wanted to play something lighthearted in between F/SN and my next VN, so I played through the copy of SonoHana 1, that I had. It was a nice, sweet little game. But now I'm ready to play a more serious VN again.

I have a few ideas for what to play next. The one's I'm thinking of are:

Fate / hollow ataraxia (I kind of want a break from the Fate universe, so I probably won't pick this)
Steins;Gate (I recently got this during the JAST USA sale)
Eien no Aselia (same as above)
YU-NO (I've wanted to play this for sometime; I've always really enjoyed the music)
Planetarian (I've never played a Key game before, this might be good warm up for when I get my copy of Clannad from the kickstarter)

In case you're wondering what I've played before, I'm just going to list my last few VNs, going from most recent to least recent:

SonoHana 1 (Most recent)
Fate / Stay Night
Remember11
Ever17
Never7
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Least recent)

Oh, and before I forget, here's my VNDB list Don't mind my huge wishlist, I add pretty much anything that interests me even in the slightest, so it's kind of getting out of control. Sometimes I don't even really pay attention to what I'm adding.

So anyways, I'd just like to know which of the VNs you guys think I should play next. I don't mind if you suggest a game not on the list though.

I'd go with Steins;Gate or if you want something short, Planetarian. Hollow Ataraxia is 80 percent lighthearted fluff, so it's not the way to go if you want something serious.

Jazz573

I didn't literally mean "serious", more along the lines of something with an actual story, not that SonoHana has no story, but it's just the typical type of story in a nukige. I know that F/HA is pretty much a fan disc, so I was expecting a lot fluff anyways, and that honestly doesn't bother me that much. I'm still not going to play it next, as it's long and I want a break from the Fate series. I think I'm going to play Planetarian since it's short, and then from there I'll decide what to play next. Aselia is very long so I probably won't play it next, so I'll be deciding between Steins;Gate and YU-NO. I'm planning on playing both of them at some point, so I guess it doesn't really matter which one I play next.

Sonohana 1 is the worst of the entire series, if you didn't hate it , do try the 2 and 3 games

They don't break the formula but they have much better girls

Top Bottom